Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hash made from leftover tri-tip with a poached egg.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tri-tip-hash2.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	154378

Comment

Chris Lilly loaf pan chicken....not bad nad at all Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001.JPG
Views:	443
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	154607 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	154606

Comment

A little Asian action!

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest, you're an evil, evil genius ... but in a very good way ...

Beef tongue omelette...... Goodness gracious that was GUUD!

Comment

I have to admit that you guy's are much more adventurous than I. Beef tongue? I'm sitting here thinking about everything that a cow's tongue touches during its life span. After pondering it for a bit my conclusion was no, I couldn't eat it. To me it's kind of like liver, the clearinghouse for every toxin that's ingested.

What does it taste like? Please don't tell me that it tastes like a ribeye.

Comment

• CapeMay
        CapeMay commented
        Editing a comment
        What about brats in natural casing?

I don't have to eat tongue or liver anymore so I don't. I'll eat ribeye.

• SteveFromLafayette
        SteveFromLafayette commented
        Editing a comment
        "I ain't eatin' nuttin dat came outta no stinkin' cow's mouth!"

Well what do you want?

"Fry me up a couple eggs!"

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        HAHAHA! I've posted smoked oxtail

Friday night pork shoulder, one picnic and two butts rubbed with MMD and basted with MH's Lexington dip. Smoked with cherry for eight hours on the kettle and finishing in the oven now. Pics when meat was en route from kettle to oven.

Comment

Smokey Mountain Ribeyes
        Attached Files

Comment

First cook with my new Vortex. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm supposed to do some calibrations first, but who can resist playing with a new toy?? First lesson learned: stay away from Royal Oak briquettes!! Garbage!! crap!! I only bought it because my normal supplier was out of KBB. Thank goodness it's gone now!! So Second lesson learned: make sure the lower part of your kettle is clean, or you end up with towering inferno as the stuff in the bottom burns off! (ask me how I know this) I must have burned off all the gunk where the SNS goes, because I don't have this problem with SnS.
          Continuing on...
          Vortex loaded with 3/4 chimney of Royal Oak. Once the vortex looked ready to consume everything, I placed my 8" cast iron skillet over top to get a temp measurement. 7 minutes to hit 680 degrees! 11 minutes to 800 degrees Fahrenheit. At that point I took the skillet off and put the chicken on. Top and bottom vents both 1/2 open at this point. Two smallish chunks of apple wood for smoke. Rotated lid every 15 minutes. 1/4 turn.

1800 hours: chicken on. Chicken was marinated in beer lime juice chicken marinade. recipe upon request.
          1832 hours: a peek at the chicken. Awesome all over golden brown color. Added breasts at this point, since they cook more quickly.
          1845: drumsticks off. Thighs put in the middle to sear.
          1850: thighs done. Aren't they beautiful! Love the sear off this baby!
          1 hour later temp still holding around 350. Didn't test much longer after this.

Conclusions:
          1) Chicken was delicious! My daughter (who does not like chicken breast) said "This is really moist!"
          Drumsticks and thighs disappeared like magic.
          2) Wonderful, awesome, seductive smoke flavor on this chicken! I don't know why, but this was the best apple smoke flavor I have ever gotten. Really was the bomb!
          3) Only turned chicken once. Probably did not have to turn it at all. Love that all-over golden brown!
          4) No flare-ups. Nor was there even a chance of a flare-up, since the coals were in the middle, and the chicken was outside the ring.
          5) If you want to fit more chicken on a 22" kettle, you could probably go with the small Vortex. Mine is the medium. Even with the medium, you can still get one boatload of wings on there!
          6) The Vortex is likely my new go-to for hot and fast chicken parts cooking. It provides very nice, even indirect heat, and you can plunk a chunk or two of wood over the center for awesome smoke flavor.

P.S. Don't worry @ Pit Boss, I haven't broken up with my SnS. I still love it, and it will always be a great tool in my BBQ toolbox. Just had to try something new!
          Last edited by Thunder77; April 8, 2016, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• SteveFromLafayette
            SteveFromLafayette commented
            Editing a comment
            I often find myself using Royal Oak, never had any problems though....sorry about your experience! Glad you nailed the chicken recipe

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            It's OK. Your SnS still loves you!

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Steve, maybe I just got a bad bag. It seemed "less compressed " than KBB on the edges. It did light fast, as advertised tho! Just didn't last. My local commissary has it on sale in a two pack. Maybe I should try again.

First slow cook with my new SnS: a small piece of pork butt with MMH! Did a flank steak yesterday (it was great!) but couldn't take any photos, because it was already dark outside and people were too hungry..
          Attached Files

Comment

• David Parrish
            David Parrish commented
            Editing a comment
            Good looking cook! If you slide the SnS closer to the wall of the kettle you can get a little more room on the indirect side.

• Timo
            Timo commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks guys! The SnS worked perfectly - I had no problem keeping the temps under control!

• Timo
            Timo commented
            Editing a comment
            The water actually lasted for more than nine hours and I think that might be part of the problem why it took almost 14 hours to cook the two-pound piece of pork. I just don't get it, it has never taken so long. But it was well worth the wait! Damn!

MMD makes great bark.

Comment

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            That's what I'm talking about!! 😎👍

Who says you can't BBQ in the rain? Rump roast, pulled at 130 IT after about 2 1/2 ours at 225 to 250 with mesquite logs for fuel.
          Last edited by boftx; April 9, 2016, 07:30 PM.

Comment

S n S Slow smoked Baby Backs, Black Truffle, Portobello, Caramelized Onion, 3 Cheese, Baked Mac and Cheese, Salad Homeade Poppyseed Dressing. Oh Yeah..

Name:	IMG_1513.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	155613 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	155614 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1507.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	155615 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1495.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	155616 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1503.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	155617

Comment

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              THAT. Brings a tear. Bravo.

Smoke 10# of bacon using cherry on the Yoder D20

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              One day I will get some pork belly.

• edible hen
              edible hen commented
              Editing a comment
              I can't live without it. I mismanaged my inventory last time and had to buy some from the store. Wasn't nearly as good as I remembered.

Had a heck of a time with temp control until the last hour or so. I have no I idea why. Usually S n S is rock steady.

Name:	IMG_2736.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	155623

Comment

Was it windy? I've found on windy days it's best to tighten down the top vent a little more than usual and open up the bottom vent a little more than usual. The air flowing over the kettle creates a sucking effect. Same principle that makes airplanes fly. The bottom vent has the ash catcher to help prevent wind flow so it's affected less.

Comment

• troymeister
                troymeister commented
                Editing a comment
                Hard to say David Parrish, Not windy at all today, I didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I am at a loss. When the temp finally settled, it just settled. I am very meticulous about setting up the S n S for a good start. But the meal was still fabulous.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here