Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version  Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg Views:	1 Size:	46.3 KB ID:	237620 First brisket on the PBC. Best Ive ever made.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	237621 Had enough coals left for some chicken.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      OMGoodness, HawkerXP , you had me at smoke ring! That's a beauty of a meal right there. Congrats!

Kathryn

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      7 lb flat in 5 hours. Crutched at 160. Super moist. Thanks, for all your help Doc.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      PBC ROCKS!! Always imparts a wonderful smoke ring!!

Decided to do a test this weekend. Have heard many people say just salt & pepper is the best rub - on almost anything. Like most of us I have my fav rub. I call it Mexican pepper blend (and I stole it). Smoked 2 slabs BB ribs. Same size. Same rack on the KBQ. 4.5 hours at 245. Pulled them off and I did my own taste test, but also had my wife do a taste test. Click image for larger version

Name:	11-6-16-ribs-preplowlow.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	237632

Name:	11-6-16ribslowlow.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	237633
    Every-bodies taste is obviously their own so nothing against the S&P folks. But now we know for sure. The Mexican pepper blend won hands down and it was not very close. So now I know!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. I tried the salt and pepper thing on brisket. Blah! No wonder people feak out with my PBC'd Big Bad Beef Rubbed stuff. Although I modified the rub, I stole it too!!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the experiment. I know salt and pepper is popular as a beef rub but had never heard of that for ribs. Based on your review I won't try it.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I like S n P, but pork needs flavor! That Mexican pepper blend sounds great.

Beef stew with chuck, carrots, parsnips, potato, onion, celery, peas and barley. Lately I have been making this in the electric pressure cooker, but yesterday's schedule wasn't conducive to that, so I went back to the slow cooker.

I made it a semi-dry stew on purpose by upping the amount of barley and lowering the liquid content. Normally I use 1 cup of chicken stock plus 1/4 cup of red wine. For this batch I used 1/2 cup of water and no stock or wine. It was very good.

Name:	stew5.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	237731

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been craving a good stew lately....this looks great. Dinty Moore got nuthin' on you!

Smoked some ribs a while back. I froze the trimmings.....until today.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      I ate many a ribs growing up, that were later thrown into a pot with rice and black bird breasts...jambalaya that was mmmm good.

Salmon, cooked SV then basted with a honey-bourbon-herb glaze and torch seared. Served with buttered peas and salad.

Name:	salmon-bs2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	238452

Comment

Smoked fajita burgers on the Rec-Tec top with Mexican cheese, sauteed' onions, red/yellow/green peppers and Sriracha mayo served inside an onion bun. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0004.2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	238550

Comment

Made char siu in the air fryer again, this time with cubes of pork shoulder (they were trimmings from a much larger shoulder I will be smoking next week). Came out very nice. Made it into a stir fry with snow peas, mushrooms, carrots, onion and bean sprouts. Sorry about the messy plate. I was half-way through the first helping before remembering to snap a pic.

Name:	char-siu-shoulder.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	238602

Name:	char-siu-shoulder-p.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	238603

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you agree char siu and stirfry are better non-smoked?

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm not sure what you mean. When I make char siu ribs I smoke them and they are fine, but you really can't taste much smoke because the rest of the flavors overwhelms the smoke.

Todays cook on the offset smoker 2 small brisket roast and about 4.7# chuckie. The meat went on at 7 am. outside temp was 30 degrees smoker ranged from 225 to 245. I used BBBR on the chuckie and 1 of the briskets, and a Memphis rub on the other brisket.The chuck roast was at 175 at around 11am at that point I wrapped in foil. The brisket reached 165 at 11:30 am. wrapped and continue to cook until they reached 205. The chuck reach 210 at 1:30 pm pulled and put in the cooler , The brisket were at 205 at 2:00 pm ,they were pulled in put in the cooler. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG00479.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	239367Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG00480.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	239366

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Yummy

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a beautiful spread.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks incredible! Great pics, thanks fer sharin"!!!!

Smoked chuck arape with pickled shallots.
        Attached Files

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Great smoke ring! I just googled arepas and I want to make hem now.

We have a fantastic food truck in Denver that introduced me to arapes. Crispy on the outside, creamy-polentaI on the inside. They make a great home for all kinds of meat.

Comment

I've been wanting to do something different recently and I came across the idea of lamb ham. I put two 5 1/2 lb boneless lamb legs into a brine inspired by this recipe this afternoon: http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/...dition-revived

I used MH's curing salt ratios as per his pastrami recipe because the above recipe was very vague with respect to amounts (1 leg of lamb vs stating X lbs of lamb).

This is for my parent's annual meat party next Saturday, I've got a giant pastrami in the freezer that I'm going to smoke as well.

No pics because they are just raw legs in bags of brine. I'll advise as to how they turn out next week.
          Last edited by bbqoaf; November 13, 2016, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Real interesting. Look forward to the result!

Changed my mind, this was Sun cook. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0313.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	239406Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0314.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	239407Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0315.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	239408Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0316.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	239409

Comment

Last night's dinner: Shrimp, sauteed with peas, carrots, onion and lightly seasoned with cumin, garlic, salt, pepper and cream sherry,

Name:	shrimp-peas.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	239944

Comment

Salmon cooked SV then glazed with a maple syrup and bourbon glaze and torch-seared. Served with green beans in butter and salad. This was my first attempt with a maple/bourbon glaze and I quite liked it. Normally I don't have maple syrup in the house (in fact, I can't ever recall buying the real thing) but I had bought some as part of my bacon cure (MH's maple recipe), which is curing now.

Name:	maple-salmon.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	240166

Comment

Road meal. Sous vide flanken beef ribs

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here