Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck at the house with covid 11 months to the week since we had it last. Running through the wild game freezer...have enough to last all winter if need be lol. Couple of recent cooks. Bourbon turkey (too bad all I had was buffalo trace and expensive stuff, wild turkey wild turkey would be cool!), and a croque misure using American and parm instead of gruere and parm.
    Attached Files

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Have venison chili in the Dutch over. Will make some corn chips with the dry masa for frito pie tomorrow.
      Last edited by texastweeter; January 17, 2022, 08:40 PM. Reason: Auto correct got me again

Beef and chicken stir fry. I cut up the chicken and beef and asked SWMBO if she would mind cutting the veggies. She said OK - what veggies should she cut? I said whatever she wanted. Wound up with green pepper, onion, mushrooms, celery, bok choy, and zucchini. That worked out well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220117_180613[1].jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	1161326
    Last edited by RonB; January 17, 2022, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah she did!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice !! Add peanuts

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman - I woulda added some cashews if I had had any...

Farmed Steelhead from Costco... baked on the pellet grill at 400F...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220117_193132.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1161352 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220117_193152.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1161353 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220117_193106.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1161354

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Gorgeous salmon, peas, rice....perfect plating!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice photos

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I like steelhead nearly as much as salmon and is usually cheaper. Good lookin plate my man !!!

Yesterday's smoked beef ribs became tonight's barbecue Burbon Stroganoff-ish thingy. I pretty much made this up on the fly and it came out great. Just utterly decadent.

Name:	IMG_5993.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	1161384

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      !Ish is Good, Brother, an where I lagely live, when I fire up a heat source...

Work with what ya gots, an what ya know, make a meal fer yer Loved Ones...

I will never tire of this cook

Name:	ttp.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1161388

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      That's 'cause you get to light a fire instead of puttin' it out.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      There she is! I knew that despite your recent purchases you still loved her!!!

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      And you know I was thinking of you as well, Ted!

Being off work yesterday due to the holiday and unable to go anywhere due to the snow, left me with plenty of time to smoke a pork butt
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mike-Sid
      Mike-Sid commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect day to smoke! Looking good

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Commitment, I salute you Sir.

I actually thought to snap a couple of pictures over the long weekend. I fired up the Weberon a cold Sunday to reverse sear some Berkshire pork chops and then yesterday I made a batch of smoked turkey chili from some turkey I smoked back around Thanksgiving.
    Attached Files

Comment

Cast Iron Pan-Seared Faroe Salmon! Delicious!
      Attached Files

Comment

Made a couple racks of ‘extra meaty’ loin back ribs last night. Took 6 hours at 245 for back ribs. These were cut at local grocery meat counter, so the one rack looks a little silly from sloppy knife work. Had a couple rubs to try on ribs. Hank’s won hands down. I’m gonna miss his rubs.
      Attached Files

Comment

A couple slabs of bacon then loaded this for supper.

Name:	IMG_20220118_175141.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	1161527

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee it's a shop bought maple syrup flavoured cured loin. I had never seen them before in a store. They appeared on the shelves just before Christmas and I picked 2 up at after season marked down price. My suspicion is they were cuts from excess back bacon from one of the factories. Looked yesterday for more but all sold out.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          OK that makes sense. It looked a bit thick for belly but also didn't look like a normal loin to me. In any case, yum!

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee here's a pic of first one I bought

I get 99.9% of my questions answered by the pit members even though I mostly haven't personally ask any of them. And then there are the answers to those questions, I had no idea I needed to ask but have an answer before I even knew I would be needing one. Today I have no answer or recall having read anything that might have

Yesterday we had a three-time rescheduled birthday celebration for my son, who turned 27 on Dec 26, but came down with "sickness" along with his wife on the 28th. He had asked for my "Korean" wings, and I came up with a menu consisting of:

- Dakgangjeong (Korean Fried Chicken Wings)
        - Vegetable Fried Rice
        - Salad with ginger & sesame dressing

All in all it was really really good. I made rice at noon, put in the fridge to cool in some pans, and started cooking at 4pm, finished cooking at 6:30pm with the final batch of wings. The recipe for the wings involves a thin batter (water, flour, corn starch), and frying all wings twice. Tossed in a mixture of gochujang, sesame, ginger, toasted sesame oil, etc.

Took a while to get 10 pounds of wings done, since they started from almost frozen, and the oil in all 3 fryers had to recover a little between batches. Also decided my next cooktop will have higher BTU burners, as it was a struggle to reach 375 on a big dutch oven of oil on the stove top. It also took longer than usual to get the fried rice done as it was about 34F outside. Cooked the rice first on the Camp Chef flattop, and put into the oven at 170F to hold for dinner.

First - getting going on the rice...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7540.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.17 MB ID:	1161540

Finishing up with everything combined on the flat top... Not sure I had added the soy sauce or much of it yet...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7541.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.08 MB ID:	1161542

The mess I made in the kitchen....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7542.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.31 MB ID:	1161539

Closeup of some dutch oven action...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7545.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.33 MB ID:	1161541

One of many piles of wings, waiting 2 minutes before a toss in the sauce...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7543.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.91 MB ID:	1161535

Saucy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7544.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.17 MB ID:	1161538

Dinner served using Panhead John 's finest china, glassware and flatware...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7548.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	1161536

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7550.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	1161537
        Last edited by jfmorris; January 18, 2022, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          "Dakgangjeong"? What did you call me??

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha Troutman I know! That’s what they called it over at ATK where I got the recipe. I actually got this one off a PBS episode of ATK, then got the spelling years later off their website.

• tamidw
          tamidw commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks good! Glad you were finally able to have the birthday dinner for your son. I had same thing happen with my daughter. Was supposed to see her on her birthday (Jan. 1) and she got sick right after Christmas. Was only able to see her last night.

Turkey soup ..... I froze the carcass of the thanksgiving turkey. Brought it out last week and made turkey soup with it. Onions, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, turkey carcass, and water. Cooked for about 8 hours. Most of it is turkey stock and is in the freezer. But 8 cups I turned into turkey noodle soup :-)

Name:	turkey-soup - 1.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1161577

Name:	turkey-soup - 2.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1161573

Name:	turkey-soup - 4.jpeg
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	1161574

Name:	turkey-soup - 3.jpeg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1161576

Name:	turkey-soup - 5.jpeg
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1161572

Name:	turkey-soup - 6.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1161575

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          warms my tummy!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Outstanding! I love this stuff.

Last night, after a lazy day of not doing much of anything, I cooked a couple bone in NY strips for dinner. The SnS Kettle, as usual, kicked butt!

Name:	NY Strips MLK - 1.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	1161582

Name:	NY Strips MLK - 2.jpeg
Views:	237
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	1161583

Name:	NY Strips MLK - 3.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1161581

Name:	NY Strips MLK - 4.jpeg
Views:	233
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1161580

Name:	NY Strips MLK - 5.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1161584

Comment

• jhapka
          jhapka commented
          Editing a comment
          I gotta stop visiting this thread on an empty stomach

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful!

I was pleasantly surprised to find a 22" Weber in good condition at the Airbnb I stayed at last weekend.

Name:	0Z7JPpFSFeIijJgASBlXJqi-lOYLsdYzlIM_t3tEYrf9BOwXZPzHqoPjJ7Ncc_6htED5A21mw4bJ4An0xbJh__CzxgzyHdjl2DnPBxhxUPNWUJsoFUSG1Y6l4NPKtYjDfzCMMcXhBlFsmjS1kubWutTtfO7t0rnLc1nMB_86_TGYgIX5FuXP6MMczxDJS22e_NxTXUeX7tCyGCG8rRIPer0uvLKMniXoTqY3BWpMzM9WLzq0slr6CZ8783N5RHn
Views:	214
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	1161685

Name:	IbBJalnML6dZQ5JZ05SPtS4d_9JlhSU2TDTCOaUAhelMsrKpTqmnlhYcrCoC6rs51m5qm8sATtKqQ8lrrUZ5KQpVH9D9vE1dRNQJF319cdLBQoxXWaCCDDoPfturVfAPk6fMHsaMDlroQe0HB89j3aUyLD1gjmrPi2Wr_50LKOzJctqCbhR9QfS4AGLjP5NJl2wucxwpzdMqE6m4Z-9bZasGctebMnj7qRZjToJxxr6Xeqi5140SDtPZYHzHXSO
Views:	219
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1161686

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you gift them a SNS?

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Dr. Pepper naw, I'm a coal banker that way there's no special equipment to come to rely on.

Jerk chicken, plantains, rice and black beans

Name:	PXL_20220118_013441422.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	1161692

Comment

• theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          Spectacular

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          SheilaAnn plantains (extremely ripe) and jerk chicken are like peanut butter and jelly

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          That's restaurant quality right there.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here