Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooked my world famous smoked chili (that is seriously gonna beat the chili that CaptainMike cooks) on the SnS Kettle for my second ever SnS cook. So far, so good! This is cook #2 of 4 planned cooks to learn the SnS

1. Tri-Tip - did that yesterday
    2. Smoked chili - today
    3. Roast chicken - Monday
    4. Pork butt - Tuesday

Smoked the onion on the SnS for about 45 minutes and the chuck roast until internal temp hit 155F. Used red oak for the smoke.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	10A4298F-E1BA-4FF2-AD10-CC1F184F9D92.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	1117981

That chuck roast is pretty! Got it at Safeway straight from their butcher, 3.1 lbs

Name:	1A61B899-0BEF-41DC-A4C3-B6D112D3F5B7.jpeg
Views:	352
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	1117978
    1/2 lb of my maple-whiskey bacon

Name:	77B802BB-12FA-4682-AE3E-9A7A5D5536D7.jpeg
Views:	287
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	1117980

Been cooking about 3 hours now!

Name:	2E9E12C5-BDC3-4232-A2AE-09318A8BE572.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	1117979

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Ha, ha, ha!!! I don't see the secret ingredients! You will never win, my benevolent nemesis!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I love ya CaptainMike, but you’re going down!

Did a Blackened Ribeye tonight and used my new butane burner for the first time. It worked great and always starts on the first click of the knob. It also got plenty hot to sear the steak.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; November 1, 2021, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      BradNorthGA Here’s a link to where I bought it. It’s a small portable gas burner, it works off a small 8oz. butane tank. I love it so far. Caffeine88 it has 15,000 BTU’s

With an enormous heat output of 15,000 BTUs, this Choice 1-burner high performance butane countertop range / portable stove with brass burner is perfect for off-site cooking applications, outdoor catering events, and omelet stations where electricity may not be readily available. It features a manual control knob to increase or decrease the flame, giving it an adjustable heat range (from boil to simmer), as well as a high-impact hard plastic black carrying case for easy transportation. The burner is easily removed, making cleaning a breeze after your event. Brass burners are an exceptional option for commercial settings! This burner's brass construction is corrosion-resistant and stands up to high heat temperatures, providing you with a long-lasting, durable product that resists warping over time. Plus, it also provides superior heat retention to distribute heat more evenly to your cookware, thus ensuring your foods are fully cooked throughout. For superior safety, this portable butane range features a lock feature that locks the butane canister in place, allowing the range to ignite; if the lock is not in place, it will not ignite. This butane range can only be used in 30+ degrees Fahrenheit temperatures. This butane cartridge sold separately.Overall Dimensions: Width: 14" Depth: 12" Height: 4" Cooking Surface Dimensions: Width: 8" Depth: 8"
      Last edited by Panhead John; November 1, 2021, 08:04 AM.

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      The web page indicates it runs on butane, not propane as you say. Just saying......

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jfrosty27 Just caught that myself. Corrections made, thanks.
      Last edited by Panhead John; November 1, 2021, 08:06 AM.

I don't smoke beef often but decided to order some prime short ribs from Wild Fork.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	1117998

The Big Bad Beef Rub is hiding how beautifully marbled they looked after trimming the fat and silver skin.

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1117999

After 9 hours at 235 on the Weber Smokey Mountain.(Should have used a lighter tray for the picture.)

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1118000

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooh!

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh boy.

Over the top chili - it was really good.
    I smoked a few of the peppers before they went in, and added a Tbsp of dark cocoa powder after seeing someone add dark morsels. The cocoa isn't noticeable as such, but there's an added level of flavor that I'd definitely do again.

Thanks BradNorthGA for the inspiration 😁

Name:	20211031_173541.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	1118004 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211030_160709.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	1118003 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211030_111931.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1118005 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211030_113139.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	1118006 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s why aluminum foil was invented shortly thereafter.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I like that set up!

• BradNorthGA
      BradNorthGA commented
      Editing a comment
      Andrrr @Caffeine88

I use 80/20 and don't skim the fat off the top. I have seen videos & read web pages where people do skim it, but I don't even bother

By the time everything is mixed together well at the end I consider that to be just part of the flavor ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
      Last edited by BradNorthGA; November 1, 2021, 11:24 AM.

Sometimes, you just GOTTA make some bacon. A 9 pound belly I found on a freezer dive, split into two chunks, cured for 5 days, and smoked on Saturday evening on the Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado (in kamado mode). The top slab actually took about 10 minutes longer than the one on the main grate to reach 150F.

Name:	IMG_6898.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	1118149

I let it sit in the fridge wrapped in foil for a day, then got out my 12" Victorinox slicer and went to town...

Name:	IMG_6944.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	1118150

Name:	IMG_6947.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	1118148

It's all vacuum sealed in packs of 8 to 12 slices, and frozen, except for a few slices I kept out for this week. I cut the odd shaped end of one of the slabs into a pound of chunks to use in beans or soup.

Comment

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Man, does that look good! How do you choose a porkbelly? Maybe a dumb question, but I eyeballed a few in Costco the other day and decide to pass. They appeared to be all 75% fat, which didn't look at all like what you've got here.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Caffeine88 I chose this pork belly because it was in the bottom of a deep freeze I had to move a week or so ago, and had been there for about 18 months! . It came from Costco, but in early 2020.

It's hard to tell what a belly is like unless you can see the ends, and even that doesn't tell you the full story. This one had a mix of lean on top, and mostly fat on the bottom, but worked out already. Fried some up for lunch today, and had it on a salad.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      That is some great looking bacon! Honestly making bacon is some of my most rewarding smokes.

Sometimes, you need to do something like make a pot of Troutman Texas red, to eat after you take the grand baby trick or treating... and if you don't have time to man a grill, just gotta brown things up and dump it in the slow cooker!

Sorry Troutman, but the wife insisted on some beans, which is a corruption of all things chili in my mind. But... SWMBO! At least I used GOOD beans - I put a pound of Rancho Gordo pinto's in the pot. I ended up adding a little extra beer and chicken stock, and the beans after boiling separately did not soak up as much extra liquid as I expected, so I thickened it up before we ate with a few tablespoons of corn meal and flour.

Name:	IMG_6940.jpeg
Views:	285
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	1118166

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha Thanks Panhead John! And letting something like this sit and simmer all day is one good use for a slow cooker. If I had left it in my DO on the stove, even on the lowest simmer setting I think I would have burned some stuff on the bottom of the pot if not stirring it occasionally.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Well at least you used good beans !!!

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, and I had a good saison on tap out in the garage, so just filled a measuring cup with 12 ounces of that. I didn't have an IPA, but the saison added a nice flavor.

I didn't have much time this weekend, but I did manage to make a batch of beef sweet & spicy beef jerky on the Pit Boss propane smoker. This is one of the reasons I bought this little smoker and it worked well. I ran it up 180F-190F for the smoke phase and then turned it down to 155F-160F to drying phase. It took 4 hours. I had always dehydrated my jerky, but I like the smokiness better and I feel like it is a superior taste to using liquid smoke in the marinade. The little Pit Boss holds about 2.5 lbs of thinly sliced beef. I used top round. It had a little more fat than I would've liked so I'll keep it refrigerated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by efincoop; November 1, 2021, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are some perfectly uniform slices there!

I was tasked yesterday by SWMBO with turning the oven on to preheat so that we could roast pumpkin seeds. Then I had a better idea! Believe it or not, this is the FIRST time I've been able to convince her to help make something on the griddle! Of course, she had cancer and then a broken femur for all the time we've had the griddle, and is just getting to the point of walking a little without a cane...

Oil, salt and butter made for some great results. Probably about 15 minutes on a 350 degree griddle did the job, tossing them around every few minutes and spreading out. They do funny things too like jet and spin as they release steam.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6903.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.90 MB ID:	1118280
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6908.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.36 MB ID:	1118276 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6912.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.85 MB ID:	1118277
    Last edited by jfmorris; November 1, 2021, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, seeing Yvonne working at the griddle has made my day. Probably even my week.

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like a natural cookin' on the griddle. You might have a hard time getting back to it.

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look great! my first attempt at pumpkin seeds years ago ended with a fire in the oven, have ‘t done them since ……

I've really been enjoying the stir-fry kick I've been on. Every iteration gets better and better. Last night I may have stumbled upon my "go to" stir-fry. (Sam the Cooking Guy recipe, actually.)

Like any stir-fry, it is extremely simple: sliced pork shoulder (i.e. country-style ribs), mushrooms, and sugar snap peas. The sauce is just three ingredients: equal parts soy sauce and black bean garlic sauce (which is really tasty!) with about a tbl of corn starch thrown in. All served over egg noodles.

Mise en place:

Name:	IMG-5095.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1118365

Mushrooms getting happy in a little avocado oil.....

Name:	IMG-5097.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1118367

Next, the peas.....

Name:	IMG-5098.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1118369

Finally the pork....I had a little bit of fear that this would turn out tough -- it is pork shoulder after all -- but with it sliced so thin it was perfect.

Name:	IMG-5099.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	1118368

Everyone in the pool!

Name:	IMG-5100.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1118370

Tasty...and so fast and quick and, if we ignore the salt, decently healthy.

Name:	IMG-5101.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1118366

Here is the Black Bean Garlic Sauce I used, which is readily available at my local grocery store:

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 5.03.18 PM.png
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	1118371

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds good. I will give this a try - if I can remember...

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      You’re really making me want to try more stir fry for sure.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      Oooh I like this cook... I have a very neglected WOK... hmmmmmmm

I'm back. Due to heath reasons, I'm following a restrictive diet. I will be cooking still, as I can.

Somebody has to share a blue walmart plate Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1308.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	1118410

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m willing to bet you aren’t the only one here on a restrictive diet, voluntary or not, so let us know what your goal is and I’d bet that someone here can help you out.

• SammyJ
      SammyJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Type 2 Diabetic, AIC 8.1

Click image for larger version  Name:	779E71F4-1972-43C4-BE17-AA88C02C176B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.31 MB ID:	1118429 Click image for larger version  Name:	DA5FFAED-E012-4A0A-9734-60B481BCA188.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.14 MB ID:	1118430 Click image for larger version  Name:	B13B8639-2339-49C8-8C0C-87F2CE3CB032.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	6.24 MB ID:	1118431

Rib roast from June turned into chili today.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; November 3, 2021, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      This should of gone into the "before and after" sticky.

My absolute favorite pork product is Italian Sausage, especially just the loose stuff. However, I’m not allowed to use it in anything, but tonight I’m cooking for me, myself and I…so game on. It’s also funny the Roux thread showing up today, because I never make a roux, but looked in the cupboard last night and had no tomato sauce, only juice. I thought, no prob I’ll just whip a a roux and thicken it up to make a red sauce. I laughed when I saw the thread today.

So, I present…I have no idea what. It would normally be an Italian grinder, but I didn’t have any hoagie rolls. So, I don’t know if it’s an Italian Grinder Joe, a Sloppy Joey, or something else entirely. All I know is it was delicious and the Chicago style Giardiniera really added the perfect finish.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Creative! Nice.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      A Sloppy Sal.

Gochujang cheesy pasta with bacon & shrimp. This is quickly becoming one of my favorite quick & lazy meals.

Name:	IMG_5866.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	1118450

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      That's very similar, she's making more of a carbonara, mine's more of a Gricia technique.

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Brilliant - I've put gochujang on lotsa stuff, but not noodles.

You went with just bacon & rendered fat & parm & gochujang, but not cream/egg?

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. The sauce is pork fat, butter(or olive oil), cheese. gochujang, and the pasta water. I like butter here because it helps the emulsion come together.

Obligatory fish taco night. Ají amarillo, garlic, and lime marinated cod. Avocado, cabbage, and queso fresco salsa. More ají amarillo on the tortillas and garlic-tumeric-habanero hot sauce on top with cilantro.

Name:	20211101_181259~2_resize_0.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	1118506

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Of course, the colors and presentation, Attjack ! Purple cabbage, green cilantro, and yellow whatever (I think the word is 'Amarillo.') Nice!

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper Yes, the aji makes the fish amarillo (yellow).

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Gorgeous - you eat with your eyes first, and that's a winner. It looks like summer flowers on a plate....

I was going to make a chicken sandwich à la chik fil a but things took a turn.....

Name:	PXL_20211102_020035911.jpg
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	1118548

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Every kitchen should have a George Forman in it. We carry one on the company plane!

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP oh no!! No George Foreman grill in my kitchen. I use Lodge grill pan and a Lodge bacon presser

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL - you might have over-swung at that pitch, sir. It ain't no Chik-fil-A, but still looks like a home run.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here