Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inspired by Eric2662 The flavor profile it not traditional, though. I used ground lamb and used a Greek recipe for the meat sauce for Pastitchio (allspic and oregano) And used orzo instead of rice. Turned out mighty fine!

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA2A1336-877F-403E-B822-D6B64E4D7A3B.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	1108775

Comment

• Eric2662
      Eric2662 commented
      Editing a comment
      This look really good!! Did you save me any? 😋

Originally posted by ilooklikeelvis View Post

And yes, I eat pizza with wine!
    As well you should sir! Fine looking pie!

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Wine is also my preference with pizza although beer is acceptable.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FB5D8D68-9FE4-4A5D-9E7B-8F4F59C05DCC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.45 MB ID:	1108787 Click image for larger version  Name:	86F2F12F-6898-4B0D-A142-5274A7D8C9FE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.72 MB ID:	1108786 Click image for larger version  Name:	E19D2C45-4581-48CA-A478-117C72364A05.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.47 MB ID:	1108785

Two chuck roasts with the Texas Canadian seasoning. Scalloped potatoes and broccoli.

Last edited by HawkerXP; October 12, 2021, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      Curious about "Texas Canadian" seasoning. Showing my ignorance. A riff on Montreal?

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes Texas Larry Montreal Steak.

Just a an omelette, but it did have smoked ham…

Name:	7776503A-6DC4-4DCE-8B58-862A04F988E0.jpeg
Views:	292
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	1108931

Comment

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      "Just an omelette". Sheesh. I have tried many, many times and never had one come out this beautifully.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I mean that probably would be on a paper plate at my house... and no garnish... and probably overcooked... but whatever

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I love it.

Dry aged prime strip with creamed spinach, roasted tomatoes and mushrooms, and a wee dram of Ardbeg
    Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice looking meal, and love that Scotch !!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a beautiful plate

Philly on the Blackstone tonight. Needed more cheese but still tasty.

Name:	4572E516-5684-4207-B208-4354029D4888.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	219.0 KB
ID:	1109007

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually prefer my philly's like yours is, I like cheese, but to me the bread and meat and peppers with just a kiss of cheese is perfect

• ilooklikeelvis
      ilooklikeelvis commented
      Editing a comment
      Huzza! I live just outside Philly and that looks legit. I also like cheese on them but I think the meat should be the focus point.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      ilooklikeelvis Well that’s as good a compliment as one can get. Thanks!

Baked Orange Roughy - second time I’ve cooked orange roughy and really have enjoyed this. Used S&G, Pepper and red pepper flake for the rub and it was really good! Loved the addition of the red pepper for the heat and the flavor it added to the S&G.

Name:	559F22A1-96D8-4F39-A020-CA779B14985A.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	1109023

served with some green beans, rice a spinach salad.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yummo!

I give you the first pizza I have ever made (mostly) from scratch! I've always been jealous of yall that make your own, so I decided to give it a shot. I followed a recipe that Sam the Cooking Guy did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84Y5kl0lcvc

The dough was decently easy. Bread flour, dried basil, garlic powder, salt, sugar, and instant yeast and water. That I have a KitchenAid mixer (that hasn't been used in at least a decade) helped a lot. Once the dough formed a ball, I stopped and took it out, balled it up a bit more and placed it in an oiled glass bowl to let it rise.

This is the first time in my life I have ever done anything with yeast. Seeing that dough rise was pretty cool, I admit.

While the dough was nearly done rising, I cooked some hot Italian sausage with some crushed fennel seeds and red pepper flakes, as Sam did. Wow that aroma. I also made the pizza sauce, which was half a cup of crushed fire-roasted tomatoes mixed with a small head of garlic I had roasted in the oven earlier in the day.

After the dough has risen for an hour, I divided the dough (the recipe makes enough dough for two pizzas). Then with some effort, I managed to get the dough rolled out into something resembling a circle. I tried the hand-stretch methods, but I kept ending up with a rectangle, so I started over with a rolling pin that seemed to work better. I then put the dough in my 10" cast iron skillet, which was the same skillet used to cook the sausage (yum). (Sam uses as 12" skillet.)

After I lightly browned the crust on the stove, I then piled on my toppings.....mozzarella cheese, the cooked sausage, and pepperoni. I added one sliced serrano and then the sauce.

In a 475 F oven it went for 12 minutes (I checked at 10 and it needed a bit more).

This turned out really good! Amazing for my first time making dough! The crust with the basil and garlic is great. The Italian sausage with the fennel is amazing. The serrano gave the right amount of heat and the sauce with the roasted garlic was perfect. The pepperonis were not great....but I kind of new that from previous experience. These are HEB's store-brand slices and they don't have much flavor.

I was really happy with how the crust turned out. The bottom was perfectly crisp and not at all burnt. Not sure how much of that was the cast iron pan or the cooking the crust in the sausage drippings, but whichever it was (or both) it helped.

Obviously, I need to work on my rolling out the dough a bit....and a 10" skillet does make for some tiny slices. Still, I think there will be more pizza in my future.

Here's the dough hanging out in the pan as the bottom browns up a little.

Name:	IMG-5057.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1109045

And here we are with all of the toppings applied.

Name:	IMG-5058.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1109047

And after twelve minutes at 475 F.

Name:	IMG-5060.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	1109048

Itty bitty slices.

Name:	IMG-5061.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1109046

A terrible photo of the bottom.

Name:	IMG-5062.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1109044

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks great.

I know you were trying to get the dough to fit the pan, but if ya get a Baking Steel, or something similar, you won't have tyo worry about getting the dough round.
      Last edited by RonB; October 12, 2021, 09:07 PM.

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Update.....this is probably the only pizza crust I've ever eaten that tasted good the next day after being microwaved. Slightly less crisp, yes, but not soggy or chewy.

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a nice casserole you made!

Got a hankering for some Matzo Ball Soup. But nobody else in the family likes it. Had the soup for three days straight, with the last day making one big Matzo Ball (not pictured). The Matzo Balls came out pretty good for an old westside goy....
    Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Mazel tov

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Oy!

Cooked this Porter Road chicken with potatoes on the Weber. I loosely followed the citrus roast chicken recipe (minus the spatchcock step) on the free site. It tasted as good as it looks!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool shot. How do you like their hens, worth the price?

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! I do like them. This is the second hen I cooked. The dark meat on this one was a little tougher than I recall, but they are free range birds and I guess that is to be expected. I'll order them again and pay closer attention as I don't recall that being the case with the first one I cooked. This one was the smaller of the 2 size whole birds they offer. The first one I cooked was the larger size.

Not something I usually do but I needed to quell my hunger (was famished)
    Had some toppings over from my previous order and managed to squeeze in a quickie between service.
    Leftover cheddar cheese sauce, 2 pieces maple bacon and some J'peno slices.
    Pic does no justice to the yum.

​​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	20211013_192949.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1109374 ​​​​​​​

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      It's always 'yum' to grab a quickie! (If my aging memory is correct.)
      And, that is a nice looking burger.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks Dee-Lishuss, Brother! Glad ya got to eat a quick bite, amigo! Some us worry bout yer well bein, even from clear out here, on th windswept Prairies...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 17, 2021, 04:19 AM.

Name:	20211013_165423.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1109387

Two loaves of King Arthur Every Day Whole Grain Bread. Followed the recipe using half White Wheat and half AP Flour. Too warm to cut but looks good so far. I'm excited for cooler weather so Soup or Stew and Fresh Bread can be on the Menu a little more often.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      They look super good. I can almost taste that crust with some butter!

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you tried KA's Japanese Milk Bread? It's now my go to sandwich bread and roll recipe.

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      I use several KA recipes but still need to try the Japanese Milk Bread sometime. Thankyou all for the kind words.

It was one of those rainy days that needed the right food. Love me a red sauce & pasta paired with a chuck roast.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EE2B6C19-0C0B-4880-8FD0-F9CBCFA6E8DB.jpeg Views:	5 Size:	360.6 KB ID:	1109485
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; October 13, 2021, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      That is lovely!

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like some High End Comfort Food.

Name:	PXL_20211013_183547188~2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	1109544

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Dirty rice and scrambled eggs? No wait…chili?

I remember I was an admin for a construction guy when I lived in Plano. I always had to show up at his moms house for work. She made chili, scrambled eggs, biscuits and some kinda jam that was to die for. Blackberry-ish if memory serves. I still dream of those mornings!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      You always make textbook perfect looking scrambled eggs.

Habanero-Apricot shrimp, Jasmine Rice, Peppers, and Cucumber Salad.

These were my first shrimp on the roto-tisserie.

Name:	20211013_185717~2_resize_0.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	1109547

Name:	20211013_191754~2_resize_93.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	1109548

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      How long did you roto them?

K.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc Not long at all. The best part was that the sweet sauce did not burn at all since the heat was indirect.
      Last edited by Attjack; October 15, 2021, 01:30 PM.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks perfect

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here