Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Not-McRib Sandwich:

Made with 3 leftover spareribs from the narrow/thin end of the rack reheated in foil with additional sauce, then deboned. Thin sliced yellow onion and homemade refrigerator dill pickle chips. On a toasted store baked soft roll.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211011_163852631-01.jpeg
Views:	292
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	1108334

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks really good

Two racks of Iberico pork ribs dry brined overnight. I rubbed one rack with pepper and a tiny bit of sugar to help with the bark. And the other I rubbed with some Memphis Dust. Put them on the Pitbarrel for a little over 2 hrs.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Caffeine88
      Caffeine88 commented
      Editing a comment
      Aahhh. Dr. Pepper I see your reference above. You're not kidding about the price, but wow, that is tempting.

• Eric2662
      Eric2662 commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper Thanks! They were some of the best ribs I've had. They took such a short period of time because of the small size and because I cooked them on the Pitbarrel. I tested the temp once and it runs between 270-330. That seems to be the temp others have reported as well. Oh gosh! Uhhh.. Id have to say the salt and pepper had the slight edge on these. However it was a close call. Haha I'm glad I can contribute to making a better product.

• Eric2662
      Eric2662 commented
      Editing a comment
      Caffeine88 Heres where I ordered them from.

Iberico pork is world class pork you'll find in the world's top restaurants. Now you can buy the tastiest Iberico Baby Back Pork Ribs here at Meat N'Bone.

What Saturday night's dinner looked like.

My first cook on my new Pit Boss vertical Pro pellet smoker. Absolutely thrilled with it!!! Will write up a review if anybody's interested.

The all-time most moist ribs ever; excellent keilbasa, grilled the cornbread on my gas grill for a little char. Also, first attempt at octopus. Smoked it for a coupla hours, grilled it for a little char, let it swim in a combo of 2:1 olive oil to lemon juice and fresh chopped greek oregano from the garden. Tasty but not cooked long enough (tough).

Any suggestions out there for tender octopus? Thanks.

Name:	20211009_185122.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	1108352

Comment

• smokyYank
      smokyYank commented
      Editing a comment
      willxfmr, how/where do i post the review?

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      smokyYank go to the channels page, Top Left on the banner. Scroll down to Pellet Cookers. If Pit Boss has a sub-thread write it there. If it does not then use the sub-channel "Other" and write your review.

• willxfmr
      willxfmr commented
      Editing a comment
      @smokyYank
      There is not a sub-channel for Pit Boss, so your review would go here.
      For discussion of other brands of pellet cookers not listed above, or general cross-brand pellet cooker discussion. <b>For discussion of pellets themselves, please see the Fuels Discussion channel.</b>

Looking forward to seeing what do and don't like about your cooker.

Couple of pounds of my best pulled pork. 3 minutes in microwave it’s steaming in the bag. Carolina mustard sauce.

Name:	C1AA7EEA-5AF6-45A9-8758-EADCEDE1F626.jpeg
Views:	300
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	1108448
    next pile it on some Martens Potato buns.

Name:	60D25FC4-047D-48F0-ACAC-22D8928B7679.jpeg
Views:	285
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	1108449

and last but not least shoo the cat out my seat.

Name:	B5EA7F09-DD59-427C-A193-40CCDE702DB6.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	1108450

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      SammyJ your fur baby looks JUST like my girl!

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Kitty!

Seared salmon (in the camper) on spinach/carrot/blueberry salad. To the tune of the smoke alarm going beep-beep-beep 😂
    Attached Files

Comment

Bavette Steak with Chimichuri Butter and Fingerling Potatoes! I had never heard of this cut until recently. Really good! Similar to flank or skirt steak!
      Attached Files

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Bavette is the bomb dot com. You did it proud!

• TWBarbecue
        TWBarbecue commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman barelfly SheilaAnn Thank you much. Already looking forward to having this one again. So good!

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, here it is! this was a great meal last night! Had the left over fingerlings tonight with some shrimp tacos! Excellent!

Maple Bourbon St. Louis cut Ribs along with some Apple Pie on the smoker!
      Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        apple pie on the smoker!!!! I am going to have to try this.

• Caffeine88
        Caffeine88 commented
        Editing a comment
        That pie looks spectacular. How much smoke flavor makes it in?

• TWBarbecue
        TWBarbecue commented
        Editing a comment
        smokenoob ecowper Caffeine88 Thank you. I appreciate it. Caffeine88 Since I cooked it at a higher temp on a pelletgrill the smoke flavor was mellow and not too overpowering at all. Really good!

Salmon and another spin on the Chinois for mashed potatoes.

Name:	71FE61D2-0C92-4F96-8A2B-FBD43FB5F5D8.jpeg
Views:	278
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1108477

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I did a SV on this salmon, then the pan sear. Personally at least on this piece of salmon, I much prefer not SV, I may try it one more
        time, but, both my wife and I both think that I can cook this better without SV. I’m most excited about this chinois and mashed potatoes, incredibly smooth potatoes. I think it would be a great way to do a twice bake. I’m also realizing I like the act and senses of cooking, and SV is really boring to me, guess, I can always use it for eggs.
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 11, 2021, 07:47 PM.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with SV and salmon. While I can make it really buttery, it lacks something. It really doesn’t work well (for me) from frozen. What I marvel at, is that your photo show a beautiful, in tact piece with a great top. I don’t get that with SV.

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4 " What I marvel at, is that your photo show a beautiful, in tact piece with a great top. I don’t get that with SV."

I have control issues that seem to work well with cooking. Lol

Tis the season for squash enchiladas. Thinking about smoking the squash to add some intensity to the flavor. Thoughts?

Name:	Squash Enchiladas.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1108518

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I vote yes!!!!

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds good, I will take a shot at this. I have made sweet potato tacos several times.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t know. If it is a hit you might not want to. If you "very lightly" smoked it, it might be good. I am worried it might overpower what you are trying to do. I would love you to try it and report back. Just make sure it is your "extra" batch.

Pozole rojo con Pollo:

Name:	fullsizeoutput_eb.jpeg
Views:	286
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	1108540

Hits the spot on a cool, windy day.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_e0.jpeg
Views:	298
Size:	286.6 KB
ID:	1108539

So good, which is good since there's about 5 quarts of it.

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes! Love that you serve it with radish! My experience in New Mexico, posole doesn’t get served with radish. But when I’ve traveled to southern NM or El Paso, TX - the way you have it presented is how i only see it served! Excellent cook!

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        barelfly There's people that serve pozole without radish? Radish and diced onion seem to be the only constants in toppings for pozole, as far as I can tell.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        mnavarre when I cook it, no, I don’t serve with the trio of toppings. And I learned this from my grandparents. But, again, this is Northern New Mexico style posole. This is how they served it at their restaurant for the years they owned it and my grandfather’s sister prior to him. Regardless, it’s a wonderful meal and with the cold weather we have this week, I may need to make a batch of this up!

Beef tenderloin today, our friend Lady Di bought a whole tenderloin on sale at Costco and I cut it up today, the tenderloin weighed 7.2 # and we got 6.1# of meat from it. I smoked a 2# roast today and it turned out pretty good. I used my Traeger pellet grill but it went out when the meat was at 129F so I finished it on the gas grill. It was 149F when our sides were done and everyone thought it was perfectly cooked. We had two people who like their beef med rare and two people who like their beef medium so this was a good comprise. This was our thanksgiving meal, much better than Turkey.

Name:	E0A7670A-7CB2-4AB9-892D-C04656364BBF.jpeg
Views:	362
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	1108571 Click image for larger version

Name:	BA3C800E-CB64-42BC-8564-91BB414164D5.jpeg
Views:	287
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	1108572

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        That looks really good. I like the color a lot, given how people wanted it cooked. Nice job and compromise

• Argoboy
        Argoboy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you, I should have mentioned I seasoned with Meatheads cow crust.

I bought a spiralizer attachment for the KitchenAid and gave it its inaugural spin tonight. Lamb and pork meatballs and zoodles in a garlic-butter sauce.

Name:	20211011_190336~2_resize_97.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	1108616

Comment

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        How were the zoodles? Did they stand up to the cooking? I’ve wondered about getting one of these, but haven’t.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        They were good, barelfly I definitely didn't cook them a lot so they were al dente. Now that I have this thing I'll do more zoodles and I want to try sweet potato too.
        Last edited by Attjack; October 13, 2021, 10:05 AM.

Grilled pork chops in a harissa marinade, with tzatziki, pearled couscous, and sautéed green beans.

Name:	3FC648C1-04D7-42D2-B69F-3F1346D5CDCB.jpeg
Views:	268
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	1108644

Name:	082E82A3-EBB4-405D-89C4-82E7AF34542F.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	1108643

Name:	2054117E-488F-4F15-86F5-0132108832BD.jpeg
Views:	293
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1108642

Name:	93F780DB-6A78-4F2E-97D1-B5D8516FCCDF.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	129.4 KB
ID:	1108646

Name:	994F35A6-E339-42CB-B27C-2E83E8021D14.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1108645

Comment

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        Harissa chicken skewers is one of our favorites. I'll have to try it with pork.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        TripleB that sounds good, too .... anything special to the marinade for the skewers?

• TripleB
        TripleB commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought I had posted the recipe, but I have not. I will post it today.

Roasted Garlic parmesan wings

Name:	PXL_20211011_232906272.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	1108671

Comment

I made a batch of dough from chef Marc Vetri's "Mastering Pizza" and cooked it up on my BGE. I've made quite a bit of pizza and this batch was my personal best.

The dough is Vetri's 70% hydration Neapolitan, and also used his simple sauce (just crushed tomatoes, oil and basil) along with a bit of shredded mozz and chunks of fresh mozz. It went into the grill around 650 for about 4.5 minutes. I don't have pics of all 6 but the best ones went in around 700 and cooked for about 4 minutes.

In the past, I'd used Kenji's NY pizza dough pretty regularly, but didn't have a pizza peel until this cook (I'd been placing it on pizza stone in the grill, on a sheet of aluminum foil with some oil). This time I used a proper peel, with some semolina underneath. I think this made a giant difference, as the bottom essentially fries in oil when using foil, versus cooking properly when fed directly to the stone from the peel.

And yes, I eat pizza with wine!
        Attached Files

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Pizza and wine were meant for each other! Nice looking pie.

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks outstanding!

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here