Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey sandwiches at lunch today. Also had them yesterday, but I inhaled mine so quickly that no photos were possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211127_111244.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1133333

Dinner tonight: used a pound of 50/50 ground beef/bacon blend we got from Creekstone for some 2-zone green chile squealer cheeseburgers (in honor of the iconic Tookie's hamburger joint in the Clear Lake area south of Houston, TX). Set up the GrillGrates so I could sprinkle some pellets into the middle rail while the patties sat on the indirect side up to 160F IT. Seared for a minute per side to finish (cheese on top for the last minute), with some simple oven fries and a splendid Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. (I cannot stop myself from thinking of that old Kool & The Gang hit... Cellllllll-a-bration Ale, come ON!)

Significant tactical error: should have made quarter-pound patties. These half-pounders were very dense indeed at the fairly fine grind they're blended at. Would like it coarser - but damn they were delicious. Juicy as all getout too. Glad we have another pound of this in the freezer!

Name:	20211127_163631.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	1133338

Name:	20211127_171822.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	1133337
    (sorry that one is a little blurry)

Name:	20211127_173251.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	1133336

Name:	20211127_173722.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1133335

Name:	20211127_174310.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	1133339
    Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Those ARE big burgers! Great job

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      We are doing a bacon-beef blend burger tonight, too. Pics to follow! Yours look great! And now I have that dang song in my head! 🤣🍻

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      So my burgers were an epic fail. I tried to make a juicy Lucy. Didn’t happen.

Another Awesome Cooking weekend. Pulled Pork (chopped), Country Style Boneless Ribs, Tri Tip, Chuck Roast (on GMG), and Turkey ( Oil less Charbroil)
    Attached Files

Comment

Sous Vide chicken breast, quick brown in hot cast iron
      Wife approved, and leftovers for tomorrow

Name:	IMG_1545.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1133410

Name:	IMG_1547.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1133408

Name:	IMG_1548.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	1133409

​​​​​​​

Comment

• BradNorthGA
        BradNorthGA commented
        Editing a comment
        I love doing SV chicken breasts. Best way to make them imo

Turkey, stuffing, mashed potato, onion, and cheese omelette.

Edit: cboss made turkey soup and bread (frozen dough experiment was not ideal)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by gboss; November 27, 2021, 08:01 PM. Reason: Edit: added the better half's contribution.

Comment

Name:	E40B6E97-A893-47FE-8E9F-429517588E8E.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1133475 Last Night’s Duck Confit Served with Cherry Balsamic Reduction, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Roasted Asparagus, and a Light Sage Dressing.

Comment

Leftover rice turned into Spanish, leftover turkey into enchiladas.

Name:	PXL_20211128_020603720.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	1133482 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211128_021739376.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	1133483

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            Great idea! Will do that with the leftovers. Thanks

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh boy.

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Is that a mole?

Yet more turkey leftovers - turkey chili. Lots of anchos from the garden.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211128_014105645.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.41 MB ID:	1133486
          Last edited by theroc; November 27, 2021, 09:02 PM.

Comment

TripleB's Thai BBQ chicken again, this time on the Weber that I purchased from Panhead John with the new SnS insert. Turned out great, and hopefully a new member for the forum will show up soon.

Name:	thai_chicken.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	1133554

Comment

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              Panhead John scroll down for the recipe. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ai-bbq-chicken

I use Stubb's Original BBQ sauce in the sauce mix. I also use skin-on thighs, the skin ends up almost candied.
              Last edited by 58limited; November 29, 2021, 11:35 AM.

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              My technique is a little different than TripleB 's: I sear bone side down to get some color then I move to the indirect side. After 15-20 minutes when the marinade dries and sets, I start basting with the BBQ sauce: first baste I flip the meat and baste the bone side and I simultaneously throw a handful of hickory chips on the coals. I repeat every 15-20 minutes but flip to skin side up and switch to applewood chips, repeating until the chicken is done and the sauce is nicely caramelized.

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! 58limited

My first completed hot sauce. Jalapenos, Garlic, red onions, and spartan apples. Pureed and blended with some apple cider vinegar, then strained the liquid from the mash. Not impressed with the colour, but the flavour is great and has a mild heat. I dried out the mash and ground it up. It will make a good addition to soups and chilis!
            This was only an 8 day ferment as I really couldn't wait any longer to process and try my first attempt. I'll be doing some longer ones over the holidays. Can't wait! I have some proper woozy bottles on order, so in the interim, this oil dispenser bottle works great. :-)

Name:	firsthotsauce.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1133562

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, and the colour is just a mild disappointment, I'm really pleased with it and it tastes great. While I like hot sauces, I like some flavour and not just heat. I was hoping for a bit less yellow and a bit more green. I still have 3 additional batches with different pepper combos on the go, and yes, I'm having a blast. :-)

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Yea green or red would give it a better visual presentation but I’m intrigued by the flavor combo. Is it sweet heat?

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              Troutman there is very little sweet, more just a hint of apple on the backside. Most of any sugar from the apples was consumed during the ferment. Next time I make this I'll add some more apples when processing.

I'm sure some of you are getting tired of my fermentation posts, but here's one more for those who aren't.
            Started a ginger bug. It will be a starter for some real ginger ale and a cranberry ginger ale (a seasonal Canadian drink) for Ann.

Name:	20211128_075308.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1133668

Comment

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              That I can get behind, thanks! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm following

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Ernest!

Cooking some budget Ramen with my fridge. Of course I add some dried herbs to the base packet

Name:	20211127_191529.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1133703

Comment

• Caffeine88
              Caffeine88 commented
              Editing a comment
              Quality cook, quality. I can taste it by just looking!

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s the herbs that put it over the top, I bet…..

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              SheilaAnn the best carboard noodles I ever had

A little Sunday smoke on the PBC. Smoked Lamb Sirloin roast (cooked til 130) and some Huli Huli Chicken Skewers.
            Attached Files

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Velly nice.

I can safely say that I didn't touch one piece, slice or bone of a turkey this Holiday. Instead got treated to friends (did a big pork roast that was amazing) and smoked this Akaushi brisket point on Black Bark Friday !! (flat is corning for pastrami)

Name:	akaushi brisket 01.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1133785 Click image for larger version

Name:	akaushi brisket 06.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	1133784 Click image for larger version

Name:	akaushi brisket 09.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	1133787 Click image for larger version

Name:	akaushi brisket 10.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	1133786

Comment

I’m really enjoying this wok thingamajig. Shoulda got one long ago. This is my 3rd cook with it and I did a little more complex cook this time than my first 2. This was still probably a pretty easy cook for some of you though. It was a mushroom pepper steak recipe I "mostly" followed and found online at Taste of Home. Used thinly sliced sirloin and veggies were red and green bell peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes, sliced jalapeño, garlic, onions and green onions. I actually peeled and cut up fresh ginger root for the very first time…woo hoo! Turned out pretty dang good for this rookie.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Panhead John; November 28, 2021, 04:01 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I love stir fry, it’s like a one pot stew. Good job mi amigo 👍

• BradNorthGA
                BradNorthGA commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Great job PHJ. If you are not doing it already, I suggest doing all the prep early in the day. That makes the actual cook seem like a breeze.

Turkey Pot Pie. Yes...leftovers
              Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here