Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sssshhh! I'm at a Hampton Inn again.....

I didn't blast the induction cooker for fear of Rhett smoke detector. Minus the uneven sear, Still beats eating out.

I gotta go!

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet set up, temp control similar to Sous Vide. Goes up to 460 degrees.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      hahaha, Stinkin' up the motel again, eh? Nice work Ernest. I bet the other guests are asking if they have a steak house on site!!

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker I can't worry about everybody all the time. HAHAHA.
      It's not fish.

Sweet roady food.👍

I traveled weekly for business for 40 years and never had that option. You've got it better than I did.😋

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Doing it your way while on the road will pay for that hot plate and your cast iron skillet in just a few cooks.

Saving on the cost of a steak and some wine at restaurant pricing... Adds up quickly.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead I got a 3 pack of prime steaks for $20.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Those 3 steaks in a nice steakhouse would probably cost you around $100 by the time you got out of there. Good move Ernest .

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to The Pit! Looking good.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome Mortrefuge

Secretariat Horseradish Cream Sauce from the tested recipe section.

Made for the St. Paddy's day corned beef and LOVED it. Supplanted the traditional mustard, easily. Made it again last night to go with prime rib, and it is just as awesome on prime rib!

Just wanted to share the experience, for anybody who may be interested.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I wont allow horseradish in my house. I'll take your word for it that it's good!

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Really hate the stuff, eh, Huskee ?

Never even have cocktail sauce with shrimp?

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      No sir! Not a big fan

BBQ Chicken and baby roasted beets, both made on the smoker at 450F.

Click image for larger version

Name:	bbq-chicken.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	151854

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Is there a tri-tip stuffed in that chicken???

• mgaretz
      mgaretz commented
      Editing a comment
      No, it's in the beets!

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha

Road eggs....

Comment

Baby Back Ribs for Easter. After a night of dry brining I rubbed with MHMD then applied an extra layer of brown sugar. I've never sauced ribs, but decided to sauce one rack this time around. All I had on hand was Sweet Baby Rays original, so that's what I went with. After tasting each, I prefer to keep 'em dry during the cook. Don't get me wrong, I love to dip 'em in sauce when I eat! Slow n' Sear, 26" Weber kettle, KBB & apple wood chunks...

Name:	IMG_1936.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	152117 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1938.JPG
Views:	445
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	152120 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1946.JPG
Views:	473
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	152118 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1947.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	152116 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1948.JPG
Views:	472
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	152119 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1949.JPG
Views:	470
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	152115

Comment

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        Money!

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        Those are beautiful! Post to our Facebook page?

• Onez
        Onez commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks everyone! These really are a product of all the helpful insights shared on these pages. Couldn't have done it without you guys, literally!

The beef ribs that were left over from my Easter dinner prime rib cook.

I sous vided them with the rib roast for 48 hours. Then I put them in a freezer bag and into the fridge for 2 days.

Today I fired up the BGE to 225° at high noon and put some hickory chunks in that bad boy. I took the ribs out of the fridge and put some beef love on them and then added some BBBR.

I smoked them low & slow for 6 hours. During the day I baked a loaf of ciabatta bread and made some Ceasar dressing for our salad. Before pulling the ribs from the BGE I made mushroom risotto with truffle oil as a side dish.

All turned out nicely.😆
      Attached Files

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Hail Caesar!!!!!

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod... Ceasar salad dressing is my all time favorite and it's so easy to make.👍

Pork butt Stew........in my hotel room!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Even Captain Obvious would know that has to be good.

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Man it was GUUD! It will be even better tomorrow

Got to use my new Sous Vide gadget tonight! Did a choice (from Costco) New York Strip. Was pretty stinking good! I need a bigger pan or one of those plastic containers cause one steak barely fit into my pot lol

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Editing a comment
        Nice going. I like my heavy duty plastic container. Wife says I need to clean the water out, I'm like, "Yeah right, mucho hours at 131 degrees, that stuff is sterilized!"

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        lol hadn't thought about that! besides alll the food is in vacuum sealed bags (or at least ziplock bags) waters just a heat delivery system unless it starts smelling Ewuuuue lol

ROTO DOGS!!!
      As we forgot to take something out of the freezer for supper and it was 1:00 PM I suggested baked beans and dogs. Had a pack of smoked sausages the would defrost quickly [now it's smoker related] As the afternoon wore on I got to thinking. Now that can be a dangerous thing and ROTO dogs was the result. I've not seen this technique written up here yet so Meathead feel free to use it. LOL
      Ya all have a nice day

Comment

• GadjetGriller
        GadjetGriller commented
        Editing a comment
        that's a great idea!! I see you had the back burner on so it really was just like a rotisserie!!

This is from my first cook with the SnS. I did not have my mavrick temp prob in yet but i couldnt wait. Had a small briskett (HOF) on the main grate with bacon layered on top, and a small 2.25 lb boston butt on the hovergrill above. I ran pretty hot judging by the fuel used and time. Both were done in 3 hrs. The briskett was a little tough but had great flavor. The pork butt made great pulled pork, the bone pulled straight out.
      Last edited by MObbqJLH; March 30, 2016, 12:44 PM.

Comment

This is my 2nd cook with the SnS. I have not installed my partyq yet as I wanted to see what kind of temps i run now. My One touch needs replacing. Some of the tongs are bent up so leaking air was a problem. I ran right at 255 for 2 hrs but when I removed the lid to get the ribs and tips wrapped, my fire shot way up to 316 and it took about an hour to get it down to 270. These came from the grocery store with the tips removed already in the pack. MH would say they were too done as they were falling off the bone. I managed to sauce them tho and they were deffinately the best spare ribs i have cooked. It was right at 4 hrs in this cook before sauce. Which just a few min each side over the SnS.
        Last edited by MObbqJLH; March 30, 2016, 12:57 PM.

Comment

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          When you open the kettle to mess with the meat (ex to wrap the meat) make sure to put the lid back on while you're wrapping the meat. If you leave the lid off for long the coals will get hot pretty quick and then you'll have a temp spike.

• MObbqJLH
          MObbqJLH commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you, ill keep that in mind

Sous vide + induction cooker + cast iron skillet = How to make it on the road....

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          You Da Man! The best traveling cook I've ever seen!👌

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Needs a traveling cooking show.

Had my second run at some beef ribs last weekend. I made them at home and then took them up to a friends cabin. I took them off the KBQ and wrapped them in plastic wrap and foil and then put them in the oven to rest for 3 hours. Then I put them in the freezer to drop the temp quickly. Then I put them in the cooler and headed north. I heated them in the oven at 300 F the next day for lunch. The reheating went well and the ribs turned out great. but I defiantly think there is room for improvement. I still need to find the elusive, "beef plate ribs" and cook those. But until then, I have to go with what Minnesota vendors will provide.

Name:	IMG_0031.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	152538 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0029.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	152539

Comment

• CapeMay
          CapeMay commented
          Editing a comment
          The ribs look great.

Modern farmer! Pliers replaced with a leatherman.
          (By the way, my son from Cedar Rapids arrives today for a visit. I'm looking forward to it.)

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker well you did slice them with a 20 year old Leatherman

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!!! The Ol' leather man has been with me for years. Jerod Broussard. Great multi-tool.
          I have a lot of family down in CR. Hope your having a good weekend with family! Guest

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here