Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC)- Volume 21, Spring 2021

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried something new to me tonight. I made the hassleback potatoes on my Weber. The rib eyes were done on my RecTeq until 105° IT and then thrown over the hot coals to sear. Usually I sear the steaks on the RecTeq at 400° with grill grates.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Lookin mighty dang dang delightful, leastwise, from where I set..., Brother!

Ain't thing one wrong with some frozen mixed veggies, as well...

(If'n yers was fresh, I do truly apologize, Amigo!)

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      The potatoes look magazine worthy! Fine job!

Thai green curry shrimp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-05-06 20.04.50.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	1028188

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Ohhhh, Jimbo!!!!

Any extry sauces/condiments, or Straight Up?

I know it has plenty spice goody, when made well...

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      Bonesy: I followed this recipe: https://www.chewoutloud.com/thai-green-curry-chicken-6/
      Subbed shrimp for chicken, used only one can coconut milk and added a serrano pepper. Also added some zucchini. Turned out great. Fresh basil and cilantro at finish.

Beef Short Ribs & Popovers
    Attached Files

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      my mouth is waterfalling.......

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      Too close for comfort! Making me drool!

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks amazing! Plus I haven't had a popover in years

Flank steak continues to challenge me. This is one tough cut of meat!

I did marinated flank steak with asparagus rafts. The marinade is from Hey Grill Hey (https://heygrillhey.com/grilled-flank-steak-marinade/) The balsamic vinegar gives it almost an Asian flair. (I also substituted thyme for rosemary.)

The asparagus rafts were Steven Raichlen's....two parts sesame oil to one part soy sauce and one clove of garlic and just brush on the rafts. Very, very good.

The cook was weird. I've only used lump charcoal once in my life and I've been wanting to switch over to it for direct grilling. So I decided to try lump and a steak at the same time lol.

Wow lump (I was using Royal Oak) burns hot, very hot. I was planning to do the steak four minutes a side and when I flipped it, it was completely black! I either thought I had completely burned it or at least burned all of the brown sugar in the marinade. I flipped the steak, got a decent crust on the other side and then finished indirect. The steak climbed up in temp very fast (my grill was at least 550) and at the thin end it was quite well-done....at the thick end, just a hair rarer than I like, and in the middle, perfect.

No matter how thin I try to cut flank steak, even against the grain, it is tough. Good beefy flavor, just tough. To my utter surprise, the steak did not taste burnt at all. What was pitch black was just the sugar perfectly caramelized into a wonderful crust.

I only marinated the steak for three hours. Next time I try this....I'm going to go for overnight to see if that helps.

Here's the steak cooking on the first side. (I did not get a shot of the "charred" side.)

Name:	IMG-4738.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	1028204

Here's the finished plate.

Name:	IMG-4739.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1028203

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I do that Raichlen asparagus recipe too from his Grilling book. Nice job on the meat too 👍

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      It wasn't brisket-cooked-only-to-160 tough, but tougher than most. It was cheap. I get much better results with skirt steak, but I can't seem to readily find it at my local store....which is messed up as I am in Texas.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Michael_in_TX Hard to tell by the pics, but you might try cutting the flank steak in thinner slices, that helps with the toughness factor. Also, I’ve found good flank at Costco, if you’re a member.

Blueberry patch is "pumping", blueberries 3 meals a day till further notice! Tonight, Salmon grilled in xtra virgin olive oil, kissed with salt, pepper, paprika, tarragon, Italian seasons, & some creole seasoning. Cooked to 125 deg in thickest section (may go 120 deg next time) Nestled on spinach, carrots, Hass avos and of course.......mandatory blueberries just picked! And, special mention, Annie’s Papaya Poppy Seed dressing (better than drugs)!
    Attached Files

Comment

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      I need to pick some blueberries this year. I make mead with them, among other things.

• Jim White
      Jim White commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks so good. My blueberries are still about a week away. Can't wait.

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Jim White I’m surprised yours are not in yet, maybe a different variety? We have early and late varieties so second wave should be in a month or so. Be sure to give a healthy dose of Espoma soil acidifier and Espoma organic Holly-tone Evergreen & Azalea Food in the early spring!

The other night I made breakfast for dinner, yum! Took it to work the next day and they killed it : Breakfast casserole using wild hog breakfast pan sausage, fresh free range eggs, and home made sourdough:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210506_132636.jpg Views:	7 Size:	5.30 MB ID:	1028226
    Last edited by 58limited; May 6, 2021, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Dinner tonight: Sous vide grass-fed teres major seared in cast iron with oven roasted potatoes. Best one I've made yet.

Name:	IMG_20210506_203731.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	1028231

Comment

As any top flight athlete would do, I’m in a period of intense training for an upcoming event. I will do my best to be a fat hog at the upcoming Texas Meat Up. Biggest belly wins. I cannot lose this competition, especially to that scoundrel Troutman. If I lose to him next month, I’ll hang my head in shame. 😢 Costco NY Strip. Turned out...pretty good. The cat soup was for my French fries not pictured. I was hungry. Please do not hurl insults because of the catsup pictured.🥸
        Featured plate is from the Premium PJ Line. Available at www.pjsstupidplates.com

SheilaAnn
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Panhead John; May 7, 2021, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm trying...........but the Ketchup is touching the steak!

• SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John I see you got the die lines in time to get the premium line done. Good job.

Now lose the ketchup and no one gets hurt!

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Haveta agree on th whole dang danged "Top Flight" thing: usedta Ground Crew fer a balloon ride service Also, done seened me several dirigibles...

With alla yer Hot Air, brother.?.?.?...

Yer a Shoo-In...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 7, 2021, 08:44 PM.

Combination pizza.

Name:	Resizer_16203664337600.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	1028303

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Holy schmoly, now that’s a pie I’d like to feast on!

Been off the board for a little while. For the past month I’ve been in the "Live Free or Die" state helping my parents while my 90 yo father is treated for colon cancer. He had surgery to remove the cancer and was in hospital for 3 weeks, came home for a week, then my mother and I had to take him back to the hospital earlier this week due to some complications and he is in surgery again as I type this.

While my father was home, I grilled up some nice 1.5” bone in ribeyes because he felt like eating steak. He really enjoyed this meal.

I’m thankful that my wife and kids can pick up the slack for me while I am at my parents house.

Name:	12291384-E4A5-480B-8C77-E5C9EE83E958.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	1028398Click image for larger version

Name:	2C43F74A-9DEA-4DB4-A562-044CD6FA54CA.jpeg
Views:	318
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	1028396Click image for larger version

Name:	92912E1C-5703-4C9B-9206-B03801E69A4C.jpeg
Views:	311
Size:	237.9 KB
ID:	1028397Click image for larger version

Name:	90F3B06E-9F70-459D-961E-EB43918B66EC.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	1028399Click image for larger version

Name:	0ABB4E7D-E155-4FF6-BF63-BFA1D0E4AB80.jpeg
Views:	324
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	1028400

Comment

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          Wishing your dad the best.

• tamidw
          tamidw commented
          Editing a comment
          kjbarth Prayers to your dad for a speedy recovery.

SheilaAnn prayers and hope your MIL is ok too.

• kjbarth
          kjbarth commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you all for the good wishes. The surgery went well, now waiting for when they say he can come home.

Smoked a 7# breast a couple of days ago. Briquets and post oak chunks with Oakridgeboys Ranchero rub. 235F for 3 hours

Name:	Turkey Breast.JPG
Views:	368
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1028516

Today made Turkey Hatch Chile Tortilla soup

Name:	Turkey Hatch Chilie Tortilla Soup.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1028517

Comment

First Attempt at a Fried Chicken Sandwich. Sort of followed Sam The Cooking Guy's Recipe. Was tasty but needed more seasoning in the dredge. First time deep frying anything. Was a bit of challenge to manage oil temp on the grill. The Wife liked it so it will be on the rotation.

Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            grillinglousiana Always gots me th Mike's, both white, an black, th slap ya mama in both yeller, an red, couple Tony Chachere's, an a few my own Cajun, an Creole seasonins I've been makin fer long many years... (Sum dem, dey Big Big Hot, Uh-Huh, Mon Sha!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 8, 2021, 05:38 AM.

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            RichieB I used a CI pot on the grill following Meathead's advice. It worked but the heat was spread out and took a while for the oil to get to temp. I moved it to a side burner and it was better. Will start there next time.

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            grillinglousiana I used potato buns and boneless skinless thighs. Marinated in buttermilk, pickle juice, Hot Sauce, and SPG. Added SPG to flour. It needed more. Love the Hot Honey idea. Thanks!

From last night, New York strip, front seared over lump charcoal and finished in the propane smoker at 235° to an internal of 122°.

Name:	PXL_20210506_231049931-01.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	1028524

Comment

• RichieB
            RichieB commented
            Editing a comment
            Dewesq55 you really need to work on your cooks. You hear that knock at your door? It's me coming for some of that. Perfect, love the bark.

Country-style pork ribs from the butt. I followed Malcom Reed's recipe pretty much exactly.

Name:	PXL_20210507_232953986-01.jpeg
Views:	355
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	1028526

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            It really is a couple of great looking cooks. RichieB Unfortunately those are not from my collection. Those are from my arch nemesis Martha Stuart.

• RichieB
            RichieB commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John, how do you know they are from highly esteemed M.S collection? Asking for a very confused friend.

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Trust me...I know plates.

Been thinking about Snow’s and Texas a lot, so decided to try something different and halve a yard bird like you’ll see smoking at Snow’s. Pulled back the skin on the breast and seasoned well with Caribeque AP. Cooked at 390 on the MAK with Flame Zone covers off. It was tasty, girls were extremely happy (I’d probably only cook beef and sausages if they weren’t around).

Served with broccoli cheddar rice and bread from the local Farmer’s market that started up today for the season.
          Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here