Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-9597.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	1137883

Made smashburgers tonight. I had ground up brisket trim from the double brisket cook the other weekend and had portioned out and frozen it as 2oz balls. Used the Kenji guide to smashburgers.

Onion roll, griddled. Mostly caramelized onions (lost patience at 45m, needed a little bit more), Cooper Sharp American Cheese. Homemade bacon.
    Sweet potato oven fries and steamed broccoli.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-9601.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	1137882

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      gboss since you have acknowledged my disdain for ketchup on burgers, i would appreciate you not showing ketchup. JK not really… 🤣

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome looking sandwich and fries. What’s that green stuff? Garnish?? 😂

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman I subscribe to the Mitch Hedberg school of nutrition:
      ""That would be cool if you could eat a good food with a bad food and the good food would cover for the bad food when it got to your stomach. Like you could eat a carrot with an onion ring and they would travel down to your stomach, then they would get there, and the carrot would say, 'It's cool, he's with me.'"

aka a balanced diet Protein, starch, veg. (okay, and a lot of other crap on the burger)😂

My wife accidentally bought a jug of low sodium V8 juice - that stuff is nasty, unlike the full sodium version. So, I looked up what to do with it and found minestrone soup. Gave it a try... not the best minestrone I've ever had, but edible...

A delightful, hearty minestrone in the crockpot using low-sodium V8 juice as a base...so flavorful that you don't need the salt!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211204_194337.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1137897 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211204_195802.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1137898

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Use the v8 as drain cleaner? Glad the soup turned out.

Related, maybe….. I get my pecorino Romano cheese from a local guy. I save the rinds and put in soups, etc. game changer!

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn we do that with the rinds as well, though I didn't think to do it this time. Thanks for the reminder.
      Last edited by treesmacker; December 6, 2021, 09:01 PM.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya can always add salt! 😎

Beef Dino Rib!!! Smoked low and slow at 250° for 3 hrs followed by a 2 1/2 braise! Delicious!!!
    Attached Files

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Great wib!

Made some clam chowder and biscuits last night - a nice dinner after the Christmas parade.

I went with country ham and roasted poblanos to give it just a little more interest, and I'd call it a success.

Name:	20211205_190612.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1137968 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211205_190648.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1137970 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211205_135147.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	1137969

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s still to hot here for clam chowder but that looks good!

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      smokenoob 😁It wasn't really chowder weather here, either.... But I really wanted to make some!

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks Great! It's Chowder weather here today. 9* F before wind chill.

I tried out my new Onlyfire rotisserie setup yesterday. Thanks to everyone who responded to my first time rotisserie post https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...setup-question your input was a big help. The cook was a big success. I injected a pasture raised chicken I got from Crowd Cow with Butcher's Blend Bird Booster, then seasoned it with Meathead's Poultry rub. Sorry I don't have any prep photos, I got a late start on the cook. Have a great day everyone!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Good looking bird. How’d you wind up doing your charcoal setup? I saw your post but I didn’t have much to add to what the others said.

Just read your post and saw you went with the baskets. I was wondering, only 45 minutes on the cook? When I’ve done a whole chicken before it usually takes me a good 1 1/2 hours or so. Did it come out ok?
      Last edited by Panhead John; December 6, 2021, 12:56 PM.

Sunday is always a good day for smoke and yesterday was no exception. I got to fire up the Bronco for a pair of SLC slabs.

Name:	trozzo_211205_014-Edit.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	1138159

Name:	trozzo_211205_102-Edit.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1138158

Name:	trozzo_211205_115-Edit.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	1138161

Name:	trozzo_211205_137-Edit.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	1138160

Comment

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      new2smoking -Let me know when it happens. I’ll eat there!

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John -No. I have intended, but each time at least one is too long and touches the diffuser. If it was a bit lower it would be fine. I prefer a full slab so I haven't cut any in half. Though the bottoms look over charred, they are not. They are still edible and delicious. I have observed once, that if a rack is hanging directly below the smokestack, the bottom of those ribs has burned. There is something special about hanging them right over the fire. My wife said, "best ever"!

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan -Yes!

Shackmeister Double, a/k/a double smash burger with cheese, Fake Shack sauce and crispy fried onions on a toasted buttered bun. MMMM, MMMM Good!

Name:	PXL_20211206_232013483-01.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	1138307

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      Drool!

Sous vide and seared NY strip…for the kids. I got one piece.

Click image for larger version  Name:	67C582B1-A356-4448-A311-D1FD855A3C37.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.58 MB ID:	1138325

Sous vide for 2 hours at 133, ice bath then into cast iron on the gasser with a mix of avocado oil, butter, and fresh rosemary. Finished with some hoity toity french finishing salt crowd cow keeps sending me for free, lol.
    Last edited by grantgallagher; December 6, 2021, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Picanha steaks from my initial break-in cook with my new Engelbrecht Braten 1000
      Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice way to break in your new toy!

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        Lookin’ good!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Delectable!

60 pounds of butts under the light blue. Many good meals for a few hours work.

​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	0C36BE78-C5A2-41C1-90AD-DC9155594BF8.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	1138382
      who said if ya looking your not cooking?

Name:	E7D32178-3805-433E-A26E-E56B19BD5031.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	1138383

Comment

I give you seared and roasted pork chops!

I've had mixed results with pork chops and pork loin in general. Usually, and this will be a surprise to no one, they come out annoyingly dry. So I decided to give it another go, this time marinating/brining the chops.

I intended to just do a day, but I ended up doing two days. This concerned me a bit. I let some ribs dry brine too long and there was a hint of "hammyness" to them. Maybe it was the thickness of these chops, but the two-day brine had no ill-effects (and I wonder if it even improved on their juiciness).

My marinade/brine is from Chili Pepper Madness and comprises oil, soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, spicy brown mustard, apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. (Link here: https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/r...chop-marinade/)

I really wanted to grill these, but the weather was iffy, so I decided to sear them in a 450 F - 500 F cast iron skillet for 90 seconds a side then finish them in a 400 F oven until they hit 143 F.

They turned out really good! Easily the best pork chops I have made in my life! The marinade isn't spicy, but lends a subtle complexity. The pork chops were surprisingly juicy, if just a tad dry. My smoke thermometer showed they got to 150 F as they were resting. I will pull them immediately at 140 F next time. (And I will grill them next time....some wood smoke would just add another layer to all of this!)

Here we are after the first flip.

Name:	IMG-5171.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1138392

All ready to go in the oven. (You can see the Smoke probe in the lower right.)

Name:	IMG-5173.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	1138393

Yum. (I grew up having mac and cheese with pork chops, so this just seemed right.)

Name:	IMG-5174.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1138391

And also, even with meat prices being crazy, these were cheap: $4/lb....so about $2.50 a chop! I'll take it.

Comment

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice work! And bless you for using the word "comprising" correctly. A lost art.

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          Teehee....years of professional academic writing will do that to you.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          great looking pork chops. Just wait to you grill them with some smoke.

MY QVQ BRISKET EXPERIENCE

In late Oct, mistakenly thinking my sister's traditional Hanukah dinner was Nov 4 (it was Dec 4), I started the QVQ by trimming my Costco Prime packer, salting it, and smoking it on our KBQ at 250 until it hit 145 F. Then I separated point & flat, cut flat in half (in order to fit into my 11" Food Saver bags), and SV at 150 for 24 hrs.

Cold shock, then into the freezer for a month. A week ago I put them in the fridge, and on Sat AM I removed the purge and the gelatinous coating from the three pieces for gravy. Put the meat back into the KBQ at 190-200 per Ernest recommendation, until IT reached 142-145-ish (3 hrs.) Wrapped in brown paper, put in Cambro.

Served that evening. Everyone liked it, but I was not happy.

1. The texture of the flat, as you can see on the photo, was almost homogenous. Not sure if that was from the SV, from freezing after, or what.

2. Very poor bark

The point was initially the favorite, but as it cooled, the fat marbling turned off lots of my audience (8 adults, 5 grandkids.) That could be remedied by keeping it warm, or a gentle steaming.

The gravy was delicious. After boiling the purge/gelatin, I poured it through a metal strainer. Made a roux with butter/flour. Added one box of store bought beef stock (meh). I captured about ½ cup of fond from the aluminum lined tray with water that was under the brisket, and that was added to the gravy at the end.

My gentile brother-in-law fries the latkes on an old stove top in their garage, so as to avoid the entire house and all guests smelling of oil and onions.

And, we are in the both apple sauce and sour cream camp. Sorry, but why can't we all just get along.

Conclusion:If I had smoked at 250 for the final Q, the bark would have been better. But, while it was all tender, I didn't like the texture of the flat. Next time I'm returning to KBQ the whole cook. Of course, y'all likely have opinions, so let 'em rip!

FIRST Q
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9383.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	468.0 KB ID:	1138395 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9387.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	565.8 KB ID:	1138401 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9392.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	568.1 KB ID:	1138406

THE SV IN THE MIDDLE
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9399.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	318.4 KB ID:	1138397

FINAL Q
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9808.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	453.1 KB ID:	1138402 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9810.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	528.6 KB ID:	1138405 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9812.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	588.7 KB ID:	1138403 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9809.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	337.7 KB ID:	1138398

POINT
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9833.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	408.3 KB ID:	1138399

FLAT
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9831.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	406.9 KB ID:	1138400 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9832.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	278.9 KB ID:	1138396 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9834.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	497.6 KB ID:	1138404
        Last edited by Dr. Pepper; December 6, 2021, 07:36 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll make a poll but I'll need more screen name suggestions from everyone.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a nice-looking cook! I bet that gravy was delicious.
          The point is just begging to be made into burnt ends.

Kathryn

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          My vote: notsonew2smokinganymore

Simple tonight - grilled salmon on a bed of mixed greens and rice. Was nice after the binge I went on this weekend

Name:	6563C980-014D-4F21-B7D6-96582EC9EA72.jpeg
Views:	264
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1138469

Comment

It’s bachelor guy night, wife is out with friends having a holiday happy 4 hours … so I cooked a 2” think CAB NY Strip from the butcher (which is sourced from Painted Hills) and some saffron risotto. No veggies since it was bachelor night :-)

Cooked in cast iron …. Got the cast iron to 450F, then seared first. I did a minute, flipped, minute, repeated. Pulled the steak, added a stick of butter to the pan, turned it down to medium low setting (mine goes 1-10, so a 3) …. After the pan cooled down and the butter was melted, I put the steak back in, basted with butter, cooked 3 minutes per side, turning and basting, until I hit 128F internal. Pulled and rested for 5 minutes, then served to me. With a decent bottle of Bordeaux

Name:	C3A2D181-3722-495D-8942-CDFC544DC52B.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1138481

Comment

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Dr. Pepper I LMAO at that ….. I think my burner called Ultraheat goes to 12, but only says 10 to try and not give all the other burners an inferiority complex

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Looking pretty perfect. You're making me hungry.

Kathryn

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc a year later and I'm finally getting the hang of this gas stove for cast iron searing. :-)

Chicken Teriyaki

Name:	PXL_20211207_020804786.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	1138503

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Usual. 👍👍👍

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here