Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys make me feel like amateur, awesome job all!!!

Comment

Most of us are amateurs! But, incremental improvement. You’re doing great.

Comment

We had two friends over yesterday, so I was cooking for four. Went with beer brats and just made double the usual amount. Used the dutch oven for the beer bath. I made some of them my traditional beer brat hot dog, and on some of the others I put some chili from a frozen batch that I had, along with some cheese. We also had a poor man's charcuterie board
        Attached Files

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          Your toppings on that are amazing. Love how that turned out.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          "Poor man’s charcuterie board". That is hilarious!!!! Brats/Dogs look great!

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          "Poor man's charcuterie board"... I've been eating those regularly lately... quick in-between meal snack!

Fresh donuts. It was a full tray but by the time I turned around to move the few left in the fryer to the tray this was all that remained.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	1BA8DBD6-0098-4B02-B7E9-38A0809D19CA.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	1136961

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          You need a Donut Thief Detector. I think Ring or Nest may sell a system?

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Not guilty.

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          holehogg I don't know about that. We'll confirm your innocence once we review the videos that have been uploaded to the cloud. Remember, South Africa isn't far away on the interwebs.

Beer O'clock

Name:	PXL_20211204_041536782.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	1136980

Comment

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          DAYUM.

• theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          You need an elevator on that burger there are so many levels.

• Caffeine88
          Caffeine88 commented
          Editing a comment
          Good lord. Why? Why must you mock amd torture us this way??

Korean Pork Lettuce Wraps with Gochuchang Mayo. I took a little creative license in that I had green leaf, not Bibb lettuce. And I added peas because I had peas that needed to be used. Sesame cucumbers on the side. Dang tasty!

Name:	B725FBFE-474C-48E7-A265-B4ECD51A8EBB.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1137037

Name:	A7BD4494-DB97-4D2F-8210-5EE55F7EE5B9.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	1137036

Comment

• Caffeine88
          Caffeine88 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice job with the improvisation! I like it.

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          Gochujang mayo! I must try this. I've often done Sriracha mayo, but gochujang seems like it would have a deeper depth of flavor.

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Michael_in_TX there is also soy sauce. But I use tamari, not that I am gluten free, but it still works.

Sitka pacific cod fish cakes with Romescu sauce. Sitka salmon shares recipe. Definitely a repeater.

Attached Files

Comment

Wangs!
        S&P, and a 2 hr ride in the hot tub time machine at 165, followed by a 30 minute smoke with cherry, a quick sear to crisp the skin, and a toss in sauce. The wife's Buffalo sauce was wildly better than my lame attempt at lime & chili.

Very happy with the result, and very happy I finished eating them before halftime of the Georgia game....

Name:	20211204_170330.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	1137165 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211204_171938.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	1137166 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211204_172149.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	1137167

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Damn Ernest!…err..I mean Caffeine88….👍👍
          Last edited by Panhead John; December 5, 2021, 10:12 AM. Reason: Can’t spell caffeine correctly, apparently. 🥸

• Caffeine88
          Caffeine88 commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John that's very high praise! I could only aspire to be as good as Ernest

• Caffeine88
          Caffeine88 commented
          Editing a comment
          BradNorthGA
          what score?

This is something we call Pollo Sabroso, adapted from a Skinny Taste recipe by that name. We marinate chicken thighs (bone-in, skin on) in a mixture of red wine vinegar, soy sauce, adobo powder, sazon (my wife mixes up her own recipe), garlic powder, and oregano for a couple of hours, and until recently would just bake them in the oven. Now I'm experimenting with two-zone grilling, so we tried it that way. Set up for the indirect side to be 325ish with the GrillGrates flat side up over the hot side.

These came out a bit over cooked -- should have shifted them to the hot side to sear at least five degrees sooner, maybe ten. Delicious, but needed to be just a bit juicier. Lesson learned! My wife made a nice soda bread with cheese & onions to go with.

Name:	20211204_172910.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	1137172 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211204_180455.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1137169 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211204_180704.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1137171 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211204_183953.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	1137174 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211204_184352.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	1137170 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211204_184938.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	1137173

Comment

• ssandy_561
          ssandy_561 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sazon and Adobo on chicken is fire!

And now we return to the hopelessly mundane. An Asian-style sir fry of veggies and marinated slices of chuck eye steak to test out the newly reseasoned CS wok. Something our once-toddler son used to refer to as "cooked salad".

Click image for larger version  Name:	2E81B59C-2A23-46FD-82CB-3576FCF4DE98.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.59 MB ID:	1137189

… the "cooked salad" was pretty good. The reseasoning not so much … it needs to be totally stripped and redone.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe if you deep fry a couple of batches of chicken in the wok it will come back to life??? I always envision deep frying as giving my wok a nice drink of oil.

Cooked salad--I love the way a toddler's mind works.

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; December 5, 2021, 07:18 AM.

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc - Normally, that would be an excellent suggestion, Kathryn. Unfortunately, the problem with this wok is that I royally screwed up the initial seasoning (too much oil, temp too low) and there is now a goopy barrier between any new seasoning and the underlying bare steel. I had hoped that thorough scrubbing with soap and a steel scouring pad would be sufficient for a successful reseasoning. It wasn't ... so it's back to something far more basic, likely involving sandpaper and power tools.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh boy, that wok really does need reclaiming. Good luck with your efforts to restore it.

K.

Birthday Brisket weekend! Turned out pretty good. Good bark and good flavor from the Oak Ridge Black Ops rub - I thought the meat needed a bit of salt after slicing, and perhaps that’s from no true dry brine. But turned out well other wise. Also made my Grandmother’s German Potato Salad and a Kale and Brussel Sprout salad.

Enjoyed the evening with my friends and family!

a Choice grade brisket from the local butcher, couldn’t find a packer at Costco, so tried this out. Was $6.99/lb and needed a little trimming.

Name:	D2EECA54-864B-4B1D-AC68-AA8C6B91976D.jpeg
Views:	244
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1137268

Just after being pulled at 195 in the point.

Name:	E84D4109-2196-4CE3-A2FD-CEB1011297F2.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	1137270

Name:	F547EDFD-C3FA-4586-8E98-BDA5B5C6AA97.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	299.1 KB
ID:	1137267

And after a bit of a longer hold, which I think made for a little more of a fall apart slice. Brisket cooked a bit faster than I expected. Should have started it a little later in the wee morning.

Name:	A9A63565-A530-4826-9363-3737E1A9AD1E.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	1137269

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Briskets always make birthdays better. Next time try temping in the thickest part of the flat and let the point take care of itself. Works well for me that way, anyway.

Hope the birthday was a happy one. Judging from the meal, it was.

Kathryn

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          Yum! Great minds and all that, I did a brisket on my birthday this year, too.

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you holehogg fzxdoc Kathryn and Jim White Appreciate it

I accidentally deleted this post so here I go again. Meat, potatoes, and sprouts. It hit the spot.

Name:	20211204_204133~4_resize_5.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	1137307

Comment

• BradNorthGA
          BradNorthGA commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yeah

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful.

Here is another stir-fry-esque experiment. I used Chili Pepper Madness' Stir Fry sauce, which is gochujang-based and not soy sauce based. (https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/r...tir-fry-sauce/) I really liked it! You get the depth of flavor that gochujang provides. The amount of sesame oil may seem a bit high, but I found it delightful.

Here's how I did it. I took a cast iron skillet to about 450 F and then seared some salmon chunks in avocado oil until they got to 130-135 F, taking them out one by one as they got done. I then steamed some julienned carrots and broccoli florets in the microwave. (I did say stir-fry-esque!)

Then, I added the vegetables back into the skillet, along with the salmon, and some egg noodles that had been in boiling water for three minutes. I finally added 1/2 cup of the sauce. Mixed everything together and it was done.

There is a decent amount of heat, but not too much. Lots of umami flavor as well. I actually liked this primarily as it wasn't so soy sauce-forward as so many stir-frys are.

Name:	IMG-5168.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1137311

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I should have added that I don't do it that way often, but there are several dishes that need the hot ingredients to taste right.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a plan, RonB . Thanks.

K.

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          There is some heat to this, but it is not overly hot (to me at least). I've had hotter chilis.

Smoked turkey biscuits. I had some leftover turkey so I decided to try making some biscuits with them. I also chopped up some green beans. I was very pleased with the final result.
        Attached Files

Comment

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          The dog is everything. Nice biscuits too!

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Eric2662 just shutty…. Translation? "Dayum, where’s mine?"

Looks so good!

• tmaan235
          tmaan235 commented
          Editing a comment
          Finger pot pies, lovin' it!

Tenderloin kabobs on the Weber gasser. We buy them pre-marinated from our local Armenian market. Very tasty.

Name:	PXL_20211205_013959756.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	275.7 KB
ID:	1137445

Comment

• BradNorthGA
          BradNorthGA commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I bet those are really good

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here