Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yardbird on the SnS Kettle …. Still figuring it out a bit, but not bad for the first try

Stacy told me to take this picture and show the smoke ring!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	68EE0D92-460A-4A3B-924E-55C030C6BE82.jpeg
Views:	343
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	1118555

Fried potatoes

Name:	2936B7F5-C83F-40A0-A437-E816BB37B94C.jpeg
Views:	330
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	1118556

Fall salad - lettuce, celery, carrot, cucumber, apple

Name:	825AC2C2-55E4-428C-AA1E-6B00D290F660.jpeg
Views:	336
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	1118557

Comment

Steak and salad tonight. No pic of the salad, so trust it existed or not.

On the left are steaks cut from a whole prime tenderloin I got from Creekstone the last time they had them on sale. On the right is a prime ribeye from Click Akaushi .

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211101_162803.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	1118564I kept the seasoning to a minimum using only SPG to let the meat shine the brightest.
      I'm glad I went that route with the ribeye, but the GF noticed right away that her steak was missing its usual flavor of Hanks Steak rub. She didn't hesitate to remind me that her steak cook is locked, with no deviations from the norm allowed. She doesn't know yet that Hank has pulled out of the U.S. market, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

The cook was a straight forward reverse sear on the pooper and flat top. A tube with hickory for the smoke, and the pooper set to run at 225°. Final sear done on the Blackstone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211101_164343.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	1118566

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211101_175735.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.09 MB ID:	1118565 Click image for larger version  Name:	20211101_180219.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.54 MB ID:	1118567 The ribeye from Click was not inexpensive, but oh boy was it good. Great beef flavor and very tender. I can't afford to eat these every week, but for special occasions, this is now going to be my go to steak. The Creekstone tenderloin is also a great cut of meat, but it just lacks the full beefy goodness of the ribeye.
      Last edited by willxfmr; November 1, 2021, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        So excited to hear the Click Akashi was tasty. My picanha is on the menu for Saturday night.

All this talk of chili and the fact that BF hinted at meatless Monday’s (don’t worry, I’ll still keep him) and my excess of veggies from CSA….. may I present sweet potato chili. We topped with shredded cheddar, sliced scallions and sour cream. In hindsight, wish I had some fresh corn bread. We are not veg or vegan or none of that, he just brought it up so I stepped up. It was pretty dang tasty, I must say.

Name:	AE040819-261B-4471-9CEA-D23AC5513B19.jpeg
Views:	344
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1118611

Comment

I recently ordered the Porter Rd. Anniversary box and decided to use the pork chops in a very Autumn dinner last night. Pork Chops & Apple Sauce (not really, but sort of) with baked sweet potato and sauteed brussel sprouts with onions and bacon crumbles.

I'm linking to the recipe (minus the sides) because it was too good not to share.https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ecipe2-1957219
      Attached Files

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        You cook a good chop dinner!

Smoked an eye of the round in the pellet grill for roast beef sandwiches. Dry brined for 6 hours and rubbed with Meathead's big bad beef rub.

Name:	20211102_114242.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	1118705Read a suggestion to wrap the roast in foil and refrigerate it overnight to make it easier to thinly slice . It was easier and retained its juices.

Comment

Somehow, I had a nicely wet-aged prime brisket on my hands that was only about 10 pounds before trimming. The previous plans for a get-together I would cook it for didn't work out, and then I realized my birthday was coming up. It was just meant to be. So today I spent my birthday smoking a brisket. Turned out pretty well.

I trimmed and separated it last night and dry brined overnight. This morning, I hit it with cooking spray and Flatiron Pepper Company Dark and Smoky rub. I'm turning into a real fan of that stuff.

For a side, I decided to try Meathead's Bourbon BBQ Baked Beans from the free side. I used half a pound of Rancho Gordo cranberry beans that I soaked overnight. Also, because I can't leave well enough alone, I swapped in dark rum for the bourbon. Also, I put in a chipotle since I didn't have a jalapeno on hand. They had to cook more like 4 hours and I eventually turned the oven up a bit over 300 to get there, but these things were the bomb. Will do again for sure. Also baked a white sweet potato from our CSA basket.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-11-02 17.30.14.jpg Views:	59 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	1118815

I think this is when I took the point off; it was probe tender at about 195.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-11-02 13.53.17.jpg Views:	57 Size:	154.1 KB ID:	1118817

I only sliced up some point for tonight (with it being my birthday, I was in charge and didn't have to sacrifice the point for burnt ends only).

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-11-02 17.32.45.jpg Views:	60 Size:	160.5 KB ID:	1118818

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-11-02 17.35.18.jpg Views:	58 Size:	152.8 KB ID:	1118819

Edit : adding photo of flat sliced the next day for dinner so Dr. Pepper can see it didn't dry out. (Couldn't get the cursor down below the plated pic, sorry.)

Name:	2021-11-03 18.36.24.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	1119413

Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-11-02 18.02.04.jpg Views:	59 Size:	233.7 KB ID:	1118816
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Jim White; November 3, 2021, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Belated birthday wishes Sir.

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          BTW cook looks fantastic.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Happy belated! That is a mighty fine cook!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JIMBO!

Name:	A25D6F21-39C0-4123-BB64-5DF8BFF33422.png
Views:	330
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	1118821

Comment

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

The good news is no matches arrived, so we are safe from incineration for now.

Salmon "burnt ends"! Closer to smoked salmon bites, but still very enjoyable. Inspired by the Over the Fire Cooking Blog with some Malcom Reed elements (rub and glaze). Dry cured, a time out in the fridge, and then smoked for 2 hours and 20 minutes at 185 on the Grilla OG.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting.. I have to try this..

• barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          How was the texture? They look good!

• Baltimorelger
          Baltimorelger commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty good texture. I feel like whenever I hot smoke salmon it’s a little stiff. These were a little softer which I liked.

Breakfast sandwich on home made sourdough kaiser roll...

Name:	20211028_105949.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1118971

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          treesmacker did you score the buns by hand? The rolls look amazing! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          SheilaAnn Look at the treesmacker post over on the sourdough thread. All he did was to use his 3D printer to make a gizmo for imprinting the buns.

In separate news, I'm feeling really inadequate today.

• Dr. Pepper
          Dr. Pepper commented
          Editing a comment
          ? Kaiser stamp? And if so, which one, from where?

Yesterday I cooked a pork butt on the SnS Kettle. It's probably the best cook yet on the SnS. Bark was amazing! I did it more Eastern North Carolina style, except for not having an entire pig to cook :-)

Rub:

1 TBSP dark brown sugar (you never taste it, but it helps build that bark)
        1 TBSP chili powder
        1 TBSP sweet paprika
        1 TBSP onion powder
        1 TBSP garlic powder

I dry brined overnight, then put the rub on about 5 minutes before going on the cooker. I used water for a binder.

When the pork butt hit about 140F internal, I started mopping it every 30-45 minutes using North Carolina Mike vinegar sauce. I stopped mopping when it hit about 185F and started checking for probe tender shortly after. Around 193, per the Fireboard, my probe said that pork butt was good. And the bone fell out. And the probe actually was pulling chunks of meat off the thing. Definitely done. Pulled it. Served with Potatoes au gratin and some steamed broccoli.

The color from that rub is pretty cool

Name:	SnS-Pork-Butt - 1.jpeg
Views:	294
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	1119217
        On the SnS at about 7:30 AM .... it was done around 6:00 PM

Name:	SnS-Pork-Butt - 2.jpeg
Views:	384
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1119211
        It's about 160F, been cooking for 4 hours at this point

Name:	SnS-Pork-Butt - 3.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1119213
        About 180F, been on about 8 hours now

Name:	SNS-Pork-Butt - 10.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1119214
        Checking for done and it started pulling with a thermapen!!!

Name:	SNS-Pork-Butt - 11.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	1119212
        The whole house is smelling of nothing but pork bbq goodness

Name:	SNS-Pork-Butt - 6.jpeg
Views:	294
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1119218
        Pulled so easily

Name:	SNS-Pork-Butt - 7.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	1119215
        Added some more of that awesome vinegar sauce after it was pulled

Name:	SNS-Pork-Butt - 5.jpeg
Views:	303
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1119216 ​

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          That bark looks like lava rock! 👍

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Who doesn't love a beautiful porky meteorite?

Great job!

So how did you like the more vinegary vibe to that PB?

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; November 4, 2021, 07:32 AM.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          the heat and vinegar in the bark was pronounced. Mixed in with the rich pork meat, it was great. Really enjoyed it. Definitely will do it again. The bark was really good by itself, too. very flavorful and crusty, but not chewy and overcooked. Thanks guys, this one was fun!

I should note that I didn't wrap at all. Just let it ride. It had a pretty strong stall, for about 3 hours, actually lost about 2 degrees temp during the stall.

Some sauna tacos. Tort, radish, cilantro, onion, crema, cheese and ribs! These were killer. just threw the left over KBQ ribs in my dutch oven and used the wood fired sauna stove to heat them up. After a few sauna/ice water cycles, we feasted. Great night and great food.

Name:	36494564-479A-4859-897F-7677FBA92AC5.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1119263

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          @Pahead John - or at least a very large tortilla...

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          No robes, ever.

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, casual!

Leftover chicken parm sliced up, a salad, and grilled cheese on sourdough.

Name:	143E2223-390B-4FF9-8A74-270B8C1BC14F.jpeg
Views:	272
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	1119402
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; November 3, 2021, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          Mmmmmmm! 😋

Cuban Sandwich

Name:	PXL_20211103_195247552.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	1119404

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Ernest, we’ll let it slide this time. But do know, we expect perfection, no less then that from you going forward,.. lol😜😜

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          I wasn’t gonna say anything, but……

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Ok, first attempt at Japanese Milk Bread a la KA site. I took the advice of (can’t remember who) and did only 30 g sugar. I haven’t checked out the KA site yet, but I think the salt called for was NOT for kosher salt. I felt this loaf could have used a bit more. Also, I had an egg from CSA and I think it was a bit smaller. I used half and half because that’s what I had on hand. I cut the recipe and made 2 smaller loaves because I shot my mouth off that I would share with my neighbor (dumb idea, not the sharing, but the splitting). All in all, tastes pretty good. A bit more dense than getting a loaf at HMart or Mitsuwa. Wondering if the size of the egg was a factor. Crumb came out nice. Crust has good color. I used that dark nonstick style pan and in pulling it from the pan, it split in half. First thing out of BF’s mouth? "Ooowwwweeeeee sliders!" 🤦🏼‍♀️

Name:	2493163F-7A3C-41A2-B031-5B1375272ED0.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	1119416

Comment

Shrimp and gri...... umm polenta...

Name:	PXL_20211104_023242712.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	1119568

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang dude.......again. LOL

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker summed up my thoughts too

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here