Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been dreaming of a smoked recipe incorporating Asian flavors. This is phase 1, it took to long so phase 2 will be tomorrow.

I made a paste of Adobo, Fennel, Garlic, Ginger, Soy Sauce, Tumeric, Pepper Flake, and Nandos peri peri hot sauce. Rubbed and lest rest 24 hours.

Smoked for 22 hours!

It's potent bark, but once shredded it met my needs. Wife can still use some Eastern NC sauce tonight, and its a perfect base for my experiment tomorrow.

Only hint for tomorrow is I'm going to attempt to meet last years New Years resolution.

Also, way to go for my MAK... 22 hour cook, still have about 2lbs of pellets in the hopper. It was a blend of PitBoss and Lumberjack fruitwoods, and super windy for the last 24 hours. I did have a fire issue about 12 hours into the cook due to the ash, but I fixed it quick and kept going.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220220_181118.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.36 MB ID:	1179102
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220222_081612.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	1179106
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220222_183148.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.32 MB ID:	1179103
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20220222_181854.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.87 MB ID:	1179107
    Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; February 22, 2022, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm happy with this as pulled pork, but one thing I should have done with the paste crust is pull it all off separate from the pork and chop it up. A larger piece will DESTROY anyone who doesn't like spice. Blended in it's perfect flavor. I might do a more traditional rub as a paste in the future, it worked really well and didn't block smoke penetration or actual meat bark formation too much.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      What an outstanding paste & cook! 👍

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      You might want to give Steve Raichlen's Korean Pulled Pork recipe a try some day. It's delicious.
      Smoked pork shoulder with the sweet, spicy, and fiery flavors of Korean barbecue. Sweet, salty, spicy, fiery, with those Asian umami flavors.

Your paste concoction sounds pretty tasty too, and the PP looks great.

Kathryn

This was so good, I wish I had had time to take better pictures, but it goes together fast! I give you shrimp tacos!

Wild Texas Gulf Coast Shrimp, seasoned in fajita seasoning, cooked in cast iron. Placed in corn tortillas and topped with shredded cabbage, avocado, and pico....and doused with a little fresh lime juice.

This is so fresh: the sweetness of the shrimp, the spice of the seasoning, the crunch of the cabbage, the creaminess of the avocado, and the citrus of the lime! Yum!

Here is everything all plated up. (I need to figure out the white balance on my iPhone. The light directly above is a daylight bulb and those tomatoes should be vibrant red.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5394.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1179157

As you can't see the shrimp very well with everything piled atop it, here is a close up of the shrimp on their way to the fourth taco. (It's healthy! Four tacos is just fine!)

Name:	IMG-5395.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1179158

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I love tacos!

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Love shrimp………..tacos!

Thai curry cod, rice with shichimi togarashi thanks to SheilaAnn, and Tom Kha Gai.

Name:	20220222_175747~2.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	1179632

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220223_190211.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	1179630

Last edited by Attjack; February 23, 2022, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack and SheilaAnn , I'd love to hear your comments on this: I stopped buying the Ajishima furikake blend I'd been using because I noticed they began printing a warning about lead in the contents, due, I'm presuming, from the seaweed? That same brand used to be made in Japan and now it's made in China. I wondered if the sourcing of the seaweed had something to do with the warning label?

Kathryn

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc who knew? That is the brand that I have right now. And I am embarrassed to say, I never noticed the warning nor the "refrigerate after opening" neither. That said, glazed right over the expiry date, too. I trashed it. I will have to look closer when I go get more.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc SheilaAnn these ones (I added a picture to my post) don't say they contain lead or need to be refrigerated.

Veggie stir fry tonight. Onion, mushrooms peppers, broccoli, and baby bok choy. I have finally made something that my son turned his nose up at….asked where the meat was, ha! He had leftover stroganoff instead.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D984F474-3F91-4C76-86E8-9F1F9791BEC1.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	1179184
    Last edited by barelfly; February 22, 2022, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack - thank you - and good catch - this was baby bok choy! Really liked this compared to bok choy! Much more tender!

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      They're both delicious so I'll take either one.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Terrific lookin mix!

Playing catch-up... President's Day BLATCh sandwiches from some bacon I smoked up that morning:

Name:	20220221_114111.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1179287

And since yesterday was Twosday, 2/22/22, hell yes I made tacos. Two of 'em. CrowdCow 80/20 ground beef simmered in the sauce I've eyeballed my whole life: Salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, chile powder, taco sauce, dash of HFCS-free ketchup, and some Santa Fe Ole red chile sauce. Lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, lite sour cream. Cosmically delicious.

Name:	20220222_181327.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	1179286

Comment

This morning I single handedly made a bowl of Cheerios. To further complicate this mind blowing feat, I added banana slices.

Name:	24BBEA80-430F-430B-A751-65C1D8A54650.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	1179339

THE BANANA WAS NO MATCH FOR THE WUSTOF

Name:	D9C80585-2795-46AC-84E0-C7FCC81AD7C5.jpeg
Views:	274
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	1179340

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, the slices are nice, but that's the shittiest smoke ring I've ever seen.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that's what I call a knife ....

• Mark V
        Mark V commented
        Editing a comment
        I am impressed that you knew to cut against the grain to get more tender slices! You had to have learned that here. Now, I have printed out your gumbo recipe expecting it to be as wise and good.

Instead of tacos last night, the kid requested shepherds pie for dinner. 🤷‍♀️ So I went along with it except I still had to make a quick margarita for me.

Click image for larger version  Name:	16D23E8A-99D1-4B46-97D0-A0ED71094F20.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.62 MB ID:	1179389
      Attached Files
      Last edited by tamidw; February 23, 2022, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        sticks to your bones!

Finally got baking off my to do list... Though maybe I need to learn Vietnamese.

I was super worried my dough didn't look like the scratch made videos I watched for Bao. But I wanted to try this pre-mix stuff.

Stuffed these with pulled pork from yesterday, and soy sauce, with finely chopped pickled ginger.

I followed the instructions as best I could, baked at 350 for 24 minutes with an egg wash.

They aren't dry by any means, the light fluffy and sweet of the bao complements to salty pork. If I make them again I will either reduce some chicken stock to mix in with the meat or make a sauce for the side.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220222_134315.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.07 MB ID:	1179435
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20220223_143107.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	1179437
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20220223_153943.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	1179434

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220223_162019.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.45 MB ID:	1179436

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220223_164236.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.36 MB ID:	1179439 Click image for larger version  Name:	20220223_164550.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.74 MB ID:	1179440
      Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; February 23, 2022, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        I *think* the instructions are telling you to steam the bao for 10 minutes and then get rid of the water and cover and cook for another 10 minutes. That seems more in line with a bao bun texture than straight up baking them.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        mnavarre I had intended to bake them on my smoker regardless. It was the oil that threw me off and the overall look of the dough when I got to the resting period. But then I found a Vietnamese Home Shopping Network type video, it wasn't translated but I watched it and their dough looked like mine. I'm really happy with the baked dough result, just need to work on my wrapping skills.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow next level stuff right there !!

Name:	IMG_2292.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	1179461

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Yum. Salt & Umami.

• Caffeine88
        Caffeine88 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, please!

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        Love me some salty eyebrows!

My typical meal. 6 days out of 7 I end up eating just one meal just by happenstance.

Pork steak from Sam's Club.
      ​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220221_020833931~2.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	1179643

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed with the melting butter comment, that puts that photo over the top. I need to take a course in how to melt butter for better pictures

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        I say it every time I see those eggs….. look at those eggs! 😋

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr. Pepper this was dry brined overnight, then went into 145 degrees hot tub time machine for 12 hours. Finished in a cast iron Skillet.
        Seasoned simply with the salt and a touch of chipotle powder.

Lots of orange here….. broiled salmon, roasted sweet potatoes, sautéed spinach.

Name:	469BA557-C909-4480-BEE2-6B5E7A0FD791.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1179815

Comment

I hoped to sear some scallops for my wife on her birthday. All I could find were wet scallops- though I could have driven another 40 minutes to get the better 'dry' kind. Note to self; Told you "never to buy wet scallops again." Self to note; You did tell me "never to buy wet scallops again."
        Anyhow, one website said to soak the wet scallops in water with lemon and salt. I did that. Then I dried them in paper towels and let them dry in the fridge for almost seven hours. Excited, I heated some butter and oil in a pan. As soon as the scallops hit the heat, spit, spattle and fssss, all their water released. No sear! No problem, I dropped a 1/3 cup of bourbon in the pan and lit a match. Then finished the sauce with some shallots, fresh squeezed OJ, and honey and served everything over cheesy grits.

Name:	IMG_8563.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1179847

Comment

• Caffeine88
          Caffeine88 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice save... 👍🏻

Cheese Burger tonight!!!!

Name:	IMG_2298.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	1179857

Comment

This is nothing to do with bbq (other than heat) but I thought I’d show you what’s on our Southern Hemisphere summer menu
          Attached Files

Comment

Pizza night

Click image for larger version  Name:	6E6A6025-2919-453D-B2AD-4719C6DAD522.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	325.4 KB ID:	1179901
          Click image for larger version  Name:	8EF9848C-5D45-43FF-8624-B6B21BB10B3C.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	598.8 KB ID:	1179902
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; February 24, 2022, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• Caffeine88
            Caffeine88 commented
            Editing a comment
            Impressive. Again😁

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            Kneads more crust! Actually, looks beautiful. I can't understand people who like pizza with a crust like the cardboard their frozen pizza comes on.

• WVsmoke
            WVsmoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Please let me know next time a house is for sale on your street.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here