Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got a whole pork belly last week, so made a couple styles of bacon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bacon 1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	213480

I tweaked a couple of Ruhlman's recipes to my taste, the left being the pancetta inspired savory pepper bacon from the Charcuterie book (or maybe Twenty). The right is the Maple Cure bacon (from the other of Char or Twenty), with pepper added. Into the bag, into the minifridge for 9 days (he does 7, but timing didn't work for me, so it sat in the cure for longer), flipping every day or every other day.

Name:	Bacon 2.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	213479

Rinsed of cures, into the fridge for 12 hours to air dry. Set up the Genesis with a water pan above the left burner and a water pan below the right grill grate. Filled with the sous vide water from the short ribs above, which was a nice stable 131 before being heated on the grill. Genesis held a stable 220 by the dome thermometer better than it ever has... Damn that setup is smooth. I might have to tweak one of my pans, as it lifts the grate up. Smoke from the A-Maze-N tube, with Mixon Competition pellets, to an IT of 150.

Name:	Bacon 3.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	213478

Smokin' after work... Wife and I sampled thin bits from the ends. She has a preference for the maple one. I see the charm in both. Pancetta is most likely destined to be used as lardons for pastas and quiches. Maple is likely to be sliced to 1/8th inch or so for pan fry or baking.

Ain't no party like a bacon party.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice project... I can almost taste it just looking at it.👍

Name:	Lewis and Sons BBQ Logo.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	213488 Just cooked up the logo for our competition team with LakeviewBBQ and our Dad for BBQ on the Bow in Calgary, Alberta www.bbqonthebow.com.

The logo is inspired by this ridiculous ghost story my Dad used to tell us when we were kids about a logger whose legs were crushed by a tree one day, so he killed a goat and sewed the goat legs onto himself. Obviously the legs worked perfectly and the goat blood mixed with the human blood which turned him into the psychotic and murderous Goat Man. The Goat Man then roamed the mountains of Western Canada killing innocent children on camping trips with his ax. Of course, he was always last seen right wherever we happened to be....

Comment

• jabostick
      jabostick commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice work! One week out to the Bow. I'm getting excited.

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      jabostick are you going to be there? Come say hi, we will be the three 6'5" guys hacking it up with two kettles.

• jabostick
      jabostick commented
      Editing a comment
      You'll be tough to miss! Yep, we'll be there as well. #AllMeatsMatter is our team name.

Last nights dinner Greek sausage, hoppyluv sausage and bratwurst. Salad and edamame fettuccini
    So my wife says the sausage is still pink are you sure it's done? I said its pink on the outside, that's a smoke ring. If it were pink in the middle it would be a really good smoke ring.

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	213519

Views:	191
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	213520

Comment

• Juddlight
      Juddlight commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol....Are you sure its done is a common question from the wives i bet

Hot smoked salmon. Made in the Rec Tec at 180F for about 90 minutes using a maple/hickory/cherry blend pellet. I also used the 6" Amaze-n-tube, filled halfway with the same pellets. Much better and deeper smoke flavor than just with the Rec Tec alone.

The salmon was dry-brined with just salt. I intended to baste with honey at about an hour into the cook, but I forgot! The salmon was fine without it. Served with steamed Brussels Sprouts and salad.

Name:	smoked-salmon-bs.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	213762

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice cook!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Yum, I love both of those things.

Friday Night SnS. Ribeye, Yukon Gold, Gorgonzola Sauce, Sautéed Baby Bellas, Salad w/homemade Italian Dressing, Tomatoes freshly picked from our garden. Taken with iPhone 6 and a $7.00 dented trouble light with wax paper as a diffuser. Life is good!!

Name:	IMG_2915.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	213877

Name:	IMG_2917.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	213876 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2918.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	213878

Comment

• Harry
      Harry commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice presentation. iPhone shot? Even better. Nice photo.

I'm overdue for a BBQ session, Labor Day weekend coming up. But for now, while I'm on the road, this beef cheeks and mushrooms will do.....

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      You are living the low carb life to the fullest.

Third time is the charm! Best batch of canadian bacon yet! Weber kettle with SnS, Cowboy lump with a chunk of apple for smoke. This is MH recipe, except that I used brown sugar in the cure.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Thunder77; August 27, 2016, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks awesome, I love that recipe.

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Me too.

All ready for spareribs, let's go

Views:	205
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	213993

Comment

Pork butt and brisket. I'm also trying burnt ends for the first time. I'll post a finished picture but I'm hoping that talking about it now will keep me from gorging on brisket at 7:30am. Click image for larger version

Views:	185
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	214032 Click image for larger version

Views:	176
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	214033 Click image for larger version

Views:	200
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	214034

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Burn't ends... The caviar of BBQ.👍

My first attempt at bacon. I used Meathead's maple bacon recipe and cured for 10 days. Smoked over apple and cherry a couple of days ago. Sliced and fried it up this morning.

Name:	20160823_184810.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	214045 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160827_094613.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	214046 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160827_101035.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	214047

Why haven't I been making my own the whole time?!
      Last edited by Steve R.; August 27, 2016, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks good!

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. And the best part... I had already prepared myself for the reality that it won't be crispy like the store bought kind. But I discovered that if you get it hot enough to form the dark edges, it's plenty crispy. Just not the crumbling apart crispy that I'm used to.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Once I had the edges black, it was plenty crispy for my taste

Pork tenderloin Click image for larger version

Views:	187
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	214067

Comment

Made breakfast this morning. Fresh eggs from our chickens, blackberries are off the vines out back, and I just smoked the bacon yesterday. Only the bread is from the store.

Views:	186
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	214077 Click image for larger version

Views:	196
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	214078 Click image for larger version

Views:	164
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	214079

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess it might be big enough :-)

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! I frequently had homemade bacon as a kid, since both sets of grandparents were farmers, but I'm just getting started doing it myself.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          It was good Steve R. .... loved that bacon. Reminds me of when I was a kid. I grew up on a farm and we ate fresh eggs daily, plus we always had our own steers and hogs butchered locally.

Tri-tip, cooked SV at 127F for 8 hours then seared with a torch. Rubbed with a blend of salt, turbinado sugar and dill seeds. Served with mashed cauliflower with chives, homemade wheat bread and salad.

Name:	tt826.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	214139

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          When I first saw the pic, I was expecting to hear that it was pastrami .... that color is crazy

• mgaretz
          mgaretz commented
          Editing a comment
          The power of SV baby! And not over searing because of the torch.

But tri-tip pastrami sounds interesting...

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm tempted to do tri-tip pastrami now

Flank steak for lunch today.

Name:	IMG_7068.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	214165

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          "Fanned Flank Stead" Nice!

Halibut SV @129 then torch seared. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160827_182633.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	214307

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here