Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was out of steaks the other day and went back to Costco for a refill. I bought a package of ribeyes, N.Y. Strips and filet mignons. Decided to do a NY Strip last night. After dry brining it for a few hours I did another reverse sear using the Vortex and a few hickory chunks for smoke. Can’t brag enough on the vortex and Costco steaks. I know there’s better cuts out there, but for an everyday non-online order, it’s hard to beat Costco IMO. Turned out really tender and perfectly rare/medium rare. After dinner I laid on the couch watching a little Captain Kangaroo in my Snoopy pajamas….man, it just don’t get no bettern’ that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BD2DC974-AB9A-4DE6-A3CC-9FFA2AA0D0F0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.51 MB ID:	1181220
    Click image for larger version  Name:	22D7268A-E353-42B9-A1B2-5E3B27D032A1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.04 MB ID:	1181221

Click image for larger version  Name:	7EBA3C3B-FC23-40B3-A5D2-83AE7C1E3B10.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.08 MB ID:	1181222
    Last edited by Panhead John; February 26, 2022, 10:09 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Nicely done….

That said, no pics of snoopy jammies, didn’t happen.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice work!

• bunky2021
      bunky2021 commented
      Editing a comment
      Talk about the perfect day...you just experienced it!

Click Akaushi strip steaks. Dry-brined and sous vide. Seared in a dry CI on the Weber gasser side burner. This was our first taste of the Click wagyu. Really enjoyed it and can't wait to try more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220227_021852335.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	1181259 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220227_023107097.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	1181260

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks gorgeous. I've got some chuck ribs and a chuck roast from them in the chestie, but haven't tried their meat yet. They keep getting high marks...

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      They have a good product, that’s for sure!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautifully cooked

Ann was craving a hamburger so Smash Burgers it is. I found recipe for oven steak fries on the America's Test Kitchen site that is brilliant and tasty. I've posted the recipe here.
    Far too cold to cook outside for this Canuck so I did the smash burgers on my Breville Smart Grill. Seasoned with some Cow Cover Hot.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Smashingly good Sir. Is the green stuff a jalapeno something?

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      holehogg, no, sweet green relish. I like to keep my smash burgers simple so just yellow mustard and sweet green relish for toppings.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I liked that fry recipe. I am going to try it!

Name:	20220226_100525.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1181284 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220226_183834.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1181285
    My first attempt at Tacos Al Pastor on the MAK. Tasted pretty good but I will make a few changes next time. I've never had the "real thing" but was inspired by earlier posts on The Pit.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mighty good photo. Keep it up and when you "get it right" let us know your secrets. I think it looks perfect.

• skipsdaughter
      skipsdaughter commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll come taste them on try #3. Keep perfecting until then.

My wife's smash burgers. 1/4 lb/115g patties (80/20 from CrowdCow) on CI skillet with loads of sweet onions mashed in from the top during the sear. She got it absolutely perfect! One of the best burgers I have ever eaten. The frozen fries are just store brand from our local Harris Teeter, but they were outstanding-- although I'm sure they don't hold a candle to the ones that pkadare just posted a couple posts above. Simple but effective.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220226_181456.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	1181296
    Last edited by DaveD; February 27, 2022, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	FA85757B-EAEF-4A67-987D-016484FA47B7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.50 MB ID:	1181313 Click image for larger version  Name:	B03D9373-7A5B-4381-95D5-C435B2CC3E30.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.22 MB ID:	1181312 Click image for larger version  Name:	A75282A4-DB9A-42FC-B118-1A24FB8C1A0A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.66 MB ID:	1181314 Chuckie, butternut squash, portabella mushrooms. (hotdogs for the catfish, beer for Mr. Bones)
      Last edited by HawkerXP; February 27, 2022, 08:23 AM. Reason: Mr. B

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the real question is why is there a chunk missing from that uncooked hot dog?

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        Used the first half for bait. No bites. Apparently, my local catfish prefer some smoke on their dogs. Andrrr

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Understood, and bummer about the fishing. I was worried you were one of the crazies that eats cold, uncooked dogs. 😀 The thought makes me throw up a little HawkerXP

SRF Wagyu brisket. Doesn't look like that grocery store stuff does it

Name:	IMG_1688.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1181394

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        that is going to be GOOD!!

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve had SRF wagyu brisket a few times…hand’s down the best and absolutely amazing!

Made some simple pork loin sandwiches with what was left of the oddly-shaped, 50% fat loin I cooked sous vide & smoked - details right here. Removed most of the fat, microwaved for a minute to warm it up, sliced and piled onto buns griddled on the CI skillet with some salted butter. Pork was still moist and tender, Rudy's Sause to top it off. Yum!

Name:	20220227_111301.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1181425

Name:	20220227_111307.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	1181428

Name:	20220227_111914.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	1181427

Name:	20220227_112009.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1181426

Comment

Last night pastrami sandwich. But this is to showcase my first homemade rye bread. Pastrami is from a local place that makes it in house.

Name:	6C33A4BA-42D8-41BB-A704-14BE9BB74398.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1181443

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like Rosen's from Chicago! Did you use KA recipe, and if so, which one?
          Thanks SheilaAnn

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice bread!

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Dr. Pepper I used RLB’s Jewish rye recipe from The Bread Bible. Pop over to the baking thread under recipes. I discuss it there.

Did my first brisket on my offset today. I’m thrilled with the results! Brisket is usually a struggle for me but this one came out great.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I love the dog in the background. LOL Just all growly like for soma dat Briz-nasty.

Congrats on the Briz, brother! Nothing like cooking with real wood.

• Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yeah!

• SammyJ
          SammyJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome!

Each country style rib was coated with mustard, then placed in a zip lock with Meatheads' Memphis Dust. Shake to coat them very well. Then loaded onto my rack.
        ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
        Then loaded onto the top rack on my Yoder YS640S. About 1/2 way I swapped left and right, my Yoder runs hotter near the exhaust!
        ​​​​
        Out of the Yoder for the 1st Time
        ​ ​​​​​​
        Sliced and chopped into chunks​​​​​
        ​
        Sauced.
        ​
        Wrapped and back in my Yoder for an hour or so.

Out of my Yoder for the second time

Name:	IMG_2318.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	1181532

Name:	IMG_2319.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	1181533 ​​​​​​​​

Comment

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice looking cook. Dang it, Panhead John plates do get around

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Richie, I give all Pit members a 1% discount on all orders of $500. or more…..hence the popularity.

• Bogy
          Bogy commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John I don't know how you stay in business practically giving stuff away like that!

Korean BBQ’d ribs (flanken) with pickled vegetables and a few pot stickers. Family liked the flavor of the ribs, but they were a bit chewy. I marinated in a store bought Korean rib sauce for about 5 hours. I think next time it’ll be over night. The other complaint was that they were fatty. Not much I can do about that. Any suggestions on how to make these better is welcome. I direct cooked the ribs over coals for the entire cook. I wonder too if cooking them indirectly and then searing would’ve made them more tender. Not too bad for the first try though. Work in progress. I love this style of BBQ \grilling.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Mark-B; February 27, 2022, 06:14 PM.

Comment

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          I always marinate galbi over night. Those look on the thick side for galbi also, which is probably why they were tough. If I'm not buying meat for galbi at H-Mart I have the butcher cut them about 1/4" thick. There's still some chew, but between the marinade and the thinness they're not tough.

• Mark-B
          Mark-B commented
          Editing a comment
          mnavarre Yep, got them at Sam’s and I thought they were a little thick too. I bought a package of 12, so I have 6 left for another time. My family is pretty picky about fatty meat, so after the next run it’ll probably be the last on the ribs. I may do the same marinade with a more lean cut of meat.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          I just did these a few weeks ago. I used a homemade marinade that included Asian pears. Asian pears really break down tougher cuts. I can always tell the difference. Weird, I know. As for the fat…you’re right, ya can’t help that.

Yours look great!

Cast Iron Pan Pizza. Recipe from ATK which I'll post later. This was amazing and easy with a no knead dough. The recipe called for a 12" pan but I only had 10" pans hence the mess. 😜🍕. Amazingly good. The bottom of the crust was so crispy and the frico from the cheese around the edge of the pan was incredible!

Name:	20220227_161717.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	1181587

Name:	20220227_165623.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1181584

Name:	20220227_161725.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1181586

Name:	20220227_165636.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	1181585

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice!

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          You said frico. I love that! And this pie. That’s two pies on the grill this week. Already planning for Friday night pizza night!
          Last edited by SheilaAnn; February 28, 2022, 12:18 AM.

Broccoli and feta cheese pizza with sausage crust. I upped the amount of broccoli because I never get enough veggies, but this was too much. Still delicious!
        Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          My daughter asked for a veggie pizza from the Kamado a few year back. Broccoli, spinach, kale. I obliged. The smoke the spinach and kale picked up was so overpowering it took me a year to put a pizza on the Q again.

• Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          @thob4 This was done in the oven, but I have thought of smoking them, so I’ll keep this in mind. Thanks.

Thankful for another day with the thin blue
        Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Wonderful!

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s as good a reason as any to be thankful. It sure is a pretty sight

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here