Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/6/2016 through 11/7/2020

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While I was smoking a brisket on the new cooker, I decided to cook some of the meat in the fridge on the Kamado Joe. I had a rack of ribs and a bit of ground beef.

For the ribs I dry brined them and let them sit for a couple hours. Then rubbed down with mustard and applied some Slabs Perk Up Your Pork rub. I got the KJ stable at 225-ish and put the ribs on indirect over the diffuser with an empty drip pan underneath. After about six hours they passed the bend test. Did not foil. My wife wanted hers without sauce so I gave her half the rack dry. The other half I sauced with Blues Hog and put back on the KJ to caramelize. They turned out great. Tender but still a bit chewy, with a nice smoke ring.

For the burgers I used some mustard as a binder (wife is allergic to eggs). Added some garlic and onion powder, some Dizzy Pig Cow Lick and some worchestershire sauce. Formed the patties, got the KJ up to about 400 after finishing the ribs and I threw the grill grates on the KJ upside down (I've enjoyed grilling burgers and steaks on a griddle lately due to the crust). Burgers for lunch tomorrow!

Last edited by kingdarb; April 13, 2016, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• SteveFromLafayette
      SteveFromLafayette commented
      Editing a comment
      I heart bark!

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      WHAT??? sigh, I was sooooo expecting to see a WSCG cook! *sniff*

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      ribs still look great tho=)

Just finished slicing up roast for jerky. Got it marinating until the weekend. Rewarded myself with french bread and chocolate milk! Living that Ferris Bueller life today......how could I possibly be expected to handle work on a day like today?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveFromLafayette; April 13, 2016, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      SteveFromLafayette how thick do sliced the meat? Do you mind sharing your marinade recipe?

• kingdarb
      kingdarb commented
      Editing a comment
      mmmm jerky... i gotta try making that sometime!

• SteveFromLafayette
      SteveFromLafayette commented
      Editing a comment
      DWCowles I try to slice it around 1/8th inch thick. Partially freeze (not rock solid but firm) the meat for easier slicing. Trim any significant fat off. Keep your knife sharp.

I like to use soy sauce, teriyaki, cajun seasoning and a small amount of brown sugar.

A brisket and rack of baby backs.

Comment

Taco Tuesday on Wednesday....

Comment

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        What species of fish did you use?

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Sous vide tilapia

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, Tilapia. My youngest has really gotten on my case to make tilapia. Looking at your tacos I think I am going to try something similar.

I'm in the club now! Boneless skinless chicken breasts FTW!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome to the Sous Vide club.👍 You're gonna love that tool.

How did you sear the chicken breasts?

• josht138
        josht138 commented
        Editing a comment
        Just in a stainless steel pan. Wanted to keep it as simple as possible tonight. Didn't get a great sear but the chicken was great.

Here are some recent, albeit somewhat boring, cooks:

General Tsao's Chicken - weeknight dinner:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	157703

Name:	IMG_0457.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	157704

Pizza:

Name:	IMG_0460.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	157705

Chicken:

Name:	IMG_0464.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	157706

My mother-in-law recently had hip surgery. So, we picked up groceries and went over there this evening and cooked dinner - burgers, baked beans and macaroni salad. Simple stuff.

Name:	IMG_0466.JPG
Size:	303.4 KB
ID:	157707 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0467.JPG
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	157708

Comment

Smoking 4 racks on my mixon smoker. 2 st. Louis and 2 babybacks. Funny thing while I was smoking an hour ago a shoot out between my next door neighbor drug dealer and the state police. Real interesting. Checking temp and finding a place to hide. Lol. Wife freaked out..

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Criminetly, MagWarrior, I'd say it's time to move, wife, Mixon smoker and all! The sound of gunshots in the 'hood must do a number on real estate values though. Stay safe, man.

Kathryn

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Should have ordered the "Myron Mixon Bullet Proof Smoker"

• Jon Solberg
        Jon Solberg commented
        Editing a comment
        You win the full contact cooking award for sure! Doc said it best.

Pulled chuck. Put two on the offset so I could empty my gas tank for a long butt smoke next weekend. Less than 2 hours it was empty. Off to the Pit Barrel.
      Attached Files

Comment

Not nearly as exciting as MagWarrior's cook, but had to take advantage of the wonderful weather in Altadena today.

Name:	IMG_20160417_114414093.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	157891
        St. Louis racks just going into the Smoke Vault.

Name:	IMG_20160417_182730657 (1).jpg
Views:	415
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	160100

Served up with Meathead's Crack and Cheese...
        Last edited by theroc; April 23, 2016, 07:07 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Editing a comment
          No bullet holes in the smoker....not exciting at all.

I love seasoning a kettle after a good cleaning. : )
        Attached Files

Comment

Well not normally that way lol although I am surrounded by drug dealers. Everything normally very quiet. Until u throw ribs on the grill and the smell drives everyone crazy!! Lol

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe the State Police were looking for any excuse to get close to the marvelous smells wafting off that Mixon Smoker! Just kidding. Hope your cook turns out great, whatever is going on.

Kathryn

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Very nice man, very nice!!

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice cook & a great smoke ring.👍

Friends already came for the st.louies so no pics.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Booo! Booo1 I like St. Louis myself. Can't imagine why you would have a swift "grab and go" in that neighborhood.

The wife pick up a pack of Jalapeno Chedder Bratwurst patties at Wally World yesterday and I grilled them on the Weber gasser today...They were FANTASTIC especially with Spiracha mayo, tomato and lettuce on a toasted bun. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0005 (1).JPG
Views:	435
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	157924

Comment

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            Woozers. Those are from Walmart?!! Looks awesome.
            Last edited by Jon Solberg; April 17, 2016, 05:21 PM.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            I've made brat patties before and my family and I are fans, they are tasty suckers. We like the mushroom & swiss ones. A drizzle of yellow mustard and I'm happy.

Sorry no pics, my computer and camera or not playing well together. Cooked beef ribs for the first time on my Camp Chef pellet grill and was really pleased.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here