Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a very hectic day here. Smoked a couple of small pork butts for my wife's students. Since there's a vegan and a couple of vegetarians in the group, I also grilled some eggplant slices for sliders. Who knew that you could make vegan raita using vegan yogurt and vegan sour cream? That stuff actually turned out to be edible.

Butts:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-11-16 13.41.37.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	1127547

Name:	2021-11-16 14.19.22.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	293.9 KB
ID:	1127548

Sorry, things were moving too fast to get any pics of the eggplant. It was dusted with Hank's KC Royale before grilling. Butts got a dry brine of Bad Byron's Butt Rub overnight.

Comment

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great. No problem with lack of eggplant pictures.

• Sid P
      Sid P commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim White Those don’t look like you cut a big one in half. Where do you buy them, and how long do you smoke them?

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Sid P I just got them out of the meat case at Publix. They cooked at 275 a little over 5 hours and then another hour and a half to two hours at 300.

Sheet pan simplicity. Italian sausage, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, and onion.

Name:	20211116_182505~2_resize_46.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	1127571

Name:	20211116_191628~2_resize_71.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	1127572

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking meal, and so simple. Thanks for the inspiration.

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s the perfect balance!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like something I want to replicate. Thanks!

Not the prettiest presentation, but was wife’s birthday and she wanted steak and baked potatoes at home. Before anyone asks if it’s ketchup or catsup, it’s cheese and salsa.
    Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      If it was ketchup, divorce her. JK (I hate ketchup as y’all know)

Fine birthday dinner! Happiest birthday wife of glitchy

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy Birthday!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it and yes - I would have thought ketchup

Watching the Canada🇨🇦/Mexico🇲🇽 World Cup ⚽️ qualifier (after watching a disappointing USA🇺🇸/Jamaica🇯🇲 game).
    So, for dinner tonight, quick but delicious quesadillas with Mexican cheese mix, black beans, spinach, avocado, cilantro, lime, and home made salsa.
    I roasted our final harvest (from Hood River) of tomatoes, tomatillas, garlic, plus store bought Anaheim, poblano, and serranos, onions. All on the KBQ while I was starting the Troutman lamb shank cook. Rehydrated a dried ancho and pasilla, fresh cilantro, salt & pepper. Simple and delicious. Oh, Canada! Viva México!

Name:	IMG_9526.jpeg
Views:	337
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	1127588 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9527.jpeg
Views:	314
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	1127589 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9528.jpeg
Views:	308
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1127590 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9530.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1127591 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9529.jpeg
Views:	309
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1127592

Name:	IMG_9565.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	1127594

Name:	IMG_9566.jpeg
Views:	310
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	1127593

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      This looks so incredibly tasty, great photos s well!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Killing it! Delicious.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      very creative use of the KBQ

Continuation of prep week described here:

Tonight's tasks: slice the bacon and trim and season the briskets.

I recently bought some "tomato slicer" blades that are spaced 3/16" and 1/4". I am hoping to use them to make some kind of bacon and brisket slicer tool thing. They they will need some tension to keep them straight. For this time, I was able to run the blades over the corners to make slicing guide lines that were pretty evenly spaced.

Dexter russel scalloped slicer is perfect for this task, btw.

Also did a test run of the sweet potato recipe as written. I had done a "shortcut" before involving pre-heating the potatoes using a microwave before slow roasting. I am not nuking 21 potatoes on Saturday, so they are getting slow roasted from the beginning. cboss made the maple mustard pork tenderloin and roasted veg.
    Attached Files

Comment

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Not going to waste anyone's time with Wednesday's prep: I'm sure you all have seen scrubbed sweet potatoes.

However, I did nearly have a lasagna cell incident with the one brisket in the steel hotel pan. Thankfully, I didn't use mustard as a binder so there was no real acid on the surface, only salt and pepper, so it just caused a couple of tiny pinholes. I thought it might have been pepper when I first looked at it, but there was nothing above the covered pan. Cut the but of fat with contact

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Cut the bit of fat with contact off and re-covered in plastic (I had only used the foil because it's wider and can go on in one piece.)

Meathead warned us all about this and here's a friendly reminder:
      My foil-wrapped lasagna has holes in the foil: what's going on here? Some chemicals in foods react badly with certain metals and can even create toxins. Here's what you need to know about reactive and corrosive metals, how your lasagna can create a sort of electric battery cell, and how to avoid this problem.
      Last edited by gboss; November 18, 2021, 11:35 AM.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are perfect slices!

Don't see beef back ribs very often anymore. Grabbed a pack, rubbed with Meathead's Red Meat rub, and reverse seared them over a live red oak fire on the Buckaroo. Photos show the ribs getting their sear on. Served with broccoli and leftover risotto.

Name:	PXL_20211116_022751428.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	1127773

Name:	PXL_20211116_024412802.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	1127774

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh jeez!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Look great!

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks awesome! I almost bought some the other day but they were $80 so I put them back!

Simple

Name:	PXL_20211117_003049100.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	1127976

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful. What is the meat?

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      theroc Johnsonville mild Italian sausage

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Easy for you to say,

First swing on developing this dish, not bad, I have so many tweaks & audibles that could & should happen. Pretty excited about going own the rabbit hole with this.

Parmesan crusted cod with a butter sauce,

Click image for larger version  Name:	EEB6BB89-E496-404B-A0F2-789E54FD62CB.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	362.7 KB ID:	1127986
    Click image for larger version  Name:	5F9EFA63-DAA3-415C-85F0-36A873D12F66.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	423.0 KB ID:	1127985
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; November 17, 2021, 06:48 PM.

Comment

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Richard Chrz - yes I believe so, or it would share a Paprika file through either email or text. I can’t remember which, but I have shared recipes via the app with my buddy, it’s just been a bit. We will figure it out. And looking forward to giving this a try. Don’t worry, it doesn’t need to perfected. What you have would be just fine!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, Let me know too, if you would. This sounds great man.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks fantastic, Richard. I feel envious. I screwed up beer-batter catfish last night. I couldn’t keep oil at a consistent temp on the stovetop. I’m going back to the Santa Maria where each little crank give you 5 degrees difference.

Washed the eggs, then 225 for a little less than 2 hours. Into the fridge overnight. Shelled today, and the whites went on for a 2 hour cold smoke. The ones with slices of sweet pickle are sprinkled with meat church holy voodoo rub. The others are boring paprika.

I wanted to smoke the yolks too, but got shutdown on that since I don't eat the things anyway. Also in the lower pic, you can see the difference between cold smoked only and the double smoke The row of 4 on the left was boiled, then the whites cold smoked for about an hour so they aren't straight white but do have less smoke for some guests.

This filling is made with this recipe my wife made me follow https://sugarspunrun.com/million-dollar-deviled-eggs/

Name:	smokin eggs.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	1128019

Name:	eggs shell coooked.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1128020

Name:	eggs cold.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	1128021

Name:	eggs.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1128022

Comment

My Secret Santa provided me with three Meathead rubs that came today. I smoked turkey breast tonight for a Thanksgiving work lunch tomorrow. I haven't carved it yet, but both Roy the dog and I think the poultry seasoning is absolutely delicious!

Name:	20211117_210907.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1128064

Comment

Richard Chrz I think we are connected on a higher realm. This was from last nights dinner:

Name:	298B7D94-C157-483C-955C-2AE5BFD36117.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1128160

Sitka Ling Cod, seared and then topped with panko, Romano, dried herbs drizzled with olive oil, mashed cauliflower, garlic spinach.

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a fine looking meal.

I smoked a chuck roast and a rack of baby backs yesterday. Both turned out great.
      Attached Files

Comment

14 hour chuck. MAK for 8 hours starting at smoke for 90 mins, then 245° for remainder, pulled at 150ish IT wrapped in butcher paper and tossed in 250° oven until done.
        Attached Files

Comment

Pork Loin, Garlic Roasted

Name:	IMG_1474.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	1128599

Name:	IMG_1478.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	1128598 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1479.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	1128597

Comment

Burger night. Swiss mushroom burger with caramelized onions.

Name:	49A2573A-BEF1-4D00-A955-A35FB23FCA6E.jpeg
Views:	266
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	1128619

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Duuuuude. You gotta make this for me at the Meat-UP.

• theroc
            theroc commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks like some messy goodness!

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker consider it done!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here