Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 27, Fall / Autumn 2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today has been a busy day in the kitchen. Homemade Beouf Bourginon Ala Julia Childs for dinner tonight. Three pork butts for a full day smoke tomorrow starting at 4 am. The pork butts are for an Ace Hardware Ladies Night event. Chef Graham on duty to cook and serve. And to top it all off, i have 2.5 lbs of burnt ends to cook for a friend. I sure hope it's not to cold tomorrow.
    Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Baller!!!

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, busy time indeed. You’re gonna make a lot of people happy.

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Power user! Best of luck!

True comfort food. Homemade chicken and dumplings. Bisqick dumplings and bone in skin on chicken breasts. Chicken cooked sous vide at 145 degrees for 2 yours then hand pulled and simmered with the drop dumplings. This one made by my bride!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1206222133-03.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1339812

Comment

• Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn thank you, I wiped my chin a few times myself!

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      I miss chicken n’ dumplings. My mom made it decades ago but I’ve not had any for a long time. She would actually roll out the dough and cut it into 3 inch strips.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess they are both keepers

Y’all have seen me do crab cakes/salmon cakes in the past. But I want to talk about technique here. I found a recipe that called to take about a third of the salmon (in this case) and emulsify it with the mayo, mustard, spices, egg. The other 2/3 is roughly chopped (again salmon as opposed o lump crab). Chopped salmon is tossed with panko, then the emulsification is folded in. Kinda like a mousse folded into the remaining ingredients. It was a study in texture. And it did not disappoint! New technique in the arsenal. Served with arugula (it’s a vega-ta-bull) (name the movie) and toasted ciabatta from Sunday.

Name:	00125D71-62B7-4315-9ED0-231BF7993289.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1339855

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      My Blue Heaven?

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      DaveD winner winner! One of my favorite movies! And thank you for answering the question. 🤣

I love when the matriarch bribes the little league judge! It’s all godfather-like and stuff 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      It has been AGES since I saw that flick, I can barely remember much about it... par for the course

Chicken Madras

Name:	madras.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	1339858

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      looks downright tasty!

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      Pass me a bowl!

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Curry, me like curry.

Little quick lunch of venison burgers Click image for larger version

Name:	2BA1512E-D1C3-4891-B38C-3F513A25906F.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	1340038 Click image for larger version

Name:	E0F2C6B0-C42F-4A30-9813-3B6608DECE7F.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1340036
    Attached Files

Comment

• Clawbear57
      Clawbear57 commented
      Editing a comment
      Will have to try that.

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve obviously had too much to drink. Your grill grates look wavy.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Gangster!

Same Mexican MeatLoaf, except this time we used a meatloaf pan. Good Investment

Name:	IMG_4260.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1340108

Name:	IMG_4263.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	1340109

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking good

Last minute ribs. 1 hour dry brine, rubbed with Meathead's Memphis Dust. I completely butchered the cut.

Name:	PXL_20221207_192504048.MP.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	1340146

Name:	PXL_20221207_225445761.MP.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1340145

Name:	PXL_20221207_225535632.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	1340143

Name:	PXL_20221207_232424079.MP.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1340144

Name:	PXL_20221207_232543121.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1340142

Comment

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      cashelton I'm going to guess whatever you think was wrong didn't affect the taste at all. Looks great!

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Ribs and PBR,

Rice and oxtail.

Name:	PXL_20221208_000826880~2.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1340152

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Going Caribbean? Can you do it goat curry style too? Looks delicious! Oxtail is one of the most under utilized cuts in the us, and I love it!

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter not Caribbean curry. This was salt, chipotle powder, onion and tomato paste. Oxtail has been "chefed" up in recent years and now price has gone way up. I think it's the best part of the cow.
      Yes, I've done curry goat way too many times. LOL

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      DAYUM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20221207_182522311.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	1340206

They have been "Traegerized" in 38*F weather.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20221207_183627427.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.21 MB ID:	1340205

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sorry!! 😁

Honey nut squash pasta. I added toasted pine nuts. The recipe has bacon, shallot and crushed red pepper.

Name:	56610D1D-E05F-444D-81A1-EA82BD2E730D.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1340218

Comment

Wednesday night impromptu picanha. This thing was pulled from the freezer and solid as a rock at 5:45pm. We were eating by 9. Cous cous and blue cheese pistachio salad. Not bad considering how pulled together everything was.
    Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks fabulous! And I like how you got it from freezer to plate that quick! Did you thaw and do it on the grill, drop it into a sous vide bath and then sear, or just smoke it from frozen and reverse sear?

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris started the defrost in a water bath (was vacuum sealed). Left it there while I did other prep work and got the fire going. When it was defrosted enough to have the rub stick, I seasoned it and threw it on the grill. Flipping often, adjusting distance between coals and meat, managing flareups, etc. It was ~85F in the core when I pulled it off the grill and stuck it in a 225F oven to slowly finish to 125F. Finished the rest of prep while it came to temp. Sliced and served.

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Rice cooker can make perfect cous cous on the long grain white setting.

Too wet outside to grill, even under the pavilion (everything is wet!), so my two chuck eye steaks, cut from a chuck roll, got a new cold pan flipping sear treatment in, of all things - my Oxo non-stick skillet, instead of the cast iron! There was a recent discussion and post of a video of this technique elsewhere in the Pit: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ar#post1339529

They were surprisingly good! And the baby bello mushroom gravy I made took them over the top!

I will say - shout out to gboss here - that these chuck eyes I cut myself were some of the most tender steak I've ever had. Even just flipped in a pan for 12-14 minutes, they were so tender and good. They started falling apart on me along the fat seams, but the wife and I both really enjoyed these. I finished mine. I get the rest of hers for lunch tomorrow, haha.

While mushrooms cook, steaks are searing in the skillet, 2 minutes per side (starting in a COLD PAN), with nothing but Tellicherry pepper on the steaks. No dry brine.

Name:	IMG_0274.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	1340240

After about 14 minutes, my steak was 135, wife's was 140ish. Finished them with a sprinkle of kosher salt...

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	1340239

Now, to smother it with mushrooms...

Name:	IMG_0278.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	1340238

Only knock with this technique is that it doesn't sear the edges of the steak, but I really didn't care, as it was that good...

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      gboss I will have to think of that next time. I have a defrosted roast from the chuck roll that is tied up in twine in the vacuum bag, but I think I did that to make it into a cylindrical shape more than anything. I'm either smoking that or instant-pot cooking it tomorrow. Likely the IP, as it predicted 80% rain tomorrow...

• Clawbear57
      Clawbear57 commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris thanks ! Will have to try it.

• WayneT
      WayneT commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s how a pro rolls when Mother Nature comes to visit.

Venison summer sausage. Finished fermenting today, so into castings to dry out. Will hang in smoke vault and smoke tomorrow.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! That's a lot of Sausage.

Venison hot gut.
    Attached Files

Comment

Soup du jour.

Name:	1E9F26F7-9FD2-433A-B511-867294DDFC83.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1340391
      Potato leek, garnished with green onions and chive oil.

Comment

• Clawbear57
        Clawbear57 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sound delicious, I'm coming over.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here