Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time making Mickey Mouse shaped pancakes. Turned out pretty good! I’m trying really really hard for my kids to think I’m the coolest dad ever.
    Attached Files

Comment

Got my dryrun on the xmas dinner cooking in the oven.. pork ribside. (porkbelly,ish)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20211212_152930~2.jpg Views:	24 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	1141094
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Elton's BBQ; December 12, 2021, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      @Elton’s BBQ looks like flaekesteg. I remember this cut was ordered a lot at my old job.

Finally nailed an SVQ brisket. A few months back I bought a prime packer. I trimmed, then a few weeks ago separated the flat from the point. I dropped the flat into SV (155 for 24 hours), then ice bath and cooked the next day for 2 hours on indirect Weber with SNS at 300 with apple wood). I then put the 8 pound point in the freezer. Unfortunately, the flat was a "semi-failure" and IMO was dry but flavorful.

Yesterday I removed the point from the freezer and put it into SV at 155 for 24 hours. No rub, salt, pepper, spices, herbs, etc. . . .went in 'neked. No ice bath this time. Instead, I removed the purge and made a board sauce. I removal the meat, patted it dry, then covered in liberal amounts of Worchester sauce, Montreal, and coarse ground pepper. Then straight into the kettle at 300 degrees (using KB Pro) for 2 hours with apple wood for smoke. At the end of the cook I moved to a quick sear but all I managed to do was mess up the beautiful bark.

The result was most likely the best meat I have ever cooked regardless of cut or method. It had a very bold beef flavor, was extremely juicy/moist, good smoke and unbelievably tender . . . . really tender. There were no knives needed at the dinner table as it was fork tender. I ate so much I hurt !

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket Point.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	1141117

Name:	Brisket Point 2.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	1141118

Now my dilemma/question is what is the best way to reheat brisket without overcooking this beautiful meat.

Comment

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd reheat in a SV bath.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      RustyHaines We have a steam oven, and a combination of steam and convection heat works well. Also, the microwave works well for reheating without drying (he said, ducking under the table to avoid the firebricks being lobbed his way 😬.)

The problem with Sundays at my house.... everyone wakes up at their own time BUT expect a hot breakfast. Even the puppy

Name:	PXL_20211212_160844379.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	1141143 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211212_143437838~2.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	1141144 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211211_161658924 (1).jpg
Views:	305
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	1141145 ​​​​​​
    Sous vide chicken and carrots for the puppy. He's obsessed with this dish.

Name:	PXL_20211201_143054215.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1141146 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      We all want to eat at Ernest's place! What's the filling in the French Toast sandwich with maple syrup?

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper one with Nutella and the other is strawberry cream cheese

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      This bears repeating…. Next time I’m in Dallas visiting my sister, I am going to show up on Ernest front door.

Finishing picture of my Pork Belly! I cooked this "Texas-Style" which I guess means cover it with a salt and pepper rub and smoke it with oak........This turned out really great. And it was stick to your bones good after that snow storm. So barky and delicious. Seriously, if you don't like pork belly, that might be something you need to check out with your doctor.

Name:	F722444D-DAEC-4358-A9D8-16BDD1F603E7.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	1141155

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I did this on my Egg. Just set it up early, went out and did a bunch of stuff in the morning and came back to pork belly nirvana! Although a KBD'd version is for sure in the works. Sid P

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      I've only ever made bacon out of belly. What temp do you cook it to?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Cook that baby all the way to about 200 F. Until she is like Jellllllly! You will never go back. I really do not even make bacon anymore. I just smoke these slabs now. Andrrr

Turkey I did earlier this week on my Pitbarrel. I used meatheads pork rub. The slight sweetness tasted pretty good with the turkey.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking turkey!

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks delicious. Great color.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Fantastic !

Click image for larger version  Name:	0AEA323F-3174-4F09-A744-3BD4433D8D98.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.07 MB ID:	1141206
    1 lb. fresh, never frozen Sockeye with some salt, pepper, and fresh dill on the Yoder for an hour and a half at 200F.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	96DF92C6-854A-4B06-B136-7D2DCCDED0F9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.92 MB ID:	1141207
    Last edited by Draznnl; December 12, 2021, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd love to have a taste of that Salmon..

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry Elton's BBQ but yummy-vision hasn't been invented yet.

Brined a brisket flat, sous vide for corned beef, smoked for pastrami.

Name:	6AF4130A-C23F-46F4-817B-B403D0B4A2AA.jpeg
Views:	384
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	1141228

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Done right with marbled rye bread!!!!

• vscottcolorado
      vscottcolorado commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks amazing!!! I have 2 flats in brine right now come out tomorrow. 1 for Pastrami and 1 for Corned Beef. Hope mines comes out looking like yours.

today on the 560 madterbuilt and the weber gasser
    made pork chops in a lime tequila glaze beer bath baby potatoes, cherry tomatoes, black olives and capers with paul prudhome season, and a grilled salsa topping with onion,jalepeno, avacados, tomatoes with a dash of tequila..

Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh those chops, even love that olive salad !!

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Man, that looks good! That last photo! Me want.

Smoked and InstaPot-ed barbacoa de Res all packed up for it's trip to a friends B-day party last night. Started out with 5 quarts and ended up with slightly more than a pint leftover. I'd say it was a hit.

Name:	IMG_5974.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	1141295

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      My man, loves me some barbacoa!!!!

I had a hankerin' for Al Pastor again. Pork Shoulder, 7lbs. Made the marinade from scratch, 24 hr soak. Decided to cook on the Akorn Kamado using a deflector plate for indirect heat. Cooked at around 280 to 300 until temp of 155 internal. I was hoping for a better plating but hunger took over. I hope ya'll understand ;-) .
    Attached Files

Comment

Unlike Ernest , my wife and I only have one Sunday brunch to make. (Advantage of being retired with grown kids out of house.)
      Avocado toast, fried egg, separated by a little bacon.

( gboss You might recognized the coffee cup? )

Name:	IMG_9881.jpeg
Views:	330
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1141320

Comment

• gboss
        gboss commented
        Editing a comment
        The food looks great, but I am really impressed by the coffee cup. I actually just went there for the my first time recently. We sat outside in the cold, which is good if your dinner includes savory gelato. My wife had the Arrosticini Biasini (lamb bacon skewers) and that came with a scoop of mustard gelato. Highly recommended place. You obviously know what you're doing in Phila.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John I put in the request today, so I'll be Dr. Pepper before the New Year arrives. Before the birthday of baby Jesus. Before Kwanzaa. Before the next Ramadan. Before....well, you get the idea.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        gboss After a niece's wedding in Covington KY, I wanted to find a destination from there to where we could get a non-stop back to Seattle. PHL has a non-stop on Alaska to SEA. So, that was our first visit. The downtown is very walkable, and we passed by Gran Caffé L'Aquila, wondered what it was doing in the states. We ended up having our double caps there every morning. And, their Pistachio gelato is one of the best we have ever had. Bought a couple of their ceramic coffee cups. Memories.

Name:	PXL_20211212_192551584.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	1141348 Time for daddy to sit down and ponder on the upcoming week
      ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Wait, didn't you just finish breakfast!!

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Dr. Pepper for my people, yes. I only eat once a day, I prefer that later in the day.

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        I think I’m gonna make that my next avatar, I will be irresistible!

Started with some smoked cream cheese after inspiration from the pit. Sliced a pork tenderloin from the pig we had butchered late summer, coated in flour and browned. Made some buttermilk biscuits and added smoked mashed potatoes and gravy. Now going to sleep til morning.
      Attached Files

Comment

Rotisserie duck with potatoes cooking confit style in the rendered fat. The duck was delicious but the potatoes were amazing! Finished the duck with a honey, orange juice, ginger, and garlic glaze.

Name:	20211212_172624.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1141389 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211212_180547.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	1141388 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211212_180555.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	1141387

Comment

• gboss
          gboss commented
          Editing a comment
          I did something similar when I smoked a duck. Aren't those potatoes some of the best you've ever had?

Did you do anything special to prep the duck? What pit temps did you cook at? Were you happy with the way the skin came out?

Great job, and nice looking cook!

• Zman23
          Zman23 commented
          Editing a comment
          gboss The potatoes were amazing! I stabbed the skin 100 times to help with fat escape and just used salt and pepper on the duck. I made a honey and orange juice glaze to go with it. Didn't monitor the temp, just split a chimney of charcoal on each side of the potatoes. Skin turned out nice and crispy. Duck was awesome and potatoes were amazing!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here