Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time using rancho gordo (or any) dried chick peas for this...

Fresh garbanzo beans (chick peas), instant pot for an hour.

Smoke the sesame seeds about 2 hours at 225 or less.

Rinse the artichoke hearts, lower grill temp as low as it will go.

Everything on the smoker for 2 to 3 hours. I did 175 for this cook.

Mix the beans and hearts every 20 minutes.

Bag and refrigerate overnight for extra smokey flavor.

Blend sesame seeds, olive oil, and a pinch of salt for tahini.

If you leave it in the food processor like I do you have to combine and hand stir all the batches afterwards.

Add garbanzo beans, lemon juice, salt, cumin, garlic and ice cold water as necessary.

If you don't want super smokey hummus, at least chill the ingredients in the freezer for up to an hour. Cold ingredients equal smooth hummus.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211121_104115.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	1130643

Name:	20211121_124820.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	1130640

Name:	20211121_143419.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	1130642

Name:	20211122_112901.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1130641

Name:	20211122_121718.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1130639

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc um the largest plastic bowl I own is filled. The beans expanded to the full size of my large instantpot. 4.5 full food processor batches? Hope that helps? I made a ton for work and Thanksgiving and then some just for me. I think 1 to 1.5 bags would be plenty for a normal batch.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the additional info, ItsAllGoneToTheDogs . For just the two of us, I think I may start with one bag and see what happens.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc I think 1 jar of hearts per bag woulda been a better ratio. Or at least 2 jars with 3 bags. Just triple rinse 'em. Also I think next time I'm adding red peppers too. The hearts have great flavor, but they get lost in the same color of the hummus.

Chasu pork belly:

Name:	IMG_5881.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	1130775

I left the skin on, because I like the texture.

Name:	IMG_5882.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	401.3 KB
ID:	1130776

Name:	IMG_5884.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	449.1 KB
ID:	1130778

Gotta use the good stuff for this. That Tonkatsu soup base is legit.

Name:	IMG_5886.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	1130777

Name:	IMG_5885.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	360.8 KB
ID:	1130774

I have now officially gotten to the point where it takes me two days to make a bowl of instant noodles. I'm... not entirely sure that that's an accomplishment.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m always down for a bowl of that!

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      "two days to make a bowl of instant noodles. I'm... not entirely sure that that's an accomplishment" LMAO!

• kjbarth
      kjbarth commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, that looks delicious!

2nd half of the Garlic Pork Loin. Vacuum sealed and in my Anova,

Name:	IMG_1521.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	1130848

A pot of Keto Gravy, no flour or gluten.

Name:	IMG_1522.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1130849

Sliced with Gravy

Name:	IMG_1523.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	1130850

and, Wife approved!

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wife approves matters way more than my "it looks great "

Felt like a mapo tofu night. Its one of my favorite sichuan dishes and good for a cold night. Had a container of silken tofu in my fridge and happened to see a small package of ground pork at the supermarket, so figured it was time.

First I fried up some ground pork in oil that has been steeped with sichuan peppercorns

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4178[1].JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.48 MB ID:	1131087

Added in some doubanjiang, shao xing rice wine, dark soy and chicken stock and a cornstarch slurry
    ​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4179[1].JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.70 MB ID:	1131086

Folded in a container of silken tofu that I cubed.
    ​ Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4180[1].JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.74 MB ID:	1131085

Finished dish topped with chili oil, toasted and ground sichuan peppercorns and scallions. Spicy, tingly and hearty.
    ​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4181[1].JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.82 MB ID:	1131084 ​
    Last edited by shify; November 23, 2021, 07:51 AM. Reason: Fixed the pictures

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      Pics aren't showing for me, but I love me some mapo tofu.

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      mnavarre - weird - I see them on my screen. Just re-added the pictures, so hopefully that works
      Last edited by shify; November 23, 2021, 07:51 AM.

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      I despise t**o, but I gotta admit - I'd sure eat that version! Nice job.

Saturday night, planned for dinner time of 8pm.

Rubbed 20 sweet potatoes in olive oil, salt and dill seeds and put on 2 sheet pans. Into the 275F oven at 5pm. Prepared labneh

(As an aside, something that I have learned about from my wife are the existence of 2/3 size sheet pans. They fit in domestic ovens but are a few inches larger than half size sheet pans. They are great to cook with. If I remember I can find a link later)

Prepared cooler with hot tap water. Trusty old anova was having trouble heating that amount of water up to 150F. Used a sauce pan to take out water, boil it on the stove and put it back in the cooler. Let it equalize via circulation, then repeat until boosted to 150. Anova was able to maintain. Dropped the briskets in at 6pm.

Sweet potatoes were taking up the whole oven, so the plan was to use the gas grill to bake off the pan of Mac and cheese. Fiddled with the burners on the left and put a probe on the right and adjusted the burners until 375F on probe. Seemed OK. Topped m&c with toasted panko and parmesan, re covered and threw on the grill at 7pm. Came back and turned the pan every 10 minutes.

Dressed slaw.

Started charring asparagus on the cast iron flat top. Asparagus was dry and unseasoned and the pan was dry. I saw this technique in a video recently. Rolled them up and down to get good color on the outside then tossed in a foil pan with salt and olive oil. The dry charring of them gives them nice color and flavor without making them limp. They were delicious and I was very happy with how they came out. It's certainly not asparagus season but I like it and it seems to be a crowd pleaser.

Started cooking the pre-blanched rabe in brisket tallow, minced garlic, and crushed red pepper.
    At 7:40 I temped the m&c on the grill and found that it was still 65F. Not sure what was going on, but didn't have time to troubleshoot. Decided to finish the potatoes slightly early and move the mc to the oven. 40 minutes on a grill barely took the chill off?

Did not get char on the top of the potatoes from the broiler. They were still mostly there so I pulled and put in a foil pan.
    Temped the m&c at ~135, then removed foil to finish and then hit the crust with the broiler. Weak electric broiler but gas range?

Pulled the first brisket from the water and unwrapped. Lost a fair amount of bark. It sliced up great, smelled great. Moved to foil pan.

Dinner was served at ~8:30pm. Got the groom-to-be to make himself a plate, then everyone else made plates. Got the second brisket ready to slice but didn't need too much of it as everyone was served.

Poured mysef a TALL drink and went outside for some air. When I went back in to make myself a plate, it was SILENT. It was the highest praise I could ask for.

Flyers lost. Sixers lost.

I included a photo of Griswold, who is a very good boy. He got some tasty treats throughout the weekend and had a very good time.

Packed up leftovers for people to take home.

This was definitely the best brisket I have ever made and I am pretty sure it caused me to realize that I have definitely never eaten proper brisket. I have not been to Texas since knowing anything about bbq and the scene is not too robust where I live. I used to think brisket was over rated but I think I get it now. These were both a little under-done from ideal (I mean, I think they were) but it caused me to realize that every other brisket I have had or made has been way over done. I also think that the Akorn was really overloaded from two briskets of this size and the bark suffered from less airflow. I was definitely pushing the limits of what was possible with my equipment. I would rate these at probably 80% of perfection (on a real scale, not the "anything less than 5 stars is considered a failure).

Thanks for all the encouragement and kind words from everyone over this project. I hope people have found it interesting. I think I have one more post's worth of cooking then I can go back to enjoying all the photos of great food you all post in these threads all the time!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gboss; November 23, 2021, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc Kathryn thank you for the kind words! My buddy told me, "No one asked you to do this, but I am SO GLAD you did and rocked it." It was very satisfying and it definitely earned me some cred among my friends. I'm back to my "normal" engineering grindstone today.
      And, truth be told, at least half my motivation was the captive audience to serve beef tongue to. I have this crazy idea that most "regular" people who like beef would like it given the right context. More on that later...

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Just awesome! You rock my friend!

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      What a labor of love. Thanks for bringing us along. You must be exhausted!!

gboss again… this journey has been the bomb! Thank you!

Comment

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn thank you for the kind words! Glad you enjoyed following it! It was really fun challenging myself like this. And, I think I really impressed my wife, which is always a good thing

Wild boar on the grill yesterday.. with potatoes au gratin and grilled veggies..

Name:	20211121_153934~2.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1131057 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211121_160401~3.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1131056 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211121_172720~3.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1131055

Comment

Name:	IMG-2736.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1131071
    Akaushi Waygu Sirloin with pommes fondant & roasted broccoli

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks awesome!

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Gorgeous.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is an A+ presentation

This cook is an example of why I really like the options the SNS Deluxe Kamado gives me for cooking.

I had a couple of steaks (1 pound bone-in NY strips from Fresh Market) dry brining for a day in the fridge, and decided to just light the left over lump way down in the bottom of the kamado, left over from doing a Boston butt a week or two ago. Just removed the deflector and grates, stirred things around to get the ashes to drop through the bottom, and put 2 starter cubes down there, and let it rip for about 30 minutes.

You can start your steaks way up high on the elevated grate to get them gradually coming up to temperature...

Name:	IMG_7050.jpeg
Views:	333
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	1131100

And if you are ready for a sear, you can move them WAY DOWN LOW to the upper charcoal grate, which is stainless just like the main cooking grate...

Name:	IMG_7052.jpeg
Views:	392
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	1131098

And if they are not quite done when you get the sear you want, just move them up to the main level, while a side or something cooks as well...

Name:	IMG_7054.jpeg
Views:	342
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	1131101

Finished product!

Name:	IMG_7056.jpeg
Views:	338
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	1131099

Now, the down side.... this was the worst steak I've ever bought from The Fresh Market. It was choice, not prime, and just was too tough. Both the wife and I thought it had great flavor (likely helped by the dry brine, Hank's Signature Steak Rub, and a charcoal cook), and while there were some nice tender spots in the middle, it was just too much gristle and waste, especially with a big bone down one edge. And before you ask, I took my steak to 135F and hers to 145F (she likes it medium well).

Comment

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, my wife came home with the same steaks from FM, but mine did NOT come out looking like that! That looks really, really good. I had the same thought about waste, but they were flavorful enough I didn't mind too much. Fortunately, ours were very well marbled and tender - no complaints on that score.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great - sorry about the toughness. I have found in the last couple of years that even the Prime New Yorks I have purchased sometimes leave a bit to be desired. I don't know why. A decade ago I would have said that a New York was just as good as a rib-eye. These days I can't compare the two for the reason you stated.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 I normally buy whole strip loins - prime if I can find it, otherwise choice - and cut my steaks myself. I've never had a bad one going that way. Unfortunately, the last $7.99 per pound NY strip was depleted from the freezer a month or two ago! . These two precut bone in strips were tough, even though supposedly choice. I may have to switch to ribeyes next time too.

OK, final update from this project. I really do appreciate everyone's patience reading this stuff.

Breakfast sandwiches Sunday morning. Lot of bacon. "Greg, can you just fry up a bunch more scrapple pieces?" You got it. Made a couple of brisket egg and cheese sandwiches, but most of the leftover brisket was already packed for people to take home. Didn't have time/motivation etc to make the planned leftovers hash.

Eagles had a 1pm game. Served my beef tongue cheesesteaks to the 8 people still sticking around for the game. Everyone finished theirs really quickly and had positive things to say. I am hoping to suss out some more real feedback about them. In my haste, I forgot to add salt and pepper to the beef when adding it to cook. The saltiness from the cheese and rabe made it OK, but it could have been better if properly seasoned. Next time.

Eagles won.

Cleaned up, packed up, sobered up. Got home around 11pm Sunday, very very glad I had taken Monday off.

Griswold is still a very good boy.
    Attached Files

Comment

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      Amazing! I hope you had a dedicated cleanup crew!

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      And Griswold is, quite clearly, a very good boy indeed.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      The eagle has landed. Mission accomplished.

I know, I know, enough bread photos already, lol!

I just really liked this close up from this mornings bake. Two more in bulk ferment for tomorrow, and then will bake 2 more on thanksgiving for my family.

Click image for larger version  Name:	28E9A729-96AD-43AC-8051-0E300E013AE7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	1131337

Name:	3628CD1A-68ED-42CF-AD8E-DCE8DF798441.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	1131348
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; November 23, 2021, 05:28 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper, lol! That’s my measuring stick for my gluten network.

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      I thought it was a neo-realist post-modern sculpture...

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper and DaveD - You both have made me laugh too hard. So many other images now come to mind, none of which I can put into print. I will now avoid looking at clouds this week.

Low and slow chuckie finished wrapped in foil with some coffee porter. Rub was SNS "not just for beef" rub.

Name:	0AC5F5CC-5798-4406-BB01-000C1E990398.jpeg
Views:	310
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	1131365

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      STEbbq spaceman knives. It was someone else who posted them originally but i loved the handles so i picked a few up. They are comfy and razor sharp.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! Thank you. I knew there was space in the name but forgot the rest. It’s been bugging me for a while.

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks incredible. I so love beef!

Thai Kabocha Squash Soup. The recipe calls for sliced Thai chiles on top, I went with blistered shishitos. Very tasty stuff.

Name:	2021-11-23 18.21.06.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	1131382

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great!

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful.

I had posted a lamb shank KBQ/Braise a couple of weeks ago, and mentioned that it all went into the freezer due to a cold passing around the extended family.

Well, last night we enjoyed half of it. Served over homemade spaetzle.

From prior post:

Name:	IMG_9485.jpeg
Views:	326
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	1131399 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9531.jpeg
Views:	295
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1131400 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9534.jpeg
Views:	305
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	1131404 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9536.jpeg
Views:	303
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	1131402 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9542.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	1131405 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9544.jpeg
Views:	291
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	1131403

Last night:

Name:	IMG_9645.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	1131406 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9648.jpeg
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1131401

Comment

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, amazing. Lamb shanks added to the cook list!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Baaaaaaaaaaaa

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent way to bring that back! Just looks wonderful!

Lotsa leftover pulled pig from my weekend smoke. Tonight I sauteed some chopped sweet onion & garlic in a splash of EVOO, sprinkled in some cumin and oregano, and then added the pork to that with a quarter stick o'butter and heated it through. Meanwhile, heated & simmered the last, small portion of a from-scratch Hatch red chile sauce I'd made some time back. Loaded some flour tortillas with the pork and red chile sauce, shredded cheese, and wrapped 'em up to serve with Spanish rice, guacamole, and sour cream. Not sure what to call these... burrnitas? Carnurritos? They were damn tasty.

Name:	20211123_182604.jpg
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	1131422 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211123_183904.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1131423 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211123_183949.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1131421

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      DaveD looks great! Love the name mash-up. When I know I will be preparing some sort of south-of-the-border style meal with leftovers, I call it tachodillas or tachodillachilas. Which means, it may be tacos, nachos, quesadilla or enchiladas. All depends on what’s on hand 🤣

• SammyJ
      SammyJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Just plain good!

• DaveD
      DaveD commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob, you're far too kind -- the butt from which I made this leftover dish is only the ninth time I've smoked anything (not counting bacon). I'm the one who'll be doing all the learning for a while I'm sure! And I'll certainly be subscribing once the trial is nearly done, this place is great.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here