Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another awesome smoke day! Prime Rib cooked to 140 seasoned in Moose Knuckle Brisket Rub. Tri Tip smoked like a brisket in Bearded Butcher Original. Chopped Pork instead of pulled pork. I smoked it with a foil pan on the bottom..I chopped, reapplied Rub, and add in left over pan juice. It stayed moist and tender. I finished the day with Country Style Pork Ribs. I will need to eventually get another nice cutting board.
    Attached Files

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, awesome!

First attempt at smoking cheese! Did 3 hours with some apple pellets and it’s sitting in parchment now in the fridge overnight. Tomorrow I’ll vac seal it and the long wait begins. Torn between waiting one or two weeks, but going to try and be patient. Got two sharp cheddars, 1 pepper jack, and 1 muenster.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Baltimorelger
      Baltimorelger commented
      Editing a comment
      Cross posted from my Reddit post as well it seems 😊

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      Cut some off now. Then season the rest. Have the non seasoned. Take notes. Then in 2 weeks sample the seasoned. You will know why 2 weeks is worth the wait.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I personally am ok with a few days wait, though things do get better with time. I thought my pepperjack I smoked was off, but it needed 3 weeks before it tasted good. My opinion of course, wife said it was fine after a week.

Seriously, WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!

Comment

I combed through the pages of this brand new thread and this is my contribution? Hahaha GEEZ!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211227_033444353.PORTRAIT.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	1149477
      Last edited by Ernest; December 26, 2021, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Your posts always make me hungry

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        No leg-pulling

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        That's poultry in motion. Well, OK, it's stopped moving, but still.

So Collette wanted to get in on the cooking band wagon and we spent the morning making over 500 ravioli. While that seems like a lot, she lays out a sheet of pasta and does about 80 - 90 at a time. I make the fillings and she does all of the rolling, forming and pressing. The main recipe is the standard beef and spinach (and other stuff) from my Italian family and we made a smaller batch of Italian sausage and ricotta cheese. It's actually pretty easy and fun to do. It was just the 2 of us this morning, but getting together with my Italian family and making ravioli is an all-day riot with plenty of bloody Mary's, red wine, loud talking, laughter, and more love than the room can hold! Bei tempi!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ravs.1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	1149512

Click image for larger version  Name:	ravs.jpg Views:	0 Size:	741.5 KB ID:	1149513
      Last edited by CaptainMike; December 26, 2021, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        In your photo, I see what I believe is a ravioli press/roller? I love the look of that! I have a press that….works ok, so usually I make by hand and use a cutter. But that roller is how to do it! I’ll have to look up a video of those!

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice catch, Jeremy. We've tried a few different rollers over the years with similar results to yours. We found this one at an estate sale and it works great. If you look closely it has wider spines, about 1/4", that separate and seal the ravs a lot better. Also, Collette starts in the middle and works outward both ways. This helps limit the "bulldozer" effect of pushing and piling the filling from one side to the other.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, I need to find a source for fresh. Maybe I need to try some small batches.

We made fire and "braai-ed" on Friday evening and then again Saturday afternoon for Christmas lunch (no pics) and again on Sunday.
      More of a simple Sunday sausage fest and a Texan pork steak (for the wife). My cousin, who is fan of boerewors and blind from birth picked the "wors".
      The sausage on the grid was oriental chilli wors, sosatie wors and a chorizo loop.
      I prefer thick wors but wasn't much to choose from so thin wors it had to be.
      Served on seeded hot dog rolls with left over sides.
      Curried 4 bean, potato and green salads and creamed sweetcorn.
      Leftover trifle for dessert.

Name:	20211226_171150.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	1149538

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Mouthwatering!!

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Those 'wors' look great! I can see them in the bun, with some fresh onions, mustard, maybe what they call 'pebre' in Chile, which is almost the same as a pico de gallo.

I did a quick starter today. It is done with direct grilling only. I use Sumac (dried red berries with a distinct lemony flavor) to add flavor to Vannamei shrimp, perhaps better known as white-leg shrimp. They're slightly bigger and more meaty than regular shrimp.
      Grill avocado halves over direct heat for 2-3 minutes. Apply a good amount of sumac to cover all shrimp. Now sear them for 1 minute in a cast iron pan, hot as h*ll.
      Serve on a plate, and drizzle some balsamic vinegar creme over. You can also use mayo if you like, works great too.

Name:	01-förrätt-avokado.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1149547

Name:	02-förrätt-avokado-grill.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	1149548 ''

Name:	03-förrätt-räkor.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	1149551

Name:	04-förrätt-räkor-sumak.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	1149550

Name:	05-förrätt-räkor-grill.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1149549

Name:	06-förrätt.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	608.2 KB
ID:	1149552

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting, I like it 👍

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! You get better avocadoes in Sweden than we do in NorCal!

• theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        Fantastic. Love grilled avocados, and the shrimp look great. Will need to try sumac with shrimp now.

Took too many days off from the internet for the holidays. Here is my Christmas Eve prime rib roast. 225 in the ThermoTemp XL until 115 then seared on the flat top on tallow from the Akaushi brisket of a few weeks back. Turned out awesome, though as usual my phone pictures aren’t the best.
      Attached Files

Comment

A few days late, but my first attempt at prime rib for Christmas. A bit more grey band than I would like, but everyone still loved it. Smoked in my Weber kettle with SNS at 210-240 to ~117 and seared to 130. But there was a fat end and a skinny end, and I put my probe in the center. Next time I think I'll put it at 1/3 deep on the fat end. Still pretty happy!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Grillin Dad; December 27, 2021, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Been a while, hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas! Here’s the Chateaubriand Oscar I made for Christmas dinner!
          Attached Files

Comment

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            WOW! I am agog. Beautiful!

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Whoa. Nice.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Dude that is fantastic. Steak Oscar is one of my all time decadent favorites !!!

So I wasn't good about posting cooking pictures this past weekend until yesterday. Cooked this rib roast around 225 until IT hit 130 then seared. Came out very well for my first "prime" rib. I used Kinders SPG. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211226_170439.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1149632 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211226_173303.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1149633

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            My family would be all over that! Very nice.

• jpietrantone
            jpietrantone commented
            Editing a comment
            ecowper mine sure did!

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, yer good now!

Christmas dinner. No time to take pics. Rotisserie chicken and 5 bone prime rib and I cooked the ribs and chicken on my big Weber gasser with cherry smoke. Boneless prime rib on Weber kettle 22 with SNS at about 250 indirect and then seared on gasser.

Name:	63C8DA19-FB05-4FB6-A751-E23210C11B77.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1149756 Click image for larger version

Name:	665E1068-13C8-41B4-9594-C1BD76D48846.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	1149757 Click image for larger version

Name:	E1EA1CD2-1B4A-4142-8115-86DF361A839E.jpeg
Views:	298
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	1149755

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            A 22 pound rib roast? WOW! How many guests did you have, if you don’t make no me asking?

• kjbarth
            kjbarth commented
            Editing a comment
            22 people. Was a 7 bone full primal rib roast (BTW, I paid $89, not $246) but I cut off the 2 end ribs and made 4 ribeye steaks now sitting in my freezer. We had a lot of food but it all was eaten by the Italian side of the family.

Last night, at Stacy's request, I turned that ham bone into ham and beans. Used Rancho Gordo's cranberry beans, the remnants of the ham and bone. Made some ham broth first, then added a mirepoix, beans, and about 8 ounces of Mac n Jack's Amber Ale. Started at 1 PM, was serving at 6 PM.

Bone, water, onion, carrot, celery for the broth. Cooked for about 90 minutes

Name:	Boxing Day Ham Broth - 1.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1149811
          Ham I pulled off bone and diced up

Name:	Boxing Day Beans - 1.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1149807
          The bone after cooking. I kept it, will make more stock. It's not done :-)

Name:	Boxing Day Beans - 3.jpeg
Views:	251
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1149808
          Cranberry beans ..... NOM

Name:	Boxing Day Beans - 4.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1149810
          Onion, carrots, celery ..... cooked in EVOO until onion is translucent

Name:	Boxing Day Beans - 2.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1149805
          All the dry ingredients

Name:	Boxing Day Beans - 5.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1149809
          Ready to serve!

Name:	Boxing Day Beans - 6.jpeg
Views:	230
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	1149806

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Gorgeous, Eric.

Maiden voyage of my new carbon steel skillet. Chicken fried steak, gravy and smoked mashed potatoes. Thank you again HawkerXP
          Attached Files
          Last edited by DavidNorcross; December 27, 2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            So glad I found that discussion and you hadn't already got one.

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            OMG, WOW, Yowzer! (I can't come up with anything original. That looks incredible!)

• bunky2021
            bunky2021 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, looks so good it should be illegal.

Time for my first post outside my introduction-post. Still pretty green on working with my smoker I got from Hanks True BBQ.
          Got asked by several families to cook ribs for them to serve at Christmas. Over 10 families wanted ribs so i figured why not baptism through fire.
          10kg of iberico spareribs and 10kg of St. Louis cut.
          Never cooked for people that aren’t guests and wanted to push my limits.
          All and all i was pretty happy with the results and after Christmas was done my mailbox had 16 new messages from people who ate the ribs and wanted to order from me.
          Walking on clouds here tbh.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! Those look great! And, I've got to admire your spunk, starting out with Iberico ribs!! Why waste your time with lesser foods. Congratulations.
            ps: Are you sure you're not hustling us?

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, he’s got a shirt & a pile of Wibs! He’s hosin us!

• bunky2021
            bunky2021 commented
            Editing a comment
            FANTASTIC!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here