Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakfast: Steak and eggs using leftover Bison ribeye. Also, red Hatch chili, cheddar, and bacon biscuits with red Hatch chili cream gravy.

Dutch oven biscuits with three extras in a small skillet.

Click image for larger version  Name:	steakneggs1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.17 MB ID:	1130077

Eggs cooked in the Stargazer skillet
    Click image for larger version  Name:	steakneggs2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.19 MB ID:	1130079
    The eggs completely covered the ribeye. Gravy for the win!

Click image for larger version  Name:	steakneggs3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.66 MB ID:	1130078

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      I aim to please!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Delicious

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome work. That looks so dang good.

The 6lbs of pork belly left after our Bahn Mi cook. Bacon made with Meathead’s standard recipe.
    Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Save me a slice!

Brunch Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211121_163938040.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	1130146

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      That's art

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I second theroc

Chili over fire. Yes there is beans in the chili. Sorry to my Texas friends and others who don't like beans in your chili.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a great set up!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Ys David! I have been doing quite a bit of Dutch oven cooking as of late. Great stuff.

• Whiskeyman53
      Whiskeyman53 commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks great and the set up is awesome. A dutch oven is my next cast iron addition.

First of many batches of venison jerky. SnS Kamado with the FireBoard+Fan kept the temperature locked at *censored* F. Wasn’t sure how a kamado would handle dehydrating but it did great.
    Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Censoring temps is not allowed! Hahahahaha

• jhapka
      jhapka commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 I don’t want meathead to know I broke the rules. I don’t want coal in my stocking

Was doing a dry run on my WSM to get ready for Thursday when I realized that I Was wasting a good smokertunity so I threw some homemade Mac and cheese 🧀 on there that I made for the kids.
    Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      "Smokertunity"

LOVE THAT! And the Mac and cheese looks delicious!

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Smokertunity. My new favorite word!

Tried out Heath Riles recipe for Smoked Onion Dip. Excellent! Recipe at heathrilesbbq.com!
    Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great!

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      That Garlic Jalapeno rub is one of my favorites! Goes good on everything!

Unexpectedly delicious - grilled romaine with balsamic vinaigrette, crispy country ham bits, and fresh grated parmesan. I was inspired by the the Netflix special featuring Lennox Hastie who managed to earn a Michelin star with a restaurant cooking with only fire. My wife greenlighted my half hearted offer to try it, and I'm glad I did. It was very good, unlike the the rest of what I cooked.

Not pictured: very disappointing yard bird. Despite spatchcock and seasoning, I've had more interesting Wonderbread.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211121_193440.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	1130313
    Last edited by Caffeine88; November 21, 2021, 07:45 PM. Reason: Because no matter how many times I read it, I still can't catch all the stupid mistakes.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      I often do grilled romaine with my homemade Caesar dressing. So tasty! Yours looks great. Sorry about the chicken 😞

• BradNorthGA
      BradNorthGA commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry the chicken didn't turn out no good, but that romaine looks amazing!

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks great! I loved that episode on Netflix, watching it again right now.

I give you: Chili Colorado (literally, "Chili with Color").

It is similar to Texas-style chili, except it does not use any "spicy" spices (cayenne, etc.) but relies on the rich, earthy flavor of Mexican dried chiles.

This is the best chili I have ever made to date (full disclosure, I have yet to try Troutman's!). I followed Sam the Cooking Guys's recipe (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMmlqF2y82Q) with one significant exception. Sam dices the chuck roast, seasons it, then browns it in a skillet. I elected to smoke it over hickory in my PBC and it WAS AMAZING.

Last night, I started a dry brine with Meat Church's (Matt Pitman) Holy Cow Rub, which is a Texas-style brisket rub. This was my first time using it on anything other than eggs.

Here's 3.5 lb of USDA Select chuck roast about to go in the fridge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5143.JPG Views:	4 Size:	3.10 MB ID:	1130368

I got it on my PBC early and used two chunks of hickory.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rolling.jpg Views:	4 Size:	95.5 KB ID:	1130369

I kept my PBC between 285-300 the entire cook. I wasn't exactly sure when I wanted to pull it. I decided it would be the three-hour mark or when it hit the stall. I pulled it at 150 F, which is when the bark was perfectly set and also happened to be the three-hour mark so that worked out well.

I then let it rest/cool while I prepped the rest of the ingredients for the chili, which comprises several guajillo, ancho, and hatch chilis rehydrated and liquified in a blender, plus some onions, tomatoes, garlic, cumin, and Mexican oregano. (I am very lucky that dried chilies are readily available at my local grocery store.)

I diced up the chuck roast into small cubes. Wow, this sliced perfectly. And that Holy Cow rub is excellent! If you like black pepper, it is wonderful. Wonderful beefy flavor in that chuck! I actually had to stop myself from snacking on the cubes. I needed to save some for the chili!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5146.JPG Views:	4 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	1130371
    In everything goes.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5147.JPG Views:	4 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	1130372

After simmering for four hours, chili intensified in color and flavor and the meat was perfectly tender. And yes, the chili really is that red.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-5148.JPG Views:	4 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	1130370

I served it with some corn pudding (creamed corn, fresh corn, cornmeal, eggs, condensed milk, and seasonings), whose sweetness perfectly balanced the spice of the chili. (Adam Ragusea Corn Pudding recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpmzN4HFbHs)
    Last edited by Michael_in_TX; November 21, 2021, 09:18 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful chili, and thanks for the recipe and explanations.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks delicious! PBC, PBC, PBC!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I can eat Chili Colorado, extra spicy, by the quart. Husband is always amazed at how much I can put away at our fav Tex-Mex restaurant, swilling down a margarita (rocks, salt) from a stemmed glass, the circumference of which is bigger than my face! Ahhhh. Perfect meal.

I like what you did with one of my fav foods. I may walk your way with that recipe. Thanks so much for posting it.

Kathryn

Here's a better shot of the corn pudding. It is very rich. (There's an entire can of condensed milk in the thing!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5149.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1130389

Comment

Is it too early for a turkey post? My mom wanted to do the turkey this year so I cooked mine today. This was a pasture raised bird and I spatchcocked, dry brined, and then just seasoned with salt and pepper. Smoked at around 325 for just over 2 hours. Looked great and tasted just as good.

Name:	20211121_182203.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	1130429

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice Joe!

• Whiskeyman53
        Whiskeyman53 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice job, what smoker did you use for the bird?

• JoeSousa
        JoeSousa commented
        Editing a comment
        Whiskeyman53 This was on my Weber 26 with the SNS XL.

KBQ chikin thighs

Name:	PXL_20211121_233224623.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	1130447

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Delicious!

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        People say that a thigh in your hand will put a smile on your face...

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        As will a breast……. We’re talking chicken parts here, get your mind outta the gutter.

Seared, sous vide, and seared again kurobuta pork loin. Meathead's pork rub. Served with roasted potatoes and broccoli.

Name:	PXL_20211122_021438314.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	1130451

Name:	PXL_20211122_023316267.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	1130452

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks moist and cooked to perfection

Made a New York style maple cheesecake this morning. Smells heavenly and it is mostly keto. I used a monk fruit sugar substitute and sugar free maple syrup. Had to stay with the graham cracker crust though. Approaching burnt on the top, next time I'll reduce the initial temp from 500* to 475 or 450. There will be a cooked down maple syrup topping later. Supposed to have walnuts in the topping but IMO nuts are too be eaten on their own and don't belong in food.

New York Maple-Walnut Cheesecake Recipe - NYT Cooking (archive.org)

Last edited by pkadare; November 22, 2021, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        The cheesecake cooked at that high a temp? Wow! Looks amazing, looking forward to seeing a slice 🤤

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn - 500* for the first 15 minutes, then you drop the temp to 200*, cook for an additional hour, then turn off the oven, open the door 1/2 way and leave for 1/2 an hour, then refrigerate. A different technique for sure, can't wait to try it.

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        pkadare I feel much better now. My method is similar. Start high, then lower. I also do a water bath.

The tops of yours look flawless. But here’s a trick I learned: after you pour the batter, lift it an inch or two off the counter and drop. Do this a few times to release any air bubbles to prevent cracking.

Kids out of school this week..... That means.....

Name:	PXL_20211122_155107933~2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	1130632 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        BTW, fzxdoc For some reason, Kenji has moved to Seattle! He's opened a teriyaki chicken place. https://www.grillbird.com

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn - I do that trick but another issue (and a really important one) is the amount of butter I like to put in. She does not like the amount of butter I use and so I defer. The nice thing is that my kids will be home around the holidays AND my mom will cook the eggs at least once during that time. Gonna get My scrambled eggs on!
        Last edited by tbob4; November 23, 2021, 10:39 PM.

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4 Mom's are the best. (Except for wives, they're the bestest of the best.)

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here