Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 22, Summer 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today’s offering:

Corned beef brisket on the PBX…
    Attached Files

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Again pics disappeared!

• BuffaloBBQ
      BuffaloBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure what’s going on…one picture shows up on my iPhone, none show up on my iPad. Weird. Both photos are still there when I go in to edit…
      Last edited by BuffaloBBQ; September 16, 2021, 08:17 PM.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      They were there and disappeared on the full load of the page. The glance did look tasty!

Today, we cooked ribs on an UGLY DRUM SMOKER. It rocks. Doesn't run hot like my Yoder did.

And I take Pictures with my iPhone, put them in the cloud, and then post, case this does NOT work good on an iPhone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0878.JPG Views:	0 Size:	3.53 MB ID:	1095033
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0880.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.80 MB ID:	1095034

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0883.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.66 MB ID:	1095035

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0884.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	1095036
    Last edited by SammyJ; September 15, 2021, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like it worked really well!

Today I answered the question no one asked. Can you make a smash burger with ground chicken?

The answer is yes. The longer answer is I had about 6 oz of ground chicken leftover from making pad ga prow (Thai chicken and basil) and wanted to make something quick. Got a surprisingly good crust on it considering the lean meat and not half bad on a potato roll with some American cheese and hot sauce. Won’t be busy subbing out my 80/20 chuck but a good fall back for when the Mrs demands something leaner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EEA4D999-AE70-4E8A-B7A3-6FACC21C561E.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	1095059

Name:	1E3A8CF0-B847-4905-A589-5CBE9058455C.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1095060

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I would chop up some chicken skin to mix in? Though probably completely goes against the purpose of using ground chicken instead of fatty burger to begin with

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      MmmmmmMM!

That's 3rd iteration. Weber Kettle Lid cut down to fit just inside the drum lip. Cut out the inside, just so the weber lid has something to set on. No leaks outside at all!

Comment

Vortex cook #1 went very well and I am pleased with the results. I cut up a 3.5 pound chicken, dry brined all afternoon, then brushed with avocado oil and seasoned with Henrik ‘s KC Royale. Skin was very crispy, meat was perfect, and I can’t wait to do Buffalo wings on this thing.

Name:	image_153869.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	1095134 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_153870.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	1095135 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_153868.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	260.0 KB
ID:	1095133
      Last edited by jfmorris; September 15, 2021, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice, that's what the Vortex is about! Kind of fun when you can just let that fire rip completely for a change, no "low 'n slow" here :-)

You are going to love the wings jfmorris

Comment

Thick Berkshire pork chops grilled over a live hickory fire on the Buckaroo. Bacon on the bone.

Name:	PXL_20210916_014937563.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	1095206

Name:	PXL_20210916_020903969.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	1095207

Comment

Not to be outdone by my arch nemesis jfmorris , I too decided to do chicken wings on the vortex. In order to one up him, I added some boudin to the grill. This should teach him not to mess with me!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Panhead John; September 15, 2021, 11:34 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            RonB That is my ex-wife Patti Labelle’s delicious okra stew. It’s not soup sir.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Pics disappeared! Just those little long boxes.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Aah, you ain’t missin’ much anyway.

Hello everyone I'm new to this business. Strictly do not judge, Weber cooked 5 times on the grill. In Russia, this is not as developed as in your country, but there are more and more of us. In the photo, I was cooking chili with turkey. I don't know how real chili tastes, but my wife and I liked it.

Thank you all for your comments. =) I didn't expect such a live audience. If you have any questions about Russia, culture, you can ask. I'll be happy to tell you everything.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Aleksey; September 16, 2021, 11:22 PM.

Comment

• Draznnl
            Draznnl commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome from Chicagoland. Your chili looks good. If you like the flavor, it is a win-win.

• treesmacker
            treesmacker commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome from Southern Oregon USA! That chili does indeed look good! I also like the way you fit that cast iron pan into the center of the Weber. Would love to see more Russian recipes and cooking from you!

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            The cook looks great. I even read it with an accent!

Welcome from Western Massachusetts. Great looking cook.

Comment

• Aleksey
            Aleksey commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, I am glad to communicate! Greetings from Moscow.

Outside Chickening
          Use some briquettes to start the fire but burnt 3 huge logs of Pecan. Burn them down to coals and commenced the Chickening

Name:	PXL_20210916_192915580.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	1095502

Comment

• Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            No Panhead John we were hoping to pass it by you without you noticing!

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Bogy When was the last time I missed something? Mr. Bones don’t count. I’d have a heart attack trying to correct his spelling or grammar.

• mnavarre
            mnavarre commented
            Editing a comment
            "The Chickening" makes me think of the Highlander movies. "There can be only drums!".

Many thanks to jfmorris for putting up some Epicurious Island Pork Tenderloin recently. That reminded me it had been too long since I cooked a batch. I had great intentions of finishing on my Kamado instead of in the oven, but today spiraled out of control badly so into the oven it went. Came out wonderfully. I did dry brine about 5 hours before adding the rest of the rub ingredients. I think that enhanced the juiciness.

Name:	2021-09-16 18.58.31 (2).jpg
Views:	302
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1095600

And since the oven was going, I hit some cauliflower and corn with cooking spray and a light dusting of Hanks KC Royale rub. I'm turning into a huge fan of this rub on veggies. Thanks, Henrik

Name:	2021-09-16 19.13.31.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	1095601

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice cook! And thanks, yes it’s good on veggies too, adds a nice salt n sweet flavor. I always dust my fried eggs with it, try that if you haven’t already.

A quickie. Wait that doesn't sound right. K.A. Japanese Milk Bread, dinner rolls. Did the mini loaf the past but thought I'd go here. Not disappointed

Here is the recipe.

Japanese Milk Bread Rolls

Baking
          Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 25 to 30 mins | Servings: 8 rolls

Ingredients:

Tangzhong

3 tablespoons (43g) water
          3 tablespoons (43g) whole milk
          2 tablespoons (14g) King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour

Bread

2 1/2 cups (298g) King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
          2 tablespoons (14g) Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
          1/4 cup (50g) sugar
          1 teaspoon (6g) salt
          1 tablespoon instant yeast
          1/2 cup (113g) whole milk
          1 large egg
          4 tablespoons (57g) unsalted butter, melted

Directions:

To make the tangzhong:

Combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan, and whisk until no lumps remain.
          Place the saucepan over low heat, and cook the mixture, whisking constantly, until thick and the whisk leaves lines on the bottom of the pan, about 3 to 5 minutes.
          Transfer the tangzhong to a small mixing bowl or measuring cup and let it cool to room temperature.

To make the dough:
          Combine the tangzhong with the remaining dough ingredients, then mix and knead — by hand, mixer, or bread machine — until a smooth, elastic dough forms.
          Shape the dough into a ball, and let it rest in a lightly greased covered bowl for 60 to 90 minutes, until puffy but not necessarily doubled in bulk.
          Gently deflate the dough, divide it into 8 equal pieces, and shape each piece into a ball.
          Place the rolls into a lightly greased 8" or 9" round cake pan. Cover the pan, and let the rolls rest for 40 to 50 minutes, until puffy.
          Preheat the oven to 350°F. Brush the rolls with milk or egg wash (1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water), and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown on top; a digital thermometer inserted into the center of the middle roll should read at least 190°F.
          Remove the rolls from the oven. Allow them to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
          To make a loaf: After the dough's initial rise, divide it into four equal pieces. Flatten each piece into a rectangle, then fold the short ends in towards one another like a letter. Flatten the folded pieces into rectangles again and, starting with a short end, roll them each into a log. Place the logs in a row of four — seam side down and side by side — in a lightly greased 9" x 5" loaf pan. Cover the loaf and allow it to rest/rise for 40 to 50 minutes, until puffy. Brush the loaf with milk or egg wash and bake at 350°F for about 30 minutes, until golden brown on top and a digital thermometer inserted into the center of the loaf reads at least 190°F. Remove the loaf from the oven, and cool it on a rack.
          This soft dough lends itself beautifully to fried doughnuts. After the dough has risen once, hop on over to our Yeast-Raised Doughnuts recipe and start at step #3 to see how it's done.
          Join pastry chef Gesine Bullock-Prado as she demonstrates how to make Yeast-Raised Doughnuts out of this dough from start to finish. Watch Episode 7 of the Isolation Baking Show now.

Source: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...d-rolls-recipe

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210916_160849.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	1095627
          Last edited by RichieB; September 17, 2021, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            That's my go to recipe.

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Slather some kerrygold butter while those are still warm. Take a bite and see your toes curl
            I need a hobby hahaha

• Aleksey
            Aleksey commented
            Editing a comment
            Please write the recipe. It looks very appetizing. I have a weber 5710

Tonight's dinner included Attjack 's Vortex Fried Chicken - an awesome recipe we will be having again, for sure. Seeing greenish chicken thighs after a 4 hour brine in pickle juice was disconcerting for a minute, but the results were outstanding.

Name:	IMG_6279.JPEG
Views:	273
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	1095668 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6281.JPEG
Views:	237
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	1095670 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6284.JPEG
Views:	239
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	1095669 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6289.JPEG
Views:	240
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	1095671

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            You nailed it.

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve been saving up my dill pickle juice. (It’s important in baking rye bread as well.)

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Gotta try this!

With all this talk about Italian Beef sandwiches, and Vienna Hot Giardiniera:
          Defrosted my last vac bag from last winter's Italian Beef cook. Oven roasted green bell peppers with olive oil and salt, and of course the Vienna condiment! On a robust, high gluten baguette which won't melt under the au jus.

Name:	IMG_8895.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	1095706 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8896.jpeg
Views:	242
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	1095705

Comment

• Draznnl
            Draznnl commented
            Editing a comment
            Yum!

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            I should have piled on more meat, and poured on more juice before taking the photo! I ended up doubling both before this got eaten, for just the one open face side. Then I repeated for the second half of the baguette. 😬

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            That is some kinda sandwich. 👍

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here