Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LMR's with salad and pasta. Clive the dog looking on.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking food! I just love the look on Clive's face! Dog's is actually great jedges of bbq, (an' people too.) Listen to yer dog.

'I was in the kitchen, Seamus, that's the dog, was outside...;-)'
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 24, 2016, 08:32 AM.

My first Sous Vide steak. Seared on the 26" Weber Kettle & Slow n Sear.

I bought 2-2" thick choice Bone-in New York steaks, $5.77 per pound. My intent was to do 1 sous vide and then sear it on the grill today. The then tomorrow I'm going to do it all on the grill.

Today's steak I dry brined overnight in the fridge and then vacuum sealed it at noon and put it in the SV bath tub at 134°. At 6:00pm I took it out of the bath tub and out of the bag. I blotted it dry and painted on some beef love and put it on the direct side of the Warp 10 grill. I turned it with my long handle meat hook every minute. When I got the crust I wanted I pulled it and stuck the Thermapen in it, 135°.😉

Tomorrow I'm going to grill the other 1 reverse sear on the Weber & SnS just to see if there is a noticeable difference.🤔
    Attached Files

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll take a steak and a Kit Kat bar please :-) The steak looks delicious, and chocolate always catches my attention.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      fuzzydaddy ...

Kit Kat bars are my secret weakness.😆

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      BEEEyouteeful!

What I like about sous vide is it takes the guess work out of meal scheduling. I put a 2 inch tenderloin in (132F) water for four hours. If I'm not ready to eat, it sits there until I am. When ready I sear it in a pan or on a grill for a minute a side with thyme and butter, season it, and eat. Perfect foolproof steak.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed! It really helps in scheduling your cook.

Ok... Day 2 and the other steak cooked reverse sear on my large Big Green Egg. No plate setter & 1 grate. The BBQ Dragon is handy.👍

I dry brined the 2" bone-in New York steak overnight in the fridge. I fired up the BGE and got it to 225° and took the steak out of the fridge and put it on the grate up above the felt line and put in the meat probe from my DigiQ Dx2 and closed the dome. I left the dome down until the meat was at 120° IT.

I removed the meat and flipped my grate upside down to move the meat down to within 2" of the Warp 10 lump. I hit the lump with the BBQ Dragon to get the lump hot, 2 minutes. I put the steak back on and seared it.

The difference between the Sous Vide cooked steak and the reverse seared steak was noticable. The SV steak was more tender even though both were cooked to 135° internal temperature. So... I'm going to SV and grill my steaks... Most of the time from now on.😆
    Attached Files

Comment

Baked Mostaccioli. This is a really simple, make-ahead dinner. Tomorrow is car-pool hell for me and we will all be eating at different times. So I put this together tonight. It couldn't be more basic and simple but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The biggest key to making this a good dish is the scratch-made sauce. The second key is under-cooking the pasta so that it isn't mushy after baking for an hour.

Tube noodles
      Meat sauce (more on that in a moment)
      2 cups store-bought shredded mozzarella mixed in
      2 cups store-bought shredded mozzarella on top for the last 10 minutes of the cook uncovered (more on that as well).

The meat sauce is inspired by my Mother-in-law's spaghetti sauce. Tomato juice + tomato paste forms the base. To that powdered spices (garlic, onion, salt, pepper *I add oregano but she doesn't use it*) are added. I dash in a little of my homemade hot sauce and a little bit of sweetener to tame the acidity. My mother-in-law makes meatballs (which I do as well but not for this dish) and she adds thick slices of pepperoni. The meatballs and pepperoni give the sauce a lot of zesty flavor. She then simmers with the lid on for at least 4 hours and props the lid with a wooden spoon - I do the same. It really thickens nicely without being cloying. For this dish I kept the pepperoni - but I purchased a bag of Hormel mini pepperoni (this is a quick and simple weeknight dinner after all). I also used a pound of Bob Evans spicy sausage in lieu of meatballs. This resulted in a flavorful and zesty sauce with good meatiness and thickness.

The under-cooked pasta is immediately immersed into the sauce before clumping can occur. It is mixed with 2 cups of the mozzarella and cooked covered at 350 for 45 minutes. Then it is pulled and the foil cover is removed. The remainder of the 2 cups of mozzarella is added to the top. To that I added some dried parsley and oregano and I grated some fresh parmesano. It cooked uncovered for 10-15 minutes and that is it.

Homemade meat sauce and a little extra love incorporated into the cheese topping make this a delicious make-ahead weeknight dinner that is just as good re-heated as leftovers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0417.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	148152
      Last edited by JeffJ; March 14, 2016, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice, the dish, not the car-pooling.

Cast Iron seared worcester marinated flank steak with salad.

Comment

• bbqoaf
        bbqoaf commented
        Editing a comment
        I forgot to mention that you can see clearly that I did not have time to reverse sear, thick brown edges from just cast iron, still delicious but the reverse sear produces a superior product.

Last night's mushroom & sauteed onion burger, toasted buns. The side was Buffalo roasted cauliflower.
      The patties were from frozen, although hand-made. They took 50 min from the freezer cooking at ~330 indirectly to get to 160.

Name:	IMAG9557.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	148368

The Buffalo roasted cauliflower:

Name:	IMAG9562.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	148408
      Last edited by Huskee; March 16, 2016, 09:48 AM.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that a homemade bun Huskee

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        No DWCowles

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        That burger!!!

Today I'm smoking a 3lb rack of baby backs on the kettle + SnS. Using apple & grape wood.
      Less than desirable weather- low 40s, 45mph wind gusts forecast and off & on rain, sometimes pouring.

Name:	ribs 3-16-16.JPG
Views:	459
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	148374

After ~8.5hrs

The first 2 hrs I had the temp low, at 200-210. Then went up to 225-230 the rest of the cook.

My brown sugar definitely limited my smoke ring, but it's still there and that's ok by me!

Name:	IMAG9572.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	148587

Name:	IMAG9574.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	148588
      Last edited by Huskee; March 16, 2016, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        How'd these turn out, given the wind conditions?

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker Very good! Temps held so well it was insane. It bobbed between 221 and 228 nearly all day, most of the time at 226 & 227. I might have touched the vents 4 or 5 times in the 8+ hrs.

Nice, very nice Huskee ...

You make great looking buns.👌 I didn't know you knew how to make bread.🤔 You Da Man!

I keep about a dozen 6oz Steakhouse Steakburger patties in the freezer all the time. Just for those times when you feel like a good hamburger.😋 I drop it in the SV hot tub for 1 hour @135° and then sear in my cast iron skillet to get a crust on it and melt the cheese. I caramelize the onions while its in the bath tub. The whole process takes about 70 minutes total but only about 10 minutes of actual work.

You're becoming famous for your rib rub too.👍 I like what my WK & SnS do to ribs too.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Great post Jon Solberg ... 👌😆👍

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Breadhead ! Dont Tell A-Ron I lifted that back image from him hehehehehe

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok... It's top secret! If I tell him, I'll have to kill him.😎

Last Meal Ribs last night. St. Louis style ribs, rubbed with MMD then smoked for 6 hours at 225F. Sauce applied at the 5.5 hour mark. Served with white corn, salad and a glass of John Christopher Cellars Starlight red blend from 2008. Dessert was homemade cherry-chocolate-almond non-dairy ice cream.

Name:	lmr5.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	148480

Name:	lmr5-plated.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	148482

Name:	cherry-choc-almond.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	148481

Comment

• SteveFromLafayette
        SteveFromLafayette commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful! Nice work mgaretz

• mgaretz
        mgaretz commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like it should! Nice.

Lol, thanks for the pic Jon Solberg! I should have you design me a label or two. Here's the logo I made a few years ago for my shirts and for KCBS if I ever compete, which I probably wont.

Name:	logo.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	148506

Comment

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        I am no designer BUT I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night.

Which reminds me I still need to do my team swag for:

With A Bullet Barbecue
        Standish MI

Huskee

Huskee ... Here's my pre-mixed rubs I keep on hand all the time.👍

Big Bad Beef Rub.

Huskee's Rib Rub.

Memphis Dust.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going to try this now that its famous. I think I'll do a cumin free test this weekend.

• bpf120
        bpf120 commented
        Editing a comment
        Where do we find the huskee rub recipe???

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        bpf120 Forums > Recipes and Techniques > Rubs, Pastes, Marindes and Brines > Huskee's Rib Rub Recipe

Pittsburgh salad. Romaine, cucumber, carrot, red onion, cherry tomatoes, French fries, mozzarella cheese and reverse seared prime ribeye, cooked medium. No dressing needed but a little ranch or Italian goes well.

Comment

Yep! My Hampton Inn kitchen

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard Whey protein powder!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          What were you making?

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker anything that I wanted. I spend a lot of time traveling for work. I can't stomach eating out. LOL

Wild goose breast. Dry brined, then rubbed down with garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, sage, and savory. Slow cooked to 145 IT, and then seared to 160 IT. Unbelievable!! My youngest daughter said it was like steak. What better compliment than that??

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great, goose is delicious.

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard, it was Canadian. My first try with wild goose. I have had domestic before, but the wild is much better.

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Oooooh, dem some big greese.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here