Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	232496Click image for larger version

Views:	128
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	232497Click image for larger version

Views:	157
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	232498Click image for larger version

Views:	135
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	232499Click image for larger version

Views:	166
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	232500 No time for long cooks means I've been all about the wings lately. Cherry wood smoked finished two ways:

Korean Gochujang BBQ Sauce:
    2 tblspns Gochujang
    3 tblspns sugar
    2 teaspoons white vinegar
    2 tblspns soy sauce
    2 teaspoons sesame oil

Teriyaki Style:
    2 tblspns soy sauce
    4 tblspns brown sugar
    1 tblspns minced ginger
    1 garlic clove Finley minced
    2 tblspns white vinegar
    dash or sriracha

I'm in a Korean phase right now, I have a great market close by and it's awesome. Tomorrow night I'm making some japchae for SNF. I'll post that too.

Comment

Brisket point that was smoked last weekend. This is the portion of the point that is under the flat and very fatty. I fried it while it was still cold and then threw it into a pot with potatoes, carrots, water, and a little more seasoning. Used my fat separator on the final product.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20161023_130102.jpg Views:	1 Size:	436.5 KB ID:	232540

Comment

Jerod Broussard Nice pic, sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

A couple of recent cooks:

Tri-tip steak, cooked SV, then torch seared. This was my first time trying magic browning powder and I liked the result. Served with green beans in butter and salad.

Name:	tt-steak-gb.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	232547

Salmon, cooked SV then glazed with a honey-bourbon mix and torch seared. Served with steamed bok choy and salad.

Name:	honey-bourbon-salmon.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	232546

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            How long you sous vide the salmon?

• mgaretz
            mgaretz commented
            Editing a comment
            About an hour because it was frozen. SV to 130F.

• Tim E
            Tim E commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you use the Searzall mgaretz?

Rolled pork loin with boliche style filling, home grown sweet potato with herb butter and brussels sprouts.

Name:	Loin Roll.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	232556

Comment

• johnec00
            johnec00 commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc - The filling is 2 parts ham, 2 parts onion, 1 part dried chorizo sausage and a clove of garlic all chopped together then add a handful of cut-up green olives. Before rolling up, I dust with some gelatin to help hold it together for slicing. Be careful with the olives, they can overwhelm. I usually add some grated provolone, but forgot in the one shown here.
            Last edited by johnec00; October 24, 2016, 03:25 PM.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, johnec00 , for the additional information. That filling sounds delicious!

Kathryn

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Really nice roll job on that pork loin!

Did some experimenting today. Smoked 4 small salmon filets using Huskee 's method ( https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-smoked-salmon ). Also did one with no brown sugar, and one with raw unfiltered honey put on about 1/2 hr before completion.

Used a double 2X2 snake (thank you for THAT idea, ecowper ) in the WSM, with alder pellets.

We like Huskee's recipe best. Surprisingly, we liked the one with honey the least. Even the plain beat put the honeyed one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	1 Size:	389.0 KB ID:	232693
          The snake

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	1 Size:	426.4 KB ID:	232694

The four on the left are a la Huskee's recipe. The plate on the right, the left one is just plain (rinse after brine and onto the smoker), and on the right is the one with honey.

While we have our order of preference, they are ALL great! Can't wait to taste them in the morning!

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks good! What did you think of how that snake burns in the WSM?

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Woo hoo!

• richinlbrg
            richinlbrg commented
            Editing a comment
            @ Ecowper , it worked like a charm! One lower vent open and the exhaust 1/2 open gave me a perfect target temp and clean smoke. Up I had a GREAT technique!

A little Sunday night Japchae as per this recipe: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/japchae

Views:	105
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	232718

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the quick answer, bbqoaf . I'm going to the Korean grocery tomorrow and will hopefully find those noodles.

• bbqoaf
            bbqoaf commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc , I forgot to mention that I found the Japchae as per Maangchi's recipe a bit oily for my taste. You will notice the recipe calls for sesame oil in a few places and while the dish was delicious, it was really heavy. Next time I would probably reduce the sesame oil by about half.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, bbqoaf . Turns out I couldn't locate the noodles, so will try another Asian market the next time I drive to our closest "big city". I've printed out your recommendations for this dish and will keep it in my Maangchi cookbook.

Kathryn

Tri-tip, cooked SV at 127F for 8 hours, dusted with magic browning powder then torch seared. This was an experimental version of MBP: 4 parts dextrose (corn sugar) to 1 part sodium bicarbonate (baking soda). I did this in an effort to reduce the amount of bicarbonate and I think it worked just as well. Served with from-scratch fries made in the air fryer and salad.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tt-browning.jpg Views:	1 Size:	39.7 KB ID:	232763

Click image for larger version  Name:	tt-browning-p.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.5 KB ID:	232764

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Gorgeous!

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            You are the tri-tip king, mgaretz !

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful!

My first Tri-tip. Just followed Meathead direction in the book exactly. Served on french bread with home made chips. Very pleased with the results. Click image for larger version

Name:	tritip.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	232812Click image for larger version

Name:	tritip cit.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	232814
          Attached Files

Comment

• slvance
            slvance commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Jerod - made it on a gasser with a sear station.

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            slvance what did you think of the tri tip? you like it?

• slvance
            slvance commented
            Editing a comment
            smokinfatties it was exceptional... and I consider myself hard to please... and it was so damn easy....

What a beauty of a cook, slvance . That tri-tip looks delicious. You could have fooled me that this was your first try at it.

mgaretz , how do you like your air fryer? Are the fries as tasty as double-frying them in oil?

Kathryn

Comment

• mgaretz
            mgaretz commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the air fryer. I like the fries just as much as oil fried, but they are a bit different tasting because they don't have as much oil on the surface.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Good to know, mgaretz . Thanks

fuzzydaddy, & Pit Club etal, Sunday's Bill of Fare in the Johnston House! I decided to make another go at Bacon Wrapped Pork Loin! Dry Brined -3 #’s Boneless Pork Loin with Kosher Salt, Garlic Powder and Jack Daniels Old No 7 Pork Rub and +24 Hrs in Refridgerator! Then Laced with Bacon and another Dusting of JD # 7 Pork Rub! Back in the Ref. until time to put on the Weber! Prepared the Weber, S 'n S, DidgiQ-2, and Maverick et 733! Lit one small Weber Starter with Coals poured the Lit Coals over +- 1/2 Starter Unlit Coals and Hickory an Apple Wood Chunks! This was the First Cook for the New Drip-n-Grill Pan by AdrenalineBBQCo, so I protected It with a round Cake Pan with Water! Cooked at 325* F for 2 3/4 Hrs? Just Prior to going on the Pork was Slathered with 50-50 Mix of Wish Bone Sweet & Spicey Honey Mustard Salad Dressing and Blue House Choice Hickory BBQ Sauce! This was the First Time that I had Problems with both the et 733 Maverick and the Thermopen Classic! One probe on the Maverick decided Not to Transmit? The Themopen was reading Low? Same Battery since I bought it in 2015 don't know if this would cause a Low Temp Reading! No real harm except The Loin was slightly Overdone!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.53 MB ID:	232977 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28790.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.99 MB ID:	232978Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28794.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.92 MB ID:	232982Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28792.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.69 MB ID:	232980Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28795.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.43 MB ID:	232983Click image for larger version  Name:	image_28796.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.24 MB ID:	232985Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	232989Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.57 MB ID:	232990Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	232992
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Danjohnston949; October 24, 2016, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
            Danjohnston949 commented
            Editing a comment
            RonB, I believe it's as close to a Perfect Fit as you can get! I am Pleased! fuzzydaddy, All the thanks are to You! It was a Post You Shared that Got me interestedly in trying it the first time! One more will be "3"!
            From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice Dan!!

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Lookin' good! A low battery won't make your reading low, it might make your screen look dim or not light up at all.

This is why I love BBQ and Amazing Ribs. Information sharing is fantastic. I made this recipe for stuffed pork tenderloins four times, previously. Each time the result was perfection. Yesterday, I replicated the recipe, with one exception. The pork was frozen first, thawed and then stuffed. The result was a fantastic photo and a great first taste. However, the texture was horrible. So I learned something about the freezing /thawing/stuffing of tenderloin. I have great results with other cuts frozen and brought back to life. Will not do this with pork tenderloin again. Stuffing was sausage, goat cheese, garlic, sage, thyme, salt, pepper, onion and apples. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2543.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	233124Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2544.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	233125Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2545.JPG Views:	1 Size:	820.9 KB ID:	233126

Comment

Just dinner... A Weber kettle, SnS and a Maverick 735. A bernaise sauces. Homemade Ciabatta bread. Mmmm...😘
            Attached Files

Comment

Yesterdays Prep for The Bill of Fare @ The Johnston House Sunday 30 October 2016! "St Louis Ribs" Pealed, Dry Brined with Kosher Salt, Tones
              Rest. Grind Black Pepper, Jack Daniels "Old No. 7 Pork Rub" and Spritzed Lightly with a concoction of Apple, Orange, Lime Juice reinforced with Garlic
              Juice, Worsteshire Sauce, Tarragon & Cider Vinager! 3 Racks Total, Individually repacked in the bags they came in and into the Garage Refer in a Large Cake Pan covered with Alum. Foil! Should have kept the Rats and the S--T Bird Mutts out of them Until Today! More Later if I can Light a Fire?

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29048.jpg Views:	1 Size:	78.7 KB ID:	234751

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29049.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.56 MB ID:	234752

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29050.jpg Views:	1 Size:	3.12 MB ID:	234753

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_29051.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.06 MB ID:	234754 ​

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_14204.jpeg Views:	17 Size:	213.4 KB ID:	234759

Well, I Finally Got the Ribs on the OKJ Highland at 12:30 PM! Not Bad for getting up at 5:30 AM! I think it's a Terminal Case of Dead A--! Got the Smoker and DidgiQ-2 Going, Powdered the Ribs with Garle Powder and Slathered them with a 50/50 Mix of Wish Bone Sweet and Spicy Honey Mustard Salad Dressing and Koops Spicy Brown Deli Mustard! Stood the Slabs on Edge whole between 2 Inverted Roast Racks! Now it time or Marinate the Chef!
              More Later, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	234942Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.44 MB ID:	234943Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.91 MB ID:	234946Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	234945i

Well, The Ribs Finally got to the Point of Final Saucing with a Mixture of WB Honey Mustard Salad Dressing, Koops Spicy
              Brown Deli Mustard and Prime Cut Meats Bar-B-Q-Sauce (Local Meat Mkt, Ribs from there! [email protected] )
              Mixture Slathered on the Rib Both Sides and Flat on the Grill to finish! Turned And Sauced Twice! Then in for Dinner with
              Eunice's Scallope Potatoes, Corn, Garlic Bread and a Nice Bottle of French Cabernet Savion Gran Noir Red Wine by Shawn!
              Eunice's Home Grown Apple Crisp Topped It Off! A fine Meal for One and All except the 3 S--t Bird Mutts who were Highly Indignant!

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.16 MB ID:	235253Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	235249Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.91 MB ID:	235251Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.27 MB ID:	235254Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	2.86 MB ID:	235248Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	235250
              Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	3.26 MB ID:	235247
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Danjohnston949; October 31, 2016, 07:04 AM.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                I see your cheering section was fully on board, Danjohnston949 !

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome Pooches Dan!!!! Dogs really are man's best friend. Good looking cook too!

My first go at Cornell Chicken. Served with Waldorf Salad. Forgot the pic of the Waldorf Salad. This is super chicken! Nice and moist, and very flavorful.
              Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Damn, I'm getting hungry!

• fuzzydaddy
                fuzzydaddy commented
                Editing a comment
                Gorgeous chicken!

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks fuzzydaddy!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here