Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison Ribs for the first time. Smoked in hickory and cherry seasoned in Bearded Butcher Blend glazed with butter. I cooked them till they hit 205 degrees. They had great bark and flavor.

Attached Files

Comment

1. Pork Belly Burnt Ends in Sweet Baby Rays and butter 2. Pork Butt in Bad Bryon Butt Rub chopped for sandwiches.
      3. Tri Tip smoked like a Brisket. Seasoned in Bearded Butcher Blend Original.
      4. Beef Ribs
      5. Pork Ribs in Bad Bryon Butt Rub and glazed in butter.

All ribs were sprayed with apple cider vinegar and water every hour.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
        Dr. Pepper commented
        Editing a comment
        Great results!

• smokenoob
        smokenoob commented
        Editing a comment
        sign me up in your army!

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        They all look great!

Had my parents over for some homebrews, some babybacks, and smoked potatoes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	71E22A9D-8122-431C-A0E1-0050FE88C278.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	1115302
      Click image for larger version  Name:	8C808D69-72BC-476D-BA30-F4CBEACA0F60.jpeg Views:	95 Size:	205.3 KB ID:	1114700
      Click image for larger version  Name:	9731E9D6-8807-4668-AA72-AA063340B267.jpeg Views:	91 Size:	244.6 KB ID:	1114701
      Click image for larger version  Name:	2A2A53BB-AC2C-4D64-A050-173577CA8F72.jpeg Views:	97 Size:	310.6 KB ID:	1114702
      Click image for larger version  Name:	11A208BA-C4BC-4B0D-9FDD-A2E45EE383FE.jpeg Views:	94 Size:	204.5 KB ID:	1114703
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 24, 2021, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Jim and Jfrosty, enjoyable cook for sure. Dr. Pepper, my dad had purchased these at Sam’s club in a 3 pack, I was worried they were going to be loaded up with loin meat. Thankfully, I really did not have to do much other the the back silver skin removed, and a few other little trimmings, I need to get them again, and test that, see how consistent that is. I am a spares guy all day long, but, my dad is a baby backs guy. I was happy to oblige him and my mom.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        The home brew tour went like this; citrye ipa, saison au miel, bourbon barrel porter, tripple, Hefeweizen, and my freshly bottled & a bit premature on sampling) barley wine,
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 23, 2021, 10:14 PM.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m definitely not showing the top photo to Lisa! Both you and your ribs are much better looking than me and mine! Ha

We have an Asian stir-fry place nearby that makes some delightful stuff. However, it is expensive and when you door dash, it is really expensive.

So I tried my hand at making chicken lo mein tonight. It turned out quite good, not great, but very good.

First I made the sauce. I used Sam The Cooking Guy's basic stir-fry sauce: 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/4 cup chicken broth, 2 tbl sugar, 2 tbl rice vinegar, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tbl sriracha, and 1 tbl corn starch. I stirred that all up and put it aside.

I then cubed three boneless skinless chicken thighs. I chopped up some broccoli and quartered some mushrooms. About equal parts of each.

The cook goes really fast. I dumped the chicken in a cast iron skillet with some avocado oil. I also put into two "clumps" of eggs noodles in boiling water. Once the chicken was done I took that out and also drained the noodles. Next went in the broccoli and mushrooms. Once the broccoli was near done I added the chicken back in, mixed it up, then created a hole in the center where I put about 1 tsp of minced garlic and 1 tsp of ginger. Once that was fragrant, I mixed everything together, added the noodles, and dumped the sauce on. Once the sauce thickened, I took the pan off the heat.

Name:	IMG-5078.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	1114724

This was quite good. I really liked how my broccoli was not mushy or overcooked. I probably should have added at least one more chicken thigh. Also, low sodium soy sauce next time....this was a bit salty, but not overly so. One curious thing....when everything is done, the quartered mushrooms look almost indistinguishable from the cubed chicken!

I'm also not a pasta person....I tend not to like noodles, but these egg noodles are really good, especially coated in that sauce.

Name:	IMG-5079.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1114723

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks good. I have found that the pasta kind of mutes the flavors, so the sauce needs to be a bit bolder. Try subbing a little dark soy sauce for some of the soy sauce. I'd also use at least a tbs of sesame oil. At least that's the way I wok it.

My wife had a friend over tonight, so I was cooking for 3. Went with skewers, glazed with Meathead's "Happy Mouth" Yakitori sauce.

I know that Meathead recommends putting the same thing on each skewer, because the meat cooks at a different rate than the veggies. True & correct, but that's a boring skewer to me. I like to munch down the length of the skewer with a different taste on each part of it. I don't mind too much if the veggies are burned a bit compared to the meats

I have become a huge fan of this Yakitori sauce; this time I made a huge batch of it and bottled the rest to put in the fridge. Should last me a good long while 👍
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BradNorthGA; October 23, 2021, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• Caffeine88
        Caffeine88 commented
        Editing a comment
        Man, that looks good. I've been eyeballing that sauce for a while now, and just haven't made time to try it. I'm gonna hafta do it.

And you really need to do the lamb chops. We seared off the second half of the Costco pack tonight. OMG. Even better, if possible.

Steak salad. Flank, shallots, Asian pear, nam pla vinaigrette.

Name:	20211023_211728~2_resize_29.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	1114825

Comment

Cheesesteak kinda night! Went to make these the other night, but my husband was late from work and we had somewhere to go, so I made them tonight.

Name:	09C4B8F9-24F2-48A8-A91D-88F25FAA1F55.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	1114834

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a LOT of meaty goodness

Dino Rib!! Served with some asparagus, béarnaise, walnuts and Dillo Eggs!!

Name:	CA56D83E-8FAA-419E-8D97-0B50043750BE.jpeg
Views:	239
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	1114951 Click image for larger version

Name:	EE26F4AB-8C2E-4603-A16E-A23FED68E4E0.jpeg
Views:	251
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	1114950

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          BradNorthGA - Béarnaise? I think he ran for office. Hahahahahahaha

• BradNorthGA
          BradNorthGA commented
          Editing a comment
          tbob4 ah yes, I remember. His supporters were sometimes called "Béarnaise Bros"

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Ted, let me know when you make those. They are amazing. You will love them. tbob4

Left over babyback ribs, and smoked potatoes, add in some sweet potatoes, eggs, it makes a great Sunday game day breakfast.

Name:	3808D007-F5FF-4EDB-AE38-BB7D8BFD3599.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	1114972

Click image for larger version  Name:	41B07344-D3A5-46E1-9055-5F64CFC6AD4D.jpeg Views:	8 Size:	474.1 KB ID:	1114964
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 24, 2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Would have been good but you had to add sweet potatoes

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Boo to ofelles. Hahahaha. I would have been right there with him however, if it hadn’t been for sweat potato French fries. I am now a crunchy sweat potato fan.

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          tbob4 I’m right there with you, I really do not like a sweet potatoes, but, for me, if you get it cut up small enough like a fry, or a potato for a breakfast hash, I can generally apply enough grease, and sear to it to enjoy them in those ways. My wife is neutral on them, I like to have them a few times a month for a breakfast hash of sorts.

Drizzled all day yesterday, so we cooked inside. Peruvian-style marinaded chicken roasted with cauliflower and sweet potatoes. Wow - now I appreciate why everyone here is raving about Peruvian chicken!

Name:	PXL_20211024_015029418.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	1114969

Comment

And for breakfast this morning.... "Smoked" cauliflower frittata from Yotam Ottolenghi's Plenty cookbook. The "smoke" comes from using smoked mozzarella (scamorza) and smoked paprika. A slice of flyingpiglet 's bread and some of our roasted tomatillo salsa to top it all off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211024_174138225.jpg Views:	12 Size:	4.56 MB ID:	1115024
        Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20211024_175113768.jpg Views:	12 Size:	4.58 MB ID:	1115025
        Last edited by theroc; October 24, 2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Love scamorza! Where do you get it? I grab some when Claro’s has it in stock.

• theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          SheilaAnn - usually at our local Italian market - Roma Deli in Pasadena. Have also seen it at Whole Foods.

2 or 3 months ago I was browsing the site here and I saw the recipe for "Disney style smoked turkey legs." I ain't never been to Disney World/Land, so I don't know anything about the turkey legs there and have no point of reference for how they're supposed to taste.

However, I did find the idea of a giant smoked turkey leg appealing. Would make me feel like a medieval king having a big feast moments before the peasantry stormed the castle with torches and pitchforks to overthrow my brutal reign (good for them, honestly)

So I bought some Prague powder #1, then... couldn't find turkey drumsticks anywhere. For weeks and weeks I'd look whenever I was in a grocery store but never saw them. Well Friday I found a 3-pack at Kroger, snapped it up immediately

Smoked them today according to Meathead's directions. They were great! Extremely juicy and flavorful (and pretty fun to eat)
        Attached Files

Comment

• BradNorthGA
          BradNorthGA commented
          Editing a comment
          STEbbq of course I did. That's how you're supposed to eat them

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          *chef’s kiss*

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          "Hail King Brad!"

Chicken wild rice soup, a Minnesota staple. Wild rice from Battle River. Hot smoked Silver Salmon from Alaska caught by a friend. A good friend after this meal, it was delicious.
        Attached Files

Comment

• BradNorthGA
          BradNorthGA commented
          Editing a comment
          That salmon! 😍

Wings for the game.
        Made on PK360, 300deg F, then finished on the hot side; but with the raised grilling rack.
        Our House Rub. sweet and hot.

Name:	FEAC6B72-A354-4767-B723-7F0C8C84C898.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	1115128

Comment

Have been really unhappy with my last few briskets. I had a SRF wagyu brisket in my freezer, but I’ve been too intimidated to attempt it based on my last few attempts. Today I took my shot and I’m thrilled with the results.

I split this bad boy into flat and point to cook separately and then finished with some traditional slices and burnt ends. All made in my PBC.
          Attached Files

Comment

• willxfmr
            willxfmr commented
            Editing a comment
            Great looking brisket!

• Jim White
            Jim White commented
            Editing a comment
            Perfection! Very nicely done. The unhappy brisket is banished to the past!

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like you did a great job!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here