Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspired by ecowper post of The Perfect Steak by Chef Jean-Pierre! My orders were to cook lamb chops tonight and I just happened to have picked up some Avo oil so…….The Perfect Lamb Chop? I used fresh rosemary, garlic, and shallots and followed the recipe in the video. Came out pretty darn good!
    Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great. ecowper has started something with that video!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful!!!

I'm impressed with all the cooks. Then there's mine. Left over poor man's burnt ends. And I mustered up the will to do roasted garlic potato.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211123_183542.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1131464

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the burnt ends - will be doing similar potatoes tomorrow night with tri-tip.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      RichieB I think most of us would swap what we've cooked and shared for some your burnt ends!

Some of you wanted to see the cheesecake after it was cut. SWMBO said it was the best cheesecake she'd ever eaten!

Name:	20211122_181058.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1131587

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      holehogg the great thing about this one, aside from the taste, is that it is sugar free. I use an in-arm blood sugar sensor that reports both to my watch and phone, and eating a reasonable sized piece of this had zero effect on my blood sugar level. Win!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      You just HAD to show the inside, didn't you? I made a big mistake. I bought a cherry pie from a local Mennonite bakery to go with our pre-Thanksgiving meal. I expected my wife to make her cheesecake to go along with it. Nope - I saved her some work. Now I am reminded of what a mistake I made. Yours looks delicious

• kjbarth
      kjbarth commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a delicious looking cheesecake!

Today's lacto-fermentation output (yes, I'm obsessed) :
    • Green cabbage kimchi
    • Zuchini Dills
    • Dilly Beans
    • Grapes (no, this won't make wine)
    The only problem with this hobby is until I get going is having to wait to try something.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211124_141657.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	1131788

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      pkadare what are you doing with the grapes? I have way too many from CSA.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn just another way to do a ferment. Weigh whatever you want to ferment (so far I've got some hot peppers for sauce, some apriplums, and the grapes). Toss with 2% of the weight in kosher salt, then vacuum seal. It is a great way to ferment if you've already got a sealer as there's no need for additional equipment and there's zero chance of mold since there's no O2 in the bag. You want to make the bag fairly large to provide room for the CO2.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      If the bag expands too much you can poke it with a pin and then patch with a piece of tape. I've been using Diamond Crystal but I've got some pink Himalayan salt on the way. Apparently it is better for fermentation, something to do with the minerals in it.

Name:	20211123_180402.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1131800
    Yesterday I did pulled beef on the MAK with BBBR. Need to add to the the freezer for Family coming at Christmas time.

Name:	20211124_120341.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1131799

Today I Did the Thanksgiving Turkey on the Lone Star Adjustable for tomorrow's noon meal. We only have to prepare for 4 people this year so plenty of leftovers for sure!

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great - let the turkey games begin!

Name:	PXL_20211124_185215327.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	1131909 I decided to split the bird

Breast rolled up and into hot tub time machine

Name:	PXL_20211123_185147176.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	1131910 ​​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​​

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, that roulade's gonna be good!

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m going the other way around. Roasting the breast with simple seasoning. Leg quarter is in the hot tub time machine as we speak.

Cornbread dressing. This is one of those things that just taste better a day later. So I make it a day ahead

Name:	PXL_20211124_212809175.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	1131918

Comment

I’m not cooking, but my wife is seasoning a new CI pan I just picked up! 🙌
      Attached Files
      Last edited by smokenoob; November 24, 2021, 06:14 PM. Reason: added pic

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks a bit like Rao’s Lemon chicken going on there! Looks wonderful!

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        barelfly Yes with fresh Meyer lemons from out tree!

Kentucky Chocolate Pecan Pie…..and the Kentucky part is what makes this so good and homemade pie crust to top it off.

Name:	CCCE53CF-9C1D-4117-9E90-6C64F8F5DF1B.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	1131932

Comment

Bison back ribs cooked on the Pit Barrel.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice pics. How were the ribs?

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Loves me some Bison, ain't gonna lie to yall!

• Eric2662
          Eric2662 commented
          Editing a comment
          Sid P Delicious! They are a really fun alternative to beef.

It starts! 21.9 lb turkey on the KBQ, started at 5pm. This is my first turkey on the KBQ. I brined it overnight using the BBQ Pit Boys Apple Cider brine ( https://bbqpitboys.com/blogs/recipes/apple-cider-turkey ). I slathered some compund butter under the skin of the breast and over the surface of the turkey. Two hours in and IT is 112 degrees at the thigh. KBQ is rocking along at 340-360 degrees. I'll update this post as the cook proceeds.

15 minutes in:

Click image for larger version  Name:	kbq_turkey1.jpg Views:	26 Size:	3.95 MB ID:	1131961

8:15pm - already done! Might have overshot the breast temp, they were 170-173. The thighs were 162. Looks and smells great though. Won't carve until tomorrow at my friend's place.

Click image for larger version  Name:	kbq_turkey2.jpg Views:	59 Size:	170.5 KB ID:	1132030

Addendum: this turned out perfect! Juicy, great flavor. Thanks for the advice and help Ernest
        Last edited by 58limited; November 26, 2021, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Watch the breast temp. Best to have the legs towards the back. Temp cools off as it circulates towards the door

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Ernest ! I turned the bird around when I noticed the breast temp rising over the thigh temp.
          Last edited by 58limited; November 24, 2021, 08:28 PM.

Apple pecan cheesecake
        Attached Files

Comment

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh gosh…..dude. Cheesecakes my thing. And this…..well done my friend! I need to make this!

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Amazing!

• kjbarth
          kjbarth commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, my. Just looks delicious!

And since my son is really the only one in the family that prefers pumpkin pie, we make pumpkin pie.

Name:	image_160007.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	1131995

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the big B!

Oh, pie looks amazing as well! 👍

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks STEbbq - my wife likes to make things with the wine corks. this is for our last name. Adds to the kitchen!

And dinner for the night. Wife asked me to make bibimbap. I haven’t made this in some time, but with all the wok cooking I’ve been doing lately, was time for one of my favorite dishes!

Panhead John - here you go, one of the dishes I mentioned you need to try - https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...bimbap-3363496

I know there are plenty of bibimbap recipes, but this one isn’t hard to make. It does require mis en place, like most wok cooking. I will say, I didn’t use the wok tonight and I wish I would have. I used my cast iron pans since I was going to be cooking multiple things (beef, veg, eggs). But the carbon steel would have been a much better choice for this tonight. Oh well, next time!

Only thing missing was my homemade kimchi - I had two jars in the garage fridge but….not sure how old there were. So we went with store bought.

Name:	E7AEBCF0-53C6-4CCE-BD45-361C18CBD317.jpeg
Views:	217
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	1132005

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks barelfly Appreciate that, yours sure looks good. Can’t go wrong with a fried egg on top.

My wife's apple pie. I made the crust for her and she filled it. This is my favorite apple pie because she uses 1.5 times the amount of cinnamon in the recipe. I made the little dough leaves too, but they should have been pushed down into the pie a bit because they were a little too firm - but still edible.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211124_120748[1].jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.47 MB ID:	1132020

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you cut them out on the bandsaw?

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          HawkerXP - scroll saw
          Last edited by RonB; November 25, 2021, 11:43 AM.

• kjbarth
          kjbarth commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, that looks great!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here