Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New York Cheesecake - all ready to go for tomorrow. I’m hoping to get a photo after I take the springform pan apart, as well as a slice that will be served with either cherries or blue berries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	184694A2-7644-42E3-A21C-74E81FBA2CBA.jpeg
Views:	345
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1148118

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Dude....I'm on my way....

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      NY cheesecake is one of the foods that is so good it short circuits all usual methods of self control. I could eat it until I got physically sick. Great job! Can't wait to see it sliced and topped!

Christmas Eve dinner with the fam. Sister hosted and made her crock pot pulled pork. I offered to smoke a butt instead but she insisted her family likes it done her way but I was welcome to make one. So I smoked a pork butt with Memphis dust for everyone else with taste buds. Needless to say I had no leftovers on my end and her kids ate the smoked pork butt as well. Made Lexington dip and the Columbia gold sauce as well. No finished product pictures but lots of happy faces. Hope everyone has a great time with family these next few days.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful meteor! I once brought a 'competing' dish to my sister's house for an invited dinner, and she got all sulky. ☹️ Thin ice!

• IdSmokeThat
      IdSmokeThat commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper she seemed very sulky ! Almost felt like I did something bad

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, she was proud of her crockpot pulled pork, and you brought a superior product. And, you are siblings. So....... (I speak out of sympathy, not accusation.)

ps: Next time bring some boiled or microwaved ribs.

Reverse-seared Beef Tenderloin for Christmas Eve dinner! Smoked at 225° until IT came to 110° then seared off until IT was about 128°/129° then let it rest! Delicious!
    Attached Files

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow!!

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Gorgeous!

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      You hit that on outta the park....nice cook

Christmas Eve Prime Rib, Homemade Green Bean Casserole, Twice Baked Potato.

SV 133 degrees for 9.5 hours, dropped in ice water for 10 minutes. Seared with Garlic compound butter sitting in a shallow pan to catch the juices on the Weber SnS as hot as I could get it. Delicious...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6409.JPG Views:	29 Size:	2.58 MB ID:	1148249
    Last edited by troymeister; December 25, 2021, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Smoked my first chuck roast yesterday. This is a 4.5 lb Click Akaushi wagyu chuck roast, dry brined 40 hours.

Click image for larger version  Name:	chuck1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.27 MB ID:	1148259

BBBR rub

Click image for larger version  Name:	chuck2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.56 MB ID:	1148260

Onto the SnS Kamado (in kamado mode) at 225o with a little beer in the drip pan below it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	chuck3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.77 MB ID:	1148256

Had a little trouble, the wind really picked up at sunset and blew right into the vents, fire got away from me: billowing white smoke. I pulled the meat and shut it down for a few minutes which, due to distractions, ended up being long enough to smother the fire completely. I restarted it and brought the temperature to 275o to speed things up. Wrapped half way through the stall (lasted a little over an hour) and pulled at 205o at 2am, wrapped in a towel and placed into a cooler. At 8am this is what it looked like:

Click image for larger version  Name:	chuck4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.92 MB ID:	1148258

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_162556.jpg Views:	3 Size:	5.00 MB ID:	1148257

Pulled (and tasted). Very rich and buttery.

Click image for larger version  Name:	chuck6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.63 MB ID:	1148255

Breakfast, served on jalapeno cheddar slider buns and a little 1701 BBQ sauce. This cook, with downtime, lasted 12 hours but it was worth it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	chuck7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.04 MB ID:	1148254

Anyone who wants to try Akaushi Wagyu can order from Click Akaushi and get a 10% discount thanks to the artist formerly known as Zero_Credit ( STEbbq ) here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...kaushibeef-com
      Last edited by 58limited; December 25, 2021, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice result, after the mid-cook fire acrobatics!

the beef rub is beyond awesome

Name:	DDEBF244-FB7F-43B9-A935-246B6447C578.jpeg
Views:	334
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1148283

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Couldn’t agree more. I used it on my brisket yesterday. Best beef rub I’ve ever used. My search is over.

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate it!

Had a bit over half a pound remaining from the pigsket I smoked the other day, so I cubed it up, heated on the stovetop in a bit of butter, and used it for taco filling along with the usual suspects lettuce, tomato, shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole. Also drizzled on some real-deal New Mexico Santa Fe Ole red chile sauce, which has a wonderful earthy flavor that complemented the smoked pork. ¡Delicioso!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211225_105129.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.50 MB ID:	1148293
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20211225_105214.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.22 MB ID:	1148291
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20211225_110116.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.39 MB ID:	1148292
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20211225_110154.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	1148290
      Sorry a little blurry on that last one, that taco was a handful, not easy to manipulate the phone...

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        TACOS!!!!!!

Two days ago…. Sausage time

Name:	6525307E-E60D-4974-8528-CF62D40D3EA7.jpeg
Views:	328
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	1148298

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Nighttime hog hunting!

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh Geez...At first glance I thought it was a dog...lol. Then I saw the hoof....Reminded me of Goodfellas.

• BFlynn
        BFlynn commented
        Editing a comment
        Soooooie

Curious to see how long this frozen little beast will take.

Name:	20211225_105850.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	1148305

Comment

Feast of the Seven Fishes Christmas Eve dinner:

1. Caesar Salad (1. anchovies)

Name:	PXL_20211225_002739488-01.jpeg
Views:	348
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	1148337

2. Seafood Linguini (2. Clams, 3. Shrimp, 4. Lobster tails, 5. Sea scallops, 6. Salmon, 7. Crabmeat)

Name:	PXL_20211225_005409678-01.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	1148338
        3. Not pictured - Fried Calamari (bonus #8) because I forgot to take a photo. (Yeah, I know, didn't happen. . . But it was really delicious!)

Also not pictured is the garlic bread which got inadvertently left in the oven to burn to a crisp. ☹️
        🎄🎄🎄

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          RolfTaylor - True, it can be. This wasn't. 🤷‍♂️
          troymeister - I know, right? The thing is, it was perfectly done - too early! I put it back in the oven just to warm up, didn't set a timer and forgot about it. Oh, well.
          Dr. Pepper - Prime rib today!👍
          Last edited by Dewesq55; December 25, 2021, 01:28 PM.

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          I wasn't going to say a thing but since it happened to someone else, well..... I had 4 garlic rolls under the oven grill to crisp up and when I remembered and opened the oven door the tops burst into flames. Fortunately they weren't completely doomed and I had another 4 that I did with a better success.

• theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          Fantastic! No one said you can't pile 6 of the 7 fish in one dish!. Love it.
          Buon Natale!

Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice, Happy New Year, etc, everyone.

I don't do cooking on Christmas, but often I do something for Christmas Eve, And indeed, this year it was Rib Roast.

After reading through Meathead's advice, I reluctantly decided to cut off the ribs. The reverse sear technique I embraced with no reluctance at all. Instead of the dry rub I went with a crust I have used before (herbs and mustard). First the pictures, and then the commentary:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2647.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.31 MB ID:	1148344
        Here it is after I forced it into a cylinder and tied it.

I deliberately put the forceps in the picture to remind me to comment on how useful they were. I pulled the string tight, held it with one finger and then used them to hoid it while I finished the knot. It worked very well to get the string nice and tight.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2649.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.74 MB ID:	1148345
        Here it is again, ready to go into the Big (medium) Green Egg. I had the convector in the egg, and my drip pan/platter filled with veggies on the convector, with the grate on top of that.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2650.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	1148347
        Potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots all finished. I put them in the Weber propane grill to keep warm as I seared the roast. They were in the grill the entire time the roast cooked, but since I was cooking low and slow (~225) they didn't over cook.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2651.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.59 MB ID:	1148346
        Off the grill ready to carve.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2654.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.24 MB ID:	1148348
        Searing was complete at about 127 degrees, so I let it sit for a few minutes til it got to 130 before carving. Just as Meathead promised, medium rare edge to edge! mmmmmm!

Notes and comments:

Using my crust recipe was a mistake. It works very well for traditional roasting, but much of it stuck to the grate during the sear process. Next time a dry rub it is!

As soon as I cut the string I could see medium rare meat in the crack that opened up. I knew at that point that it was going to be evenly medium rare throughout. That was exciting indeed!

I am a big fan of fat so I left the fat cap on. Another mistake (trust Meathead). During the sear stage I was getting enough flare ups that I couldn't leave it on as long as I would have preferred. It was seared (I even did the ends) but it could have been more so. Consequently it wasn't at 130 degrees when the sear was done, so I had to rest it till it got up to 130.

Note to self - got to get me a firebrick wrapped in foil to help with balancing. I was able to prop it adequately, but it would be easier.

Given no 2 zone in an egg (especially a medium) I put it in the Weber propane between the time I took it and the veggies off, and had the fire stoked up to max. That worked well. I preheated it and then turned off all but one burner which I left on low.

I continue to really like Rockwood Charcoal. I doubt I will be experimenting any further as it works so well.

$5.99/Lb Choice beef from Giant was ok, but not as good as other $5.99 beef rib roasts I have had in the past. Always something of a crap shoot with meat. If I can repeat yesterday's performance a second time I might consider spending more sometime as a treat. The technique worked well.

There's a reason Lawry's Prime Rib restaurants have seasoned salt at every table. Just a bit of this definitely amped things up with this particular beef.

While I don't have room for it in this kitchen, a lamp (or 2) with an infrared bulb could be a very nice thing to consider when designing a dream kitchen. 130 degree meat doesn't stay hot for long. Seconds are pretty much guaranteed to be luke warm. I would strongly suggest pre-heating your serving platter and your guest's plates.

Thank you Meathead and to everyone here in the pit. This was a great culmination to a great grilling/barbecue year!
        Last edited by RolfTaylor; December 25, 2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks amazing. I toyed with doing reverse sear this year, but concerns about timing are stopping me, yet again since I do a big feast for Christmas Eve and need a break before turning around to Christmas Day. The locking forceps idea is brilliant! I have a pair in my guitar repair and setup box (one of them🙄) and will have to give them a try for tying up roasts and trussing poultry.
          Last edited by Dewesq55; December 25, 2021, 01:31 PM.

• RolfTaylor
          RolfTaylor commented
          Editing a comment
          I like those mini potatoes (particularly since I limit my consumption). Aldi's sells a combo with half red & half gold babies. I cut in 1/2 or 1/3. I oil that platter and the potatoes go in first with the skin side up. Then the sweet potatoes with the carrots on top. The picture is after I mixed them up. I bought that metal platter for my turkey at Thanksgiving and made gravy in it. I went to 4 different stores to something to fit in BGE. This time it went right to the table with the veggies.

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          RolfTaylor Does that hemostat imply a connection to the medical field, or is it simply a repurposed roach clip?

Turkey got the old thumbs down this year so smoking this 4lb sirloin tip
        Dry brined over night with Texas 1836 rub
        Smoking on Fogo lump with cherry wood chunks and a handful of maple bourbon chips
        Right outta the fridge gave it a coating of my dry rub and onto the grate
        The Keg is hanging in there at about 270
        Stay tuned for updates
        ....and Merry Christmas
        Attached Files

Comment

Name:	IMG-0290.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1148358

CAB 7-bone rib roast has been chillin with some salt in the fridge since Wednesday night.

Name:	IMG-0302.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	1148359

Roasted bones to make stock for gravy. When I went to the butcher for the marrow bones, they had beef back bones on sale (cheaper than the marrow bones), so I picked those up too. Blanched the bones, discarded water. cboss was thinking of veal demi glace when she told me to rub the bones with tomato paste before roasting them. Didn't hurt anything and will be a nice umami addition.

Name:	IMG-0253.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	1148361
          Tasted the rib meat after straining the stock: tastes like absolutely nothing. Perfect, all the flavor went into the stock.

Name:	IMG-0282.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	1148362

Rubbed my 7-boner in light olive oil and used Meathead Mrs. Oleary Cow Crust with added urfa biber.

Name:	IMG-0308.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	1148363

Threw on the Akorn with the stock and more aromatics underneath to catch drippings.

Name:	IMG-0325.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	1148360

Merry Christmas!!! I hope Santa was nice to all you Pitmasters out there.

I'm hoping this beef turns out spectacularly!!

Comment

• gboss
            gboss commented
            Editing a comment
            Dewesq55 do you typically blanch the bones when making stock? I was always worried about throwing away flavor in the discarded water. But I followed a recipe for tail soup that had me blanch those. After doing it again this time, I am converted. Virtually no skimming necessary. I hate skimming a stock.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            gboss - I don't blanch the bones. But, after roasting I make the stock in the Instant Pot, so there's never any skimming. 😁

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            The bone cut just ups the presentation, as TheRock mentions! Really cool!

Christmas turkey before and after shots, smoked on my PBX!
          Attached Files

Comment

• gboss
            gboss commented
            Editing a comment
            Great color! So dark! How did the skin turn out?

So we did Christmas ham for Christmas eve and Christmas Turkey for Christmas day. Both roasted on offset smoker at c.a. 160-180°C for 3-4h.

All in pretty happy. I think the (cured) ham pipped it.
          Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here