Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whelp, we made pork pastrami sandwiches last night and man were these good. I smoked the home cured pork shoulder on my BGE then let it sit in the fridge, wrapped for a few days until Sauna night. Last night I put the meat in my No.10 Lodge Dutch oven and added some coals by the fire to let it heat up and cook down. I added some water, just to keep it from burning in the dutch. Honestly, pulled pork pastrami might be my new favorite thing. You gals/guys gotta try it sometime. It is well worth the wait in the cure! the pictures do not do it justice, but you can take my word for it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5033.jpeg Views:	33 Size:	4.01 MB ID:	1175972
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5036.jpeg Views:	31 Size:	2.67 MB ID:	1175973

Round up:
    SheilaAnn I use Meathead's corned beef recipe. (Only I use pork shoulder) Make sure to make your own picking spices, I think it makes a big difference. Do the calculations with the curing calculator, then let it cure for the time it lists for you. Once you have the meat cured, desalinate for a day. Then take the meat out, add Meathead's Pastrami rub, very liberally to the surface of the meat. I let it sit for 2-3 days with the rub on. Then smoke it until it hit 200 F, internal temp.

Once the smoking is done, wrap the meat in foil and cool it. You can slice it then, pull it or put it into a dutch oven to cook it down further. I use a dutch oven because we cook the meal outside when it is time to serve it. I add about 10-12 ounces of water to the dutch and then I let it cook down for a couple of hours. At this point I am simply reheating the meat. Although I feel like cooking it down this way amplifies the flavors, but that might just be in my head. Anyway.......Toast yourRye bread, add kraut, 1000 island and some Dijon and you are good to go.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh you know it! Love that thing, Ernest

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      Commenting to find my way back to this post more easily. One more day in the curing solution

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! You will love it. Let me know what you think. jhapka

Click image for larger version

Name:	1FF3CF57-3283-4060-AAE8-5BB5A4E236B2.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1175982 Tacos for lunch!

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      My tortilla game has gotten so much better since I got the griddle.

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes indeed... looks outstanding!

Meatball subs from Superbowl Sunday.

I did the meatballs on the Weber with SNS, and some cherry for smoke. Holy cow. Why have I never tried this before?? (Because I didn't have a SnS before). I kept them on the cold side for probably 20 min, and then seared for a minute or so over the screaming hot side to get some crust. Might be best meatballs ever, and pretty darn easy.

Name:	20220213_181837.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1175986 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220213_170828.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	1175988 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220213_165209.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	271.4 KB
ID:	1175989 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220213_171727.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	1175987

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Brilliant

• BradNorthGA
      BradNorthGA commented
      Editing a comment
      I am drooling...

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m just going to show up someday!

Name:	2BAA8AFA-B9F1-4441-8628-F7EF9DFAD29B.jpeg
Views:	297
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	1176150 Click image for larger version

Name:	CBA6EF93-8BF9-4484-9E9B-C8FA34A9D06A.jpeg
Views:	274
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	1176152 The temps warmed up to 50 degrees today and are forecast to drop down to around 25 tomorrow so I tossed some wings on the Recteq to take advantage.

I used a rub blend from a recipe on the Recteq site. 50/50 Asian Persuasion and Dirty Girl rub’s which I have in my cabinet. They call it Dirty Persuasion wings. Cooked at 180 (extreme smoke) for a hour then bumped the cooker to 350 until done. About 45 min more.

The wings were perfect in terms of doneness and texture. Moist, juicy, and bite Click image for larger version

Name:	C7D8097B-89BD-4CCE-9602-DF257E96A1F7.jpeg
Views:	262
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1176151 through skin. But the rub was way too salty. I might have just used too much of it. Otherwise the flavor was great.

Comment

Another leftover concoction. Found some top round in freezer and cut it up. Did some brown rice, Ro.Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilis, salsa and sprinkled some UC Biber from F.I. Simmered in C.I. pan covered. Nice results IMO.

Name:	20220216_190819.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	1176198 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220216_191906.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1176199

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        I like those Ro-Tel tomatoes & chiles. Used it in the drip-pan black beans I made last week, delish!

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        I use them in a lot recipes. Was shopping today and saw Fire Roasted. Have no idea what that means versus their Original which my wife like as the Mild. Bought all of them as we're were low on inventory.

Went with some BBQ Shrimp tonight, or a spin off of what tamidw posted yesterday. I really enjoyed this, next time I’ll try to stay a bit truer to the recipe she posted. I only used 2TBS of butter… but thanks again for posting the shrimp recipe!

Name:	559E873F-297A-42A2-BA45-099668AAA142.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	1176206

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m thinking similar with a different seasoning blend. Looks Devine !!!!

• Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes yes yes...

• RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        Shrimp is so good. Nice cook.

Steak Diane using a 14oz. ribeye from Click Akaushi served with wood ear mushroom risotto and a slice of homemade sourdough bread. Served with a bottle of wine I made form a WinExpert wine kit: Limited Edition 2019 Cape Blend, a nice red using several South African grape varietals. For size reference that is a 12" skillet.

Name:	click_ribeye1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	1176210

Name:	click_ribeye2.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1176211

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you are mistaking me for Panhead John

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, I was only in there that one time!

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks real good and rounded with a touch of South Africa.

I give you Tacos con Camarones a la Diabla. This is shrimp seared then simmered in a sauce made of crushed tomatoes, onion, serranos, garlic, and rehydrated chiles de arbol and pasilla and ancho chiles. (I did Chili Pepper Madness' recipe: https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/r...s-a-la-diabla/)

This was good. I think I used a bit too much tomato in the sauce as I ended up with a lot of sauce and the sauce was noticeable acidic. (I added some sugar at the end which helped.) Heat level was good. I would have preferred the sauce to be a little bit more earthy, like a Chili Colorado. The sauce did overpower the shrimp a little bit.

What might have worked better is pan-cooking the shrimp like normal and then brushing the sauce on.

Here's the shrimp getting a quick sear in a 300 F skillet. (As I knew I would be simmering the sauce for awhile, I elected to not use cast iron due to the tomato content.)

Name:	IMG-5367.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1176229

The shrimp are removed and then the sauce is simmered. I did fifteen minutes. Wish i had done a bit longer to reduce it down a bit more. Then the shrimp are added back in for 2-3 minutes to finish cooking through.

Name:	IMG-5368.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	1176230

Shrimp in tacos!

Name:	IMG-5370.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1176228

Extra sliced serranos on top really makes this dish pop!

Name:	IMG-5371.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1176231

Comment

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you use canned tomatoes? That might be why it was acidic, using fresh paste tomatoes like Romas might be better. Another thing, your sauce looks like it's breaking a bit in the second pic of the tacos. After you cook the shrimp put a tablespoon or two of oil into the pan over high heat, let that heat up, and then pour the sauce in and let it fry for a couple of minutes. That will help the sauce emulsify and deepen the flavor.

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        I used "generic" whole fresh tomatoes that were pulverized (along with everything else) in a food processor. And you're right, any emulsion that had any chance of forming broke apart. It was more a salsa than a sauce. (I like your approach better as it was what I was really hoping for.)

Salmon with teriyaki sauce, ginger-miso asparagus, rice, and cilantro-serrano-ginger pear salad.

Name:	20220216_181152.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	1176233

Comment

Yesterday I dry brined and reverse seared two nice big T-bone steaks (choice) that I found vacuum sealed during a freezer dive. Some of the best steak I've had in a long time, and so big we could only eat 1/2 yesterday, and half tonight. I didn't get any plated pictures, as these went right onto the plate and we immediately sat down to eat...

Ran them indirect on the SNS Kamado until they hit about 115F, then opened the vents and the top of the grill and got the coals in the SNS up to afterburner jet sear mode. So much so I ended up using the elevated grate for all my searing, rather than spinning the grate around and searing right over the coals.

Dry brined steaks looking nice and red out of the fridge...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7834.JPEG Views:	3 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	1176256

Seasoned generously with my very last bottle of our favorite steak seasoning... Hank's Signature Steak... SWMBO loves this stuff, and I'm gonna have to find a substitute soon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7837.JPEG Views:	3 Size:	781.3 KB ID:	1176257

Just starting the sear...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7841.JPEG Views:	3 Size:	1.02 MB ID:	1176255

And ready to be plated! One of the left cooked to 145F for SWMBO, and the one on the right cooked to 135F for your's truly...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7845.JPEG Views:	3 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	1176254
        Last edited by jfmorris; February 16, 2022, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks beautiful. I can't remember the last time I had a T-bone, they never seem to be any damn good, or at least didn't decades ago the last time I tried one...

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Great looking steaks! T-bone is the king steak.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, these T-bones were more of a Porterhouse, with more tenderloin on that side of the bone than I usually see. Too bad I didn't fill the freezer with more of them. As I recall, I saw 4 of these on sale in the store back in the fall, and cooked two and froze two.

Sometimes it ain't about the fancy photography from my studio camera, or an impressive fancy written up recipe or even hours in the kitchen or at the outdoor grill that makes for a really good meal. Sometimes you just throw on a pork steak and some sausage, whip up some mushroom risotto and grill a few asparagus, throw it on a plate and get fed. I even splurged and threw some of @Meathead's new sauce on top of the pork. Goes really well !! Oh yea had some wine too

burp....

Name:	pork 01.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	1176454

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          That smoke ring on that pork steak makes it almost look like brisket in this lighting! Pork steak and sausage.....I like that idea.

I have been really slammed with work lately, so much so I haven't even really been online much, and my wife has been equally busy. Nevertheless I did find time for two cooks over the past week.

Over the weekend my wife and I visited my parents and we made some cast iron pizzas on their big green egg. Then for Valentine's Day I thawed out two New York strips that I got with my Porter Road order not long ago, and I reverse seared those then topped them with caramelized onions and mushrooms. Technically it was the 15th because both my wife and I had to work late on Valentine's Day, but it was worth the wait because they were delicious

At any rate, I'm finally caught up with all my work so I decided to log in and post the photos of those two cooks
        Attached Files

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks fab. Thanks for posting.

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Fantastic!!

Got myself a real nice wagyu arañita. Also known as spider steak (due to the spider web like fat striations on the back), and kidney steak (due to the shape). Small steak, big flavor. Cooked it hot n fast until internal temp was 50 deg C. Let it rest for 5 minutes, then sliced and ate. Yum!!

Name:	FA309188-2688-4CE2-AD3B-16F9C3D76662.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	1176505

Name:	AFD94356-BD35-4C0C-A092-7A04AB6519A3.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	1176504

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I buy Black Stallion buy the 6 pack at my local liquor store. Really good wine for the price. That whatever it is steak (looks like flank) is primo !!! 👍🍷

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I decided to try a little more expensive wines, so shelled out on this one. A good Cabernet is never wrong 😄

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          I looked up this cut (not knowing the term you used Henrik )
          I’ve had the pleasure of eating this once. Truly sublime!

Last week I was writing about original Texas chili, the proverbial Bowl of Red, and I hadn’t made it in a long, long time. So I made some.

This is as simple as it gets, folks. Cubed chuck steak, dried anchos and guajillos, garlic, cumin, Mexican oregano. Salt. Water. Nothing else going on except extreme flavor.

Name:	9123A628-3162-426E-B734-827FC3A185D0.jpeg
Views:	251
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	1176547

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          PBCDad I had dried anchos and guajillos. You reconstitute them. The anchos you can just whip up in a blender or food processor, but the guajillos have a thick skin that easily peels off. I’ll link the recipe I used, it’s the same as I’ve been using for almost 50 years but it’s easier to link than it is to type:

This authentic Texas chili features tender beef and a homemade chili sauce using dried chile peppers. This recipe is for you if you want an authentic Texas bowl of red!

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          (Cont’d) If you sub chili powder for the dried peppers, remember it’s a spice blend that includes cumin, garlic, and oregano. Otherwise the author is pretty much spot on. I often add an onion and a handful of jalapeños, I didn’t this time.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Simple and delicious. Well done good sir !!!

Roast Chicken, carrots and potatoes. Topped with fava beans sautéed with bacon.

Name:	22885801-8FEC-4942-9ED4-B7A5CCB22895.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1176565

Name:	8E4DA6E5-518C-4C99-8618-2E6A5CDA1948.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1176566

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Throw in a little chianti and you have me Clarice

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          and don't forget the liver.

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          slurpslurpslurpslurp

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here