Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football meatballs

Comment

I thought I'd try spatchcocking this year as I like the idea of faster cooking and more Maillard merriment. The wife took one look at the foul deed I rendered upon the fowl fellow and quipped with her usual smugness "What the hell happened to that bird, did it get tossed from the WKRP Copter?" Smug wives can often be insufferable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	243474

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      richinlbrg and Jerod Broussard, while not a thing of beauty it turned out very well. The only thing I didn't like was the skin on the underside of the thighs were not as crispy as I would like. I'll have experiment with raising the bird above the pan

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Great to hear.

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike , sounds like you have it nailed! CONGRATS!

Forget the looks, it is all about the taste, IMHO, and I think you have the code broken with respect to getting the lower ski. Crispier.

Hot dogs with gochujang BBQ sauce, bacon, shredded cabbage, pickled shredded carrot, cucumber, chives, touch of mayo. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	243549

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      You sure got my "bun-dog-mustard-sometime chili" combo beat.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      No mayo on hot dogs! You must have missed the memo. Or catsup!

Spatchcocked 3 birds (Due to an error in the purchasing department - order was for one bird and 2 turkey breasts). A bird on each Weber kettle and one on the WSM.

Name:	20161124_150234.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	368.1 KB
ID:	243571

Name:	20161124_124057.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	243572

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice lineup and workspace. I'll bet your neighbors, not to mention the FD, love it when you fire 2 or 3 of these up!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Great lookin' results, nice array of mostly Webers! Especially glad to see th' ol' skool MBH gettin' its glory on 'The Day of Days' For Cookin'' ;-) Well Done, indeed!

• Gator Lau
      Gator Lau commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice BBQ corner! There's only one missing.

Burgers again, and once again cooked SV to 133F and torch seared. Served with dill rye, fries from the air fryer and green beans with butter. I know, I know. Where's the turkey? Making it today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	burger2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	37.1 KB ID:	243754
    Last edited by mgaretz; November 26, 2016, 12:47 AM.

Comment

I think I'll have pulled beef for breakfast tomorrow!

Name:	IMG_0592.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	243853

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful setup.

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        My little table is from a yard sale. It was purchased for about $10 and painted with extra paint. It's lightweight metal and easily positioned for whichever cooker I'm using. I've got another one without side shelves that has a pullout shelf.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        This is eerily similar to a pic I seen from David Parrish recently, same gear different locale....

Low carb nachos using chicharrones.......

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        This looks INCREDIBLE!!!! Chicharonnes instead of chips. Absolutely BRILLIANT!!!! And we need a presentation &photography tips and tricks write up, so we can all learn to display our creations so adeptly!!!

Smoked a ham today on my GMG DB...
      Attached Files

Comment

Name:	IMG_0455.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	471.0 KB
ID:	244005 A couple turkey breasts using SNS. Moist, moist, moist

Comment

My turkey. For the most part done to MH's recipe. Dry brined for close to 24 hours. Oiled and seasoned then smoked on the Rec Tec at 325F to a breast IT of 162F. I also used an Amaze-N-Tube for additional smoke. It turned out great. The white meat was nice and juicy, skin was crispy and the flavor was perfect. Served with mashed cauliflower, two types of stuffing (regular and gluten free), green beans with butter and almonds, and mushroom gravy.

Name:	turkey16.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	244010

Name:	turkey16p.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	244011

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful cook, mgaretz! Thanks for sharing, as always! Informative, and inspiring!

• Gator Lau
          Gator Lau commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! Good color both in and out.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful!

My chuck roasts finished around 9 this morning. I had a plate of pulled beef after already having breakfast but I couldn't resist. Here's a quick rundown.
        • 2 chuck roasts weighing 5.1 pounds total.
        • Dry brined for 28 hours.
        • BBBR.
        • Cooked on my 22" Weber + SnS, using my PartyQ.
        • 2 chunks of cherry.
        • Cook time was 15 hours, averaging 236. No crutch.
        • Chucks were 209 and 205 when prober tender.
        • 1 hour in a faux cambro.
        • Bark was off the chart!

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	244127

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Unfortunately no. I had no eggs in the house and a day full of appointments, but a plate of just pulled beef was mighty fine.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I think I love you

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          To be clear, this is not my plate! Good one CaptainMike!

BBQ'd chicken drumsticks on the GMG DB tonight. The family approved.
        Attached Files

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          Gorgeous legs! I'd be glad to eat a few of those!

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful

Brisket cook!

Yesterday I got up at 3am for a brisket cook even though my alarm was set for 4. When I realized I still had an hour left to sleep I got excited and that was the end of sleeping. I do that sometimes the morning of a cook. Got an hour of Pit and coffee and Disqus in while I was waiting.

1 Prime packer @ 13lbs pre-trimmed, and 2 raised-by-friends-and-butchered-locally grass fed small briskets, avg 4lbs each. All 3 pieces were dry brined Thurs a.m. for about a 42hr dry brine.

Here's the packer after trimming. Still kinda looks like a 13lber but you can see how much height I trimmed off of it in fat by looking at the scale pic:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG0895.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.23 MB ID:	244224

My math tells me I got about a 66% yield. Finished brisket (above) transformed from 13lbs to ~8.6lbs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	briskettrimmings.PNG Views:	1 Size:	89.2 KB ID:	244225

But I trim pretty aggressively. I like to remove most of the fat between the two muscles, yet leave them attached.

Point= right; flat= top & left.

Click image for larger version  Name:	briskettrim1.PNG Views:	1 Size:	78.0 KB ID:	244226

Click image for larger version  Name:	briskettrim2.PNG Views:	1 Size:	68.9 KB ID:	244227

Click image for larger version  Name:	briskettrim3.PNG Views:	1 Size:	80.4 KB ID:	244228

Flat on top, point on bottom. Cleaned out in between but not fully separated.

Click image for larger version  Name:	briskettrim4.PNG Views:	1 Size:	68.8 KB ID:	244229

And here's one of the two smaller grass-fed pieces. Some flat (top) and point (bottom). Smaller steer too. I didn't trim as much fat between these since there wasn't as much.Click image for larger version  Name:	brisketgrassfed.PNG Views:	1 Size:	69.4 KB ID:	244230

Because when I woke up the weather was spitting rain, cold (33 deg), and VERY windy, I decided I wouldn't mess with the Yoder. 26" and 22" kettles to the rescue.
        • 4:35am ~30 coals lit in one chimney. SnS and SnSXL both setup with unlit coals. Water heating inside on the stove since my wife was using my favorite microwavable pitcher for tea or some nonsense.
        • 4:50am 14 coals added to 22" kettle's SnS, 16 coals added to 26" kettle's SnS. Began putting BBBR on all three briskets, then a teeny bit of topping salt on all after the rub.
        • 5:00 a.m. Placed 2 chunks each of cherry & post oak on each SnS (my personal favorite beef smoking blend), and added the water to the SnSs
        • 5:05a.m. Briskets placed on kettles fat cap up, temp probes in place. 26" kettle (larger brisket) at 146 deg; 22" kettle (2 smaller ones) at 181 deg
        • 5:50 a.m. 26" =204 deg and 22" = 199 deg
        • 6:30ish, I had both kettles around the 225-230 range.
        • 9:30a.m. Tunked and stirred the coals, swept ash. Flipped all briskets to fat cap down to bark up the top.
        • 11:00am Added a little more water to both water reservoirs and another smaller piece of oak to each.
        • ~1:00 pm Most pieces were from 176 to 187 deg. Wrapped the larger brisket and one smaller one in foil, the other smaller one in butcher paper. Added more coals to each SnS.
        • ~3pm Foiled pieces were in the 194-200 range (except the paper wrapped one). Lowered kettle temps to 190-200.
        • ~4pm, guests arrive. Lowered 26" kettle to 170ish to 'power cambro', placed the foil wrapped small brisket in it. Paper wrapped brisket stayed in 22" kettle with temp up at 230 or so.
        • 4:05pm - wine flowing!
        • ~5pm Paper-wrapped brisket up to 197. Second kettle now lowered to 160-170, all pieces 'power cambroing'
        • 5:55pm two halibut steaks placed on 22" kettle indirectly, in foil boat. Re-stoked coals to red hot, added an oak chunk.
        • 6:05pm dinner.

I only snapped 2 pics after that. You all know how it is, too many people so sneak a couple quick ones and KEEP SLICING!

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisketfinished.PNG Views:	1 Size:	81.7 KB ID:	244231

Comment

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks awesome!! How did the results vary from the different grades and foil vs paper wrap?

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks guys! TheCountofQ the grass fed was slightly tougher, only slightly, more like a tender steak than a tender brisket, and it tasted a little gamier...still great. The paper one took a good hour longer, but had a little more firm bark. My favorite was the foiled prime brisket, it was my best effort yet, unreal good. I got it for $2.79/lb and it was better than a Wagyu one I made from SRF which was amazing itself but about 4x the cost.

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          That is pure love right there, well done!

Great cook, and info, Huskee .
        Dreamin' about th' aroma, n' taste.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank ya sir!

Huskee - I agree with da Bone - great cook and write-up.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank ya too!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here