Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We bought a quarter of a grass fed beef last week, and I asked the guy to make sure to include soup bones. Turns out no one else wanted any, so I now have a bunch. I was expecting, well - bones. What I got was a dozen packages of meaty beef shanks. Since today was stupidly cold here in the sunny South, a braised beef of some sort seemed like a great plan. (Currently 30F, windy, and on the way to a low of 20F - completely unacceptable.)

I pulled from several recipe ideas for braised beef, osso bucco, white bean stew, and came up with this.

The shanks were Salted and the browned in the Dutch oven, followed by sautéing a mix of onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. I deglazed the pan with chardonnay, and then added chicken stock to stretch the braising liquid. The veggies went back in the pot first. With some insight from fzxdoc (thanks, Kathryn!), Rancho Rordo Royal Corona got a 15 minute boil and then on top of the veg. Beef shanks next, followed by fresh rosemary, thyme, and flat leaf parsley. I forgot to add drained diced tomatoes with the veg, so they ended up on top. (No pic - not pretty!).

Because my wife had bread and Turkish soft bagels in the oven (no idea - it's something I can't read in Cyrillic alphabet!), I kept the pot on a slow stove top simmer for an hour. It went in the oven for 5 more hours at 300. I ended up adding stock and wine a couple times to make up forost liquid to the beans.

The shanks were gloriously tender and really flavorful. The beans were like pillow beefy orbs of goodness, and the aromatics did the aromatic thing. The gremolata with toasted bread crumbs, garlic, lemon zest, and garlic add a zesty crunch that unexpectedly was awesome.

It turned out really well, but next time I'd put the beans down first so they are covered with liquid as much as possible. I should have added probably at least another cup or two along the way - they were almost all deliciously creamy beans but a few were not. Royal Corona are awesome. I will absolutely make this again with a few tweaks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220312_225438.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.65 MB ID:	1188764 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220312_125026.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.16 MB ID:	1188768 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220312_130632.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.98 MB ID:	1188765 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220312_131752.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.00 MB ID:	1188766 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220312_132818.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.74 MB ID:	1188767 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220312_194936.jpg Views:	6 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	1188770 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220312_225346.jpg Views:	6 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	1188771
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Caffeine88; March 12, 2022, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      One of my favorite dishes. Next time (when its not winter) give them a kiss of smoke. Ups the dish to notches unknown to mankind !! Well done !!

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Big score. Nice cook!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Wonderful

Love ossobucco and looks like you knocked it out of the park, thos "Turkish bagles" omg.

Comment

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Those things were off the chart. Ridiculous.

Made some ribeye, SV @ 130, sear with an inverted vortex on the Weber kettle. Wall to wall goodness, these actually started to fall apart a little on the grill (I don’t normally do Prime but caught a deal, these had a lot of intramuscular fat). Also made a 3 cheese mac & cheese, both were hits Click image for larger version

Name:	5A000BA2-05C2-4C89-8C2A-F10057224214.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	1188776 Click image for larger version

Name:	50751BA0-6B73-4B70-B216-C500BEAA2B74.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1188777 Click image for larger version

Name:	CA841B8A-2960-419A-81BC-56A710C36540.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1188778

Comment

Maiden voyage of our new SnS kettle. Fast and hot rib-eyes with the cold grate method. Awesome sear. Served with flyingpiglet 's goat cheese asparagus tart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220313_020227348.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	1188788

Name:	PXL_20220313_022013562.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	1188789

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        I did the same thing (no tart, made purple cauliflower from csa. Purple cauliflower hates the camera) tonight! But my pictures were horrible, so didn’t post. I only have the SnS insert. It’s a beast, huh?

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        That's more than a maiden voyage, it's a full-on tickertape parade. Lots of good flavors on that plate. Congrats.

Kathryn

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!

I’m in the kiddie end of the pool……Our local market had Corned Beef Brisket for 1/2 off so I picked up a few and will do the first one SousVide. Doing this at 176 for 8 hours. If it doesn’t work, I have plenty of Guinness for a protein substitute!

Name:	32CD6757-5ADD-4AF7-90D8-EBF81727F519.jpeg
Views:	273
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	1188840

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Back when I first started PLing and was a broke college kid, I ran out of protein shake. Decided to add a can of tuna to a diet coke in the blender. Don't remember choking it down, but remember almost loosing it for about an hour after every time I burped.

• Santamarina
        Santamarina commented
        Editing a comment
        texastweeter 🤮🤮🤮

• tmaan235
        tmaan235 commented
        Editing a comment
        I love a proper backup
        You da man...

Being an original Buffalo area guy now living in Florida, my buds up north would never believe I can get wings as crispy as they come out of the fryer, on my vortex. Used a 1/2 cup of Frank’s powder mixed with a pinch of powder to 1/2 cup of cornstarch
      Attached Files

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Those wings look outstanding. What liquid did you add to the cornstarch, Franks, and baking powder mixture? I see those wings swimming in that bowl, not just sitting around with a rub on them.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; March 13, 2022, 11:38 AM.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I was wondering the same thing Katherine.

• BBryans3
        BBryans3 commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn’t add any liquid, but but I didn’t pat moisture from them before I added the seasoning

Wings:30
      Franks powder: 1/2 cup
      baking powder:1tsp
      cornstarch:1/4 cup
      grill: Weber 22”
      all measures approximate , as beer was involved 🍻

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure you okay with the 22" though.

• tamidw
        tamidw commented
        Editing a comment
        No liquids added to the mixture?

• BBryans3
        BBryans3 commented
        Editing a comment
        I rarely ever do big enough cooks to go bigger than the 22..although if I find a deal on something cool…....no liquids added, just never patted them dry
        Last edited by BBryans3; March 19, 2022, 07:38 AM.

Seared a beef roast in cast iron then it went into the pellet grill @375* to finish the cook.

Name:	20220307_170956.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	1188884

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks nice. Eye of Round?

• Whiskeyman53
        Whiskeyman53 commented
        Editing a comment
        Skip , Thank you, it was a bottom round roast.
        Last edited by Whiskeyman53; March 13, 2022, 03:04 PM.

One great use of leftover tri tip. Pho noodles. Don’t put the beef in while it’s cooking. That will make the meat tough. Add the cold precooked meat as the broth is cooling.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1188987

Comment

Cause Chick-Fil-A is closed on a Sunday.
        Attached Files

Comment

Made smash burgers last night on the Blackstone. Always a hit with the fam. These were ground tri-tip. Tri-tip has a similar fat content to chuck, so they make good burgers. If the tri-tip looks a little lean I add some fat from brisket trimmings or a few pieces of bacon (these could’ve used a slice or two).

Started by cooking onions, bacon, and toasting the buns - with mayo instead of butter!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	8A7BFEF7-C90C-4C51-AD06-12D860183639.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.80 MB ID:	1189015 Click image for larger version  Name:	A5FBE990-66C1-4DB4-B0C1-B447D6695E6B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.19 MB ID:	1189016

Did some fried mustard on mine…just like they do at In-N-Out. 🌴😎🌴
          Click image for larger version  Name:	D785EF91-8CD2-4E27-ADED-4DC065763F6E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.46 MB ID:	1189013

Used shredded cheddar/jack because we didn’t have any block/slices on hand.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	CE75139D-43AD-417F-B705-45AE8FF0747B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	1189014

The wife made fries and onion rings inside. No after photos because we were too busy eating! 😎🍔😎
          Last edited by Santamarina; March 13, 2022, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I would have thought that tritip would be more like ground sirloin. Whatever they are, the look amazing.

• Santamarina
            Santamarina commented
            Editing a comment
            Don’t trim the tri-tip and it’s just right for burgers!

Cooked pork belly burnt ends for friend get-together we normally do on Friday nights. Theme was appetizers. Turned out awesome. Last night friend and I stopped at local butcher and grabbed smoked pork chops and seared them on flattop for dinner last night. Served with baby potatoes roasted with butter, garlic, salt, pepper and fresh shredded Parmesan cheese, cauliflower, side salad. Didn’t get plated picture.

Name:	A3A48DF7-CAA0-454F-AAF6-4982724FDAB4.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	1189037

Name:	68F96818-6FF9-4E89-AE58-FB994777A653.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	1189036

Comment

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm drooling

wood fired Pittsburgh style pierogi pizza
          ...lightly smoked sour cream bacon and chive sauce, seasoned mashed potatoes,smoked Italian sausage cheese and caramelized onions 🙂
          Attached Files

Comment

Smoked Pork roulade
          Stuffed with smoked Italian sausage spinach and provolone cheese wrapped in bacon and seasoned with Canadian smokesman signature pork rub
          Attached Files

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks delish Sir.

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Superb! 😛

Sous vide que chuck roast, first batch of kombucha, sous vide egg bites
          Attached Files

Comment

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            tamidw https://anovaculinary.com/easy-homem...ide-egg-bites/

They’re just a great quick breakfast. I make enough for a week or two at a time and to reheat put in a small saucepan with a couple inches of water and heat on medium until the lid starts shaking.

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I use those same containers for my egg bites! Do they ever break on you? I make them every couple of weeks and am very careful with heat (and cooling). None-the-less, I lose one every two months to a compromise at the base. If I don’t catch it right away it makes quite a mess.
            Last edited by tbob4; March 14, 2022, 08:25 PM.

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            tbob4 yep we went from dropping them in like depth charges to gently placing them with tongs. Very careful about abrupt temp changes. Still we lose one here and there

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here