Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 21, Spring 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked mushroom, bacon, Swiss burger with caramelized onions and horseradish mayo. Some of the smoked mushrooms were finally chopped and mixed in with the ground beef when forming the patties.Click image for larger version

Name:	18607E96-6E3F-495F-B47D-A0A0753FC8C9.jpeg
Views:	399
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	1046581Click image for larger version

Name:	64E2CBDC-B253-4AF3-BAFB-1B57EC3C5F40.jpeg
Views:	383
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1046582

Comment

• RamaJama
      RamaJama commented
      Editing a comment
      Brioche Buns from Sam's Choice and Checkers fries. I don't think my Wal-Marts has @Panhead John's signature line of products yet, but I'll keep an eye out!

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      We are currently in negotiations with Walmart to start carrying my "Signature" line of plates. They do stock my "Basics" line at this time. Due to the fact Target is now carrying my "Signature" line, the pressure is on Walmart. Watch for them to fold like a cheap tent.
      Last edited by Panhead John; June 17, 2021, 08:05 PM.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Great burger shot. Bet it tasted as good as it looks !!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210616_175254.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	1046680Click image for larger version

Name:	20210616_180405.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1046681 Tri-tip with salt and BBBR. Sous vide st 135 for a couple of hours and seared on weber. Sautéed crimini and shitake mushrooms with onion, garlic, and a little cream.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I've found the sweet spot for tri tip sous vide is 12 hours at 131° before searing on the gasser. Yours looks wonderful, done nicely for so short a time but at a higher temperature. Was it nice and tender? It sure looks delicious.

Kathryn

• Zman23
      Zman23 commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc It was very tender but it went a little past where I like it on the doneness scale when I seared it. Tasted great and my wife ate the leftovers for lunch, which I take as a complement!

Had a break between meetings. Decided to sear some scallops.

Name:	IMG-4805.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1046829

Comment

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      nice break!

• RamaJama
      RamaJama commented
      Editing a comment
      Those come from Laguna Madre?

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Unfortunately, no. They were some frozen ones from the Pacific Northwest, if I remember right.

Nacho burgers..thanks to the bbq pit boys.
    for the idea
    ground brisket/chuck/hamburger ..sea salt/coarse black pepper
    coat in home made salsa
    add cheddar cheese/slices of jalapenos
    form ball ..
    roll in egg wash
    coat in cruched doritos

sear in carbon steel pan

on weber 22 with sns and b&b charcoal
    cook internal 160 or so add cheese..
    let melt..
    did not have one to cut as i passed them out
    with more salsa

Attached Files

Comment

• RamaJama
      RamaJama commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds awesome

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw that video, good stuff !!!

• Whiskeyman53
      Whiskeyman53 commented
      Editing a comment
      We're eating good tonight Martha.

Fresh sockeye salmon and yellow potatoes on the gasser. Smoked the potatoes with some apple wood chunks before the salmon went on.

Name:	89B619B8-842A-4871-8C80-80EE5706D01B.jpeg
Views:	384
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	1046955Click image for larger version

Name:	13727CE6-BC76-4D94-99C2-3DEB73FD9E34.jpeg
Views:	365
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	1046956

Comment

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John No time for plated pics, too excited for my first fresh sockeye of the season 😋

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Redman It's been nearly 20 years since the last sockeye sports fishery on Lake Washington in Seattle. It was amazing to let out the downrigger, and pull up a Sockeye just 100 meters from the 520 floating bridge carrying 20,000 cars a day across the lake. With Mt. Ranier in the background. I assume this was caught in Puget Sound? BTW, very nice!

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Dr. Pepper This was fresh Alaskan salmon.

Arugula salad with prosciutto, goat cheese, apple, toscana olives, grated Pecorino Romano, balsamico di modena, virgin olive oil, grilled summer squash, and ginger lime chicken.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resizer_16239906785660.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	1046991
    Last edited by Attjack; June 17, 2021, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Supermarket porterhouse front seared on the forbid over lump charcoal them finished in the smoker at 235°F to an IT of 122. It carried over to 124°F. Side of instant garlic mashed with extra fresh garlic grated and added plus extra butter 🙄.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210618_002854719-01.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	2.95 MB ID:	1047031

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210618_003045097-01.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	3.40 MB ID:	1047032

It only took about 5 minutes, flipping every 30 seconds to get this sear:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210618_005601449-01.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	1047033

This is why I rest my steaks. This was after a10 min rest - no juice on the board:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210618_010456714-01.jpeg Views:	6 Size:	4.04 MB ID:	1047034
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210618_010609361-01.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	3.73 MB ID:	1047035

And here's the FireBoard session chart:

Name:	Screenshot_20210618-090041-02.jpeg
Views:	352
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	1047042
    Last edited by Dewesq55; June 18, 2021, 07:05 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow. That steak couldn't be more perfect. Did you dry brine and/or use a rub?

Kathryn

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc - Kathryn: I dry brined for a couple of hours uncovered on a rack in the fridge. Then I put a moderate sprinkling of McCormick's Spicy Montreal Steak Rub on both sides right before putting it on the fire. For doing the front sear, I always keep the meat in the fridge until the last possible moment.

David

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Dewesq55 Panhead John I also vote for Land 'O Lakes, but the unsalted. They now have a European style with 82% Butterfat. Our local QFC (Kroger) intermittently puts it on sale. I load up, put a few pounds in the freezer (No need to rewrap.) I would like to see a blinded taste test up against Kerry Gold, or others. (off topic, but I also prefer my butter cold, not left at room temp.)

Cooked a Costco Prime Ribeye last night. Since I’m usually cooking a single steak, I’m able to use just one of the Weber charcoal baskets for the reverse sear. I’ve quit banking the coals or using my SnS insert for steaks. I use less charcoal with the one basket and I still get a great sear. The steak was maybe 1” from the coals on the sear.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; June 18, 2021, 07:19 AM.

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      To save charcoal, turn your chimney upside down, fill it with charcoal, light it, and cook that single steak over the chimney. It's a bit easier if ya buy a smaller grate, but not absolutely necessary.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John doesn't think in terms of economical. Instead he just wastes the planet's resources in pursuit of his gluttonous habits. Shame, shame !!! Oh yea and he drowns it with that pee water he calls beer, Coors Light !!! Double shame !!!

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman. You have hurt my feeling for the last time! I’m tellin Huskee on you. 🙄
      Last edited by Panhead John; June 18, 2021, 02:57 PM.

Chicken rubbed with Oakridge Chicken and Pork Rub (gold bag). Mesquite, because it’s what I have right now. Pea Salad (English peas, sour cream, mayo, bacon, red onion, sharp cheddar, white pepper). not shown: corn-on-the-cob dripping in butter and cracked black pepper.

Name:	A7E07853-4C35-4571-B5A7-2A73B9119691.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1047122

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      That chicken is money !! I use Oakridge Secret Weapon on mine. Really good looking pea salad as well.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful chicken, pea salad, and clean plating! Nicely done.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a winner. Looking great!

Lunch and it's, well, you know....

Name:	IMG-4807.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1047162

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      there's the shrimp.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, I knew it was just a matter of a day or two before they popped up again. 🥸 Never get tired of good looking shrimp! Broccoli…..that’s another story.

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Michael_in_TX you make me laugh!!! Shrimps!!!!

BLT on toast with homemade bacon. I sliced up a plum tomato since that's all I had in. This homemade bacon is really growing on me. Barbara liked it too.

Name:	PXL_20210618_165741199-01.jpeg
Views:	346
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	1047179

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      LOVE a good BLT. Try it with peanut butter for extra dimension of flavor and umami.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds interesting, Troutman

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      I also like the homemade bacon, although my wife doesn't. Oh well. Mine also looks dark on the edges, from the sugar I think. Tastes delicious however. And looks delicious as well.

Fried shrimp and Hickory Smoked Scallops on the grill. After drying the scallops when the grill was almost ready, I put the scallops in the freezer for a bit, to get them cold as possible and to slow down the cooking process while I smoked them. I put them in a dry CI skillet off heat for about 5 minutes to absorb a little smoke. I then removed the scallops and put a little butter, white cooking wine and Canola oil in the pan and placed it over the coals to searing temps. Once it was sear ready, I added the scallops and a little minced garlic. Cooked for 3-4 minutes. They came out really good with just the right amount of hickory smoke.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; June 18, 2021, 07:20 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m going to give this a go. I have a bag in the freezer. Also going to try direct grilling. You done good PJ.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve! I think the only thing I’d do different next time is omit the Canola oil and go with straight butter.
      Last edited by Panhead John; June 19, 2021, 08:27 AM.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      My favorite batter for the fried shrimp is: Mix some flour and cold water together to the consistency of ketchup. Add a tablespoon of canola oil, and lots of Tony Chachere’s and a little cayenne pepper. Let your shrimp rest in the batter for about 5 minutes before frying. Yum!

Did ribs two ways on the PBC for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary...

Name:	IMG_2298.JPEG
Views:	322
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1047360

Name:	IMG_2299.JPEG
Views:	315
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1047361

Name:	IMG_2300.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1047359

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      1. I LOOOVE hung ribs. And those look great.
      2. It was your PARENTS' 50th anniversary and tomorrow is my BROTHER'S 50th anniversary.
      3. Sheesh - I'm fricking old!!!

• clb239
      clb239 commented
      Editing a comment
      Dewesq55 Actually tomorrow (6/19) is their anniversary...small world...

The rack on the left was hung the whole time the one on the right was wrapped for part of the cool...

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      To make it even weirder, my brother, who is a clergyman, married me and my ex-wife on his 5th anniversary. If I hadn't gotten divorced, tomorrow would be my 45th.

Grilled some great Berkshire pork chops with Hank's KC Royale over a live fire on the Buckaroo. Served with braised cabbage and roasted yams.

Name:	PXL_20210619_011404393.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	293.8 KB
ID:	1047386

Name:	PXL_20210619_014756781.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	1047387

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful! Nice balance of colors and texture on your plate. (Only missing the PJ monogram.)

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice!! That's the way to cook pork chops, they look awesome!

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Henrik - of course! it's all in the rub....

The pit is closed temporarily due to weather. Sautéed some recently caught Ono. Hope the coast clears for the pork butt planned tomorrow!
    Attached Files

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope the weather holds for ya.

• theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow. That's a formidable (and delicious) looking fish. Stay dry!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hell yes!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here