Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decided to do a little winter freeze prep / hurricane practice and cook my strip steak tacos outside on the butane-powered stove I bought for last year's freeze (which, sigh, arrived after the freeze).

Cooking on such a stove is challenging. Even on the minimum setting, with a cast iron pan, these things gets stupidly hot, very fast! I overcooked one of my steaks.

Still, the house will not smell like fajitas for the next two days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5299.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1162206

Name:	IMG-5301.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1162207

Name:	IMG-5302.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1162209

Name:	IMG-5303.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1162208

As a quick aside, the AC is blowing in my house. In about 30 minutes I won't need it. Here comes the front (arrow is where I am, roughly.)

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 10.10.37 PM.png
Views:	258
Size:	891.9 KB
ID:	1162210

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      What's your weather now? We have some friends in TX who said this morning it was 21 at their place. They moved there 25yrs ago from northern IN, near the MI border, and said it felt like old times.

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Mid 40s during the day, but it did get to freezing last night briefly.

@Michael_in_TX Honest answer needed: You're hoping there is a power outage in the near future, so you (we?) can have outside taco nights!
    ps: Nicely done. I might have to get one of those! (But what about the Weber gasser?)

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      in a hurricane an outdoor gasser can be a projectile, and, you need to go out on the leeward side of the house to grill, portable grill mandatory!
      Mich was doing hurricane drills!
      Last edited by smokenoob; January 19, 2022, 11:11 PM.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      So, in said hurricane, it would seem to be safer to sear boneless ribeye; safer to be slapped in the face with a slab of meat that doesn't have an imbedded bone spear. I need to stock up on those, 'just in cases.'

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      lol.....unfortunately, with as humid as it usually is here (even in the winter, it's a wet cold) power outages are not comfortable.

Korean beef short ribs (kalbi) and rice. Threw in the crock pot for the day while working.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	A465CBBB-3CB6-4909-A216-8064C7009E34.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	1162253

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks delicious!

Simple grilled boneless skinless chicken thighs! A go to for an easy and quick weekday meal!
    Attached Files

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look fabulous just rub and grill?

• TWBarbecue
      TWBarbecue commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter Thank you! Yep just rub and grill! Sometimes I find simplicity just gets the job done easily with great results! Thanks again!

So after 4 months of not being able to use my MAK (post surgery limitations), I gave it good cleaning. Further incented by the need to reduce our frig and pantry contents pre-termite fumigation. So, 2 racks of baby backs (well, 1 and 1/2 as my wife's portion does not get smoked. And I finally got to use one of Secret Santa rubs - Special Sh*t by Big Cock Ranch. I consider this cook kind of a "fail" as the ribs came out overcooked even though they probed between 180-195* - too dry although very tasty. If you like sweet and spicy/tangy, the rub is excellent!

Served with a Kansas City style sauce and corn on the cob. Now to figure out what to do with the leftovers!! Definitely quesadillas one night.

Name:	20220119_090236.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1162307 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220119_152123.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1162308 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220119_152309.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1162306

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Not a fail.... way to push through!

A little home cured bacon, egg, and cheese… in a homemade waffle cone! 😋
    Attached Files

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      That is just flat out fun!

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome!!

• das85
      das85 commented
      Editing a comment
      If that's not a breakfast of champions then I don't know what is.

Maybe accompanied by a Bloody Mary..

Red beans and rice

Name:	IMG_20220120_123456.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1162402

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      on my short list!

My wife just signed up for a new job - worth celebrating. Took out some red deer, boneless inside. Some of the best game meat on the planet. Front seared to an internal temp of 45 deg C. Amazing flavor, veeeery tender.

Name:	A6B7854F-9CBA-4EF3-BBD4-E4543E582748.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	1162434

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I had to look up red deer, I pictured the small deer but had to look it up to be sure and I was way off. Red deer are huge! Looks like a very similar animal to the elk. Was this a loin?

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, they are pretty big, but smaller than elk. It’s the inside thigh, ridiculously tender. Think beef tenderloin, but deer.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      I have about 1 and a half in my freezer.we love the stuff.

Cooked a couple of New York strips tonight. I dry brined several hours with Meatheads Red Meat rub. That stuff is the bomb. Steaks were just standard USDA choice and even on sale at Publix, so nothing special to start with but turned out great.

Name:	2022-01-20 18.29.04.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	1162520

Name:	2022-01-20 18.29.46.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1162519

Served with a baked sweet potato. Definitely a good meal. I had planned to cook these tonight because my wife, who is not a steak fan, had a work dinner to attend. And since our daughter is suddenly quarantined with two toddlers, she got the second steak.

Name:	2022-01-20 18.32.48.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1162518

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      New York strip and a sweet potato, the Ying and the yang! Sweeet!

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect! And, lucky daughter.

We are under hard freeze warning (anything below 45°, thin blood 🙄🤔)
    so it’s Cioppino! This one had salmon, grouper, royal red shrimp, fresh mussels and clams! Way too cold for this Floridian to go out anywhere near his grill 😎😂
    Attached Files

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      The cold weather isn't making it to us until late tomorrow night. So I was comfy cooking my steaks.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice meal! But…I don’t feel sorry for you regarding the weather. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      45* is a hard freeze warning…no grilling Hahah!

The cioppino looks great!

Turned left over smoked turkey into fried rice

Name:	IMG_20220120_194552.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1162554

Comment

Chicken Parmesan stuffed spaghetti squash. A new dish for me, even the squash was new to me. I’ve had a string of not the greatest cooks the last week and this was going out on the limb for my wife and son. But, my wife liked. Son…he ate it and will eat most anything I put on the plate. Not sure it was his favorite though. And, I enjoyed it - it’s a keto like recipe I believe, but next time I’d add a bit of bread crumb for some textural balance.

Name:	CB8BDD90-36E9-4086-AB35-3A82946279AF.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	1162580

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much. I’m usually one to follow a recipe exactly the first time (except garlic) but what would you change next time besides bread crumbs?

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Andrrr it was pretty good as is. I basically made the recipe as is but only used one squash. So, I guess I doubled the aromatics. I like cooking with onions and garlic (this was store bought minced - usually loses some flavor so I am heavier with garlic), so I went as is for that. The chicken was from the previous night, so I used what I had. Sauce was Newman’s, usually I doctor up premade sauce but didn’t here. It was good and I’ll make again with a crumb mixture in the cheese.

Chicken and broccoli stir fry.

Name:	20220120_183753.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	1162590

Bonus pic: the owl I saw on my walk before dinner.

Name:	20220120_170949~2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1162589

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        We figured out after the fact that losing two smaller cats was the work of great horned owls. Now our cats are strictly indoors.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Jim White Wow, sorry to hear about your cats. That is terrible.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Jim White On the plus side, you are saving local songbirds.

Did some wild sockeye salmon in the oven with a bit of garlic and some Bachan's sauce. And for some reason I decided to eat it on a :shudder: salad. Delicious. The salmon was delicious anyway. Can't say much for the salad.

Name:	20220117_125007.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	1162651

Comment

Pork butts were on sale for $1.78/lb so in this day and age of rising prices I can't pass up a deal on food.

It was a chilly 6* out when I put them on the 26" kettle, but when the sun popped up the hickory and pear wood smoke made for some neat pics.

Name:	IMAG8068.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1162741 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG8071.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	1162740

Comment

• dwlacroix
          dwlacroix commented
          Editing a comment
          Head down South. I picked up a couple yesterday for $1.49/lb.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here