Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-tip with teriyaki broccoli and jasmine rice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220220_180629.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	1178246

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That tri tip looks perfect to me.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      As much as I love a good tri-tip, they can be difficult to get right given their odd shape. You have to concentrate on the fat part which sacrifices the skinny one. As stated however, that looks pretty darn good to me regardless.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman skipping the sear seemed to give me a more even level of doneness since the thin side didn't get too hot.

In celebration of me finally being released from parole, I decided to do a 2’ thick cut pork chop and a baked potato all the way. I invited my PO over tonight to celebrate, but he declined, thinking it might look bad. Anyway, I reverse seared it with my vortex and some mesquite chunks, came out pretty dang good. Mesquite and pork chops are made for each other..IMO. Used my favorite rub, Big Moes for pork.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9DF84C8F-AB2A-466C-B5DE-1781863072CA.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.84 MB ID:	1178248

Click image for larger version  Name:	2532DF13-21CA-4E4F-A07E-83F8803C3251.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	1178249

Click image for larger version  Name:	C3517A69-A3EE-41AC-A42E-0137D64296BD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.05 MB ID:	1178250
    NOTE GRATUITOUS AND SHAMELESS DISPLAY OF NEW WUSTOF KNIVES

Click image for larger version  Name:	3BF422B4-E9A1-4A3B-B78D-0E20A2E794E4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	1178251

Click image for larger version  Name:	0B683AA0-4C62-410A-A858-DAAF0A9CAD81.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.86 MB ID:	1178252
    Last edited by Panhead John; February 21, 2022, 03:12 AM.

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice cook! Nice knife...

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      All right! Now stay out of trouble! 😌

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a serious chop.

Not my best pic. Nor my best effort, as I thought I could outsmart how the emulsification process worked….so the sauce broke and I had to add a cornstarch slurry. But…the flavor of this beef stroganoff is out of this world good! Kenji’s recipe on Serious Eats - I didn’t follow completely as I used baby portobellos and diced yellow and sweet onion rather than pearls.

The flank steak was great as well in this. Just wish I could find a good gluten free sub for egg noodles. My son, he got spaetzle egg noodles and it look outstanding!

Either way, love the flavor of this!

Name:	BD444CA1-3159-42E3-81E5-83946582C905.jpeg
Views:	285
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	1178263

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Man that looks do good!

• tamidw
      tamidw commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll have to check out the recipe. I am always trying to find a really good stroganoff recipe for my husband. Although I don't like mushrooms, I will make food with them because he does and pick them off my plate.🤣 We have a local restaurant that has wonderful stroganoff that he will get now, I wish I could get their sauce recipe.

• Bogy
      Bogy commented
      Editing a comment
      I made spaghetti last week when the grandkids were here. They commented that the noodles didn't taste right. "Well, that's because your mom is gluten intolerant, and these noodles were made from wheat instead of being made from rice." "Oooooh."

Cioppino.

Name:	PXL_20220221_022108837.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	1178279

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotta do it, on my long list far too long !!

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Man that looks good!

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Cioppino! Oh Yeah!!

Nothing special about this butt but it’s SWMBO favorite and it has been entirely waaaay too long since I’ve made one, which she reminded me of. Like I said nothing special but I do love how these look when left naked even if they look kind of gnarly like this one, and I could shave that bark off and eat it by itself.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	6E08F716-1595-48BD-B7E1-2C5F7C6D7E60.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	725.0 KB ID:	1178303
    Last edited by Andrrr; February 20, 2022, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great!

One pan braised chicken with cabbage and potatoes from the latest Kenji Lopez-Alt video.

Delicious and if you want you can do this whole dish for under $10. It uses chicken thighs and legs which can be had for under $2 per pound, cabbage which is $2 or $3, an onion, some potatoes, some bacon, and stock. Takes about 1:15 from start to finish. Can't wait to try this one again!

The chicken skin stays nice and crispy and the meat is moist and tender. And the vegetables are full of flavor.

Name:	20220220_174156.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1178324

Comment

I did kalbi tonight because I found flanken. Grilled hot and fast. I had extra Asian pears from CSA a while back. Grated them all and portioned out a couple ounces each. Perfect. Asian pears are so good for marinades! Steam rice and over steamed snap peas. Not shown: togarashi on the rice cuz I like it. First picture is 6 huge slices. Leftovers for sure.

Click image for larger version  Name:	737F6153-D483-41C3-B510-56C220FFA321.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	82.4 KB ID:	1178327
    Click image for larger version  Name:	EC3085F4-19E7-4998-A31F-359818771D94.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	95.0 KB ID:	1178328

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Kalbi and bulgogi have been shoved to the back of my list but may just have moved up to the front. We done, looks delish !!!

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful. One of my favorites.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I almost bought some flanken cut ribs this week. Looks like I should have! I love togarashi and I have an Asian pear tree in my yard. It's the best pear IMO.

Couldn't decide wether I wanted to make carnitas or chili verde. So I made both.

Name:	IMG_6015.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	1178334

Name:	IMG_6016.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	433.3 KB
ID:	1178332

Name:	IMG_6018.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	1178331

Name:	IMG_6019.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	421.3 KB
ID:	1178333

Barely even touched the carnitas. I think I'll live.

Comment

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      What a problem to have!

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice meals! But, flip flops in winter! smokin fool , did you see that!

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes and you got weird mutant toes.

Finally got these ribs closer to where I want them. 5 hrs 225-250 because I am not badass enough to hold it at 1 temperature..yet. No wrap. I Have been striking out a lot recently so pretty satisfied with this cook. Only started using the stick burner a few years ago and can only take it out so often so I am still learning how to manage the time and temp. While I thought I had a really nice rack of ribs because they seemed like the largest St. louis cut I've ever bought, once I cut into them I noticed there was a bone running across the ribs (see in the picture). Is that bone always there and I am just forgetting? Maybe these were trimmed differently? I'll take any pointers on this. Recently I have been noticing the meat on my ribs have been shrinking a lot, exposing the bone too much on both sides. I know I could be over cooking them but I'm just trying to find some consistency in what I buying as well because they cooked much better here, just more difficult to slice.

Attached Files

Comment

• FrankC
      FrankC commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers lol I have an eat while I cook problem too

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking ribs! Don't get caught up try to hold a dead steady temp. +/- 15° is plenty close enough.

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      You squared up those ribs really well!

In keeping with the theme of trying to combine smoking with conventional cooking techniques, I did some Meatball Stroganoff over the weekend. Started with the balls, three meat variety traditional Italian style, smoked with mesquite for an hour then finished off in my oven. Made about 30 in this batch, reserved a few for last night's dinner.

Name:	stroganoff 04.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1178440

Later on for dinner then, I made a mushroom stroganoff gravy. For presentation I laid down a bed of butter noodles, arranged some balls on top then covered the whole thing with the gravy. Meatballs last in my house all of about 30 seconds, this platter was consumed in 20 !!!

Name:	stroganoff 01.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	1178442 Click image for larger version

Name:	stroganoff 02.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	1178441 Click image for larger version

Name:	stroganoff 03.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	1178443

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Killer!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Look great! I use alton browns baked meatball recipe, but leave off the bread crumb coating, use wild pork instead of regular, venison instead of lamb, and then a high fat content ground beef since the wild game is so lean. Smoke them then freeze them. When time to eat, I heat them in whatever sauce I am making. Those look excellent.

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      You're killing me! 😜

Just a couple of yard birds in the outdoor oven. I love cooking on this thing with oak and cherry.

We were working on getting syrup camp all set up, so these were mighty tasty at the end of the day.

Name:	IMG_5055.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	1178608 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5065.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	1178609
    ​​​​​​​

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Makes my italia oven look like an ezbake

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      WOW! All I can say.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You could build one of these for your place. In fact, I feel like you need one. texastweeter

I've been playing around with an ultra-quick "stir-fry" for lunch. From start-to-finish it is less than ten minutes, if that.

First, I take some dried Asian peppers (5-6, I like it hot), deseed them, put them in a bowl and pour boiling water over them. (If you don't have a kettle, you need to get one!) While those soften, I make my stir-fry sauce: about 1/4 cup chicken stock/broth, 1 tbl lite soy sauce, 1 tbl oyster sauce, 1 tbl ginger-garlic paste, and 1 tbl cornstarch. Mix.

In a small sauce pan, get some more water boiling (for the egg noodles) and heat another pan on medium. Thrown in a dollop of ghee. When that gets hot, toss in as many sliced mushrooms (I am using baby bellas) as desired and stir. Meanwhile, in a microwave steamer, steam as much broccoli florets as desired. (About 90 seconds works for me.)

By now, the peppers have softened. Take them out with a fork and mix them into the sitr-fry sauce.

The water in the saucepan should be boiling by now, so dump in the egg noodles. They cook in two minutes.

The mushrooms should be done. So dump in the steamed broccoli, using tongs lift out and dump in the noodles, wait just a few seconds for some latent water to evaporate, then dump in the stir-fry sauce. Once it gets close to boiling it will instantly thicken. Stir to coat, and then dump into a bowl. Yum and fast!

Name:	IMG-5392.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1178611

Comment

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm digging the Inspector Gadget ballet that comes to mind to perfect this process! Well done - looks great, and fast.

Costco baby back ribs hanging in at $5 / lb, but whole pork loin is $2 / lb. ??? Love those ribs, but ...

Went a little fancier with this chunk. Stuffed with an apple / onion / pecan mix.

Name:	stuffedloin.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	1178865

The filling for this wasn't really a recipe, but make something up with what was available. I'll give best guess at what was in there.

Medium yellow onion, 1/4" chop
    2 - 3 cups of our chopped apple empanada mix (apple with some sugar and a good bit of cinnamon)
    ~1 cup coarse chopped pecans
    ~1 cup POM pomegranate juice
    1 - 2 tsp lemon juice

Salt to taste, maybe a 1/2 tsp kosher flake
    1/2 tsp Aleppo pepper flakes
    1/2 tsp rubbed sage

Sautéed the onion with a bit of salt and olive oil until softened and starting to get some brown bits.
    Throw in the apple mix and some pom juice, lemon juice, sage, pepper flakes. Cook down until the apples soften up some and the pom juice is boiled away. Add pom juice as needed to keep from getting too dry. Adjust seasoning to taste. Should be a fairly thick and chunky mixture when done.

Spread on the flattened pork loin and add a layer of chopped pecans before roll up and tie.

I cooked this at 240, pulled at internal temp of 138, then a little extra charcoal sear to finish,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bruce54; February 21, 2022, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful

• Mike-Sid
      Mike-Sid commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks amazing. 👍🏻👍🏻

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      could be amazingporkloin.com 😋

Thanks for sharing the details!

Name:	20220221_144553.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	1178766
    Smoked shrimp and chicken thighs in the pellet grill. Half of the shrimp have a Greek rub from a Mediterranean market on them and the second half are rubbed with a hickory smoke blend from Pit Boss.

Name:	20220221_153221.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	362.5 KB
ID:	1178767 Half of the chicken is rubbed with Malcolm Reed's the BBQ rub and glazed with a buffalo sauce. The other half of the chicken have the Greek rub on them without a sauce .

Name:	20220221_163756.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	1178768

Name:	20220221_163930.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	1178769

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      You can really see what paprika does in BBQ with those comparisons. American paprika doesn't really lend much flavor (to me), but wow does it put on some color!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes please 👍👍

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Wonderful!!

Took a vacation day today and decided to cook. Homemade meatballs and pasta sauce. I bought more meat than I needed so I decided to smoke some of the meatballs on the pellet grill for fun and did the other ones our traditional way. Have say that the smoked ones were hands down better. The meatballs were a little bland but the smoke definitely picked them up.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      I really like what my pellet grill does on ground beef. For whatever reason, ground beef on my kettle or PBC always tastes just slightly oversmoked to me.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here