Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice cook and Welcome from Western Massachusetts.

Comment

I did another stir fry last night, with all the little beef trimmings from the Creekstone prime rib. I used Recipe Tin's basic stir fry sauce, and added garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes as base flavors. It turned out really well, and I very much recommend her methods.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220206_201457.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1171595 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220206_201718.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	1171596

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Very close to the sauce I made above.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        She's one of my favorites as well.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks yummy.
        I miss Nagi's posts! I wish she'd get her cookbook finished already.

Kathryn

Ondoulli and shrimp jumbalaya

Name:	20220207_151605.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	1171645

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh snap !!!!!

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman 😂😂 Fer a minute there I thought that was Sheila Ann.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Now we're talkin....
        Outstanding job

Easy eggs on corned beef. My Wife made these for me while I put up laundry. at 67 we still make a team​​​​​​​. 47 years my best friend

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2180.JPG Views:	2 Size:	1.77 MB ID:	1171721
      Last edited by SammyJ; February 8, 2022, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• KiloVolt89
        KiloVolt89 commented
        Editing a comment
        Perfectly executed eggs!!!

I cooked for the snowball open this last weekend. 24 Racks of ribs between the KBQ and the PBC out on the ice. I had the Burtch Barrel out there for a fire pit too. It was -5 F when I lit up the fire, but it warmed up to about 25 F and the sun came out. Just a great day!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4950.jpeg Views:	92 Size:	132.8 KB ID:	1171787 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4952.jpeg Views:	93 Size:	105.3 KB ID:	1171785 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4953.jpeg Views:	94 Size:	138.7 KB ID:	1171788 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4955.jpeg Views:	96 Size:	152.3 KB ID:	1171786

Name:	IMG_4961 2.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	1172365

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        it is a blast! @Huskee

My Dad lives on the lake, so I can just drive right out there from his house. He has a boat launch right next to his beach on his property. I built a sled to hold all the smokers and I simply pull it out there behind my truck or my Dad's side by side. DTro

• das85
        das85 commented
        Editing a comment
        That is spectacular. Ribs look glorious, but it says something about the setting when it's worthwhile looking at the non-food pics too!

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Nothing better

Wings & SVQ corn on the BGE last night, it was great. Wish I'd bought a bigger pack of wings lol
      Attached Files

Comment

Goodness, these ended up dry brining for 72 hours!

Anyway, 8 chops only an inch thick. Cut the fat off 4 for the wife, added extra pepper to mine.

3 large lemons, zested
        4 tablespoons of peppercorns in the spice mill (coffee grinder)
        Smoked salt lightly sprinkled on each side

In foil in the fridge originally only was supposed to be a 12 or 24 hour wait.

Today, chopped up the broccoli, 1 stick of salted butter, and juice of 1 lemon.

Did the chops 4 at a time, juice of 1 lemon to deglaze between each batch..

Way better than lemonpepper based chop recipes IMO.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220205_211926.jpg Views:	95 Size:	200.7 KB ID:	1171855
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20220208_125814.jpg Views:	93 Size:	168.6 KB ID:	1171856
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20220208_131025.jpg Views:	95 Size:	196.9 KB ID:	1171857
        Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; February 9, 2022, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• BradNorthGA
          BradNorthGA commented
          Editing a comment
          I have 2 Porter Road pork chops in the freezer I'm going to cook at some point, might have to go with the lemon zest idea here

T-Bones and shrimp on the barbie! No pictures on the plate, was too busy getting everything on the table before the shrimp got cold.

Name:	steak-n-shrimp - 1.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1171865

Name:	steak-n-shrimp - 2.jpeg
Views:	303
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1171863

Name:	steak-n-shrimp - 3.jpeg
Views:	282
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1171864

Comment

• DTro
          DTro commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes! Nice sear.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Man, BBQ shrimp is sooooo good …. We just marinate it in Newman’s olive oil and vinegar dressing plus red pepper flakes. Then cook it over fire like this.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          And hell, who don’t love the fire!

Inspired by other posts here, I tried Kenji's method for a red sauce and used a mix of his and my recipes. It turned out delicious. Next time, I will add more liquid and cook longer. Hopefully, to better break down the tomatoes. I improvised the meatballs, egg, panko, v-8, a dash of this, a dash of that. Super meal on a chilly day!

Name:	trozzo_220206_096-Edit.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	1171942

Name:	trozzo_220206_172-Edit.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	1171944

Name:	trozzo_220206_197-Edit.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	1171941

Name:	trozzo_220206_227-Edit.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	277.4 KB
ID:	1171943

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Heck yeah! Awesome!

• DTro
          DTro commented
          Editing a comment
          Richard Chrz- Maybe next time I will have some awesome bread to dip in the sauce!!! Note my weak whole-wheat baguette in background.

• DTro
          DTro commented
          Editing a comment
          crazytown3 - Funny you say that. Red-sauce always brings back good memories of me snitching sauce when mamma left the kitchen.

First use of my new Dual Heat Air Fryer. SV tritip seared on it and air fried sweet potatoes. I am happy.

Name:	2022-02-08 18.36.22.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	1172011

Details on the cook on the Do You Air Fry thread.

Comment

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks delicious. What's a dual heat Air Fryer? Asking for a dummy (me).

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          It's this:https://www.ninjakitchen.com/exclusi...ydrate-reheat/

It heats from above and below, comes with a heavy sear plate and has the air fryer air circulation function.

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          Just saw your other post on do you air fry thread. Thanks for the info.

Went a little crazy and decided to cook paella on a campfire while temp were in the mid 30’s.

Name:	413F32B4-96BF-4500-9289-4DD6EE71D832.jpeg
Views:	282
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1172035

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve got a cast iron paella pan that I have yet to use. So need to do this.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh my gawd this is so cool on so many levels. Paella is a challenge enough as is but over an open fire in Francis Mallmann style is indeed impressive. Bravo sir 👏👏👏

• DTro
          DTro commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks like an amazing time! Donw Could that be on Assateague? I keep telling my wife we are going to cook there next time we visit. However, not brave enough to try paella.

SV’d a chuck roast at 155 for 48 hours looking for faux brisket. Finished tonight with oak smoke at ~325 with a plan to take it off at 150 internal but I was too lazy to use a leave-in probe so it got to 170 and some of it started shredding. I can’t believe I haven’t done one of these like this before it was awesome
        Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I've never SVed a chuck either but I intend to on my next one. Looks wonderful.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Try SVQ Chuck medium rare (135*F x 28 hours) then sear back to 135*F. Eats like steak !!!

There has been a lot of burger discussions recently. So it got me to do a burger. I do like stuffed burgers and haven't done one in awhile. So 8 oz. Chuck Burger from a grind. Stuffed with smoked pepper jack, bacon crumbled up and cowboy candy. Dry Brine a couple of hours and graced with Big Bad Beef Rub. Had extra cheese so I melted it down and poured on fries. Was OK. When hot, poured easily but as it cooled it hardened. Tasty but not the greatest texture.
        ​ ​ ​ ​
        ​​​​​​​

Comment

Carne Adovada & Posole, inspired & guided by barelfly
          I finally got to use the Bueno New Mexican mild dried red chiles (≈8 oz) plus I added 20 gm of Bueno med/hot ground red chile. Seared the ≈ 1.5" cubes of pork shoulder, added the garlic part way through the second batch of pork to avoid burning.

It's amazing how rehydrated dried chiles form such a thick paste! If anyone knows the science behind that, I'd love to hear it. I misunderstood some of Jeremy's directions, and added enough fluid for my final result to be more of a stew consistency. Jeremy told me the base is the thick paste stage, which clings to the pork, and you dilute IF you want to make a posole (which was my goal.)

Also, Jeremy prefers it straight up, but we added some rinsed chopped red onions, cilantro, avocado. And a squeeze of lime. I think it benefits from the acid.

It's amazing how the bitterness of the chiles goes away after about two hours of simmering. If you added some cocoa it would be a simpler mole sauce.

Cooked up the hominy which finally arrived from Rancho Gordo.

Delicious with some soft corn tortillas on the side.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0437.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	373.7 KB ID:	1172131 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0440.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	484.1 KB ID:	1172132 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0441.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	422.8 KB ID:	1172133

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0442.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	327.8 KB ID:	1172136 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0454.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	341.5 KB ID:	1172137 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0459.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	410.8 KB ID:	1172135 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0456.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	302.6 KB ID:	1172138

Side of roasted purple cabbage with caraway seeds, roasted garlic, and arugula salad with gorgonzola dressing, Costco Salad Topper seeds, and delicious Bartlett pear.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0458.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	473.8 KB ID:	1172139
          Last edited by Dr. Pepper; February 8, 2022, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            barelfly It was delicious. My wife is not a great Mexican food fan, so tonight I had another large bowl but she ate other leftovers. I shared it with our daughters' families, including containers of prepared hominy.
            The oldest grandchild, a 9 y/o boy, liked it, but left the hominy on his plate. Hah!
            RE: the RG hominy. I thought it was great, but I don't have anything to compare it to. I followed the directions. My wife was expecting a small bright yellow sweet corn kernel. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Well done collaboration on both your parts. Very impressive. I never got to posole in my Taco series but maybe in my Stew,Chili and Soup series? You guys have inspired me !!

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Incredible!

Beef and broccoli 🐄 + 🥦

Name:	20220208_180837~2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	1172144

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here