Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I give you his and hers pizza.

I used the remaining half of the dough from last night. I opted to try a sheet-pan pizza as I had so much trouble making a circle last night. Ironically, I started out making a pretty good circle this time!

Toppings were the same for me.....pepperoni, Italian sausage, and serranos. Her side had just Canadian bacon cut into triangles along with pineapple. Both sides had shredded mozzarella and the Muir Glen crushed tomatoes mixed with a head of garlic I roasted earlier in the day. I did change the dried basil in the sauce for dried oregano, which I think I prefer.

Into a 500 F oven it went for twelve minutes. As expected, the crust wasn't as crisp as it was last night when I did it in the cast iron. (I also upped the temp 25 degrees to see if that would help, but I don't think it had any appreciable effect.)

It's also the right amount of dough (~9 oz) for a 1/4 sheet pan pizza. I tend to prefer thinner crust pizzas.

Still, this is really good pizza. I don't think I'm going to be touching Papa John's again.

BTW. the sausage is amazing. It is Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausage and you slice it down the back and peel it out of the casing. Crumble it into a cast iron skillet. Dust with crushed fennel seed and hot pepper flakes. Cook until mostly browned (as it will finish cooking in the oven on top of the pizza.) Incredibly tasty!

Here it is precook....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5063.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1109553

And post-cook....

Name:	IMG-5064.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1109554

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting on not pre-cooking the sausage. I will need to try that....

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks good Michael. Just an FYI, Johnsonville makes that hot Italian sausage ground also, as well as links. Take a look for it next time, you won’t have to mess with slicing and emptying cases. Also, Kroger sells a store brand hot Italian sausage, almost as good as Johnsonville…..also in links or as ground sausage.
      Last edited by Panhead John; October 15, 2021, 04:32 AM.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      But, in a 800 degree oven, with 90-120 secs total cooking time, raw sausage may not cook sufficiently? I need to try, as an experiment. Next time

OK this is not a SUWYC post... rather a rant...for the past month + my deck and my cookers are invaded by Chinese stink bugs. Awful creatures.. Each time I try to cook I am greeted by 2+ dozen of the miserable malodorous bugs from hell. My grill gloves lately have 6+ of the ugly insects inside which deposit their stench on my hands in my rush to cook a weekday meal. Each time I try to cook I have to brush them aside and in the process get to enjoy the stench they emit. Tonight I got to grill Great Lakes salmon and they seemed driven to ruin the dinner. Fortunately dinner tasted good though cooking it was miserable.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs I agree, that’s when I first started using it when I got a mouse in a Traeger years ago.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's terrible but I am laughing at the image of me trying to deal with that.

• DrJimmy2112
      DrJimmy2112 commented
      Editing a comment
      Gonna try the peppermint oil. We heard that whole cloves (the spice) works as well.

Ok, it's not BBQ or smoking and it's cooked indoors, but it is grilling! A while back I picked up a Ninja Foodi Grill with temperature probe from Costco that is an indoor grill, oven, air fryer, roaster and dehydrator. I actually quite like it. Not so hot on steaks and burgers (but OK) but I am really loving what it does with pork chops. I find that cooking them plain and adding salt and pepper after tastes the best. Here is dinner tonight, all made on the grill. 1.5" thick pork loin chop with grilled squash and carrots. I put the carrots on with the chop and the squash on about half-way through. Probably should have also put the carrots on at the same time as the squash, but they were still yummy if a bit overdone. (My first attempt at carrots on this.)

This thing is fast! About 17 minutes cook time (including pre-heat) plus a five minute rest for the chop (it times it for you). They have you cook it lower than eating temp and allow for carry-over cooking. So the chops are cooked to 130F and come out nice and juicy.

It's also an excellent air fryer, but I haven't tried any other modes yet. I also grilled some bone in, skin on chicken thighs and they came out great.

Click image for larger version  Name:	nfg-pork-chop6.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.1 KB ID:	1109616
    Last edited by mgaretz; October 13, 2021, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the Foodi too. I use pretty regularly. I do like result on burgers. hot dogs and pork chops Does a good job with french fries too in air fryer mode. Recently used dyhdrater. Hatch Pepper, and some chili pepper. Does a nice job.
      Oh nice looking cook.

Up before the rooster this morning to get this 12lb packer on the Keg
    Trimmed off the yellow fat, hit it with yellow mustard, Texas 1836 rub and a rub my sons girl friend brought with her from Dallas
    Cooking on Fogo with pecan chunks
    Calm but cool morning up here hoping the Keg will run in the 260-270’s
    Attached Files

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking forward to the after shots!

Headed up to Hocking hills ,Ohio for some camping..Prepared a little camp meat...Maple Bacon, Canadian Bacon...Cheddy Brats..
    Attached Files

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is going to be a great camping trip. Good job!

• SonOfAButcher
      SonOfAButcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, tbob4!!

Corned an Angus Flat for 7 days...24 hour ice bath..Katz Deli Rub Recipe...2 hours on the WSM...Finished in the oven...
    Attached Files

Comment

• SonOfAButcher
      SonOfAButcher commented
      Editing a comment
      No SV...Just the ice bath...To pull some salt out.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is perfect looking pastrami

• SonOfAButcher
      SonOfAButcher commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!!!

6 1/2 hours into this brisket smoke
    inside temp at 177 time to crutch
    Only complaint so far not the best colour in the Center of the meat where the water pan is other than that it seems to be prone tender....probe not prone, its like I'm bent over or anything
    Attached Files
    Last edited by smokin fool; October 14, 2021, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      So, once I was at a deposition and the client was digging himself a big hole, despite my usual excellent prep. Defense counsel, who was a friend of mine, was ex-military JAG Corps. It was a fall down case. Client said he fell backwards and even to "laying on the ground prone." Defense counsel asks: "So you tripped, fell backwards and ended up on your stomach?" Client (with a "wuderyou stupid?" attitude: "No, on my back!"

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Cont'd: Defense counsel: "Oh, because you said you landed prone." Client (still with attitude): "Yeah. . . Prone. On. My. Back!" Defense counsel: "So you mean supine?" Client, with glazed over eyes: "Huh-wha?"

You can't make this shite up.

I microwaved some rice, so this still counts right?

This is the tuna I got from wild fork, tastes good. Not great, but that's fine. I will get this again for sure.

Served with avocado, pickled ginger, and a wasabi mayo.

The rice is a small bowl of Japanese brand microwave rice from the BX Asian section. It was actually very good sticky rice.

Name:	20211014_173629.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	1109978

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      That is some fresh tuna!!!!

Tres fini.
    Turned out really well, I kinda surprised myself.
    Temps yo-you’d on the Keg all day was constantly chasing a steady temp.
    Flat was dryer than I wanted but that was to be expected.
    Point just a little further than I’d like but still tender could have been juicier.
    Give it a B-
    Attached Files

Comment

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great sure it was delicious. Thanks for sharing the process.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanx boyz....I did it for all for you!!!!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it

Weeknight pulled pork chile verde. Took advantage of some pulled pork in the freezer from a recent cook, along with some roasted hatch chiles we had in there, as well. Add some of the last tomatillos from the garden and it makes for a pretty good, quick chile verde.

Name:	PXL_20211014_015941748.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	1110024

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would have three tortillas on the side. My issue would be deciding how much to eat straight and how much to put in the tortillas. Delicious.

Did Braciole on Gasser. A variation of bbqpitboys.com recipe. These are some good ol' boys. And they can Q'. Happy with results. Will tweak a bit. Mainly have all the ingredients on hand. No regrets. Sorry no plating pictures. Hopefully you'll get the idea.

Name:	20211014_161338.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1110033

Comment

Polish Food Anyone? Homemade Polish Sausage and Pierogis from an Old School Polish Deli in Hamilton, Ontario. Served with Sauerkraut and Peas.

Name:	IMG_6231.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1110071

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks awesome!

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        If your in Hamilton ask a football fan, Oskee Wee Wee the start of the cheer for the Tiger Cat football team of the CFL.
        Hamiltonians love they're Ticats, blue collar players that give they're all for a blue collar city.
        Do not even mention, I mean this, the Toronto Argonauts....they'll be boilin tar and pluckin chickens for your bath!

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        smokin fool Ok I get it now...I have been visiting friends in Hamilton, Toronto and Mississauga for many years now. I remember when Doug Flutie was an Argonaut. Anyhow, I'm almost Canadian. In 1997 my Ex and I took a trip by car from Hamilton to Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, to Grand Manan Island, Then to PEI and finally to Newfoundland. One of the greatest trips of my life. I thought of Farley Mowat the whole way.
        Last edited by troymeister; October 15, 2021, 07:47 PM.

Wild Fork Prime Strips. Not the best knife skills I’ve seen from a butcher, but steaks were pretty dang good. Front seared on the WSCG with Weber briqs.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope you licked that plate clean.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John It was pretty clean at the end. That was garlic butter, so every bite get drug across the plate to pick up more.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I second what Panhead John said!

I give you broiled (hey, it's an upside down grill...sorta....) spicy salmon: Salmon and broccoli brushed with a mixture of gochujang (Korean fermented hot chili paste), soy sauce, garlic, toasted sesame oil, and brown sugar. Beyond amazing. (I had to eat the broccoli first as I misjudged how fast it would cook verses the salmon.)

Name:	IMG-5070.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	1110118

Comment

My kids think that I'm their private chef. Oldest had the nerve to send word that Burger would be great after school....

Name:	PXL_20211014_233838540.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	1110140

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Y'all got demands!!!!! HAHAHAHA

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ernest - I think you misspelled dementia. Just saying 😁

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ernest - you are knocking my socks off with this photo. Burger perfection.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here