Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are babysitting the grandbabies all day Sunday, so I decided to try to cook ahead for them today. No idea if they'll eat this. If they don't it will just go into the fridge for our daughter. Found one last package of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the freezer, so I put together a quick white sauce and some frozen veggies with it and topped with Bisquick. Instant pot pie.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-10-29 14.36.25 (2).jpg
Views:	249
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1117176

Name:	2021-10-29 15.00.01.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	1117177

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      You don’t have to be so blunt about it.

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Great Comfort Food!

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I was raised on Bisquick. It's still a comfort food, and easy to make.

Tonight's dinner consisted of a flank steak, marinated for 24 hours in Meathead's London Broil marinade (great flavor!), then patted dry and grilled direct over charcoal on the SNS Kamado, flipping every minute until it was about 135F in the thick end and 145F in the thin end of the flank steak. Perfect for sharing with SWMBO who likes it medium well, and having some medium rare for myself. It was accompanied by some grilled artichokes, brushed in butter and seasoned with seasoned salt.

Name:	IMG_6885.JPEG
Views:	233
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	1117188 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6889.JPEG
Views:	227
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	1117189 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6891.JPEG
Views:	286
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	1117187

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Great combo!

One of my favorite meals of all time, corned beef and cabbage with cornbread. Since I’m a lazy bastard sometimes, I don’t do my own corned beef. I bought a package at HEB and boiled it. There, I said it, I boiled a brisket! Added a head of cut up cabbage about an hour before it was done. I also used the seasoning packet that came with the corned beef. Gotta tell ya, it was awesome. I boiled the brisket for about 4 hours and you could cut it with a fork.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2B066476-F745-42DB-ABCD-B9AAE5D71B47.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	1117202
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; October 29, 2021, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      True dat Red Man

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      What? Did you run out of paper plates?

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Why not make your own, its super easy? Want me to come show you there youngster?

Beer brat Friday
    Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe this is BrusselSproutBrad’s first post ever without his customary piece of crap excuse for a vegetable, not featured.
      Last edited by Panhead John; October 29, 2021, 09:00 PM.

• BradNorthGA
      BradNorthGA commented
      Editing a comment
      I was about to fix some brussel sprouts to go with it, but I had already had those for breakfast, brunch, and lunch so I decided to give them a brief break

• RustyHaines
      RustyHaines commented
      Editing a comment
      BradNorthGA I think you may have some 'Sconsin in you. Those look great.

Baked a different rye recipe. Called for up 48 hour's in fridge. I did close to that. Will use it tomorrow. Smells wonderful. Recipe is K.A.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...ad-ever-recipe

Recipe didn't call for caraway seeds. Not in my rye recipe. Added 2 tablespoons.

Results ham sammi with spicy mustard. Sorry, took a bite b4 thinking of taking a picture. Delicious.

Name:	20211030_114351.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1117519

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211029_132655.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.23 MB ID:	1117230
    Last edited by RichieB; October 30, 2021, 03:59 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      If the rye bread does not have caraway seeds, it ain’t rye bread. (Proclaims a caraway seed junkie)

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotta have those caraway seeds in rye bread. Looks great!

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Rye Bread is a favorite. Looks Wonderful!

Had a quick and easy dinner. Strip steaks, grilled onions and mushrooms, air fryer potatoes.

Name:	B385E366-E03F-40F3-B0D8-2C76D3825B15.jpeg
Views:	245
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	1117235 Click image for larger version

Name:	E9AC36DF-44D6-4A0E-A681-D403A206BDD6.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	1117234 Click image for larger version

Name:	4CB40B96-43A0-4D93-9B67-654AF0A52F80.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1117233

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Onions and mushrooms are a staple when I do strips. Looks great.
      Last edited by Panhead John; October 29, 2021, 10:48 PM.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfection. For all three parts.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes Sir.

Friday night pizza.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211029_190727~2_resize_57.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.36 MB ID:	1117270

Last edited by Attjack; October 29, 2021, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack a friend who used to run a pizza joint gave me all their sliced pepperoni when they closed. I portioned it out and froze. Toss them on the pizza from frozen without any problems at all.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      What brand was the pepperoni?

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Andrrr Parmacotto uncured pepperoni from Italy.

Dry-brined and grilled two strip loins over a live oak fire on the Buckaroo. Start the grate high to catch smoke. Then drop it down to sear.

Name:	PXL_20211030_013151114.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1117273

Name:	PXL_20211030_015044972.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	1117274

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s how you do it!

Name:	74DEB3A1-C609-43D1-976E-09260BC7A4F9.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	1117293

Comment

• DuckinBBQ
      DuckinBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      15lb Costco Prime Packer @ $5.99/lb. Smallest one they had.

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Awe,,,,, its just a baby.

Smoked queso and feetloaf going on the Grilla OG!
    Attached Files

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice manicure.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      That's hilarious.

K.

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      I really wanna see the final product...

Havin some fun with the fire pit.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Broccolini and roasted tomatoes? You got some good grub happening there!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Love open fire cooking!!

Pre-chili pancakes and eggs. It's the 23rd iteration of simple pancakes, and I think I'll stay with this one.

Name:	20211030_100100.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1117372 Click image for larger version

Name:	20211030_095834.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	1117371

Comment

• BradNorthGA
      BradNorthGA commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful! How do you make the pancakes?

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      BradNorthGA - here ya go!

1 c AP flour
      1 tsp bk pwdr
      3/4 tsp salt
      1/4 tsp bk soda
      1. 5 Tbsp sugar
      Whisk the dry team

1 large egg
      2 oz (1/4 cup) plain Greek yogurt
      Whisk till smooth
      Add 3/4 c milk and 3/4 tsp vanilla

Combine the dry team, wet team and 1 Tbsp oil, whisk until combined but not smooth - little lumpy is good.

I like a cast iron griddle over medium heat on my gas burner. Flip before the edges start to cook up the side and get dry. There won't be a lot of bubbles.
      Good luck!

Just another steak. Double D Ranch Prime ribeye for me and I think a Creekstone strip for the girls (I don’t always label source and grade when I break down myself). Front sear on WSCG.
    Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Not "just" another steak…looks great!

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks @ShielaAnn , I say just another cuz a good steak dinner has been pretty much weekly through the pandemic. It never seems to get old, though.

I experimented with some pizza again last night and I'm getting better at it. This is essentially the same recipe I did before; however, this time I let the dough rise for 90 minutes rather than just one hour. This made it easier to get it to the edges of the pan. Also, instead of trying to shape it by hand, I just plopped the dough in the middle of the cast iron skillet and pushed it out by hand. Much easier to make it uniform that way.

I don't think I am ever going to order pizza again. It's so easy (just takes a bit of time, most of which is waiting) and I get to control the toppings and how and where they go on. Plus, serranos are a dream on pizza (for me), so much better than jalapenos for me and no pizza place seems to have serranos.

The pizza sauce, which I adapted from Sam The Cooking Guy, is so easy and so tasty: 1/2 cup Muir Glen Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes, an entire head of roasted garlic (mashed up), and a generous pinch of salt, oregano, and black pepper.

I also like to put the sauce on in dollops rather than a layer. Makes the pizza seem more hearty this way.

This time I also experimented with "cheese to the edge." It came out okay.....it was a bit challenging to free the pizza from the pan, but a thin steak knife helped with that. Good "Detroit-style" taste and feel.

This is probably going to make me buy a 12" cast iron skillet (I'm using a 10"). I think I'll do this one more time just to ensure I have consistency, then perhaps start branching out....and playing with some of that hydration ratios yall sometimes talk about.

(Toppings here, in order: shredded skim milk low moisture mozzarella, Hormel pepperoni slices, Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausage cooked with crushed fennel seeds and hot pepper flakes, sliced serranos, and the above-mentioned pizza sauce.)

Here is the dough after 90 minutes. The flakes are pizza seasoning (1.5 tbl) I used in the dough. I think it helps a bit. I only used half this dough for the pizza. The other half is proofing in the fridge for a day, then will be frozen.)

Name:	IMG-5085.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1117472

Dough in the pan! It's a circle this time!!

Name:	IMG-5086.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1117471

Pizza after twelve minutes at 475 F. The edges appear darker than they really were.

Name:	IMG-5087.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1117473

Ready to be sliced.

Name:	IMG-5088.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1117474

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      You like a spicy pie! Love the edges. How was the crust? I often use a cast iron pan.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks like a pie I would probably regret eating too much of.

Decided to do a stir-fry tonight with salmon. I cubed up the salmon and marinated it a bit in some stir-fry sauce I threw together (soy sauce, soy paste, oyster sauce, some sugar, sriracha, cornstarch, and toasted sesame oil.)

I did the salmon first and flipped each chunk over every minute or so until they got to 145 F and I pulled them. I then did the mushrooms. I steamed the broccoli due to impatience.

I combined everything and served.

This was quite good, except for two odd things. My stir-fry sauce ended up having what I would describe as a light peanut flavor, probably due to the sriracha and toasted sesame oil. It wasn't bad; in fact, it was quite tasty, just not what I was going for.

The other thing is that I put sugar in the marinade/stir-fry sauce. Sugar burns. At stir-fry temperatures, it really burns. I mitigated this as best I could (I only had about 1/2 tbl in what was 2/3 of a cup of sauce), but there was a bitter undertone to it and I think that is what caused it.

I'll try again without the sugar.

Mise en place:

Name:	IMG-5091.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	1117560

Crust on the salmon was perfect! (There is more salmon in the dish. I was taking each piece out as it got done. Also, at the bottom of the picture, you can see some of the burning sugar that I scraped to the edge of the pan.)

Name:	IMG-5092.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1117562

Finished dish:

Name:	IMG-5093.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1117561

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here