Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 23, Fall 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is way I cook a lot of pork, and vacuum freeze it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0973.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	1101534

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Ain’t mad at ya! YUM!

Good for cool weather, and good for you! Salmon with bourbon glaze, cooked on Weber kettle for about 45 minutes with the help of slow n sear. Easy as can be.
    Attached Files

Comment

More chicken on the Kettle with a Vortex. Dome temp was close to 600°. When I checked the chicken, the skin was darkening faster than I wanted, but it didn't taste the least bit burnt. Sides were Brussels sprouts and pan fried redskin potatoes with garlic and onion.

Name:	20210927_171845[1].jpg
Views:	279
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1101551

Comment

The plan today was to smoke turkey meatballs in the pellet grill then simmer them in barbecue sauce. Not in the cards, some repairs to a shed took longer than expected so plan b it was .
        Middle Eastern turkey burgers on a cast iron griddle and home fries.

Name:	20210927_180343.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	1101568

Comment

Starting off the fall, soup season with French onion. This was my first chance to try out the beef stock I canned a while back from the bones of the side of beef we had butchered in the spring. Overall very worth the effort of making the beef stock!

I used a combination of a few different recipes, with the biggest change of rendering up some bacon ends I had from our hog purchase and then using that to sauté and caramelize the onion.
          Attached Files

Comment

• mnavarre
            mnavarre commented
            Editing a comment
            There's a few things that make caramelizing onions less fiddly and hands on. Use a skillet with a lid, preheat on medium-low, add oil and then the onions. Let the onions start to soften a bit, add a couple of knobs of butter, let that melt, give everything a stir, turn the heat to low and cover it. Give 'em a stir every 10 minutes or so, add a splash of water, and cover again. Once they're almost the color you want take the lid off and stir 'til they're done. Easy, and minimal effort.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Kenji has an instant pot recipe but it gets a lot of bad reviews.

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            USMCCrashCrew89 and I am thinking of doing it on the Weber for a smoky twist on FOS.

Name:	20210927_173846.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1101576

A little more practice with the Wok on the BGE. Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry. A recipe from Natasha's Kitchen on the net.

Comment

• Whiskeyman53
            Whiskeyman53 commented
            Editing a comment
            The practice seems to be paying off, great looking dish .

Troutman wasn't gonna share this sammy... but, provolone and the bread, in the nuker 30 seconds to melt. Horseradish and meat, nothin else but some Lil pickles

Name:	20210927_190411.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	1101584

Comment

I ran into Aldi on Saturday for a couple of things, and was shocked to find a 4.5# pack of whole chicken wings at a reasonable price, and snapped it up. So for my first cook of Fall, I fired up the Vortex on the Performer for my first run at grilled buffalo wings using the Vortex, and the Genesis II to finish off a couple of artichokes. Tossed the wings in sauce made per Meathead's recipe on the free side, but I added some pepper flakes and celery seed. All in all it made for a very nice and pretty easy dinner.

Wish I had taken another photo about 5 minutes later when the wings were a little more browned and crisp. I also never flipped the wings, so the bottom side was a little white, but still done. So far I am really liking the Vortex, and its pegging out the thermometer and wrapping it around on the grill every time. On the Performer it is SO easy to just stir around the leftover briquettes, work the ash sweep, top it off, and use the propane ignition to light up for each cook using the Vortex. This is the 3rd cook without removing it from the kettle and reusing a partial load of charcoal each time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6335.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	1101610 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6331.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	1101609 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6342.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.17 MB ID:	1101611
            Last edited by jfmorris; September 27, 2021, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
              Jfrosty27 commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotta love the Vortex. I leave mine in the kettle and restart the same way. I only take it out for the occasional cook with the rotisserie.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Jfrosty27 I think I am going to be doing the same thing. I've got the SNS Kamado for smoking in SNS and kamado mode, and only need to use the SNS in the Performer if I need overflow smoking space. The only times I used the Performer this year until I got the Vortex was for the rotisserie, as you say.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Chilled Legumes, Brother!
              Looks like some dang tasty yardbird.

Been preachin th Vortex fer many years, hereabouts, an elsewhere...glad it's workin out fer ya!

Still the only one home while my wife is on a business trip. I'm not cooking a lot. Had leftover Chinese takeout for dinner. But was bored so I baked a cake. Yum.

Name:	2021-09-27 20.46.07.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	1101632

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Because cake! That just screams an ice cold glass of milk….. but I digress to my childhood. Or last week.

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              SheilaAnn - I was thinking more along the lines of a nice port wine!

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Gorgeous Cake, Jim!!!

Couple scoops French Vanilla ice cream, mebbe a dustin of cinnamon, or cinnamon sugar, an I'd be all kinda Fat, Happy, an headin fer "Morpheous", (my recliner)

Bottle of Root Beer by my side, now, mind yall...

Smoked Pork Butt/Pulled Pork. 9+ hours, "all wood" cook in my COS. I used hickory splits. It's the first time I have done a long cook like this just burning splits. In fact I have only done one or two wood cooks of any kind. It came out great. Now I know why people always rave about "real wood smoked BBQ."
            Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210927_164610595-01.jpeg Views:	30 Size:	3.54 MB ID:	1101657 After a few hours on the smoker

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210927_202343640-01.jpeg Views:	30 Size:	3.67 MB ID:	1101658 Done! Nice looking meteorites.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210927_235616390-01.jpeg Views:	30 Size:	5.25 MB ID:	1101659 The bone-in hunk pulled open getting ready to pull/shred. The bone is at the top.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210927_235624903-01.jpeg Views:	31 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	1101660 The boneless hunk ready to pull.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210928_001047188-01.jpeg Views:	31 Size:	4.26 MB ID:	1101661 The whole thing shredded/pulled.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210928_002006545-01.jpeg Views:	30 Size:	2.05 MB ID:	1101662 Sauced on a roll with a little extra sauce on top. Yum!
            Last edited by Dewesq55; September 28, 2021, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks great!!

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats on a Job Well Done, Barrister!
              Welcome to My World.
              What's Th Verdict? More all-wood cooks, or "NO!"

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones - Definitely YES! As long as the weather is nice enough that you don't mind spending several hours outside doing not much other than tending the fire. I'm hoping to do a coupla racks of wibs next weekend.

This is where I am for now. Will post more updates as I go.

this is a black grade wagyu from snake river farms. Started at 16.8 and trimmed down to 13.2.

running at 180 for a while and will spray with ACV when it’s needed.

using lumber jack comp blend and some wood chips in the tubes as well.
            Attached Files

Comment

• willxfmr
              willxfmr commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like things are coming along nicely!

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              And a fellow Smokey owner! Haha

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              I know someone with a fairly new MAK 2 star with almost all the upgrades for sale right down the road from you... won't need those pellet tubes and trays anymore

Spanish tortilla....

Name:	PXL_20210928_010932065.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	1101729 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210928_050930543.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	1101730

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Stunning!

• willxfmr
              willxfmr commented
              Editing a comment
              Why do you do this to me? That looks amazing.

To save us all from the "Ernest Effect", I give you

Burnt toast.

Name:	RKA-burnt-toast.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	1101736

You're welcome.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe they call this "losers lunch"

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              You technique is improving, the burn is almost edge to edge. Keep up the good work!

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha, that's not right

Looking good so far. About to wrap at 165. Fat is starting to render.
            Attached Files

Comment

Meats and asparagus. Good change from fish.
              -Duck
              -Cheddar Brats
              -Wings
              -Reheated via grill KBQ Ribs

All cooked on the Webber Kettle over Kingsford.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3802.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.17 MB ID:	1101826

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                Gotta love the cheddar brats! Of course I am sure it was all very good.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Honestly, there might not be anything better. @Jfrosty

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here