Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More comfort food for a winter's day. This is another version of my Smoked Osso Bucco recipe. I ran across some cheap chuck shank meat at my local Hispanic market and thought I'd give it a try. Smoked with mesquite for about an hour then braised for two hours to finally make the meat fall apart tender. This is a testament to making cheap meats delicious but boy I had to fight this bad boy !! Regardless it came out really tender, rich and stick-to-your-bones good !!

Here's the original recipe using veal shanks if interested. It can be made with beef, veal, pork or lamb with great success !!

Troutman's Smoked Osso Bucco

Click image for larger version

Name:	osso 02.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	1167727

Name:	osso 01.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	1167729

Name:	osso 03.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	1167728

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Amazing, and the recipe is pulled into Paprika. Thanks!

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Such a beautiful plate - the frills around edges are fantastic. Yummm!

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Simply outstanding and the photography and plating do it justice!

2 lbs of pork loin, a box of stovetop, some asparagus, 2 hours on the SnS Ketlle (which was rock solid, look at that FB graph!) ..... and voila, stuffed pork loin for dinner

Name:	stuffed-pork-loin - 1.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1167819

Name:	stuffed-pork-loin - 3.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1167817

Name:	stuffed-pork-loin - 2.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	1167815

Name:	stuffed-pork-loin - 4.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1167818

Name:	stuffed-pork-loin - 5.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1167816

Comment

Salmon cakes

Name:	3C4EC6AB-A118-4825-8174-569C02198661.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	1167864

Comment

My first attempt at the reverse-sear method with steak. I had three porterhouses and left them in the fridge, on a rack for 48 hours, with 24 of those hours a dry brine. They shrunk down to just about an inch thick. It was 22º outside with wind gusts of 37 mph, but thankfully we had the ingredients for a Manhattan.

Put the steaks on the Bronco at 215º with a couple of white-oak pieces for about 45 minutes until IT of 112º. Then pulled and rested them while I fought the winds and moved the fire to the upper level of the Bronco for the sear.

Dinner served with crispy mashed potatoes, mushrooms, salad, and a gorgonzola/bacon topping.

So good I almost forgot to get a picture of the results. The beef wasn't bad either.

Name:	IMG_8198.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1167888

Before the smoke

Name:	IMG_8205.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	1167889
        After the smoke

Name:	IMG_8216.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	1167887
        Start of the sear.

Name:	IMG_8227.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	1167890
        Plate almost ready for the dishwasher.

Comment

• DTro
          DTro commented
          Editing a comment
          theroc thanks-cooked at a lower temp and pulled off the smoker at a lower temp because they were only an inch thick.

Jfrosty27 went to purchase ribeyes and those pretty porterhouse were on sale $11 less per pound than the ribeye.

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          DTro And, pulling at 112 was smart, especially given the 1" thickness. I know that when I was starting to try reverse searing, I was pulling at 125-130, before searing. I overcooked them, until Iearned to 1. pre-cook or pre-smoke at a low enough temp so as not to have much carryover heat, and 2. Pull from pre-sear at 115, or 120. Don't underestimate the heat from the sear. You've done well, Grasshopper!

• efincoop
          efincoop commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 for the Manhattan!

Shoveled out the grill and put a couple of pork tenderloins and sweet potatoes on.

Name:	20220131_161430.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	1167945 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220131_163855.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	344.6 KB
ID:	1167947 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220131_172536.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	388.1 KB
ID:	1167946

Comment

• Caffeine88
          Caffeine88 commented
          Editing a comment
          Commitment! And some solid results to go with!

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice cook! Plan on digging out the deck/grills tommorow. Other option is PBJ or Smokey Joe which reside in garage. Driveway plowed out. I do like to get the snow off the deck, just because. Either way somethings getting smoked soon.

• efincoop
          efincoop commented
          Editing a comment
          Great looking cook. Nothing like a post blizzard cook. I love your dedication! I was in NH that weekend and got spared the worst of it. Got back home on Sunday and we barely got an inch.

Smoked three meat Italian American meatballs and a red sauce reduced down over 8 hours, and a slice of sourdough.

Name:	7CF118DF-7A04-424E-BC5B-07630110A97A.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	1167952

Name:	F057A299-2B30-4383-889F-2991B7DA96D8.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	1167955

Name:	6576EFF1-A578-4544-BBC8-9D4C4A8995E2.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	1167954

Name:	9E927D55-8EF7-4069-8001-20FC34D8CB2F.jpeg
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	1167953

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc. I do not hold back any reserves.I like it all cooked down, I also cook down with put a lid most of the front end, if too thick, I’d rather add in pasta water (which is what prefer anyways) But, I’ve found putting the lid back on in the end builds back the little extra moisture in the end that appeared to have cooked off prior.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc I tried the add it back in way, seemed to kill what I just built. But, try it for yourself.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc, in the summer I have added smoke to this, and done the entire cook on a kettle. Would be super easy on your Summit.

Albacore poke bowl for lunch. Quick and tasty.

Name:	IMG_6004.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	452.1 KB
ID:	1167960

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          mnavarre I spy the albacore, sesame seeds, scallions, rice…. Is the dark stuff nori? Cool looking ‘sticks, too!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Love poke 👍

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          The seaweed was wakame and hijiki.

We has some leftover pot roast, so I shredded some , added a bit of taco seasoning , and heated through. I then made quesadillas. The best parts were the thin strings of beef that got really crispy when I heated up the shredded beef.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220129_182014[1].jpg Views:	69 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	1168004
        Last edited by RonB; February 1, 2022, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Cold and rainy outside, so I did a quick salmon and broccoli stir-fry. Surprisingly, this actually is one of the best ones I've ever done!

I've been fighting a bitter note in my sauce, which I suspected was the garlic, so I left the ginger and garlic out this time. Sauce was 1/4 cup chicken stock, 2 tbl soy sauce, 1 tbl oyster sauce, 1 tbl soy paste and 1.5 tsp sugar. Excellent flavor and I love the texture on the salmon when I sear it in cast iron.

(I don't stir-fry the broccoli....I never can seem to get it cooked right, so I steam it instead.)

Name:	IMG-5330.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	1168038

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice !!

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Very Nice!

Korean inspired stir fry, heavy on the gojuchang and red pepper flakes.

The wok is the bomb!

Name:	20220131_200615.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1168047

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            Spicy stir-fry is spicy!

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great!

First Time Ever Wagyu Ribeye... Front Seared on the Smokey Joe, Truffled Pommes Anna, Killer Steamed Artichoke.

I will say this is among the Tenderest and Most Flavorful Beef I have ever eaten.

It was on sale for $27.99 lb, Regular $44.90 lb.

Dry Brined for roughly 2 hours, then sprinkled with pepper. That's it.

Name:	IMG_6564.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1168057 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6575.JPG
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	1168060 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6583.JPG
Views:	253
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1168056 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6587.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1168059 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6582.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	1168058 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6580.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1168055

Comment

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice sides to go with that beautiful steak!

Last night as part of the game time food I had tacos. It was taco beef mix I made awhile ago and had leftover in freezer. So tonight had some more beef left. Boiled up some Penne Pasta. Added the beef, pasta, salsa, chopped onion and cowboy candy to C.I. pan then Mexican 4 Cheese blend topped. In oven till cheese melted. With a roll and some wine.

Name:	20220131_192517.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	1168071 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220131_193145.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1168072 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220131_193343.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1168073

Comment

Pad Kra Pao Gai

Name:	20220131_184427~3.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1168080

Comment

• PBCDad
              PBCDad commented
              Editing a comment
              I fixed this once and it was really good, this is a great reminder to try it again.

My wife and guests were a bit put off when I noted that having the fried egg on top meant we were eating the mama and the baby

• efincoop
              efincoop commented
              Editing a comment
              That looks amazing. I'm going to have to look that recipe up!

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              efincoop it's super easy to make.

Well, today was a nice sunny winter day, mild (in the 50's) and looked to be a good day to toss something on the grill. I found some boneless skinless chicken thighs in the freezer this morning, and had been craving shawarma for a while. So, whipped up my marinade recipe after thawing the chicken using a Grillgrate griddle panel (excellent for defrosting stuff), and also made a batch of Naan dough (King Arthur recipe). The wife picked up some bell peppers and mushrooms, and we made a batch of veggie kabobs to go with the chicken.

Everything came together, and while things were going on the grill I cycled the naan through a hot skillet on the stove. When it came time to eat, I sadly realized I didn't make any yogurt sauce or buy lettuce, so we just ate the naan alongside the chicken and veggies, and used some of my marinade as a dip. All in all a good and pretty healthy meal.

Found a new (old) light source to use out by the grills, to supplement the string of lights in the pavilion... I've actually had this latern hanging from a hook out there all winter.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7716.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	908.5 KB ID:	1168103

Ran inside to make the Naan...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7709.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.08 MB ID:	1168106

Starting to get a little char on the chicken...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7719.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	1168107

And finished product - I did cycle the veggie kabobs over the fire briefly to finish them off after pulling the chicken.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7727.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1,002.6 KB ID:	1168104
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7728.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	1168109

Tested out my Victorinox bread knife on the chicken...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7729.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	1168108

And plated...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7730.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	984.1 KB ID:	1168105

We will eat this tomorrow too. Gonna make an effort to eat healthier food for a bit, according to SWMBO. She did approve this menu plan of mine as healthy...

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman Yep! We do see ourselves as plumbers. Pressure, flow, resistance, resistors (arterial narrowing or blockage) in parallel vs series, (also a little electrician there as well.) And, I do like to fix things around the house. And, not to worry, I've never taken myself too seriously! We're all in this together. 'This' = 'Life'
              Last edited by Dr. Pepper; February 1, 2022, 10:56 PM.

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Dr. Pepper Oh, my doc talks to me about it all the time. I listen sometimes ;-) .... also, less cigars would impact my cigar sales rep's ability to feed her kids!
              Last edited by ecowper; February 1, 2022, 05:34 PM.

• efincoop
              efincoop commented
              Editing a comment
              Great looking cook!

CACIO E PEPE
            https://smittenkitchen.com/2018/09/foolproof-cacio-e-p , Hot Italian sausage from a local source, Jack Mountain Meats, Skagit Valley WA, and kale/shaved brussels/seeds salad. The secret to making cheese and starch water look like cream:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0390.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	319.1 KB ID:	1168150 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0391.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	425.5 KB ID:	1168151

NOTE: NO CHEESE CLUMPS. COMPLETE EMULSIFICATION OF THE PECORINO & PASTA WATER
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0392.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	303.8 KB ID:	1168149 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0394.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	311.5 KB ID:	1168148
            Last edited by Dr. Pepper; January 31, 2022, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              A dear friend of mine did this dish IN a wheel of parm for her birthday party. Mind blown.

• das85
              das85 commented
              Editing a comment
              This looks awesome. Cacio e pepe is my wife's favorite dish, and while she also has a favorite restaurant for it, I've tried it at home a few times. Have had moderate success following Kenji's approach but will try this next time, your results speak for themselves!

• Dr. Pepper
              Dr. Pepper commented
              Editing a comment
              das85 While I'm a big Kenji fan, this worked.
              In a restaurant with enough cheese, it would be easier. But for us 2, I find I have to have about 3 meals worth to be deep enough for the immersion blender to function. I use a Pyrex measuring cup as the container, I scrape it down, pulse, repeat. And, as noted, I fine grate. I think last time I used about 100 gms of pecorino romano, ½ -1 tsp black pepper which I ground in spice grinder, and worked my way up to 4-6 Tbs cold H2O. It freezes well.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here