Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220115_235428965.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	1160037

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn…

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, now see that in my future.

Pork tenderloin, Meathead pork rub, cooked on my Weber Jumbo Joe with cherry wood chunk. A balmy 14 degrees out with a fresh 5Ò€ inches of snow. Pretty darn tasty though, so worth it!

Click image for larger version  Name:	D0D1A26F-BBAD-49D6-9329-C8763D32F8E0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	947.4 KB ID:	1160042 Click image for larger version  Name:	11BF81EA-9B7E-4E22-8EBF-DF255F6730E4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	991.9 KB ID:	1160043
    Last edited by Mark-B; January 15, 2022, 06:40 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Juicy pork there! Nice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220115_193358.jpg Views:	9 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	1160045

pan fried mahi-mahi in brown butter, with avocado salsa on a bed of garlic sautΓ©ed spinach.
    Last edited by WillTravelForFood; January 15, 2022, 07:03 PM.

Comment

After clearing 14.3Ò€ of snow from the driveway and patios, I decided it was definitely a comfort food day.
      Attached Files

Comment

• theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        Great looking smoke ring!

• Mark-B
        Mark-B commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! Sounds like you got more snow than us (NE) this time around.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent end of snow day meal!

So easy on a pellet grill. Spatchcock, season, then into the 375*f pellet grill at 15:18, done at 16:10. Glazed and started shut down mode. The best chicken I have done to date.
      There was one OH NO. Should have cleaned the grill after last smoked pork butt. Grease fire burned out quickly. Lesson learned. Don't wait for the grill to tell you it is time to clean.
      Sorry, out of PBR until warmer weather.

Name:	EZ BBQ Chix 220115.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1160063

Comment

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        almost PBBR!

Wings on Wildcard Weekend! Marinated in a Chef @ericgephart steak marinade! DELICIOUS! Check it out at https://youtu.be/DrOUDxd-D7E

Smoked at 225Β° for 45 min then cranked it up to 350Β° for 15/20 min until the color and crispiness was there!
      Attached Files

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking good in the BBQ Hood.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty wings!

• DTro
        DTro commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice pic!

A spin with ramen - looked at a few recipes from Serious Eats and then went at it with flavors that I enjoy with the wok. And, a soft boiled egg on the side, done SV style (not the easiest thing to peal - partial shell still there!)

Name:	F9F302E0-537A-492E-8BFA-F786CBC7F49B.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	1160091

Name:	019864D3-CF7D-49A9-A003-2F72CD5BF835.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	1160092

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll refresh my steps, it’s been awhile, I did eventually figure that step out, but, I went SV, then opened from the big end, and let it slide out on it’s own into a small wire hand held mesh strainer, and then into boiling water to finish it with a real poaching. It’s a bit more work, but, when I was doing it a lot, it was a pretty perfect process. I’ve been craving this again! Looks fantastic.

Another awesome cook!
      1. Two firsts for Brisket. Overnight cook at 200 degrees and finished wrapped in butcher paper. The Best Bark!
      2. Pork Belly Burnt Ends
      3. Huge Spare Ribs that is my biggest cutting board.

Attached Files

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome it Γ’β‚¬Λœtis!

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        I would pair them with PBR.
        Would not have to ask twice!

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        All look perfect!

Smoked a 9-lb bone-in pork butt from Creekstone today, but decided to separate the "money medallion" and pull it off between 175-180 for slicing, and let the other, bone-in piece go all the way to pulling temps. Got some good recommendations from folks here, full details available at this link right here. The sliced medallion made for an awesome dinner, and the nibbles of the pulled pork we sampled as I portioned it up a couple hours later were delicious. The smaller piece was done in plenty of time for dinner, while the bone-in piece needed more time to get there. Any time I have a butt that allows me to do this, I'm gonna from now on. Best of both worlds.

Ran at 250 on my Pit Boss vertical p-smoker, in the coldest weather I've yet run in, didn't get above 25F all day. Didn't seem to make much difference except that when I tried to start off on the "smoke" setting, it couldn't keep it at that low temp against the cold. Trivial, I just restarted and went to my set point.

Name:	20220114_145149.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1160124

Name:	20220115_124726.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	1160126

Name:	20220115_152900.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	1160125

Name:	20220115_182953.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	1160122

Name:	20220115_183832.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	1160127

Name:	20220115_205205.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	1160123

Name:	20220115_205635.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	353.5 KB
ID:	1160128

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great and glad you liked the sliced butt. I like this idea and may go this way next time I have a bone in butt to smoke.

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris - your input was especially important in how I went about that cook. I would have gone to 190+ for the sliced piece. Given how spectacular it was at ~178, I think that would have not been as good. Thanks again!

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to be of help Dave! I imagine at 190+ it would have been like trying to slice mushy pot-roast...

Been a while. Work had sucked but feels great to grill even in our big chill. Wicked cold lately in Mass.

Had my brother in law up from VA and did some rib caps and fillets.
      Attached Files

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Worth the wait!

I made two chickens (only one pictured) and 3 racks of ribs, two traditional Memphis style and one Filipino style (per Steve Raichlen’s recipe). A few lessons:
      1. I don’t like Steve Raichlen’s Filipino rib recipe
      2. you can’t rush good bbq
      3. If you lose your coal bed on the KBQ you’ll have a hard time

I knew 2, but I tried it anyway. The consequence, ribs that had significantly more bit through than intended… ah well.

also turns out that hanging with your baby by yourself while cooking lots of food can be distracting and lead to coal bed loss :P

Name:	6933CCE2-8FAA-48AD-842E-B1B2418D7412.jpeg
Views:	315
Size:	296.3 KB
ID:	1160145

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Baby vs BBQ πŸ€” (Don't tell the Mrs.!)
        I bet it was still tasty.

While the day wasn't overly cold, we had sustained winds of 20 mph and gusts to over 50 mph....not a day I wanted to use any of my grills for a long period of time, so I turned to a Sam The Cooking Guy recipe I've been wanting to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP_-Wjfvo5M

It's basically beef stew, but it turned out phenomenal!

After cubing up some chuck roast, you sear it in bacon fat. Then in goes carrots, pearl onions, cremini mushrooms, garlic, tomato paste, the seared beef, plus the bacon used to render the fat earlier. The liquid is provided by Guinness (yes, Guinness) and chicken stock. You braise it at 325 F for 2.5 hours.

I never have really liked stews, but this is delicious and has some very interesting flavors. The Guinness is in the background and contributes some coffee, chocolate, and perhaps even caramel notes. The sauce is not watery, thanks to some addition of flour. It's velvety and wonderful!

Looking back at all of the chilis, stews, and other braised dishes (including my 2018 crock-pot phase) I've done, this is the best I have ever done, without question.

Tomorrow, I am going to do part 2, which is to place the cooled stew into a pan and drape a sheet of puff pastry atop it and brown that up making a pot pie.

Name:	IMG-5283.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1160160

I served it with some homemade garlic-parsley-parmesan butter on toast.

Name:	IMG-5284.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1160161

Also, my house smells amazing right now.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Guinness, fer me, is an Indispensible cookin component...

So, it’s my turn to follow an Ernest burger. πŸ˜” Hatch chile jack cheese. Brioche bun.

Name:	14AB59BE-4F7E-433B-BF65-6006ECECEB47.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	1160196

Comment

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        Gorgeous burger!! How does one get that into one's mouth, though?!

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you eat that? How's your heart??

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        The burger is actually smaller than it looks. And I smash it down before biting. 🀣

Pozole was one of the first dishes that cboss made that really blew my mind.

We made it again tonight. Freezer pork shoulder, house dried chile mix, garnished with cabbage, onion, oregano, watermelon radish, limon, avocado. It came out fantastic.

Edit: house chile mix: guajillo, pasilla, and cascabel. Toasted, then rehydrated. 3/4 cup rehydrating water reserved.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1190(1).jpg Views:	84 Size:	121.0 KB ID:	1160209

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1199.jpg Views:	84 Size:	115.7 KB ID:	1160206

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1206.jpg Views:	84 Size:	178.2 KB ID:	1160208

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1202.jpg Views:	83 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	1160207
      Last edited by gboss; January 16, 2022, 02:46 PM. Reason: chili->chile, added chile names.

Comment

• gboss
        gboss commented
        Editing a comment
        barelfly cboss and I each had a big mug full. Going to bring some to a colleague who has a broken bone tomorrow. Having you say it looks good means a lot! Thanks!
        Edit: we each had about a pint and there are 3qt leftover.
        Last edited by gboss; January 16, 2022, 12:31 AM.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm waiting for my Rancho Gordo shipment to arrive (they announced a restock of their hominy a few days ago.) I may be reaching out to barelfly or cboss for advice!

• gboss
        gboss commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr. Pepper we were disappointed that we couldn't get any RG hominy in our last order. But the local ethnic grocer came through and had both dried and canned.

Braised Beef short ribs as described by Chef Jacob Burton. And cauliflower mash as described by Sam the Cooking Guy.

look at that marbling!!! πŸ‘€

Also, my son tested positive yesterday, so I’m almost 110% have it too (mild symptoms). But I was still able to pull off the cook!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        That is one well-marbled roast!

• tamidw
        tamidw commented
        Editing a comment
        Hope your family recovers quickly and symptoms mild.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Like for the cook, not the covid lol

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here