Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finishing off the smoked breast from Thanksgiving. Made some Hatch Chile Turkey Tortilla Soup.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey Tortilla Soup.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1135128

Comment

Close enough to tacos on a Tuesday for me. Creekstone prime flank on the WSCG.
    Attached Files

Comment

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      hot fire!

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      MMmmmmm! Love tacos, love rice, love chips...perfect meal!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful sear, perfect finish 👍

Thanksgiving pecan pie Smoked brandied whipped cream and smoked pecans. Recipe from CooksIllustrated- minus the smoking.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Waster
      Waster commented
      Editing a comment
      and brandy too… sounds wonderful!

• Eric2662
      Eric2662 commented
      Editing a comment
      Waster It was delicious! A little bit of brandy went a long way too.

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes to everything. Wow that looks good.

Did the tri-tip in the PBJ. Loved the ease of the cook. Ran a bit hot at 325. That is on me for vent opening. 2nd cook, so I'll learn. Overall not a bad cook. A bit under done IMO. Out of PBJ at 115. Wrapped in B.P. and in cooler. About an hour till ready to eat. Then on gasser to sear to 130. Results a bit chewy. I cut per M.H's direction. I've done this b4 so confident I did it right.
    Also the garlic roasted potato were a bit over done. This was really thick, I underestimated the cook. I'd give it a b-.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

​​​​​​

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      It sure "sounds" good. 🥸

This was a bit of a experiment, but it turned out incredibly good: Spicy garlicky salmon stir fry!

I took a salmon filet, cut it into even pieces, lightly salted it, and stir-fried it in avocado oil until 140-ish, then removed. I then waited (nearly forever it seems) for the cast iron pan to cool down to 350 (which was still a tad too hot).

I then sautéed about 3 tbl of minced garlic in the remaining oil along with about --- wait for it -- 4 anchovy filets. (This is an idea I got from the the Hot Thai Kitchen YouTube channel I've been watching recently.) It is a fascinating stand-in for soy sauce. Once the garlic was starting to turn golden, I dumped in about 1 tbl of ground Tien Tsin chiles. I stirred until everything became very aromatic.

Finally I dumped in 2 tbl of butter and 1 tbl of oyster sauce. Then, in go some cooked egg noodles and the salmon and toss to coat everything. Done! So quick!

Deep garlic and umami flavor with a good amount of spice. Next time I will add broccoli and cut the butter down to 1 tbl and also watch the amount of oil I am using. (2 tbl butter and 2 tbl oil is a lot of fat for one serving!)

I also like how my spice grinder doesn't totally pulverize the chilies so you get these nice flakes of irregular sizes in there. Very nice.

Name:	IMG-5154.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1135212

Comment

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      This sounds like a Stir Fry I need to try. We like salmon a lot. It looks delicious!

Late to post these pictures from Thanksgiving. This was our turkey I cooked on the WSM. This is the way the family has demanded it for the last several years, and I have no problem with that. Turns out fantastic every time. I ran out of cherry wood chunks, so used a little bit of hickory.

Name:	Turkey-1.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	1135333

Name:	Turkey-2.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	1135335

Name:	Turkey-3.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	1135334

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      That turkey looks pretty darn perfect. No wonder your family requests it every year.

I like the thoughtful centerpiece with photos of family members (I'm assuming).

Kathryn

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea I do mine on a 26" kettle with chunks of cherry as well. Gives the bird a great color. Looks as though yours came out perfectly.

• crazytown3
      crazytown3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks everyone. fzxdoc yes, family members no longer with us. My dear wife stared doing that last year, and I think it's a new tradition.

Love smoking Chops cut from pork loin on my ys640s. Click image for larger version

Name:	155F8D2C-F3BA-4886-AA30-8BD3C84708EF.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	1135507

Comment

Smoked chicken with S&G rub. I got dragged into an impromptu Zoom meeting, so it was on 10 minutes longer than optimum. Smoked on Weber kettle with SnS.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BA84E8E1-2271-4174-BF17-E8C64A472339.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.39 MB ID:	1135521

It was still delicious.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	D23A87A1-3FB7-4EFB-8565-AE67A1C56741.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	1135522
      Last edited by Sid P; December 1, 2021, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Name:	F7FF4E46-4605-449A-9A0E-7D524C4F7DFC.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1135527 Ok. I just had something called "Mock Chicken Legs". I had never had them or even heard if them. A friend of mine got them from a butcher in northern Wisconsin supposedly known for them. He raved about them. Anyway, he gave me a package to try.

They are made from ground pork and veal, various spices, and breaded with a corn flake crust. After browning in a skillet you bake them off to done. I served with mashers and country gravy.

Man they were tasty. Certainly not bbq or fancy but I would eat them again anytime. Cheap too. Although he gave them to me, they were only about $5.00 for a package of four. Who knew?

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to make this back in the day with breaded cubes of pork pretty tightly packed onto short wooden skewers. Pan fried with gravy made from the drippings. Never thought about making it with ground meats, sort of like Middle Eastern Cooked Kibbeh. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kathryn

• Joey877
          Joey877 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds pretty similar to what is called "city chicken" in spots of Ohio (and I'm sure other areas). Pork and veal that is breaded, browned, and baked. It's very good.

Not sure what to call this, but there's half a pound of Rancho Gordo garbanzos, a big mess of collard greens and a big mess of rainbow chard. Cooked up with some spicy chicken broth, onion, and jowl bacon. Really hit the spot with a healthy shot of apple cider vinegar in the bowl.

Name:	2021-12-01 16.46.26.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	1135561

Comment

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd call that Yummy!

Reverse seared steaks on a chilly New England evening. Prime beef from Alpine Butcher.

Salted and ready

Name:	IMG_2619.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	1135593

Two cubes starting the charcoal

Name:	IMG_2618.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	1135589

Steaks on

Name:	IMG_2621.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	1135588

Hot enough to sear a steak

Name:	IMG_2623.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	1135592

Name:	IMG_2624.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	1135591

Name:	IMG_2625.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	1135590

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Ribeye for me strip for the wife

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Perfect

• theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          Brilliant

Steak Au Poivre

Costco American Waygu NY strip. Inspired by recent AR link to Chef Jean Pierre's Steak Poivre, I also watched the Angus Foundations video on the same recipe. I dry brined earlier in the day. I fused the two recipes, using shallots, and tomato paste to thicken the store bought beef broth. And, where Chef Jean-Pierre tosses the pan into the oven as soon as he has flipped the steak, I used Chef Archer’s (Certified Angus Beef Kitchen) technique of only applying the cracked black pepper to one side, starting with the non-peppered side down, used a high temp veg oil, and then flipped, added butter, and basted away.

Was delicious. I pulled from the 4200 oven at 125 IT, and it rose to 140. Next time I would use a lower oven temp after the cast iron sear for less carryover heat. Also, maybe a slightly shorter sear time for a thinner gray band. But, even my 'anti-fat' spouse dipped each bite in the sauce.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9754.jpeg Views:	16 Size:	633.1 KB ID:	1135611 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9755.jpeg Views:	16 Size:	565.4 KB ID:	1135612 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9756.jpeg Views:	16 Size:	500.9 KB ID:	1135613
        Last edited by Dr. Pepper; December 1, 2021, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Love chef Jean Pierre’s clear cut teaching. I’ve done his beef broth from scratch, well worth doing!! Looks like you re-created the steak quite well, I may have to give this one a go !!

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Boy that is a a great cook.

• grillinglousiana
          grillinglousiana commented
          Editing a comment
          I had to give this a try..I did pan sesr my steaks and finished them on my 560 masterbuilt..with green beans and mashed potatoes with diced mushroom..thanks fir the post..this is a winner

Name:	A0009404-66A4-4BBA-BE17-C1AA5847433D.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1135623 A four pound Click Akausha Chuck roast. Click image for larger version

Name:	0F4FE481-60AE-4689-88C1-AD41C43085EE.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1135622

Name:	033344EA-C9BD-40CF-AEF8-B2A19D776484.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	1135624

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          And....another beautiful piece of beef!

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          *chef’s kiss*

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Yum!

After yesterdays semi fail with the tri-tip, figured I'd dumb it down. On gasser temp 30 no wind or snow. Chicken is for my wife.

Name:	20211201_190207.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1135636 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211201_190524.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1135637

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Good lookin' burger!

Sourdough pizza night.

Name:	CFE70FEF-E7FB-41E8-AB21-A66501CBDBF9.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	1135958

Name:	E2CB7197-FBBB-4618-AC58-3FCFA4CEE3B9.jpeg
Views:	234
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	1135959

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Now you need to open up a combination pizza parlor and bakery. Bread in the morning and pie at night, winner !!!

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman I sell this stuff to buy beef. Plus it helps kill time in Wisconsin in the winter. Lol
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 2, 2021, 05:52 PM.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          I had a microbrewery contact me to buy and try a few of my sourdough pizza crusts and sauce. They made them in their commercial deck oven. And now want to buy my dough and sauce to serve to customers. That’s. Pretty great feeling,

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here