Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, the pork chops from the PotKettleBlack's favorite pork chops sale thread, took a two hour bath in Blonder Brine (mixing with an immersion blender works really well with coarse kosher salt in a plastic cambro). After rinsing, they get MMD, then a tube of Mixon Competition blend pellets at 225 (with a water pan on the hot side to keep it cooler). Once they hit an IT of 130 they get a dose of glaze, today made with equal parts maple, apple cider vin, and fish sauce with a couple dashes of Tabasco. Flavor was incredible, didn't quite glaze properly. Any rate, glaze at 130, flip and glaze at 135, take to sear side and take to 140.

These were accompanied by homemade bread and green beans with onions and homemade pancetta. Wife picked her bone clean (never happens, but has been happening more since I've been here).

money shot:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	218026

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a beautiful plate of food. That pork chop looks perfectly done and your bread looks perfect. Nice crumb.👍

That looks GREAT, Potkettleblack !!!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      It was better than that... the only thing I have to work on is getting the glaze thicker... maybe using molasses instead of maple, or maybe reducing it. With the fish sauce, it delivers better flavor but doesn't really glaze.

Did someone say smoked puiied beef sub? Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003 (1).JPG
Views:	195
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	218031

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't, but I wish I had.

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      +1
      That looks great!

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice looking sub...👍

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	218067 A little Pork love from Minnesota. Happy Labor Day everyone. #PBC
    Last edited by Spinaker; September 5, 2016, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like the Spinaker s ate well last night, too!

Meat balls, held together by ground pork rinds and freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Comment

First weekend with my new GMG Jim Bowie, so the Big Poppa drum had a long weekend off.

I burned it in starting at 0830 on Saturday. Then moved in to smoking down lemons, limes, garlic and onions all into powder. Then smoked some salmon. (Shmancy salmon of course, with real maple and brown sugar). Then I made chicken breasts for empanadas (used the butcher block seasoning).

And then I did bone in rib eye, two with coffee rub and one with butcher block. Reverse sear, 225 to 110 internal and then seared at 500 (maverick got to 550 at one point, and that wasn't on the flare up I managed to get!)

best I've managed yet. Nicely browned and evenly cooked and melt in the mouth tender!

The two piece drip tray with direct holes does apparently work to a point, although not the warp ten I get on my drum with the basket raised. Fish and chicken were on bbq delight Apple. Steak on bbq delight cherry. Some empanadas also were baked in the smoker and turned out very well
      Last edited by bcmcmoose; September 6, 2016, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Here are the photos I had trouble attaching
        Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice cook... I'd eat at your table anytime.👍

Made pulled beef nachos from the leftovers Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001 (5).JPG
Views:	215
Size:	344.9 KB
ID:	218439 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002 (6).JPG
Views:	218
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	218438

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Here we go!

Those look awesome. But I'm surprised there were leftovers after the way that sub looked!

Comment

My son held his NFL Fantasy Draft party at his house this last weekend. He decided that I should be the Chef for his all guys party that required his wife and kids to do an all night sleep over with one of the other guys wife and kids.

He gave me a few days warning so I had plenty of time to plan. I decided that I would make pork butts, red beans and rice, potato salad, Cole slaw and some sourdough bread. I always include some bread.😎

All of these guys are in the late 30's, have kids and don't get many nights of alone time away from the wife and kids. So I wanted to provide them with good food... Knowing there would be way more good wine and alcohol than there should be.

After I served the food I split and let them do what young guys do when their wife and kids are away... The party ended at 4:30am I hear. .

A few pictures of the cook, I was to busy to take many pictures. There were actually 2 butts but I pulled one before I remember to take a picture. The red beans and rice were a big hit, as was the pulled pork.👍
          Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Ernest ... Coming from you that's a great compliment.👌 When you're 65 you will have lots of time to be creative.

I'd love to be your sous Chef when you retire, if I get to taste your food.👍

• BDC
            BDC commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks awesome! Your a good Dad!

• GadjetGriller
            GadjetGriller commented
            Editing a comment
            Ok I have to admit love the round motif you have going there very Kool!! (food looks wonderful as well )

Beef brisket on the WSM done hot and fast at 300 degrees. Rub was 1 part salt, 3 parts pepper with a little garlic powder and onion powder. Sand in the water pan, cooked for 4.5 hours then wrapped in pink butcher paper and cooked another 2 hours. Pulled at internal temp of 205. Rested on counter for about 2 hours then sliced.

Reverse seared ribeyes on the weber 22" banked the coals used KBB for fuel.

Pork ribs smoked on the WSM at 225-235 for about 5 hours (no crutch). Used Meathead's Memphis Dust with water in the water pan.

-Fritz

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice... Very nice.👌

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful!

• BDC
            BDC commented
            Editing a comment
            Hell yea brother! Im coming to your house next holiday!

Great looking eats. (we need a drool smiley).

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            I need to get a waterproof keyboard or a drool cup!

Name:	short ribs thumbnail.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	218802 Click image for larger version

Name:	short rib raw.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	218771 Click image for larger version

Name:	short ribs front.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	218772 Click image for larger version

Name:	short ribs left side.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	218773 Well lucked out and happen to be at the one Lubbock Market Street that actually has a Butcher!?!? ask him about short ribs he took me to a package of 5 or 6 small (about the size of my pointer finger) square cut pieces of meat??? I said dont you have any still on the bone? He looked at me like Why??? but he said I do I was actually about to cut it down want to see it?? Yes please!! It was 4 or 5 bones worth!! I said (sheepishly) can I have this whole thing?? He looked at me funny again and said sure I guess? Left, packaged it up, and brought it back!!! Score!! The 2 pictures are at about 10 degrees to go till prob checking time!! coming along nicely me thinks!!
          Well no smoke ring to speak of but pretty dang tasty!! Your were right DWCowles one rib was enough for me!!
          Last edited by GadjetGriller; September 7, 2016, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            KIller cook man!! LOOKS LIKE YOU GOT THE KEG THING DOWN!!

• GadjetGriller
            GadjetGriller commented
            Editing a comment
            Guest its the IQ110 (temp control) ,Competition briquettes and the minion method once I found about those my Kamado Rocks!!!! (now I just need to find a better source of Wood chunks)

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I was just looking at this again.......you did a great job taking those pictures. That is not easy to make it look that good. (The food helps)

I rarely make time to post pictures of my cooks, because I’m usually too busy entertaining or enjoying them...so I wanted to share some pics and notes on my Labor Day BBQ this past weekend.

Protein:
          • 15 lbs. St Louis Style Ribs
          • 20 lbs. Boston Butt/Shoulder
          Recipes:BBQ Tools:
          • Smokin' Tex 1400 Electric Smoker
          • Maverick Et-732 Remote
          • Lavatools PX1 Javelin Pro
          • Original Bear Paws Shredders
          • Grill Beast SS Meat Injector
          My Method:
          1. 48 hours prior to smoking…I dry-brined all the pork, made the rub & the BBQ sauces
          2. Rinse the meat thoroughly with cold water and dry with paper towels
          3. Remove the silver skin on the ribs!
          4. Sprinkle the kosher salt all over pork on both sides and rub in (1/2 tsp of kosher salt per/lb.); place pork on a rack sitting over a large baking sheet and store without covering in the refrigerator for 12-48 hours
          5. 12-24 hours prior to cooking/smoking…pull the pork out of the fridge; dampen your counter with a wet rag and lay down two long sheets of plastic wrap/cellophane overlapping them side-by-side to create a wide, long wrap area, place the pork in the middle and put on your latex gloves (you’ll thank me later); coat all sides of the pork with a thin layer of yellow mustard with one hand…using the other hand, shake your pork rub all over the pork liberally and rub it in well…toss the gloves
          6. Next…place the pork on a rack(s), uncovered again or if necessary (and it was for me), wrap the pork tightly in the plastic wrap – then place in the refrigerator where they will not come in contact/contaminate anything until the next day
          7. 1 hour before you’re ready to cook/smoke…pull the pork from the fridge…place or leave it in a large bowl (still wrapped is fine)…and inject the pork butts with the cider from all sides until it’s gone
          8. I added about 1/3 cup of Oak, 1/3 Cup of Pecan, & 1/3 Cup of Apple wood chips to the smokebox (maybe a little less)
          9. Next…I placed both Pork Butts on the top rack and smoked them normally at 225° F for approx. 12-15 hours. If you start getting hungry at the finish line…you can increase the temperature to 250° F to speed things up…which is what I did since this time out…my butts went into a stall and this became a 19 hour cook! Here is my theory from what I have heard over the years…if you smoke with the fat cap up, it cools the meat and causes a stall…however, fat cap up does a better job of basting the meat and maybe worth the longer cooking time. I tested that theory this time out…and yes…I smoked with the cap up…and yes…it caused my first stall in a long time! I will say the meat was slightly juicier, but I don’t think anyone knew the difference to honest; so fat cap down from now on!
          10. When the meat thermometer registers 200° F…I remove the butts to a tray lined with heavy aluminum foil
          11. I usually pull the butts apart right away, but if I am waiting on company to arrive…I’ll wrap the pork tightly in foil and let it rest in a cooler with towels until I’m ready.
          12. So…to smoke Butts & Ribs in the same smoker and to try and serve them at the same time…this is what I did:
            1. approximately 6 Hours before I pull the Butts out…I use my rib hooks and hung 10-12 half racks of ribs from the top rack; I then used the "Rib 3-2-1" method (3 hours of smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil, then 1 last hour in smoke to tighten them up)
            2. Then the very last step I like to take is to throw the ribs on my hot weber grill and slather them with my Sweet Baby Rays hack – I seer the ribs for a just a minute or two on each side then serve.

Name:	St. Louis Style Ribs.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	218918 Click image for larger version

Name:	Two Boston Butts.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	218919 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dry Brining.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	218920 Click image for larger version

Name:	The Mess.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	218921 Click image for larger version

Name:	Two Finished Butts.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	218922

Name:	Last Step.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	218923

Name:	Cut Ribs.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	218924

Name:	Close Up.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	218925
          Last edited by BDC; September 8, 2016, 01:44 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            WOW!!! Quite the spread. That just looks amazing. It looks like your feeding an army!!

Name:	20160910_082542.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	219731 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_153405.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	219732 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_194532.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	219733 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_212128.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	219734 12lb choice brisket. Dry brined 48 hours, injeceted with butcher's brisket injection, and bbbr.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here