Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late due to technical issue with iCloud, but here are a few pics of the Q for my brother, LakeviewBBQ stag party night one. Two pics of the 14 lb packer, and one of the full spread with monster sized king crab legs, brisket and LMR's. We had some potato salad, Texas beans and slaw as well. Great Q and great party.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha, I just noticed the dog under the table. Just plotting to get on that table once you clowns are sitting down and enjoying yourselves. Hahaha. Great picture.

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking meal!

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Crab legs AND brisket! Good stuff!

Some leftover beef short ribs. These were vacuum sealed and refrigerated. Warmed in 131 degrees hot tub time machine. Tastes like fresh off the smoker

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice. So, off the grill, straight into vac bag, fridge, SV to retherm, slice and plate?

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Potkettleblack that is correct!

• (mr.brisket)
      (mr.brisket) commented
      Editing a comment
      That picture could be in a magazine ,nicely done

I got a Rivergrille for fathers day and have been having a great time with it, it comes with a rotisserie, a Dutch oven hook, a swing out secondary grill and the main grilling surface is 31 inches in diameter , I also bought a 26 inch firepit grill with 8inch risers at Lowes to increase my cooking capacity. The nice thing about this is when you are done cooking you can take off the racks throw some more wood on and relax by the firepit. The only thing negative is the free floating spit, but I made and easy mod by attaching a small chain and clip to set it at different points of rotation. So far I have done brisket, whole chickens, wings, ribs, pork tacos, steaks and burgers, I still want to get a suckling pig for the spit but will probably do that later in the summer. For 199.00 it is a great deal.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats a great set up. One stop shop.

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      very cool!

Taco Tuesday...

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      fuzzydaddy no, iceberg lettuce. It has crunch....sorta like hard Taco shells....

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reminding me the wifey wants lettuce wraps.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Ernest.

Smoked salmon, glazed with a honey, mustard, bourbon, orange sauce. Served with roasted Brussels Sprouts and salad.

Click image for larger version

Name:	salmon-bs.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	198279

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats how I like my sprouts. Very nice.

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      mgaretz , would you be willing to share your glaze recipe?

TIA

I sounds really good, and we eat a fair amount of salmon.

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure. About 2 tbs honey mustard, 1 tbs honey, 1 tsp bourbon (or a lot of time I'll use ruby port), 1/8 tsp orange extract. Note that I don't really measure. For grilled salmon I'll put on to start, form smoked about 30 minutes into the cook.

Pan fried salmon. Dry brined an hour or so. Sauteed onions. There was an onion laying on a cutting board on the counter, looked lonely, I thought,"why not?"
    Attached Files

Comment

You may recall that my wonderful wife and children bought me an Anova for Father's Day. So far I've only been able to do a few burger and salmon patty cooks. They turned out great but I've been dying to get some steaks in there. Yesterday was the day. I had three 1" thick Delmonicos (aka ribeye, I've never figured out exactly what Delmonico means) that came from a farm/butcher down the road. I've never bought their beef before so I was a little hesitant to add another new variable to the cook. I know their pork, chicken and turkey are very good so I figured I should be okay. I dry brined for 18 hours then vac sealed in individual bags and dropped them in a 128.5° hot tub for 7 hours. I don't know what the heck I was thinking but I forgot to put the BBBR on before sealing them. I guess I was just too excited. After they came out of the bags I patted them dry and added the BBBR. I let them rest and dry for about 15 minutes before I tossed them on a screaming hot cast iron griddle with a little veg oil on the gasser. I flipped them every sixty seconds for a total of 2 minutes on each side. They crusted up nicely. IT was 136° when they came off the grill. I forgot to get a pic of the inside (I guess I was too hungry) but it was perfect med-rare almost edge to edge. They were tender July and delicious. Even my boys, who typically don't eat the fat, didn't leave a morsel on their plate. The SV made the fat buttery soft. All in all, the steaks turned out great. I can't wait to try it again with some other variables and continue to expand my sous vide horizons. EDIT: Someday I'll figure out how to post pictures in the proper order. Oh well, you get the idea.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I generally don't rub before SV anymore. The rub largely flavors the purge. and if I'm going to reduce the purge, a rub like BBBR can get very strong.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I forgot to say.... nice cook. Good results. I'd eat it.

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Careful going that long under 129 degrees.

LangInGibsonia and Potkettleblack , this post come just at the right time. I just bought 2 prime NY strips from Fresh Market today and I've borrowed a friend's Anova for the weekend.

Ostensibly I borrowed the Anova to sous vide some pastrami a la Parrish ( David Parrish )--or or should that be "pastrami a le Parrish"?--but my friend said, "While you have this Anova, you've just got to do steaks on it." I know zip about sous vide, except for what I see on Chef Steps and here.

So I'm going to follow your all's method/recommendations this weekend while the pastrami is sitting in its rub waiting for it's time in the WSCGC.

Thank you so much!

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; July 21, 2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm gonna say that if you can reverse sear a steak really well (which I assume you can), SV steak will be less of an experience for you than others. Eggs, on the other hand... and chicken breasts... I'm thinking of short run things, as opposed to short ribs or pork shoulder.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm gonna do some corn on the cob this weekend. JKLA reports that it's incredible.

Potkettleblack Thanks for the tips. I did use the juice in the bacon braised Brussels sprouts that I was making. One question, is there a negative result in letting the steaks cook for longer than it takes for them to be done? I thought one of the benefits to cooking SV is that you can start a meal early then go about your day and not worry about meat over cooking. The proteins and fat and connective tissue all soften the longer it cooks and I'm sure there is a point of deminishing returns, but I thought the texture of the steak was just fine.

fzxdoc I'm also a total SV novice. This was only my fifth SV cook and first with whole muscle protein. It's like feeling my way through a black cave with AR and The Pit as a flashlight.
      Last edited by LangInGibsonia; July 21, 2016, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LangInGibsonia View Post

fzxdoc I'm also a total SV novice. This was only my fifth SV cook and first with whole muscle protine. It's like feeling my way through a black cave with AR and The Pit as a flashlight.
        Good way to describe it LangInGibsonia . At this point I'm comfortable in my Sous Vide Newbie Invisibility Cloak. If I screw it up, no one will ever know. I'll just ditch it and we'll go out for supper.

After all at this point I don't even own one, I'm just giving my friend's Anova a home for the weekend.

Kathryn

Comment

LangInGibsonia I know people who sv tender, steakhouse steaks for 24 hours. I think they're nuts, but I can't really knock it, not having tried it. The longer you go, the more tender the meat. When you have a ribeye, strip, filet or porterhouse, they're already pretty tender. That's why they're prized. So, I generally like to take them to temp, and take em off. But, I did do a really thick strip chunk, like maybe 4", to about 8 hours, and it was really good, so maybe the 24 hour people know something I don't. But I'm from a school that says buy nice ingredients and don't mess with them too much.

With too much time, you will make mushy steak. I don't want mushy steak.

Now, short ribs, 72 hours. I don't do them for less. They're so good for my palate at 133x72, that I don't even want to experiment anymore.

fzxdoc Here's one way to process your steaks. http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ye-recipe.html
          If you lack a torch, I'd just keep flipping.
          I would tweak kenji's method by cooking slightly hotter, 129-132, then shocking, before the sear. If you look at the last picture in this series (http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/u...slideshow.html), you can see some grey banding on the top side of his bite. Shocking reduces that banding, by giving you more buffer. You're still gonna get it dry, and finish it very hot. If I were you, I'd probably do it on the back of the grill grates on the sear station of the Summit. Or on a cast iron on the side burner, if your side burner is like mine, and runs absurdly hot.

Both of you: Eggs https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/the-egg-calculator
          You can thank me later.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks a bunch, Potkettleblack ! You just make my weekend sous vide steak cook a whole lot easier. You're the best!

Kathryn

• LangInGibsonia
            LangInGibsonia commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll thank you now. Thank you.

Not BBQ but I have been dying to try to emulate my favorite pizza from my home town (Columbus, Ohio) and I ran across www.pizzamaking.com. I found this thread http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/ind...html#msg281349

I followed his steps and started my own thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/ind...html#msg281349

Pics are included at the thread. Coming close!!!!

Comment

Simple wins everytime....

Comment

I'm going through a chicken thigh phase, just weeknight indoor roasted but damn tasty. I discovered that BBBR is great on birds, so there is BBBR on the first three in the pic and the rest have what might be he new house standard for poultry:

1 tablespoon tarragon
              1 tablespoon ground fennel
              2 teaspoons garlic powder
              2 teaspoons onion powder
              2 teaspoons ground black pepper

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                Jerod Broussard commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice, very nice. Me just looked at waaaaaaaay too many dead chickens and I am hungry for chicken.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I like BBBR on chicken, I think it makes it kinda Cajun flavored. I'm the only one in my family that likes it that way though.

6lb Choice brisket flat cooked last night while I was home awake. The boys pigged out on it for breakfast and had Cinnamon Toast Crunch for dessert.

Dry brined 11hrs, BBBR added later. Smoked at 220-228 with oak and peach wood for ~13hrs, roughly 2 of which was wrapped when it hit 170. I only took this brisket flat to 197, then lowered the kettle temp to 'power cambro' for about 2hrs. It held there for another hour even while the kettle temp dropped to 160.

Absolutely perfect texture. The fat cap just melted in your mouth and the slices, even the thick ones, bent around my finger nicely. It was worth the $6.99/lb, even though I normally wouldn't pay that.

Name:	IMAG0257_1.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	198577

Name:	IMAG0258_1.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	198578

Also cooked a rack of ribs using TexasPepperJelly.com's Rib Candy and Jelly, both peach-habanero flavored. And used only peach wood on the ribs. There was no peach flavor in the ribs, but they were an awesome treat regardless.

All this stuff is making my pants shrink, the weirdest thing.

Name:	IMAG0246_1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	198579

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad to hear that your boys got the Breakfast of Champions.

What a nice cook! Congrats.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks! fzxdoc

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here