Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not get to the Chicago style thin crust like I wanted to tonight. Did French bread pizza instead. And, no, it’s not stouffers. While I did pay homage to the triangle pepperoni. My deli only had large format pepps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F14E2EA8-FD24-4BF5-ABF2-8E3187F0E289.jpeg
Views:	349
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	1191483

Comment

Supper last night was two New York strips from Porter Road, and I did some bacon fried rice in the wok. Reverse seared the New York strips. When I was starting out learning how to do a steak around here, Panhead John told me that he reverse seared steaks no matter how thick they were. Many cooks later and I 100% agree with this -- the smoke flavor improves pretty much any steak to me
    Attached Files

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Strips!

My second batch of kombucha. Cherry on the left and cranberry on the right. The plastic bottles are carbonation testers, when they are hard to press, the carbonation is done and it is time to put all of them into the fridge. I need to work on my bottle filling technique, the full ones should all be up to the bails for the lids. Made quite a mess with the first pour of the cherry but learned my lessons and no mess at all with the cranberry. 👌

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      ... and a syphon.

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      pkadare I am about to bottle my first batch. Curious, how long did your secondary fermentation take for batch 1? I’m hoping for two batch brews and then moving to a larger vessel for continuous brewing.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      jhapka - my first F2 took about 6 days but we keep the house cool in the winter up here.

Forgot to post this the other day. The WSCG was getting tired of only cooking steaks, so let it smoke a chuckie. Lunch the next day was a bbq beef melt. The Mac and cheese was STCG’s recipe for the instant pot he did a couple weeks ago with Velveeta and fresh parmesan instead of cheeses my daughter would whine about.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by glitchy; March 19, 2022, 07:56 AM.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Jeeze that looks good

Last night's dinner became today's brunch instead. I was really tired when I got home from work last night, so, instead of cooking as planned, I ate some Fritos and Frito bean dip with a beer, kicked back with a book and glass of wine, and went to bed soon after.

This morning I decided to go ahead with the cook: Townsend's Breaded Pork Chops recipe from 1767

The gravy was made from Townsend's Cullis Recipe from 1788 - basically a broth on steroids - that I made several days ago (despite the video title it is not any harder than making a regular stock). I used venison stock to make the cullis:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220319_104403.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.36 MB ID:	1191801

In addition to the herbs, I used Townsend's Kitchen Pepper recipe from 1777 to season the pork chops. I made this last year and it is most similar to, but different from, TexJoy Steak Seasoning - it subs really well for TexJoy and is excellent on pork: https://youtu.be/ZEu6z3L34v8

This was really, really good. The gravy is similar to a Steak Diane sauce. Apparently people in the 1700s liked tart things with vinegar or lemon. Next time I make the cullis I will leave the lemon out so it will work better with modern cooking. It would be an excellent seasoned stock for use in all kinds of recipes.
    Last edited by 58limited; March 19, 2022, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I have long been interested in Thomas Jefferson's cookbook and you've inspired me to drop it in the Amazon account, thanks! https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Jeffer.../dp/0971988560

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike Damn you! I have several reprinted old cookbooks thanks to Tasting History's and Townsend's youtube channels. I haven't seen Jefferson's cookbook before and now I've ordered it thanks to you. Like I need another cookbook.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Everyone is skipping the real excitement. DAMN I LOVE FRITOS AND BEAN DIP! Where is the pic of that?!?!?!

Click image for larger version  Name:	63EBA982-C6E4-44E9-A5F9-97A1BBE92AE1.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	4.18 MB ID:	1191844

Had a left over flat of corned beef, so…

​

​​​​​​​
    Last edited by Draznnl; March 19, 2022, 01:08 PM.

Comment

It’s been too long
      Attached Files

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Tell me bout them taters

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Potatoes!!

• rgriffeath
        rgriffeath commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn Yes, in general I follow Kenjii’s method for this potato preparation

rgriffeath the potatoes look like the SE recipe…. And you nailed it! Good looking meal.

Comment

Fettuccini Alfredo with Italian Sausage…DELICIOUS!!!

Recipe from Chef @ericgephart
        Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice pasta!

Haven’t posted a cook in quite a while, mainly because I forget to take pictures, and some of our members would come down hard on me. You know who you are FireMan, HawkerXP, etc. Anyway, sometimes simple is really good. Couple of thick pork chops plus a little Meat Church Holy Cow, a baked potato, roasted cauliflower, and some marinated veggies. Excellent. And you’ll never guess what’s on the baked potato—Laughing Cow. Saves a bunch of fat and calories rather than cheese and/or sour cream. Also had a splash of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked thanks to glitchy, although I’m pretty sure it’s a different bottle from my Christmas jug. Anyway, here ‘tis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	8D4244F5-3B7C-46BC-9EE0-DFE5361AC74E.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	1192290 Click image for larger version

Name:	8DC4033C-6A4A-44B2-BA0E-4C6314FA3FEE.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1192289

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Great lookin cook!
          And you earn a sticker fer yer forehead fer the pics, yessir! 🕶

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks marvelous!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, when you take photos, you sure do them up right. Nice job! Great-looking dinner. All that spice sure makes those chops look pretty.

Kathryn

Made some Huli Huli Chicken tonight on my Weber. Cheers to early spring BBQ!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          That color is fantastic!

Folks we started a new SUWYC vol 25, Spring 2022, please post your cooks here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...25-spring-2022

For those of you who posted in this topic today, your posts have been moved there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here