Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I'm doing an experiment in drip pan beans while smoking a couple racks of spares, and needed some smoked bacon to go in there. Used half the package for that and the other for these here BLATCh (BLT + avo + cheese) sandwiches. Yummy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220211_113209.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1173547

Comment

I smoked a 12.4 pound Boston butt from Wednesday 11pm until Thursday 4pm. Long slow cook at 225F, and the butt started at a very cold 25F internal temperature (only out of the freezer for a day before the cook). Very good, but no pictures of the pulled pork, as I was too busy pulling it and smacking the hands of everyone that was gobbling it up as I shredded it...

Also served with a choice of Christmas Lima's and Pinto's from Rancho Gordo, and slaw.

Prepped with a layer of kosher salt topped with MMD:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7790.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.26 MB ID:	1173567

Right before pulling off the SNSK - bone was literally falling out...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7803.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.65 MB ID:	1173566
      Last edited by jfmorris; February 11, 2022, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris, it's the Blaz'n Grid Iron. I've never been unable to get the OG to work no matter how cold, but the PID controller in the Blaz'n shuts down if it doesn't get up to 160 in 20 minutes. The Roanoke controller is supposed to automatically adjust for cold temps, but when it's really cold and windy it doesn't seem to adjust enough. Once it actually gets all that steel up to temp it's fine, but until it does it can't keep up. After an hour I finally gave up today.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Bogy it's interesting that the much more expensive pellet smoker has more trouble handling the wind and the cold... too bad you don't have a Grilla at each place! Nothing wrong with the oven though in the dead of winter I suppose. I've certainly been cooking outside less.

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris, as far as which smoker was the most expensive, remember that my OG was made in Holland, MI, not in China. And when it was new it cost about $1600. I bought it from a former dealer for $500. The OG's old style analogue controller easily allows me to adjust the flow rate of the pellets. The Blaz'n, a larger & heavier smoker, has a PID controller that is supposed to do that adjusting for me. And it does it fine when it's 80 degrees out. Not as well below freezing and with 40 mile winds.

Pulled pork tonight. If it looks chopped, it was. We all get that one but that does not tender up. Not going to sell it, but sure not going to toss it.

Name:	IMG_2204.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	1173628

Comment

Well, I'll add one more. I dusted off the Smokey Joe. Did a Porter House. Brined a couple of hours and course pepper. I like to keep it simple with something like a P.H. Turned out delicious. Meat quality MEH. A bit fatty but that's the chance you take at a grocery store, consistency. Last one I did, same store same purchase no issues.
        ​ ​ ​
        ​​​​​​​

Comment

Couple racks of heritage pork WIBS with an experiment in drip-pan beans (that remains ongoing). Beans taste fantastic but need more cookin' so they're back on the stove as I type. Smoked at 250F/121C, plus or minus, took about 5 hours for the wibs to be done. Absolutely delicious, tug-off-the-bone, explosively juicy. Victory is declared.

Hat tip to ecowper Eric for his drunken beans recipe, on which my approach is heavily modeled.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220211_105637.jpg Views:	0 Size:	6.49 MB ID:	1173698
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20220211_125903.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.97 MB ID:	1173699
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20220211_161156.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.91 MB ID:	1173702
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20220211_183315.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.23 MB ID:	1173703

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220211_184131.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.58 MB ID:	1173701
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20220211_184552.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.47 MB ID:	1173700
          Last edited by DaveD; February 11, 2022, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• Jim White
            Jim White commented
            Editing a comment
            Those look incwediible.

And I'm also a huge fan of Eric's recipe.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice wibs man!

It has been a while since I last made pastrami. Shopping in Costco a few weeks ago, I walked by a corned top round (I think - I can’t remember the exact cut) and thought, the easy way to get some pastrami in meh belly! So, desalinated for about 24 hours, rubbed with Meathead "Amazing Pastrami Dust"and into the smoker at 275* for about 10 hours. Pulled it at 193-195 and rested for about an hour.

This was perfect! I was worried it may be dry, but it turned out amazing. Sliced it up and made pastrami and Swiss sandwiches on the CI, which I failed to get a pic of but they were great!

Click image for larger version  Name:	C586A228-D581-41E8-BEC5-2A383925D5D9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.14 MB ID:	1173740

Click image for larger version  Name:	C7B30888-C062-47E9-BC98-B75E2761DC1B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.85 MB ID:	1173741
          Last edited by barelfly; February 11, 2022, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            texastweeter here’s the pastrami - SheilaAnn

This was just perfect! Not dry at all and pull apart tender. I wish I remembered what cut this was - but it was some type of round. Looking at it, very similar to the two eye of round I made these past week.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting.

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like an eye round, being so lean and all. Most important: tasty ‘strami!

Picanha and eggs
          ​​​​​​

Name:	PXL_20220212_033129795.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	1173770

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t believe I’ve seen Picanha cooked or presented any better than that, honestly. Love to know how you cooked it. Impressive 👍

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman 131 degrees hot tub time machine for about 4 hours. Quick sear in HOT cast iron skillet. Seasoned with just SEA SALT
            I get the meat fat cap side down in the skillet while I'm bring it up to temp. By the time it's hot for searing, some of the fat has rendered and the remaining cap is crisp, flip and sear on naked side BOOOOM done.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            And I was just talkin about eggs and lookie here!!! 👍

Za'atar salmon (Sitka) with tahini sauce. A recipe from the Ottolenghi Test Kitchen. Really tasty.

Name:	PXL_20220212_035245878.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	274.0 KB
ID:	1173788

Name:	PXL_20220212_035538708.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	1173789

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Must admit theroc I’ve never run across these guys but just downloaded about six recipes from their website. Dish looks wonderful!! 👏

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman , take a look at Yotam Ottolenghi's cookbooks--I like his Nopi and also his Jerusalem cookbooks the best. They're amazing.

Kathryn

• theroc
            theroc commented
            Editing a comment
            Troutman - we enjoy the great flavors in their recipes, and their simplicity

The Porter Road order put in a week or two ago came with some pork chops, which I reverse seared last night. They were excellent
          Attached Files

Comment

• Caffeine88
            Caffeine88 commented
            Editing a comment
            Damn. Looks awesome!

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks delish! What were your target temps during indirect?

• BradNorthGA
            BradNorthGA commented
            Editing a comment
            DaveD I take it off the low-n-slow smoke to get it ready to sear when it hits ~125-130* F

Dinner party at our house for a dozen last night. I didn't get good pix of the whole thing, but a selection that came looking good. The wife and I tag teamed to get it done (OK, she did a very large part and I grilled, tasted, and assembled 😁)

Grilled lamb sliders, reverse seared with cherry for smoke. Bacon jam, alleppo pepper aoli, arugula on Lisa's hand made slider rolls for an appetizer.

Beef borguignon made with Click Akaushi chuck roast. OMG. Best borg yet, the quality of the beef was very noticeable.

Variety of Lisa's bread and her butters. The rolls are Japanese milk bread, and the dark ones use black cocoa.

Finished up with salad topped with cured egg (previously pictured), Yukon gold mashed potatoes.

Desert was sous vide cheesecake with fruit, Strawberry crepes, and dark chocolate cupcakes.

Name:	20220211_191403.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1173939 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220211_190634.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1173937 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220211_193353.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	1173936 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220211_195932.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1173938 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220211_200059.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1173940

Comment

• BradNorthGA
            BradNorthGA commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! I thought I smelled something good wafting in from the Athens direction! 🤣

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd make the drive for that meal, everything looks fantastic and that bread!!!!
            Great work both of you.

• DTro
            DTro commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like a great meal!

Quite the production! Congrats!

Comment

A Click Akaushi teres major from the other night. Served with air fryer potatoes.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	0D2CA82F-2D4C-49F2-A108-294AA866FDB6.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	3.83 MB ID:	1173959 Click image for larger version  Name:	A88AC934-66A8-45F3-BF61-6AE5F8BA8C91.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	1.77 MB ID:	1173956 Click image for larger version  Name:	EF461DCD-AC0B-4851-BB39-C23E90A0B2B7.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	3.80 MB ID:	1173958 Click image for larger version  Name:	831FDDD5-F1D0-4739-92B5-488505A809B6.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	4.43 MB ID:	1173957
            Last edited by Red Man; February 12, 2022, 11:33 AM.

Comment

• gboss
              gboss commented
              Editing a comment
              how'd you like the teres major?

• Red Man
              Red Man commented
              Editing a comment
              gboss Teres major is good but I much prefer cuts like bavette, flank, skirt, strip, ribeye…I’d say I like it better than tenderloin but I’m not much of a tenderloin person.

• gboss
              gboss commented
              Editing a comment
              Red Man the idea of a teres major is intriguing: beefy "chuck" flavor with tenderness near tenderloin. Sounds like it's still not as interesting as I was hoping.
              Tenderloin is fine, but it's not my favorite.

Hangersteak.. with potatoes, shrooms, aspargues, grilled veggies.. topped with whiskypepper sauce.. Click image for larger version

Name:	20220212_153308.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1174014 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220212_180657.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1174012 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220212_193243.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1174013 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220212_193810.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	1174011

Comment

A few days ago, I continued down my journey of pizza exploration and made my best pizza yet!

I did a few things differently this time. I let the dough ferment in the fridge for six days. (I wanted to do day three or four, but life got in the way.) There were two things I noticed with this technique. First, the dough was much easier to knead out into my 12" cast iron pan and also, and perhaps most importantly, it gave the dough that yeasty/pizzay taste that my previous day-of doughs did not have.

I also used low-moisture whole milk mozzarella cheese instead of the shredded part-skim mozzarella I had been using. Wow. What a difference! This is the secret to those utterly delicious brown patches on pizza cheese. YUM!

I also tried getting away from the traditional American-style toppings. For this I used prosciutto and chopped shallots. This was incredibly good. Intense flavor without pools (and pools) of grease. (My pizza sauce is uncooked crushed Muir Glen fire-roasted tomatoes, with some oregano, salt, garlic powder, and a pinch of sugar mixed in.)

I still am thinking of getting a baking steel in the future, but for now my technique of browning the bottom of the crust on the stove before putting the toppings on and placing in the oven or pellet grill is working exceptionally well for me.

Here we are just out of the oven (475 F for 15 mins). My crust shrunk a bit, obviously. Look at those brown spots on the cheese!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5339.jpg Views:	9 Size:	3.45 MB ID:	1174057

Resting on a wire rack to keep that bottom crisp.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5340.jpg Views:	9 Size:	3.78 MB ID:	1174058

Strings of cheese! Can't get that with shredded moz.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5341.jpg Views:	9 Size:	3.26 MB ID:	1174056

The bottom of the crust. (I lightly oil the cast iron with EVOO and sprinkle in some oregano and red pepper flakes before pre-browning the crust for about 4 minutes.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5342.jpg Views:	9 Size:	2.33 MB ID:	1174055

Definitely will make again.....probably Friday.
            Last edited by Michael_in_TX; February 12, 2022, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Great job! If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it 1000 times. Grate your own cheese! There are tons of additives to the pre shredded stuff. That’s why it hard melts the way regular grated-to-order does. I’m going to try browning before hitting the oven first. Honestly, I have done it the other way around with ok results. I will report back!

• DTro
              DTro commented
              Editing a comment
              The crust looks amazing. I use a pizza steel in a 550º oven. I preheat it a least an hour and leave it in the oven the whole time as I throw on and take off pizzas. I do not get that browning on the bottom of the crust that you do!

• Michael_in_TX
              Michael_in_TX commented
              Editing a comment
              Putting down a little bit of EVOO and some spices gives it a very lightly fried taste that I like.

lunch today with this good pastrami! And Since I didn’t get a plated shot last night……

Name:	0FAFB07D-7980-41B9-96E3-1A48BC14EC32.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	1174087

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              yer killin me

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here