Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As y’all know I acquired a PK 360 much to my wife’s chagrin as it arrived fully assembled and delivered (helps when your buddy owns the BBQ store).

Did my first smoking cook this weekend. I have a pellet grill which I love, but, I had played some games with the PK and felt I was up for the challenge.

I smoked a Creekstone Farm’s Duroc pork butt. I dry brined with "Eat" BBQ rub for 18 hours then added more of it and MMD immediately before the cook.

Set the PK for 2 zone cooking, shooting for temps between 225-250, and smoked for 5 hours before wrapping (my son, who is home for the holidays from college, made plans for us) so instead of cooking nekkid I wrapped. Used Jealous Devil large lump charcoal (which I really liked) and post oak chunks. After wrapping I bumped temps to 300.

The PK was easy to control temps and I need to learn patience and to give the cooler time to adjust to my changes to the vents and likely stop messing with the vents. The charcoal burned very cleanly and I re-banked the coals twice and added fuel once.

My wife, son, and I liked the pork lots. Was super tender and juicy. Offspring did note there was more smoke flavor than on the Yoder.

Next time I’ll add a bit more wood and try to mess less!

Any thoughts or critiques are welcome! Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year to you all!

Sweaty Paul!

Attached Files

Comment

Time to close this volume 23, Fall 2021 edition down as we move into Volume 24, Winter 2021/2022. Please use the new SUWYC to show off your cooks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here