Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's pre MNF dinner. Simple and pretty good if I don't say so.

Butterfly coconut shrimp and beer battered fries. Deep fried. Accompanied by cocktail sauce and a nice red blend vino

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211115_184937.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1126812

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks really good!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I made beer battered fries last night! Takes them over the top.

Name:	2021-11-15 18.34.27.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	1126823

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Alright….stuffed bell peppers, one of my favorites. Good job!

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      looks really good!

Pork chop night.

Name:	20211115_160050.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	1126864

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!

Turkey Breast
    Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Good job! Nice crust.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      On your MAK?

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc On the MAK at 375.

Chicken adobo. I actually cooked this yesterday and left it overnight to bloom.

Name:	PXL_20211116_011734130.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	1126886

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks.....Blooming!

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      It blossomed.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks great. I couldn’t keep that chicken away from a tortilla, even if I wanted to.

Mushroom adobo tacos.

Name:	20211115_182042~3_resize_36.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	1126908

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahahahahaha. See my comment to Ernest above. You must have known I was scrolling and thinking.

Did my first Asian stir-fry tonight with a little help from my friends here at The Pit. I’ve done a few stir-frys before, but nothing really Asian, and, that turned out this good! Some of you might have seen my post asking for some help with this. Not surprisingly, I got lots of tips and suggestions from members more experienced at stir fry than me. Tonight, the $23. annual fee was worth it just for this.

Yesterday I put together the new SNS Kettle I recently bought, and wanted to try out the new Drip N Griddle pan I bought with it. I placed the pan over my SnS insert half filled with hot coals and then…..I know! The suspense is building….and you just can’t wait for my next words! 🙄

Anyway, I bought some pre sliced beef, and used as my vegetables: onion, bell pepper, bok choy, mushrooms, sugar snap peas, garlic, a jalapeño pepper and green onions. I stir fried the meat first and then the vegetables. RonB made an excellent suggestion to put my cut up vegetables in containers ahead of the cook, in order of most cooking time to least cooking time. (I told him I’d give him credit for that so I didn’t get sued) After it was all done I mixed it with some Udon Stir-Fry Noodles.

The cook turned out great, I actually ate an almost full plate and then another half plate! One thing I wanted to add, and this helped the flavor tremendously, is the use of something new to me. On a whim I bought some Thai Seasoning Stir-In Paste and mixed it with an almost equal amount of soy sauce. Right after I took everything off the grill I mixed in about a 1/3 cup of the paste and soy sauce mixture to my stir-fry. Trust me folks, this stuff is great! I’ll add a picture to show you what I used.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; November 16, 2021, 04:38 AM.

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s fun to do something different! 💪💪💪

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks really good!
      Gojujang - you gotta give that one a whirl, too.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great job and write-up

Click image for larger version  Name:	C66C49F8-0958-4F76-95AA-9C284340D68F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	83.9 KB ID:	1126955
    https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...46#post1126946

final plated epic fail

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

This stuff was so dry, it would have turned the rain forest into a desert! I could have redone the roof with the bark.

The sweet potato salad was really good. And my slaw is always a hit.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      What cut of pork did you use?

Kathryn

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc Leg. About 2#. When I got my pig share, I asked for smaller sizes because it’s just the two of us. Live and learn! I mentioned in the other post that I realized I thawed the wrong cut. Shoulda ground it or made chile verde.

Made some pickled jalapeno today..

Name:	20211116_144724~2.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1127103

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yeah!

So, yesterday I actually remembered that I took a chicken out of the freezer to thaw on Friday! Glad I remembered it, and it was certainly thawed by yesterday. I had meant to rotisserie it, but since I remembered it about 5pm, decided the only way to salvage dinner was to just cut it up and go for good old fashioned BBQ chicken - but with a twist! I was going for the Sweet Baby Ray's in the fridge and spotted a bottle of Bachan's Japanese BBQ sauce and went that route instead, brushing it on during the cook and using as a dipping sauce as well. No dry brine, but I seasoned the chicken with Hank's KC Royale before hitting the grill.

Being lazy and wanting to eat sooner rather than later, having had only a BLT to eat all day long, the Genesis II got the nod for this cook. No fires or greasy infernos this time, and it was hot and ready to go in the 10 minutes it took me to cut up a chicken. And although some of that skin has some char, I promise you I ate every bite of it, and it was delicious!

Yvonne contributed some lima beans and mashed potatoes and a salad, making for a very nice meal!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7017.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.64 MB ID:	1127171 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7022.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.14 MB ID:	1127172 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7023.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.40 MB ID:	1127173
    Last edited by jfmorris; November 16, 2021, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Jfrosty27 agreed. While the kamado and the flat top are my two most used grills these days, and the Performer and offset have their places, nothing beats a good conventional gas grill for stuff like a quick chicken cook. I am so thankful I have a back yard and have space for all these cookers!

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      It does look great. And I’ll bet the charred skin was the best part!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I see that sauce! I love that stuff. I fused mine with some Carolina Reapers.......kicks it up. Chicken looks great man.

I mentioned in my last SUWYC brisket cook that I am cooking for a friend's bachelor party this upcoming weekend. We're older and this is a round 2 for the groom, so the party is mainly going to be centered around food, alcohol, cornhole, billiards, sports, etc.

I am not in the industry and haven't really cooked for a group before, so this will be a challenge. My wife, cboss, who was previously in the industry has given me guidance, but this is my project. At this point in time, I am in good shape to actually pull it off.

Here's the menu:

19-21ppl, no vegetarians.

Friday:

Dinner:
    take out

Saturday:

Breakfast:
    Pork roll (4lbs)
    Scrapple (4lbs)
    Eggs (60ea)
    Brioche
    Potatoes (9-10lbs)

Lunch:
    Sandwich/take out

Dinner:
    BBQ Brisket (16lbs cooked weight, 2ea large packers)
    Slaw (4lbs)
    Meathead's Texas BBQ Juice (KC style sauce avail for brisket heretics)
    Asparagus (7lbs, grill/char)
    Rabe (7lbs, sautée, pre-blanch,)
    Sweet potatoes with garlic labneh (1ea medium sp/person)
    Mac n cheese (1 pan, baked)

Sunday:

Breakfast:
    Homemade Bacon (4lbs)
    Scrapple (4lbs)
    Eggs (60ea)
    Leftovers hash

Game time:
    Tongue cheesesteaks (10ea)

At this point, I have done all the shopping I need to do ahead of time and I have a prep schedule for this week.

This past weekend: Procurement.
    Monday: smoke the bacon that's been curing and make Meathead's Texas BBQ Juice.

I will make additional posts as I continue to prep and of course I will post photos of the results after next weekend.
    Attached Files

Comment

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Scrapple... that's another new one for me. It looks like the suet I buy for the birds (Pecker loves it and spends about 1/2 hour a day here eating on it). What did you do with that pile of scrapple? https://food52.com/recipes/35701-scrapple

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      treesmacker that link you posted is a very good description of scrapple. "tender, sausage-y, flavor-packed pâté fried crisp and golden" Fried it on a flat top, topped with cheese and put it on buns with fried eggs. I definitely overbought the scrapple so a few folks got party favors. It's absolutely delicious, but it's definitely something that is a rare treat and not an everyday thing.

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest I have been intriged by beef cheeks for a little while now but have not tried cooking them. They are on a short list of things to try soon. How do you finish them after the water bath?

Bubba Burgers on my flat griddle. I do enjoy cooking on it.

Name:	967B93E7-EA3F-4C5C-8739-B30CE8892838.jpeg
Views:	322
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	1127334 Click image for larger version

Name:	B686FBFA-F64F-466F-9068-40D4E8B3F8C1.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	1127335

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Bubba burgers are highly underrated. Especially when a crowd is involved

Not what I'm cooking, but what we cooked over the weekend. We do this annually for a group in our neighborhood. This year's guest of honor, Hamela Anderson, came in at a whopping 160 lbs. After 13 hours & 45 minutes she was done; more beautiful than when we began.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4499.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.36 MB ID:	1127385
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4501.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.49 MB ID:	1127383
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4504.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.54 MB ID:	1127384 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4506.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.99 MB ID:	1127382
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4509.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	1127386

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the piggie's name. She's a beaut.

Kathryn

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a fantastic cook!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      THIS IS BBQ!!!!

A little Fried chikin action. Drizzled over some Spicy honey.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211117_002712275.jpg Views:	30 Size:	3.81 MB ID:	1127487
    Last edited by Ernest; November 17, 2021, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Me want dat tonight!

I don’t know what really to call this - was supposed to be Chicken and broccoli with brown sauce but the broccoli was usually. So, a pivot to chicken and noodles with brown sauce, which turned out great! There was a creaminess to this sauce that came about with the noodles that I have not got when I serve this over rice. May be the way I go about this in the future!

Name:	8B01632D-1C93-4606-9D05-B3926B5842BA.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	1127520

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      What kind of noodles are those? The dish looks great!

• barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John - they are Barilla gluten free fettuccine noodles. Made from corn and rice flour, so similar to a rice noodle. And after making these similar to how I do for rice noodles when I make Pad Thai, I think these actually work better for this. But, just my experience.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd call it tasty.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here