Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The day kind of got away from us so didn't have time to plan a proper outdoor cook tonight. Went with something simple: strozzapreti all'Amatriciana. Always amazes me how something with just a few good ingredients can be so darn satisfying.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211120_032420794.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.76 MB ID:	1129194

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      OK theroc another word I've never seen - guanciale - "Most Americans have probably heard of Pancetta, which is essentially pork belly that is salt and pepper cured. ... Guanciale is the pork jowl (cheek) cured in a mix of salt and spices."

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d load up a few plates of that!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      What Richard Chrz said.

K.

Made some pulled pork for a fellowship we had after revival tonight. This was a 10.57 lb pork shoulder, and is the 2nd pork shoulder I have ever smoked. I did a 48 hr dry brine and covered it with Meatheads Memphis dust and used hickory pellets for the fuel. I Cooked it at 225 for around 13 1/2 hrs to an internal temperature of 203.

After it was all said and done, there was enough left for a very small sandwich. I think everyone enjoyed it. :-D
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RDSBandit; November 19, 2021, 11:04 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah!

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Hallelujah!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Good eating there. Nice job!

Kathryn

So, I am relaxing and having fun after working to prepare all this food for my buddy's bachelor party.

See previous posts:

So, from the end of work on Thursday until I left for my friend's house at 7pm on Friday, I was prepping non-stop bar 2x 2hr stints of sleep.

Started the fire and got it stable. I am using backyard white oak wood and hardwood lump. I knew that I was pushing the capacity of the Akorn in ways I had never done before. I bought and trimmed the briskets by eyeball, one slightly smaller than the other. I came up with the makeshift elevated grate with bricks and a weber replacement grate.

It turns out everything fit like a glove. This was pretty much the maximum amount of brisket that will fit on an Akorn. It was ~34lbs pre trim. I didn't weigh the trim. Post cook yield was ~19lbs. Rendered tallow from the trim.

225-250F pit temp according to the probe. The cooker was crowded so who knows what actual temps were throughout. They were sufficiently floppy after 19h at about 190F. Rested. Transported. Chilled.

Prepared mac and cheese. 4lbs of pasta, 2lbs of Cabot cheddar and 2 lbs of Aldi Gouda. 48oz of evaporated milk. It's a lot of food. To be continued...
    Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Great effort, and great result!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Loving the adventure

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim White Mr. Bones well, at around 2am on Thursday night, I was taking out the grinder to make tallow and I figured the missus might want the brisket trim out of the fridge as well. So, yadda yadda, tested out brisket trim smashburgers, liked the results, froze the rest as 2oz meatballs for future smashing. Then got a little sleep then. But once they came off I didn't have time to eat.

Ernest and SheilaAnn for the tongue stuff.
    I had written down "defrost tongue" as a step and had moved them from the freezer to the fridge. As it turns out, it was very lucky they were still frozen for ease in peeling. For my purposes, it would be convenient if the tongue were straight. Nearly all of the tongues I have sourced have been folded over on themselves. This makes it much more tricky to peel, but peeling them while frozen is a thousand times easier than thawed, even when folded over. I only stabbed myself with the boning knife thrice and drew blood once.

Last minute shopping for fresh ingredients. Slaw dressing. Dice potatoes. Blanched rapini. cboss helped out and prepped parsley, sliced bell peppers and green onions, chives, and a ton of other things she thought of that I would have definitely overlooked.

Here's to execution of this all starting tomorrow. Cheers!
    Attached Files

Comment

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      STEbbq my wife searched for and found her knife roll and culinary suitcase for me to borrow. There was a cut proof glove in there that I was able to use for the last trim after it was defrosted. I should look into getting my own, thanks for the link!

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, this is gonna be really good....

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      When we made tongue, we braised it as is. Outer skin peeled right off, easy easy. But that was that dish! Loving this journey!

Duelling chicks on the gasser..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20211116_165451~2.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1129257 served with potatochips

Name:	20211116_171554~2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1129256
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Lovin th Heineken can, Brother!

Also, based upon th relative uniformity, ya made yer own Kjetil Style chips...what seasonins did ya use, today?

Nicely Done, Good Sir!

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Well Mr. Bones The chips was salted and sprinkeled with paprika..
      Beercan chicken and potatochips with paprika is highly recomended..
      Thanks brother!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      See - beer can chicken is a real thing. Although supposedly debunked here, a buddy’s dad used to make it before it was a fad. He made the most tender chicken on a grill. I’m going to do my own experiment this June. Summer is the non-holiday time I can get a group over for judging.

Breakfast was a success. Start of everything was a bit hairy until I got used to the stove and oven. But prepping and having a plan made everything work. I settled into a groove. Porkroll egg and cheese sandwiches. Scrapple egg and cheese sandwiches. Brioche, onion roll, pretzel bun. Cooper sharp American cheese and provolone. Roasted potatoes with salt, pepper, and Tony C.

Included photo of my sandwich after everyone else had eaten.

Done until dinner, the main show.

Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great cook!

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      How do we get invited to this party?

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      theroc it would not be much of an exaggeration to say that I have been friends with the groom to be since before I was born. It was interesting to do this at this scale, but there is definitely things I would do differently if I were to do it again. Cheers!

Getting cooler and damper up here so its comfort food time
    Home made southern style biscuits are a perfect match
    Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yum

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      somebody ripped in and grabbed two while I wasn't looking....

African Kati Kati chicken with fufu (yams and plantains). Very flavorful with tons of spices (cinnamon, allspice, paprika, cumin, turmeric, red pepper etc.). Definitely different and yummy. I have read this is primarily Cameroon in origin!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by STEbbq; November 20, 2021, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      I like Cameroon: Nouhou, the Seattle Sounders’ left defender/wingback is from Cameroon 🇨🇲. Cameroon just advanced in the World Cup qualifiers.

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Most excellent!

Still working with the smoked bacon

Name:	IMG_5485.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	1129448

Name:	IMG_5487.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	1129449

Name:	IMG_5488.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	1129450

Comment

today on the 560 .masterbuilt..cooked asparagus, butter onion,jalpeno with cream cheese and cheddar cheese,in pounded split chicken breast,with baconand slap ya mama,season,..and jalpeno cream corn in my crock pot
      Attached Files

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        I like this idea!

I forgot to post final cook ,passed them out as always
      Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks fantastic

Friday nights are pizza night around here. Found a recipe for "Chicago style thin crust".
      @troymeister
      @Potkettleblack
      Think Barnaby’s, Nick and Vito’s, Chesdan’s (the OG on Archer Ave)

Turned out pretty nice! Sausage and mushroom.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2328725A-43E2-4636-AAD9-E09578D1D537.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	733.9 KB ID:	1129544
      Click image for larger version  Name:	9E8EB54B-D8B5-4144-9FB2-6F790EF96E8B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	358.5 KB ID:	1129543
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DA5B5300-0A17-408D-887D-B96DABD808AB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	345.0 KB ID:	1129542
      Last edited by SheilaAnn; November 20, 2021, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Patty melt

Name:	PXL_20211120_204401711.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	1129547

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Love it!

Name:	IMG_4680(1).jpg
Views:	212
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1129580 Reverse sear ribeye, baked potatoes, Parker rolls and Brussels with bacon and onions and a honey pepper glaze
      Last edited by DavidNorcross; November 20, 2021, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• gboss
        gboss commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like a great meal!

The other day my wife said we need. To stop buying meat and use up what we have in the freezer. I agreed and the first thing I did was thaw out this pork butt.

I went a little different route this time. Throw it on the pellet smoker last night at around 11:30 And let it smoke at 200° for about 13 hours. Then I bumped it up to 250. I didn’t wrap this and instead used a mop that I put together with some things in the kitchen instead. I have never done this method before off and decided, what the hell?

The best part is I was at the grocery store this morning, and I remembered something I read on this website about Kroger selling pork butts for $.99 a pound and basically replaced what a cooked. A win-win in my book.
      Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Radiodome21 and Dr. Pepper - not only +1 to the freezer issue but I also get the "don’t leave in the fridge for more than two days thawing because of bacteria".

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        And, I assume our spouses are all excited to have us dry age a primal NY strip on a whole shelf of the refer for a months or so.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        But, I have to admit to having a frozen meat hoarding problem, so there's that.....

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here