Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some smoked beef chuck ribs on the grilla og. 250 until done. Veterans bbq beef rub. Sublime.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BC0B8E99-6CCE-4904-A96E-CA479D39FE95.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	1152640

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper these were the creekstone chuck ribs that reg feature in their sales. Would highly recommend.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      This or brisket is my favorite.

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter one of these days ill knock out a brisket that looks like something people post on here but it hasnt happened yet!

BBQ is obviously the best way to start the new year so we decided to do a Texas-style 18lbs prime brisket. After reviewing Franklin's Brisket Masterclass, the brisket went on the MAK 2-star just as the ball started to drop in NYC.

​
    We started at 255 and after three hours the temp was bumped up to 265.
    At 07:30 it was looking good after a spritz.

​
    The brisket was wrapped in butcher paper at around the 9-hour mark and was pulled at 11:30 with the IT at 201. We pulled it based on how it felt vs. the internal temp.

​
    ​
    ​
    This was our first brisket on the MAK 2-star and it was awesome. Nice bark, good smoke flavor and very moist.
    Definitely a great way to start 2022. Happy New Year, y'all!

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      That's excellent!

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure if it's just me but no pics are showing?

Last night (NYE) -- chicken in the style of porchetta (boned, flattened, covered with prosciutto and shallots and spinach, rolled up, trussed in its own skin, roasted.

Today, brisket. (see video) With black eyed peas, because my late father, a new orleans native, insisted on a dish of hopping john every new years day. Also, prosecco (does brisket go with prosecco? I guess we'll find out.) And cream puffs. Because Mrs. Sharq makes the best damn cream puffs ever.

planned brisket for twelve, but only five people have stuck around for diner, so there's about to be a lot of pretty smoking leftovers here in southeast RI...

fast and slow fires:

Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice video!

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      That chicken dish is really fascinating.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh that wrapped boneless chicken got my attention!!!

It turns out I owe everyone a huge apology. In doing some pantry straightening earlier in the week, I discovered that I only managed to cook half of my Super Lucky 2021 Black Eyed Peas from Rancho Gordo. I'm sure that's why 2022 is starting just like 2021.

Name:	2022-01-01 10.38.09.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1152731
    The only proper offering for salvaging things was to cook them up with the glorious ham bone I saved from our Christmas double smoked ham.

Name:	2022-01-01 10.55.32.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1152732

Our greens this week from the CSA were spinach instead of collards or turnip greens, but I went with it.

Name:	2022-01-01 14.07.24.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1152733

And I always put the rice right in my Hoppin' John so that it's a one-dish meal.

Name:	2022-01-01 18.01.21.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1152734

Happy New Year, everyone!

Comment

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m using Rancho Gordo 2021 black eyed peas today as well 😞. Mine went into some Texas caviar.

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      No no no… Jim White since you didn’t use all the 2021s, that why 2021 s*cked. But, you have redeemed yourself by using the rest. 2022 will be awesome!

Yours truly,
      Pollyanna

🤣

Beef tenderloin with Brussels and bacon with a honey pepper glaze.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Gorgeous. Both the beef and the brussels!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      That meal is on point

• DavidNorcross
      DavidNorcross commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Sir.

cboss made peas and collards for New Year's Day. I contributed smoked turkey and there were some homemade bacon ends that got used.

Browned butter cornbread.

Did a New Years Eve brisket Thursday into Friday that also came out very well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gboss; January 3, 2022, 08:16 PM. Reason: Added two more brisket photos

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      gboss Care to share your brisket technique, smoker, etc. That is one of the juicier brisket slices to have appeared recently. (Up there with Spinaker 's waygu.)

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper this was trimmed in the "Aaron Franklin" school of 'don't cook what won't turn out"

Dry brine a day ahead. On a rack in a hotel pan. Covered.

Akorn smoker. JD hardwood lump. Backyard white oak for smoke.

Salt, pepper, little bit of lawry's.

200-225F pit temp to start. Water pan. Get the thick smoke out of the way. Cold meat from fridge to grate. Wrap tightly when bark looks good. Cook until floppy. Rest and serve. This was a Costco prime packer.

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      frailinryan thank you!

The brisket was also "wet aged" (sat in the fridge until I had the opportunity to cook it) in the cryovac packaging for about 40 days. No idea if this made any difference in taste. I bought it because it was inexpensive and I knew I could hold onto it for a while before cooking it.

I was able to cook rib roasts for both Christmas and New Years. This one was twelve lbs with bones. I smoked the rib bones on New Year's Eve. The roast was dry brined for 24 hours, then covered with Mrs. O'Leary's Cow Crust. I smoked it on the kettle around 225 deg until internal temp of 115, then seared it over the Slow N' Sear.

Happy New Year!

Name:	20211231_165931.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	1152794 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220101_155145_330.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1152795 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220101_200831_380.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	1152796 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220101_200831_389.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1152797 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220101_200831_416.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	1152798

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn, that's perfect! Quite the dilemma: eat a rib and feel full, or eat the roast and feel too full to eat a rib. (There are worse dilemmas.)

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh boy.

My Michigan Wolverines got boatraced by Georgia last night but at least we had some good Buffalo wings and smoked Texas chili to enjoy.

Oven baked wings with your standard Franks and melted butter buffalo sauce.

Chili was my standard Texas chili but was made with leftover smoked brisket. Served with rice, cheese and Fritos.

Name:	21C89AE6-A764-4CDD-B304-85F716316638.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	1152804

Name:	9205CB15-1521-4EFD-A316-0FB9104A927B.jpeg
Views:	305
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1152802

Name:	20639A8F-0702-44C8-849F-A45FDEF9CD18.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	1152803

Comment

Coq Au Vin. As taught to me by a true classically trained Chef. After many tries...I finally got the flavor and texture right as intended by Julia Childs and others. Mrs. Troymeister (Linda) told me this was as good or better than the other side of the Pond.

Name:	IMG_6444.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	1152822

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        This is a dish you think will be easy but is not at all. Congrats for getting it done correctly. I never have. I’m jealous.

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Outstanding!! That’s the great grandfather of Troutman’s Country Chicken !!

Bacon & Maple Bourbon Glazed Pork Tenderloin with Collard Greens & Potatoes, Cabbage Steaks, and Crab Cakes for the 1st meal of the New Year. Black-eyed Peas were devoured in some "Cowboy Caviar" earlier! Wishing everyone a blessed, healthy and prosperous 2022! #twbarbecue
      Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful meal! And, thanks for the well-wishes. Same to you and yours!

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Best looking tenderloin i have seen in a while. I always botch mine unless I chop it out or roll it with a stuffing.

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        ummmm...yes please!

I did some pork rib chops on my new Chimp and they turned out excellent! I stumbled upon a recipe by Susie Bulloch (Hey Grill Hey): https://heygrillhey.com/smoked-pork-chops/

I also used her sweet rub, which went very well with the pork. (It is brown sugar heavy and to me, this gave the pork some candied notes that were really interesting with the rest of the spices, especially the smoked paprika.)

You can't get any simpler than this. Kicked the Chimp up to 225 F, patted the rub on the chops and in they went for about 90 minutes. Susie remarked that one technique to try to get moister chops is to cook them low and slow. I do think it made a difference, especially as I am used to cooking chops at 400 F in the oven. These chops were not dry at all and if I hadn't made them myself, I would have thought I had brined them! I pulled them at 145 F.

I debated whether or not to forward or reverse sear the chops (she presents this as an option in the video for the recipe), but I elected not to. I think this turned out better not sear (I didn't miss the sear at all) as the sugar might have burned using this particular rub.

Perfect meal when you want something simple, cheap (the two chops were $4.66 total), and easy if you've got the time to do it low and slow.

Name:	IMG-5244.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1152832

Comment

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great. Big fan of Hey Grill Hey

Blackened catfish with a side of blackened shrimp. Oh yeah.

Name:	83EDB24F-758E-48FE-8F77-5C335ED0CCA6.jpeg
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	1152841

Name:	CEAFF1A9-90AE-41B3-80D3-F9A4294AB6E9.jpeg
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	1152842

Name:	B71A586E-36CC-4DA7-BE82-8290AD25331F.jpeg
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1152843

Name:	6F7DF3CD-3363-4D69-BE26-756A9D0855BD.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	1152844

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Shrimp are also bad luck on new years... hope it is just a rumor.

Last night my wife cooked herself some salmon while I opted for a thick pork chop. I front seared the chop turning every 30 sec, and when I was satisfied, I put it on the indirect side. It was pulled at 139°. Sides were asparagus and taters fried with chopped garlic and sliced onions. One of the better chops I have cooked because it turned out very juicy. I let my wife try it and she thought it was good.

Name:	20211231_183119[1].jpg
Views:	332
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	1152846

Comment

Brisket burnt ends with a leftover point and Texas caviar with Rancho Gordo black eyed peas.

Name:	BC67B78C-5EED-4AD2-8B10-89F7F2725B10.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	1152849 Click image for larger version

Name:	49ACEF2A-5D10-4BB6-8ED3-55ECDEC9A2F3.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	1152850

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Any chance of sharing the Texas caviar recipe? Looks great.

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Jim White It’s a NY Times recipe that I saved to Paprika. I appear to be out of free views. Here’s a link to the page with the recipe. I followed it pretty closely except used dry beans and doubled the black eyed peas and didn’t use black beans.
        Depending on where you’re from, this simple dip is known as cowboy caviar or Texas caviar, and it’s a favorite at tailgates and potlucks all over the South Its creator, Helen Corbitt, a dietitian from New York, had never heard of black-eyed peas when she moved to Texas in 1931 The exact details are fuzzy, but at some point in her 40 years working in restaurants there, she combined black-eyed peas with a simple vinaigrette, and it was a big hit

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks!

Made HeyGrilHey's Hot Dog Burnt Ends for a NYE party on the PBC...definitely a keeper recipe...

Name:	DC846902-FF19-4240-8DF4-C572B0E6E1ED.jpg
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	1152856

Name:	42307263-2A71-4A60-B346-CA3547BB98DF.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	1152854

Name:	39B0AA2B-D157-43F8-8159-AB04ED9E5D7C.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	1152855

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        PBC, PBC, PBC!

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Very interested, how were they?

• clb239
        clb239 commented
        Editing a comment
        texastweeter they came out really good. My sister said they are a keeper, which is saying alot...

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here