Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love smoking pork butts. Its just so easy on a Weber with a SlowNSear. Earlier in the week I went out to check the freezer and decided to pull out one of the three butts that were in there. Into the fridge it went to defrost.

On Saturday it was fully defrosted so I opened the cryovac and sliced that sucker in half-more exposed sides = more bark, people! Bark=yummy goodness that is proven to help you live longer. Well in a round about way at least. I don't think there have been any studies on the effects of eating bark from smoked meats to longevity BUT (hold your horses) there are studies showing that happy people are healthier and live longer and...bark makes me happy. Logic, love it.

So having halved (see what I did there) the butt next I put it in full strength game changer brine and vacuum sealed it. Into the refrigerator for 24 hours. Sunday morning I started the Weber for low and slow cooking. 12 briquettes of Kingsford Original were started. When they were ashed over and glowing I added a quart of water to the SNS and filled it with a chimney of KBB. I topped that all with a very generous helping of cherry wood and apple wood. Closed the lid, set the air vents and let her come to temp. While it was coming to temp, the butts were opened, rinsed and rubbed with MMD, Meathead's Memphis Dust. I love this stuff.

When the Weber hit 180F the butts went on with a Maverick probe stuck right in the center of that juicy butt. Its about 8:45am and it is time to wait, or do chores, or go work in the developing gunsmith shop, or take a nap, or start cleaning the house while watching Team USA in Rio because your wife has been gone for 5 weeks and is coming home on Monday-whatever floats your boat.

About 3pm the butt hit an internal temperature of 158F. 90 minutes later it is still at 158F. What a lazy butt! So instead of wrapping it, I tented it. Don't ask me why, I have not a clue. I put the butts in a high-sided foil pan, covered it with several layers of butcher paper over it and tucked into the pan and then perched another foil pan on top. Not exactly a Texas Crutch and again, I have no idea what I was thinking. Usually I don't crutch my butts unless time is an issue but there you have it.

It would be needless to explain the results of that 'experiment' to any seasoned pit master, but for those developing pit masters like myself, when you wrap so loosely it does not help much, particularly when you are cooking at such a low temperature. At 8 pm I pulled the butts off the Weber. They were at 190F and not quite done but they were not being served until the next day. So I wrapped those suckers up tight in foil and butcher paper and let it sit for a couple of hours on the counter. Then, still wrapped, they went into the refrigerator.

Monday morning they went into the crock pot (set on warm not low!) still whole. About 4pm I pulled them and they were ready for some Rufus Teague. Usually I make my own Eastern NC Sauce but I wanted to try something I had not tried before. That Rufus Teague is the Motz!

Below: After coming off the grill.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1882.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	209728

Below: That yummy bark.

Name:	IMG_1880.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	209729
    Below: Ready for sauce and a fork or roll

Name:	IMG_1883.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	209730

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice bark. We often all get a piece of the bark when mine come out of the cambro, then I shred. Makes the family happy to do that. I just have to limit how much they grab.

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      I like that fuzzydaddy I am a selfish SOB however and any "extra bark" is pitmaster's privilege #gottakeepemwaitingandhungry

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      "Having halved" good stuff man good stuff. You get that AR lookin' gun together yet??

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	209777 Making a couple styles of bacon, from various Ruhlman books. A pancetta style herby product and a maple cured bacon. Into the Mini fridge with a daily flip and I'll see you guys on Sunday.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Nice mini-fridge project. My last project was seeing how many metric tons of sausage I could fit in my mini on standby for smoking.

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      The SteakAger is also going to get started on a strip loin later today. Keep that thing busy.

martybartram Those PBs look delicious! Did your SnS/Kettle stick at 225 for the whole 12 hours of the cook?

Kathryn

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      I was actually under 225 the entire time, hovering around 217 for about 10 hours, I opened it up to 230 the last two hours. I had it

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the additional info, Marty. martybartram

I thought about putting this on the Huskee's Smoked Salmon Thread but did not want to sour the knowledge and goodness of it. I will refer to it again below.
    Smoke Salmon Part I
    Now usually I avoid buying farm raised salmon like its the Zika Virus (I grew up on Pacific wild salmon) but for some reason I rashly plopped it in the grocery cart (second mistake). Yesterday, before pulling the pork butt, I slapped the salmon filet in game changer brine. While the brine did its thing, I went out and set up the Weber/SNS for low and slow. An hour later I rinsed the filet and at this point made my third mistake, I did not take off the skin. I coated the salmon with a Asian ginger sauce and honey. I put a touch of Johnny's Seasoning and ground Aleppo pepper and forgot the pacific salmon rub, fourth mistake. I put the fish on the grill but not before putting down a frog mat. I set the Weber for 180F and it held that temp rock steady for 2.5 hours. Not a single temperature fluctuation, not 179 not 181, 180 rock steady. The next half hour it dropped to 178. At this point, the fish having been on the grill for 3 hours I figured it was time to check the internal temperature. It was at 139F. I gave it 7 more minutes and it was at 140F. Into the house it went. My intent was to refrigerate the salmon over night and try it the next evening per these instructions by Huskee . I taste tested of course...super crazy moist, good texture, bland as plain grits, and definitely nothing like smoked salmon should be. I will likely season it up this evening and throw it back on the smoke for a couple more hours.

Name:	salmon1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	209782

Name:	salmon2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	209781

If you were keeping track of the mistakes you should have noticed mistake number 1 was missing. Here it is: Failing to follow a tried and true recipe like Huskee's EXACTLY prior to modifying it. I have grilled an Alaskan fishing boat full of salmon in my life, I have never smoked it. I should have known better but all is not lost and there is a chance for redemption! Another thing I should have considered is how freaking well game changer brine works. That stuff simply packs moisture into everything you put in it.

So stay tuned, tonight or tomorrow I will post Part II as I attempt to salvage this filet.

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Just to be clear, I did not want to sour the Huskee's Smoked Salmon thread not this post!

• bbqoaf
      bbqoaf commented
      Editing a comment
      I am glad there is another "wild only" salmon snob on here besides me!
      Wild pacific sockeye is still in stores here and I have been loving it of late, once you are spoiled by wild, the farmed garbage tastes like, well, garbage.

• Jerod Broussard
      Editing a comment
      Hey bbqoaf I resemble that remark. I totally dig the store bought "raised in Chile but called atlantic as if it was caught from a boat in deep water" salmon I get at the store (when on sale). My first taste of salmon was grilled at a Ryan's Steakhouse whose business was 99% Mega-bar buffet.

Dunch...😜 Dunch is when old guys eat during the mid afternoon. To late for lunch and to early for dinner., with no intent of eating again before bed time.😆

Today i had marinated bone-in chicken thighs that I cooked on my 26" Weber kettle with the help of the Slow N Sear. I marinated the thighs overnight and while they were baking I basted them a few times to add layers of flavor. I cooked between 350° and 375° to get the color I wanted and to crisp the skin.

My sides were Rice cooked in home made chicken stock and sourdough bread I baked yesterday on my BGE.👍

This is without a doubt my ALL-TIME favorite chicken dish I've ever tried, bar none. I discovered it on AllRecipes.com and it was written by my favorite Chef on that website, Chef John. He published it as a marinade for pork chops and that's the way I prepared the first time. However it was so good I decided to use that crazy good marinade on chicken thighs too.😋 I eat more chicken thighs than pork chops by far.

Chef John's recipe... http://allrecipes.com/recipe/221901/...an-pork-chops/
    Attached Files

Comment

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, REALLY good!

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Dunch? ... hah! My wife and I thought we had coined that word and its definition. Used to be known as the Blue Plate Special .

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      You know you're getting to another level of life when you know what Dunch is...😎

Last night I made chicken tenders in the air fryer. Tried two different breading styles. One was flour/egg/panko and the other was flour/egg/flour. Both came out good but I preferred the flour/egg/flour version. Served with white corn and salad. Panko version is on the left.

Name:	chtend.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	210019

Comment

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Golden deliciousness!

Yesterday, while mulling over how I was going to fix yesterday's mistakes I was reminded that sometimes we start with a goal in mind and the goal changes. In essence I had crappy lemons. I did not have to make them into good lemons I just needed to make lemonade instead. So I made smoked salmon dip.
    • 10 oz Smoked Salmon
    • 1 cup sour cream
    • 16 oz cream cheese
    • Lemon and lime juice to taste (just keep adding it until it tastes right but start with 2 tablespoons each.
    • 2 TBS tarragon
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp pepper
    • 1 TBS parsley

Throw that mess in the food processor because your wife does not prefer chunky salmon dip.

Grab a triscuit, fresh garden tomatoes, and a yellow avocado. Dinner is done! Easy and not bland like grits.

Name:	IMG_1890.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	210159

Name:	IMG_1891.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	210160

Name:	IMG_1889.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	210161

Comment

• l'inferno
      l'inferno commented
      Editing a comment
      "crappy lemons ≠ good lemons = lemonade instead = salmon dip
      I love this formula.
      My theory is that if "IT' can't eventually be transferred to a pizza topping, a frittata or a burrito why even make it in the first place?
      If you can't re purpose don't cook it.

Yesterday I made Last Meal Ribs. Dry-brined for 4 hours with MMDORWS (that's Meathead's Memphis Dust Original Recipe With Salt) then another quick shake with some more on top before going on the smoker. Also used this opportunity to try out the Amaze-N-Tube to see if it would add any additional smoke flavor. I originally got it to see if it would amp up the smoke flavor when I hot-smoked salmon, but I haven't made any since I got it, so I figured I would see what it did for ribs. I got the 6" version and as advertised, it added additional smoke for 2 hours. It did add a bit more smoke flavor. I'll keep playing with it.

Anyway, here are the pics:

Name:	lmr816-w.jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	210315

Name:	lmr816-c.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	210313

Name:	lmr816-p.jpg
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	210314

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice cook... You ribs look fantastic!👍

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking ribs.

Name:	1471475559655-1464163362.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	210474grilled some veggies for marinara sauce...so threw some dogs on 😋

Comment

It's been a while since I posted. Life is busy and work is always even busier but I had a great opportunity this past weekend to smoke many things from a Boston Butt, some chicken wings, some ribs, and finally some mac N cheese.

With the butt, Salted 12 hours prior to and then dusted with Memphis Dust. I put it on about 9pm and took it off about 11am the next day when the internal temp hit 203. I made up some Carolina Mustard Sauce and red sauce recipe a buddy found online, which i have to say is phenomenal. The recipe is at the end of the post. Smoked with Cherry and Whiskey barrel chips.

Name:	IMG_4194.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	210489

The Ribs I lightly salted 12 hours prior to, then dusted with Memphis dust and Slap Yo Mama Cajun Seasoning. Smoked in my Masterbuilt about 4 hours and then painted on the red sauce I mentioned above and finished on my Weber Kettle. The sauce was good on the ribs as well but I actually Prefer the Apple Butter Pig Paint instead. The slap yo mama was a great addition giving just a slight kick. Smoked with Applewood.

Name:	IMG_4201.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	210491
      The Mac N Cheese is my mom's recipe (God Rest Her Soul) so I can't give it out Just picture Southern Mac N Cheese smoked with Hickory Chips. Also you can see the southern slaw there. Used Duke's Mayo and the recipe found on their website. It was real good and their mayo is legendary!

Name:	IMG_4202.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	210490

The wings I did a dusting of Slap Yo Mama, and seasoning salt. Smoked with Cherry. They turned out pretty good, but were way spicy!

Name:	IMG_4200.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	210488

The Red Sauce I mentioned the recipe is below. Again, It was phenomenal on the Butt and really good on the ribs!

The Best Barbecue Sauce
      Ingredients:
      2 cups ketchup
      2 cups tomato sauce
      1 1/4 cups brown sugar
      1 1/4 cups red wine vinegar
      1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
      2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
      4 teaspoons hickory flavored liquid smoke
      1/2 teaspoon onion powder
      1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
      1/4 teaspoon chili powder 1 teaspoon paprika
      1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
      1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
      1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
      1 teaspoon salt
      1/2 to 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
      Directions 1. In a large saucepan, over medium heat, mix together all the wet ingredients and then add the seasonings. 2. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer for at least 20 minutes or up to an hour, stirring occasionally. The sauce will thicken slightly as it cools. 3. Once cooled, the sauce can be frozen. Thaw in the refrigerator and use as needed.

Found on www.melskitchencafe.com by a friend of mine

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Cherry is my fave. Awesome cooks!!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome back!

Sausage and cheese balls

Comment

Name:	20160819_100630.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	211034crushed croutons for breading, then hot n fast on the sns to 160

Comment

Name:	20160819_100653.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	211036then layered in cake pan with meatheads marinara, linguini noodles n parm cheese...yum

Comment

My attempt at chicken. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160722_211907.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	211067

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              All the skin shipped to me please.

Leftovers - a half dozen smoked chicken carcasses and the remains of a smoked capon make a wonderful smoked chicken noodle soup, and leftover point and pickled smoked jalapenos make for a memorable pizza!
            Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here